Author Topic: Jeep  (Read 1652 times)

Retry

• Lieutenant
Jeep
« on: 19 October 2019, 00:30:10 »
AKA  the "Battle Scooter".
BA can ride on top of vehicles just like they can ride on Omnimechs.  So, why not create a vehicle to specifically transport BA to the front lines?  Create an Omni-Vehicle as light as you can make it to allow BA to mount them.  Doesn't even have to have free tonnage.  What's that?  What's so omni about that?  Well, I'll have you know, our Jeeps are shipped with whatever custom paint job you desire, and its fully-functional CD player is capable of playing any tunes you desire on your daily joyride to the front lines!

Lightweight.  Inexpensive.  Fast.  Introducing the "Jeep", with 6 rearward seats to house your BA squad of whatever size.  Take advantage of our weekend sale.  Buy 4 Inner Sphere Standard suits, get a Jeep free!
Code: [Select]
Jeep (Standard)
Mass: 3 tons
Movement Type: Wheeled
Power Plant: 25 ICE
Cruising Speed: 162 kph
Maximum Speed: 248.4 kph
Armor: Standard
Armament:
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3145
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-X-E
Cost: 24,423 C-bills
Type: Jeep
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Experimental)
Tonnage: 3
Battle Value: 60
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure 0.5
Engine 25 ICE 1
     Cruising MP: 15
     Flanking MP: 23
Heat Sinks: 0 0
Control Equipment: 0.5
Power Amplifier: 0
Armor Factor: 16 1
Internal
Structure Armor
Value
Front 1 4
R/L Side 1/1 4/4
Rear 1 4
Fixed Equipment
None
Weapons
and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage

[Omni: 0 tons, 5 crits available]

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Jeep
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2019, 02:32:04 »
I like this.  good job.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2019, 06:29:32 »
Great idea, but I'm not sure you can put a "normal" engine in a "light" vehicle.  A 5-ton version would still be 9/14 and not that expensive...

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2019, 07:56:20 »
if you use fractional accounting (do not round to 0.5 or 1.0), you save enough for more cargo space or armor

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2019, 08:41:52 »
I like it. Makes me think of a wheeled version of a zoomer.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2019, 20:36:17 »
I would like mine in bright red
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2019, 21:22:33 »
An Omni needs variants... so unless you remove a half ton somewhere, it's not an Omni.

So remove Half-ton of Armor gets you:

1/ 2
1/1 2/2
1/ 2

And a ER Small
 or a Pintle Mount which would allow up to a Half-ton weapon 180 degree arch, say Generic Auto-Rifle, Vehicle Grenade Launcher, maybe a Rocket Launcher/10?, Light Probe or even a Light TAG.

Thing is while the Light and Standard clan MG weigh in at .25 tons, the ammo is allowed in full HALF-ton ammo counts. Unless, like it has been stated before, agreed upon before hand, a Quarter-ton would mean 50 salvos... also that Pintle Mount allows you to use ANY Infantry weapon too!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2019, 22:00:34 »
An Omni needs variants... so unless you remove a half ton somewhere, it's not an Omni.
Strictly speaking, an "Omni" can be made with only fixed equipment and no variants.  Being an "omni" is basically a check-box in TechManual; there's no actual restrictions specifying the amount of spare tonnage needed for a vehicle to be checked as an Omni vehicle in the "Allowed Units" and "Prohibited Units" section.

There's just not much of a reason to do so, since if you shove omni-tech on a platform with only fixed equipment, you've basically got a regular Battlemech with a 25% C-Bill premium.  Except in the the edge case of the Jeep, where the slight price hike is basically nothing for the advantage of being able to truck BA around the field at high speeds.

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2019, 11:08:08 »
in fact, true "jeeps" have no armor. I use a 2-ton version to represent this kind of unarmored utility vehicles (I am not familiar with Support Vehicles construction rules). The only problem is that if you opt for wheeled the speed gets too high (14+ cruise speed), so I built it as a "tracked" vehicle to represent better its off-road capabilities and keep speed in a reasonable level. Any jeep can enter light woods!

With fractional accounting you can even have a machine gun with 20 shots of ammo ...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2019, 18:20:36 »
I stick with 5 tons, and just make the rest "cargo" if I want lighter.  That keeps the speed to 9/14...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2019, 09:11:57 »
Isn't there already a semi-lost listing/stats for a Jeep in one old old FASA Record Sheet books? I remember seeing a vehicle listed there.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #11 on: 06 December 2019, 10:12:21 »
Book 4: Vehicles

And yes it's semi-lost...

Cause it was built with pre BMR rules... which is ancient now a days.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016