Author Topic: Music for A time of war  (Read 3316 times)

Aunodin

• Corporal
Music for A time of war
« on: 16 August 2013, 17:21:26 »
Well stumped on what kind of music i should play for the sessions i am running. Anyone got a good list from their games or recommendations?

wackrabbit

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • Who wants some, Doc?
Re: Music for A time of war
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2013, 17:28:24 »
Serenity soundtrack along with those from BSG (new) and Blade Runner.
If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2013, 18:10:13 »
Well stumped on what kind of music i should play for the sessions i am running. Anyone got a good list from their games or recommendations?

This thread isn't complete until someone suggests this.

But now that that's out of the way..

I'm partial to soundtracks, too.  They're composed so as to be heard and convey an atmosphere while still not being distracting.  I'd throw out the Pacific Rim soundtrack as another worthy suggestion for a mech-based ATOW game.

If you use electronics in your games you can bookmark a bunch of youtube or iTunes songs from various real-world cultures and play those for atmosphere when PCs are on planets derived from them.

I changed my mind about Pacific Rim OST.  It's not just a good suggestion, I'd go so far as to say you HAVE to get it for ATOW :D

Aunodin

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2013, 20:56:23 »
This thread isn't complete until someone suggests this.

But now that that's out of the way..

I'm partial to soundtracks, too.  They're composed so as to be heard and convey an atmosphere while still not being distracting.  I'd throw out the Pacific Rim soundtrack as another worthy suggestion for a mech-based ATOW game.

If you use electronics in your games you can bookmark a bunch of youtube or iTunes songs from various real-world cultures and play those for atmosphere when PCs are on planets derived from them.

I changed my mind about Pacific Rim OST.  It's not just a good suggestion, I'd go so far as to say you HAVE to get it for ATOW :D

Ya the music help sets a decent mood. This will my first time running ATOW game since I typically run fantasy rpgs. So trying to figure out the music.

Pacific rim does have good music only problem with the youtube videos is the ads.

And yes this is in the list to have for music

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2013, 21:06:24 »
Nyan Cat  :D

In all seriousness, it depends on the mission. That being said, John Williams is always my favorite for anything.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2013, 05:13:35 »
Soundtrack from Mechwarrior 2. You don't need anything else
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2013, 16:06:39 »
Some of the Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicals tracks are really good for Battletech. Done by Bear McCreary of Battlestar Galactica fame.

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
  • Advertised product may not match reality
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2013, 18:51:11 »
Two steps from hell. They have loads of stuff to cover almost every mood you might want to set. I'd also look at the soundtracks to films like Lord Of The Rings and Pirates Of The Carribbean or games like Halo.

Other suggestions would include classic rock, dark ambient and classical music, but if I go into those here I'll be here for a few years :P
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2013, 12:04:55 »
Two steps from hell. They have loads of stuff to cover almost every mood you might want to set.

True story, full stop. Immediate Music is also very good.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

epic

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2013, 18:38:23 »
I would third Two Steps from Hell as well - recently discovered 'em, and now in for all my gaming music needs.
Agent # 703

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2013, 12:50:16 »
Ultimately it comes down to personal taste and what mood you want to set.

There will be matches where you'll want to crank something like The Day of Overgrowth, some where you'll want something like We are the Robot Pirates, and others where you'll want something more like Barber's Adagio for Strings.

Variety is the spice of life.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2013, 23:40:20 »
One slick trick for the GM is to vary the music based on the planet the PC's are on and use a space track for when they're not on planet. Each planet gets a particular feel: one might have Vietnam era rock and the next uses metal. For space, I like the Firefly or Homeworld soundtracks. The MechWarrior game sound tracks I reserve for combat. :)

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2013, 08:43:53 »
I have found that the RAGE soundtrack is very good for Battletech, especially the more "fighty" themes.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2013, 16:50:08 »
The Heavy gear soundtrack is also good,  It's done by the same guy as the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack.

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
  • Advertised product may not match reality
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2013, 14:30:59 »
More artists, songs and pieces!

Audiomachine. Have been listening to a lot of their stuff lately, and have just come off a 3-hour binge whilst working.

Future World Music. Not had much of a chance to listen to them yet, but what I have heard bodes well.

Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell. if you've ever seen Requiem For A Dream then you'll probably recognise this one, as it's the main theme. However, you want to use the full version found here, as the one off the soundtrack (and on iTunes & Spotify) is the truncated film version.

Machinimasound (youtube channel here) also do great music, and best of all, it's royalty free. Special mention to this track which got me into them in the first place.

X-Ray Dog. Link to website. More film scores, meaning great mood music.

Hans Zimmer of Pirates Of The Carribbean and Inception fame. Also did The Lion King.

Approaching Nirvana do some great electronic music. Might not be what you're looking for,  but their more light-hearted music is great for contrasting the seriousness of most of the "mood music" that I have suggested so far.

Frontline Assembly. More metal-y (is that even a word?)

National Anthems. Often stirring and militaristic- check out the Soviet one from WW2. Just don't do this.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 03 September 2013, 22:58:11 »
Anything with David Hasselhof singing...

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #16 on: 05 October 2013, 10:47:50 »

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2013, 07:56:56 »
A bit late, but:
- For everything that´s House-centric: Real Classical Music, like Wagner for Steiner, Ancient Chinese music for Liao, and so on.
- AC/DC and other classic rock stuff
it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all