Author Topic: Info needed - Steel Wolves invasion of Northwind  (Read 3697 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Info needed - Steel Wolves invasion of Northwind
« on: 21 February 2011, 02:25:25 »
Pretty much as per the title; I'm looking for some information about this battle; a brief idea of how long it lasted, the forces involved and any key actions or other important moments in it.

Thanks in advance
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Re: Info needed - Steel Wolves invasion of Northwind
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2011, 10:08:09 »
Away from my books, so going from memory here.

The invasion lasted a few weeks at least, perhaps a month.

The Fort, capitol of Northwind, was abandoned to the Wolves.  Castle Campbell was destroyed to deny it to the Wolves.
The Highlanders had mostly infantry.  Two Mech's.  Tara Campbell's Hatchetman and her generals Koshi.  Oh and Ezekiel Crow was there with his Spider, so 3 mechs.

The Steel Wolves had fewer troops, but more mechs IIRC.  Tassa K's Ryoken II and a few others. 

I'll try to dig my books up to give you some more definitive info.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2011, 15:21:54 »
The Highlanders had mostly infantry.  Two Mech's.  Tara Campbell's Hatchetman and her generals Koshi.  Oh and Ezekiel Crow was there with his Spider, so 3 mechs.

:Sigh:

I really, really hope Catalyst has the gumption to retcon those ****** force numbers out existence. Hell, maybe even the entire trilogy.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2011, 15:50:54 »
:Sigh:

I really, really hope Catalyst has the gumption to retcon those ****** force numbers out existence. Hell, maybe even the entire trilogy.

It all ties into the belief that absolutely everyone agreed with Stone's call to dismantle all weapons of war.  And of course, all the writers bought into that idea without questioning it.  Thus the awesome and amazing light mechs that are both few in number and powerful beyond belief. 

Really, one good medium mech would make mincemeat of all the light mechs engaged in these battles as written.  As a side note, no heavier mechs were available because they were short of supplies, parts, and accessories.

And we all know that this IS Northwind, home of the Highlanders with lots of toys and gadgets not yet accounted for.  Personally, I think the low quality troops and sparse equipment was the result of militia defending house and home while front line troops were busy elsewhere. 

There's no explaining the Steel Wolf battleforce or excusing it.  Seriously, anything not able to overwhelm a Planetary Defense Force that might have as many as a lance of modified Agromechs shouldn't try to look like Space Pirates having a bad day. 

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2011, 19:09:53 »
There's no explaining the Steel Wolf battleforce or excusing it.  Seriously, anything not able to overwhelm a Planetary Defense Force that might have as many as a lance of modified Agromechs shouldn't try to look like Space Pirates having a bad day. 

GC

If you recognize the fact that the Steel Wolves, along with every other splinter faction at the time, are, at best, renegades and bandits and, at worst, terrorist organizations within The Republic, then it actually isn't as crazy as it seems.

Sure, a proper military would have much stronger forces, but not the angry brats running around throwing tantrums and breaking each other's toys.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2011, 19:11:08 »
Thanks for that. I'd really appreciate it if you could get the dates specifically.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2011, 20:05:40 »
We don't have specific dates, just months.

The first Steel Wolf attempt was in June 3133.
The second was in November 3133 through February 3134.

Register