Author Topic: Awesome and Charger in TRO 3025  (Read 4202 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Awesome and Charger in TRO 3025
« Reply #30 on: 24 February 2019, 00:43:13 »
*snip*

I'm having trouble figuring out where you are and aren't agreeing with me, so let me try to lay out my argument chronologically.

First, Retcon: "...is a literary device in which established facts in a fictional work are adjusted, ignored, or contradicted by a subsequently published work which breaks continuity with the former".

1) TRO 3025 originally wrote the charger as being in service with every house, but most particularly focused on its use by the Capellan Confederation. This created the impression that it was a primarily capellan machine, complete with a specific capellan variant. The text also implied that the mech was long out of production.

2) The house books (particularly House Liao and House Kurita) indicated that the charger was in fact being produced by House Kurita, and the mech has all of one mention in the house Liao book, as being common among a single regiment of the Tikonov reserves. This is where my joke about taking a lemon away comes from, as it turns what originally appeared to be a signature capellan machine into a signature combine machine.

This might arguably be called a retcon, but then it can also be arguably described as an expansion of the original fluff. There is no specific statement of the Charger's origin or its most common user in the original TRO entry. Even listing Wells as the original manufacturer in the TRO entry is NOT contradicted by the house book's listing of Luthien Armor Works as the current producer, since it was already established that the League took the mech out of service and a change of manufacturer isn't the least bit unreasonable. Thus, no concrete information about the mech was changed.

Even so, because the TRO fluff focused on the mech's use in Capellan service and virtually ignored the mech's use in combine service, it can be argued that the implication was changed when the house books assigned it to the Combine. So you could argue it was a change, but you could also argue that it was a result of reader expectations not matching what was ultimately written.

The 3039 fluff, however, is not a retcon. It does not contradict any information that comes before. It just incorporates the later house book fluff into the original 3025 fluff. Both accounts are true and fit together. Wells technologies built a failed lemon, the Capellans got their chargers, the Combine got their charger plant.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #31 on: 24 February 2019, 01:10:17 »
And the Combine sent Chargers to the Capellan Confederation as military aid, as well as converting their existing chargers to more capable models starting in the 3030s.
And the Capellans, understanding that the gift of CGR-1L Chargers was really not much of a gift at all, refit them into the truly terrifying CGR-1A5.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #32 on: 24 February 2019, 01:40:08 »
In 3025 the FWL was producing 486 mechs per year  (Of TRO3025 models)

Of those 486 only 34 were Assaults.   7% of production.

7 Awesomes
12 Battlemasters
11 Stalkers
4 Goliaths

Later post-RO2750 sources also added the Thug to that list but we don't have #s for it  & its likely they would be probably be very few.
The T-Bolt was also added to the list in TRO3050 with 7M production at Keystone that isn't listed in the original list.

The Awesome & Marauder are both noted as having non-PPC variants that the FWL uses to compensate for limited PPC production from a single surviving PPC factory.

Heavy Mech production was considerably higher at 124 chassis per year. (25.5% of production)   (Not counting the T-Bolts)

Orion-17+25=42
Marauder-8+13=21
Warhammer-17+5=22
Archer-15
Crusader-7
Rifleman-8
Quickdraw-9

The single PPC factory quote is also from house marik SB on the same page as the mech production & can't keep up with replacements.
This lead to them brokering a deal w/ Liao for 500 Ceres PPCs as well as the mentioned Awesome/Marauder variants.
The only functional factory is on Cambelton but there are rumors that Andurien got the inactive Magna factory on Lopez up & running secretly for their own regiment's uses.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 24 February 2019, 02:49:40 »
Making the -1L an import instead of a homegrown variant was a particularly baffling and unnecessary change.
IRL there are countries who make their own modifications to tanks and warplanes that they import.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 24 February 2019, 05:38:49 »
Yes. but irl we don't have a lostech scavenger culture either (when it comes to localized variants of imported military hardware). It's not impossible or "wrong" per se, but it does run counter to the early setting's lostech vibe. So I can see where skiltao is coming from.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #35 on: 24 February 2019, 08:24:14 »
Uh... every technical everywhere?  ???

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 24 February 2019, 08:33:21 »
Uh... every technical everywhere?  ???
Scavenged FrankenCars are the equivalent to, well, armed IndustrialFrankenMechs. The CGR-1L is more like the F-104G.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 24 February 2019, 09:06:36 »
I see your point, but I'll still hold up the Eridani T-Bolt as a counter-example.  It doesn't necessarily take a factory to make variants.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 24 February 2019, 09:55:39 »
The Davion BattleMasters, which are their own variant, aren't produced but converted, and the very idea behind the conversion is to increase their durability as they cannot produce BattleMasters. They don't evidently convert all of their BMs though, as Hanse Davion piloted a unmodified BM.
So yeah, definitively don't need factory for variants.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #39 on: 24 February 2019, 10:49:18 »
The Davion BattleMasters, which are their own variant, aren't produced but converted, and the very idea behind the conversion is to increase their durability as they cannot produce BattleMasters. They don't evidently convert all of their BMs though, as Hanse Davion piloted a unmodified BM.
So yeah, definitively don't need factory for variants.

The fluff annoys me.

"Boss, why are we removing the six rack?"
"To make them more durable and keep them from blowing up."
"Why don't we remove a half ton of that machine gun ammo and put more armor on too?"
"Are you INSANE?  that would leave the pilot only 50 salvos from each gun?  What if he runs into more than 28 infantry platoons before he can reload?"

:(
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #40 on: 24 February 2019, 10:52:20 »
Now I pull out Strategic Operations. Let's see...
Class C Re t (Maintenance): This kit allows players to replace
one type of armor with another (all locations); for example, replacing
standard armor with ferro-fi brous. A Class C kit also enables
replacement of a weapon or item of equipment with any other,
even if it is larger than the item(s) being replaced; for example,
replacing an ER large laser with an LRM-10 launcher and ammunition.
Players may also change armor quantity and/or distribution,
move a component, or add ammunition or a heat sink.
So no need for factory, good maintenance facility is enough for that. Doesn't mean factory can't be used for custom jobs (instead of building new 'Mech)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 24 February 2019, 13:19:58 »
The funny thing is, many of the 3025 factories were fluffed as producing the standard configuration even if the House had a variant in their services.

So you have the Locust-1V being produced & then being converted to a 1S/1M for the FedCom states.

The Battlemaster, Warhammer, Spider, & Shadowhawk are noted examples of field refits House Davion did even when the mech itself was not in production.

Meanwhile the Marauder, Crusader, Phoenix Hawk, Wasp, & Locust are all produced & converted later in theory since the house books listed the standard model as the Prodution one.

Marik was an exception where the Wolverine & Marauder are noted as producing the M-Variants, but I think that might have been evolution of the book series where they got more specific as they did more books.

It is odd that Davion BattleMasters kept their MGs when they removed them from their Wasp, Locust, Phoenix Hawk, Crusader, & WarHammer variants.

As for why it didn't loose 1/2 ton, the TRO was before 1/2 tons were allowed in game.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 24 February 2019, 13:49:24 »

Later post-RO2750 sources also added the Thug to that list but we don't have #s for it  & its likely they would be probably be very few.

TRO3039 states "[...]leaving Earthwerks’ Keystone line to produce about a dozen Thugs a year until the technological renaissance [...]"
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 24 February 2019, 18:04:37 »
I thought the ruling was in case of conflict, the newer publication overrules previous release info?  Or am I wrong there?  I get people want continuity but sometimes you just need to let it be.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 24 February 2019, 18:05:31 »
I thought the point was there was no conflict...  ???

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 24 February 2019, 21:48:30 »
I see your point, but I'll still hold up the Eridani T-Bolt as a counter-example.  It doesn't necessarily take a factory to make variants.

Especially the SW era variants.

Most of them are only C-Grade for changes in Armor Points &/or # of Heat Sinks.

A few reach into D-Grade for adding a weapon where there previously was no weapon.

I think the only one that hits F-Grade is the Challenger-SB where its been declared that changing gyro tonnage is F-Grade v/s just changing Type, which is kind of what was originally implied in the way you can change engine size at D but type is F.

I personally don't agree with that ruling in the rules forums especially since the SB was fluffed as a Merc Field Refit to begin with & not a factory refit, but sometimes I don't think people consider existing examples & fluff when they make a ruling in the forums section for questions.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #46 on: 24 February 2019, 21:59:21 »
Nothing stopped the Combine from building the Chargers and SELLING them to the Capellans...

Just because you build it doesn't mean you use it.  If you can find a sucker to buy them and probably fulfill a Concord of Kapetyn clause of mutual defense by selling some of your production material, you'd sell Chargers too, right?  :D
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #47 on: 24 February 2019, 22:25:21 »
Scavenged FrankenCars are the equivalent to, well, armed IndustrialFrankenMechs. The CGR-1L is more like the F-104G.
if India can refit their old russian-export MiG-21 with modern avionics and the ability to use NATO munitions, i don't see why BT nations couldn't refit designs. and we've had designs like the MiG-21 2000 variant developed by IAI, who doesn't build them, just buy old ones and refit them to new specs before exporting them again.
and you have things like the MiG-29K, a variant of the MiG-29 developed by the russians, never used by them, but exported to india.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #48 on: 25 February 2019, 00:19:56 »
I'm having trouble figuring out where you are and aren't agreeing with me, so let me try to lay out my argument chronologically.

Yeah, I did not respond as clearly as I could have. My apologies.

First, Retcon: "...is a literary device in which established facts in a fictional work are adjusted, ignored, or contradicted by a subsequently published work which breaks continuity with the former".

Well, how particular do you mean to be about how explicitly the facts are established or contradicted? Like, here's an example I've used before:

A guy and a girl are in an apartment, getting ready to go on a date. The girl goes into the bathroom, out of the reader's sight, and the two continue their conversation through a closed door. Both of them have pauses and make excalamations consistent with getting ready. She eventually leaves the bathroom, they make some innocuous conversation as he finishes whatever he was doing, and they leave the apartment. The larger story is one of a contented relationship. In the next issue there is an event in which, if the couple has contented relationship they both survive (off screen) and if their relationship is poor they'll die (off screen).

Suppose now that a different author replays the scene some ten years later, except with a new camera angle which shows Spiderman entering the bathroom through the window while the girl is in there, a bra gets flung out the window and he catches it back in, he exits disheveled and covered in lipstick, and the text of the couple's final conversation as they leave the apartment (although superficially unchanged) now looks to have undertones of infidelity and an imminent breakup.

The second scene does not change any of the explicitly given facts from the first scene, but it's very clearly altering their meaning and is well outside the spirit of the first author's intent. I think that meets any reasonable standard for "retcon." We could draw a line between this level and the more stringent definitions, but... what do we gain by doing so?

Also, I think it's important to note that the OP was remembering an exaggerated version of TR:3039, not what TR:3039 actually says; I think the exaggerated version (were it the truth) would meet the more stringent definitions of "retcon." Alternately, if we allow that neither the OP nor his friend meant to be overly precise, I think the word "retcon" is at least in the right general vicinity to describe TR:3039's actual text.

For my part, I did mean that TR:3039 presents facts which break continuity.

1) TRO 3025 originally wrote the charger as being in service with every house, but most particularly focused on its use by the Capellan Confederation. This created the impression that it was a primarily capellan machine, complete with a specific capellan variant. The text also implied that the mech was long out of production.

The Charger entry gives equal time to Capellan and Suns use, with an implication that Free Worlds and Combine use are similar. To the extent an impression of Capellan-ness exists, it's the -1L variant that tips things that direction.

I agree the Charger appears to be long out of production. I will note, though, that TR:3025 says so little about current production that we're obliged to assume it's not giving us a complete picture, and the Charger isn't as definitively kaput as (for instance) the Trebuchet or Victor.

2) The house books (particularly House Liao and House Kurita) indicated that the charger was in fact being produced by House Kurita, and the mech has all of one mention in the house Liao book, as being common among a single regiment of the Tikonov reserves. This is where my joke about taking a lemon away comes from, as it turns what originally appeared to be a signature capellan machine into a signature combine machine.

It's a fair joke, and I laughed at it, but I do disagree with it on two levels.

Firstly, I don't think the Luthien factory in the Drac book makes the 3025 Charger a signature Drac design. The Vulcan and Cicada aren't signature Marik designs, nor is the Firestarter a signature Steiner design, despite the presence of factories in their realms.

Secondly, while TR:3039 does associate the Charger primarily with the Kuritans, it does so by diminishing the Steiner, Marik and Davion shares while taking an extra step to specially preserve Liao's supply. It's made the Charger more signature to Liao than it was before. (This is what I meant with my response to your joke.)

(Also, I meant to do the :D smiley instead of ::), but the smirk on ::) seemed sufficiently good natured to let the typo stand. Really, I'm just glad that I can finally do :-\ from memory.)

This might arguably be called a retcon, but then it can also be arguably described as an expansion of the original fluff. There is no specific statement of the Charger's origin or its most common user in the original TRO entry. Even listing Wells as the original manufacturer in the TRO entry is NOT contradicted by the house book's listing of Luthien Armor Works as the current producer, since it was already established that the League took the mech out of service and a change of manufacturer isn't the least bit unreasonable. Thus, no concrete information about the mech was changed.

I agree. However, it is important to note that, even with the Kurita book putting a Charger facility on Luthien, the -1L variant is still understood at this point to be Liao modifications of Star League remnants, not sourced from Kurita.

Even so, because the TRO fluff focused on the mech's use in Capellan service and virtually ignored the mech's use in combine service, it can be argued that the implication was changed when the house books assigned it to the Combine. So you could argue it was a change, but you could also argue that it was a result of reader expectations not matching what was ultimately written.

I agree in the specific case of Charger fluff between TR:3025 and the House Kurita book, and I agree more generally that implications and reader expectations do not always represent solid fact. However, I think the facts that TR:3039 is butting up against are much more solidly established than the ones the House Kurita book was butting up against.

As both the House Kurita book and TR:3039 were parts of larger efforts to revamp the setting, and both efforts included changes which do meet the most stringent definitions of "retcon," I think when we evaluate how incongruous a change is we have to look not just at the specific text but also at the spirit of the change and how well it integrates with the structure at large.

The 3039 fluff, however, is not a retcon. It does not contradict any information that comes before. It just incorporates the later house book fluff into the original 3025 fluff. Both accounts are true and fit together. Wells technologies built a failed lemon, the Capellans got their chargers, the Combine got their charger plant.

Disagree. I see three points of sufficient discontinuity.

While it is not explicit, I think we can accept that TR:3025 intended it to be a fact that the Confederation employed some number of Chargers "in the bitter fighting" on the Marik border prior to the Concord of Kapteyn; and I think we can accept that TR:3039 intends it to be a fact that the Confederation did not possess any notable number of Chargers until the Kapteyn imports started (the Chargers in that "bitter fighting" are now better understood as Marik's). These facts are in contradiction. They are not irreconcilable, certainly, but the author is clearly not trying to preserve TR:3025's intent.

TR:3025 presents the -1L variant as the Confederation trying to make the best of what they already have; in contrast, TR:3039 presents the -1L as something they are desperate to import. "We're stuck with this" and "GIMME" are very different attitudes, and I think they're explicit enough in the text that they can't be dismissed as reader expectation. (The change in attitude shouldn't be meant as a result of ongoing events in the timeline, either, since Wells Tech ceased operations in 3027.)

The -1L itself becomes the most difficult issue. TR:3039 makes a special effort to describe each faction's share of Chargers, and they do not count Liao having a notable number prior to the Kapteyn Accords. So why would the House order development of the -1L in the absence of additional Chargers? Why import Chargers when Takashi was content to keep them home and export better designs instead? Again, these contradictions aren't irreconcilable, but they do represent substantial breaks with the established continuity.

Also, I agree that putting the Wells Tech plant in the Combine satisfies only the very weakest definitions of "retcon," and (although I would've put the plant somewhere else), I agree that putting it there isn't a real discontinuity. I do have to applaud the author for not putting it definitively on Luthien - in the Kurita book, Luthien Armor Works only builds the -1A1 variant, and is merely "a" manufacturer of Chargers rather than the "sole" manufacturer.

IRL there are countries who make their own modifications to tanks and warplanes that they import.

Sure, but the Charger wasn't originally written as an import from the Dracs, and there was no reason to rewrite it into being an import. TR:3039 made other changes like that too - retconning the PNT-8Z into being a large laser variant, for instance.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)