Author Topic: Loki (series)  (Read 16837 times)

Luciora

• Major
Re: Loki (series)
« Reply #150 on: 11 November 2023, 21:03:57 »
Agreed

Well, that was an...unexpectedly bittersweet ending.

Cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #151 on: 12 November 2023, 22:18:24 »

So, does this mean that Loki has effectively replaced He Who Remains?  Does HWR even come into being now, since young Victor Timely never got the TVA handbook?  It's still confusing here, because the connection between Timely and HWR still isn't clear--I'm pretty sure I remember from the S1 finale that HWR said he was from the future (relative to Loki and Sylvie, at least) and the story he related was that of the Kangs. 

Also don't understand how Loki was able to resist being spaghettified by the temporal radiation without a protective suit.  Asgardians are tough, but not THAT tough.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #152 on: 14 November 2023, 10:37:24 »
Keep in mind how long Loki had been slipping through time at that point.  He'd been at it for centuries at least if not millenia(implied).  He basically became Chronos, the god of time. 

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #153 on: 14 November 2023, 11:13:47 »
Loki, God of stories from the recent run.  Which means he can be good, bad or whatever,
keeping with his temperament.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #154 on: 14 November 2023, 14:02:49 »

So, does this mean that Loki has effectively replaced He Who Remains?  Does HWR even come into being now, since young Victor Timely never got the TVA handbook?  It's still confusing here, because the connection between Timely and HWR still isn't clear--I'm pretty sure I remember from the S1 finale that HWR said he was from the future (relative to Loki and Sylvie, at least) and the story he related was that of the Kangs. 

Also don't understand how Loki was able to resist being spaghettified by the temporal radiation without a protective suit.  Asgardians are tough, but not THAT tough.

cheers,

Gabe

Yeeeah, that starts getting into chicken/egg kind of stuff, because if he never got his TVA book, he never could have been involved in trying to save the TVA, which lead to Loki's 'ascension' (or whatever you want to call it). But he was there, he did participate, without him the doors Loki had to walk through to get out into the Loom never open. So he DID exist, as Victor... but now doesn't because he never got the book, which means he never could have existed to open the door.

It's an interesting move- this does give them an out in case they decide not to use Majors any more moving forward (or if the decision is made for them) due to his ongoing legal issues. Whether or not that was the intention is debatable, but it's at least something they can use if they need- either to recast HWR Rhodes/Banner style, or just axe the character entirely and go with a different baddie moving forward as the plan (Doom?). Or, if they prefer to continue with Majors, they can still use this as 'only THIS version of HWR ceased to exist and all the other ones are still out there'.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #155 on: 14 November 2023, 15:17:45 »
Interesting ending.

Regardless of what comes of Kang variants, I do wonder if this might be a way for them to keep Tom/Loki in the MCU for later options.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #156 on: 14 November 2023, 15:37:32 »
Interesting ending.

Regardless of what comes of Kang variants, I do wonder if this might be a way for them to keep Tom/Loki in the MCU for later options.

He seemed pretty definitively 'done' after 14 years of the character during his appearance on Fallon last week, but with all the rumbling about bringing back past characters like Romanov and Stark, I suppose there's no reason they couldn't do the same here. Between this Loki not being dead, and there being no shortage of variants out there (I was bummed we didn't see our friends in the Void again), there's still opportunity if they decide they want to go that route- and can scrounge up the ridiculous amount it would take for him to put the horns on again, of course.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #157 on: 14 November 2023, 15:48:41 »
Interesting ending.

I had the opposite impression.  This seemed like Loki is outside time and space keeping time from exploding.  He's effectively now a plot device rather than a character.  With the movies never say never but I won't be surprised if we never see Loki again.  Well, not THAT Loki anyway. 

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #158 on: 14 November 2023, 22:10:31 »
Yeeeah, that starts getting into chicken/egg kind of stuff, because if he never got his TVA book, he never could have been involved in trying to save the TVA, which lead to Loki's 'ascension' (or whatever you want to call it). But he was there, he did participate, without him the doors Loki had to walk through to get out into the Loom never open. So he DID exist, as Victor... but now doesn't because he never got the book, which means he never could have existed to open the door.

And Timely was standing there in the Loom control room with the others, watching Loki walk out on the platform.  So does he just suddenly wink out of existence and everyone forgets about him?

During the confrontation between Loki and HWR, HWR seemed pretty dismissive--indeed, borderline contemptuous--of Timely, deriding him for misunderstanding the Loom's true function and purpose and even mocking his stutter.  So despite the physical resemblance between the two, it's far from clear that HWR is in fact a future version of Timely, even if Renslayer and Miss Minutes believed it.  Even if they had the same temporal aura, perhaps ANY variant of Kang would've sufficed for unlocking the Loom. Whatever the case, Miss Minutes' prophecy was fulfilled--Timely now cannot be HWR.

There isn't going to be a third season, is there?  It would be nice to have some of the mysteries and loose ends tied up, but Loki's fate at the end seemed pretty decisive and final.

It's an interesting move- this does give them an out in case they decide not to use Majors any more moving forward (or if the decision is made for them) due to his ongoing legal issues. Whether or not that was the intention is debatable, but it's at least something they can use if they need- either to recast HWR Rhodes/Banner style, or just axe the character entirely and go with a different baddie moving forward as the plan (Doom?). Or, if they prefer to continue with Majors, they can still use this as 'only THIS version of HWR ceased to exist and all the other ones are still out there'.

If it's clear they can't continue with Majors, I say just recast--after all, they did it for Banner/Hulk, and Mark Ruffalo successfully made the role his own.  The most obvious alternate would be Chukwudi Iwuji, who played the High Evolutionary in Guardians vol. 3--couldn't they find some way of making it so that the HE was another Kang variant?

I kind of like the idea of Denzel Washington taking over as Kang...but he's a bit too old now.

cheers,

Gabe

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #159 on: 15 November 2023, 05:04:18 »
Oh, I don’t think there’s any question there; Sylvie is almost certainly a composite character in that regard. I think the Enchantress’s name is also Sylvie.

Unless it’s been retconned, her name is Amora.  I think they changed it to Sylvie in the show to avoid confusion, given the prominence of Gamora in the Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers Infinity War.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: 18 December 2023, 22:20:08 »
Well, justice has spoken, and Jonathan Majors has been found guilty of assault against his ex-girlfriend.  He may well face jail time.

It's extremely unlikely Marvel will move forward with him still in the role(s) of Kang and variants.  Unless they decide to recast the role, it's also quite likely they elect to drop the entire Kang storyline too.  Somehow I don't think even they know where things are going now.

cheers,

Gabe

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #161 on: 18 December 2023, 23:06:13 »
Amorra might have been a good villian for Thor 5, especially since Thor is single again. 

Unless it’s been retconned, her name is Amora.  I think they changed it to Sylvie in the show to avoid confusion, given the prominence of Gamora in the Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers Infinity War.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2023, 13:10:09 by Luciora »

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #162 on: 19 December 2023, 12:31:16 »

It's extremely unlikely Marvel will move forward with him still in the role(s) of Kang and variants.  Unless they decide to recast the role, it's also quite likely they elect to drop the entire Kang storyline too.  Somehow I don't think even they know where things are going now.

cheers,

Gabe
They have already dropped Majors and have likely been working on a fix for this since the story broke back in march.

We'll see what happens. Personally I find the Multiverse the most confusing and dislikeable part of the Marvel universe (comics included). I like it when they wipe it out utterly and keep with the prime universe.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 19 December 2023, 14:52:38 »
Amorra might have been a good villian for Thor 5, especially since Thor is single again.

Besides Jane foster, has thor ever HAD a steady relationship?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #164 on: 19 December 2023, 15:10:40 »
Besides Jane foster, has thor ever HAD a steady relationship?

Canonically, he and Sif were an item for a few centuries.  (She used to have golden hair, but Loki cut it off and replaced it with a raven-black head of hair as a prank.)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #165 on: 20 December 2023, 00:16:19 »
And the first and 2nd film did seem to show SHE had a 'hard on' for him..  BUT i don't think he ever reciprocated it.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #166 on: 20 December 2023, 02:00:21 »
There has been persistent rumor that Dr Doom is going to replace Kang. Which I would be OK with. It would provide a good segue of the FF into the MCU, & give a classic villain prominent screentime that he deserves (IMHO he is as up there as Magneto is for iconic baddies).

I have to agree, though, that the whole Multiverse thing in such a prominent part of the franchise is not my favorite either. It also feels like they are setting up a reboot of the franchise, which is the least desirable result of the future direction of the movies & TV shows.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #167 on: 20 December 2023, 13:52:39 »

We'll see what happens. Personally I find the Multiverse the most confusing and dislikeable part of the Marvel universe (comics included). I like it when they wipe it out utterly and keep with the prime universe.

Which is exactly what HWR was trying to do!  :grin:

Cheers,

Gabe

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #168 on: 20 December 2023, 14:41:03 »
There has been persistent rumor that Dr Doom is going to replace Kang. Which I would be OK with. It would provide a good segue of the FF into the MCU, & give a classic villain prominent screentime that he deserves (IMHO he is as up there as Magneto is for iconic baddies).

Which makes these panels from the original Secret Wars oddly prescient.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #169 on: 20 December 2023, 14:58:38 »

There's quite the hype of dr doom, along with FF4.  I hope they do him right.

I have to agree, though, that the whole Multiverse thing in such a prominent part of the franchise is not my favorite either. It also feels like they are setting up a reboot of the franchise, which is the least desirable result of the future direction of the movies & TV shows.

Damon.

From watching some of my fave youtube commentors on films, they are also hypothetising that they will do a soft (or one guy says a hard) reboot..

Register