Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles VI: Eye of the Tiger  (Read 36484 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Armored Fighting Vehicles VI: Eye of the Tiger
« Reply #30 on: 15 December 2022, 03:14:39 »

Marians in the IlClan, 3153

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #31 on: 15 December 2022, 10:26:25 »
Meanwhile in the Draconis Combine...

I have spoken.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #32 on: 15 December 2022, 18:27:53 »
The O5P wins again!  :D

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #33 on: 15 December 2022, 18:46:23 »
AMX-30 museum exhibit with the tank in its Desert Storm colours

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #34 on: 15 December 2022, 19:27:06 »
Love the camo the 6e DLB wore during Desert Storm. To this day it forms the basis of my conception of Davion desert colors, not to mention my go-to for any basic desert scheme.

Here is a short documentary about the French light armored division that served in the Gulf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDMnIMolMbc

Interesting to note, chanman, that this harkens back to an earlier discussion about professional soldiers (vice conscripts) only being used in French expeditionary ops.

(Oh, and thanks for the heads-up in the last thread about the new OPFOR vehicles. If they ever get real French armor, I'll have to go hiking out that way and get lost during a rotation day.)
« Last Edit: 15 December 2022, 21:33:59 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #35 on: 15 December 2022, 19:52:05 »
Love the camo the 6e DLB wore during Desert Storm. To this day it forms the basis of my conception of Davion desert colors, not to mention my go-to for any basic desert scheme.

Here is a short documentary about the French light armored division that served in the Gulf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDMnIMolMbc

Interesting to note, chanman, that this harkens back to an earlier discussion about professional soldiers (vice conscripts) only being used in French expeditionary ops.

(Oh, and thanks for the heads-up in the last thread about the new OPFOR vehicles. If they ever get real French armor, I'll have to go hiking out that way and get lost during a rotation day.)

Think you've accidentally used email tags for your link. Somehow, I can see you putting around in a vizmod SUV made to look like a VBL   :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 15 December 2022, 19:59:57 »
Confirmed e-mail tags, and second chanman on the vizmod SUV!  :D

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #37 on: 15 December 2022, 21:37:04 »
Fixed tags and will be looking into vismodding an Outback into something suitably VABish* or a VBLalogue.

Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 17 December 2022, 22:02:40 »
In war-games, I love AMX-30s; they are light and can move around and can actually take out another tank with their cannon. Just, don't get hit.

Meanwhile in the Draconis Combine...

There's something not right about the girl on the left; I mean, not right, anatomically.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #39 on: 17 December 2022, 22:06:51 »
In war-games, I love AMX-30s; they are light and can move around and can actually take out another tank with their cannon. Just, don't get hit.

I've built the Heller AMX-30 maybe half a dozen times. Goes together reasonably well, but those wire stowage racks on the side of the turret are always pretty rough...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #40 on: 17 December 2022, 22:51:02 »

I remember back when I was still playing World of Tanks and someone in an AMX-30 got the bright idea of ramming my T-150.

Running a French lawnmower into a giant block of Soviet steel was not a good idea.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #41 on: 17 December 2022, 23:07:07 »
Here's a bit of an oddball mix:

The Royal Jordanian army is retiring its aging but upgraded Challenger 1 MBTs (Al-Hussein) and replacing them with a mix of surplus Italian B1 Centauros and... donated LeClercs from the UAE. The LeClercs and retirement probably also mean the Falcon low-profile turret project never really got acceptable results. The transfer from the UAE is recent enough that I'm having trouble finding pictures.

Jordanian Challenger 1 with a Falcon turret. RUAG 120mm L50 smoothbore 120mm gun with an autoloader

Normal Al-Husseins

Upgraded M60 covered in ERA blocks. Looks like the underlying turret shape resembles the Israeli Magach

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 17 December 2022, 23:57:27 »
Have any of these upgrades seen actual use?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 18 December 2022, 02:30:44 »

The Char 2C.  France's massive land barge, the only vehicle that was classified as a super-heavy tank that ever actually made it into production.  Didn't actually get built soon enough to fight in the First World War, but still got an actual production run unlike other super-heavies like the Maus and T-28.  Though despite being designated a super-heavy it was still lighter than some vehicles that served in World War Two and is only a couple tons heavier than the current M1 Abrams kit.

Had a 12 man crew and by length, width, height, and volume the largest operational tank ever built.

Quite frankly, with tracks more than thirty feet long, I wonder how it actually turned.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #44 on: 18 December 2022, 06:08:55 »
I would imagine it turned nearly on a dime. Okay, a really big dime...

But still, since tracked vehicles (or any skid-steer vehicle, really) turn effectively at the mid-point of their tracks or motive apparatus, there shouldn't be a significant change in the length of the tracks versus their turning ability.

chanman, Centauro B1s in the desert? Yes, please.
--A. Duritz

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #45 on: 18 December 2022, 06:26:29 »

But still, since tracked vehicles (or any skid-steer vehicle, really) turn effectively at the mid-point of their tracks or motive apparatus, there shouldn't be a significant change in the length of the tracks versus their turning ability.

chanman, Centauro B1s in the desert? Yes, please.

What's the deal with the Centauro IIs? 120mm smoothbore, but a 2-man turret. That turret is definitely not storing rounds in the bustle, so I'm guessing loader and gunner/commander?

Centauro and Cenatauro II

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #46 on: 18 December 2022, 23:48:29 »
*scratches head*

Is the Centauro the real-life inspiration for the BT Chevalier wheeled tank?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #47 on: 18 December 2022, 23:53:25 »
Naw, the Chevy is more Rooikat:

--A. Duritz

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #48 on: 19 December 2022, 00:45:22 »
Panhard EBR

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 19 December 2022, 01:08:45 »
How does that vehicle engage the inner wheels?  Do they get lowered down to the ground or do the outer wheels retract?

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #50 on: 19 December 2022, 01:31:30 »
How does that vehicle engage the inner wheels?  Do they get lowered down to the ground or do the outer wheels retract?

Inner wheels are lowered. They're for off-road use only - note the complete lack of tires

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 19 December 2022, 02:22:41 »
I figured that.  They look like something that would be used for marshy or sandy terrain where those rather thin-looking tires would start experiencing problems.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #52 on: 19 December 2022, 03:14:01 »
i'd argue that the 8x8 with a tank turret in general was the inspiration for the BT unit. though profile wise it looks more like some of the Swiss MOWAG Shark prototypes.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 19 December 2022, 06:57:42 »
The wheel arrangement leads me to agree with F16.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #54 on: 19 December 2022, 08:09:44 »

actually, a lot of the earlier tracked vehicles like that were not designed with neutral steering, and thus couldn't turn on a dime in the way you are suggested, instead being steered by a clutch and brake system, which basically removed the power to one tread when turning, requiring them to keep moving forward as they turn. with such a system, the longer the tracks, the shallower the turns they could do without throwing a tread.

steering through a Double differential system, which maintains power to both treads the whole time and allow you to put the treads at differernt speed to turn, even put one tread in reverse to turn in place, was a cutting edge feature mostly pioneered by the Germans with designs like the Tiger and Panther, as well as some british ones like the Churchill, only after the war becoming fairly standard.

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 19 December 2022, 12:42:10 »
Is it just me, or does the Panhard look like it as a space for a driver at each end?

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 19 December 2022, 13:25:49 »
It doesn't just look like it, it does have two drivers. 

Is it just me, or does the Panhard look like it as a space for a driver at each end?

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #57 on: 19 December 2022, 23:19:17 »
actually, a lot of the earlier tracked vehicles like that were not designed with neutral steering, and thus couldn't turn on a dime in the way you are suggested, instead being steered by a clutch and brake system, which basically removed the power to one tread when turning, requiring them to keep moving forward as they turn. with such a system, the longer the tracks, the shallower the turns they could do without throwing a tread.

steering through a Double differential system, which maintains power to both treads the whole time and allow you to put the treads at differernt speed to turn, even put one tread in reverse to turn in place, was a cutting edge feature mostly pioneered by the Germans with designs like the Tiger and Panther, as well as some british ones like the Churchill, only after the war becoming fairly standard.

Funny you should mention the double differential method of tank-steering, since the French developed it in 1921. The Char B1 had a continuously variable output for its tracks allied to a hydrostatic transmission. During trials, the Char 2C did indeed experience track slippage in tight turns (it used a different engine for each track, by the way; interestingly they eventually became Maybachs, which Panzer fans will notice as being familiar) but it never once actually threw a track.

As far as I can tell, the Char 2C used a controlled differential, whereupon there are effectively two gears (epicyclic gearing) with an idler wheel, the second of which is clutched in or out so that power isn't wasted. This system--with the usual operator-controls being two wands--is typified by the M113 series or armored vehicles. I will submit that the Char 2C was a beast and certainly not fast (10-15 kph max) nor particularly mobile (whether that last issue was a concomitant of its great weight, the size of its tracks, or insufficient track-shoe articulation is open for debate.

And "turning on a dime" is relative. There are videos of Char 2Cs in motion, but not too many of them turning, so I am not sure we will ever know for certain. But a tracked vehicle of a given size turns more closely than an equivalently sized wheeled vehicle. And you will note that I never stated that tracked vehicles or other skid-steer vehicles could all turn from a stand-still/idle. But I bet the Char 2C could, though it might be painful to watch. For what it is worth, it is relatively rare for any tracked military vehicle to neutral steer completely in place as it puts too much strain of the individual shoes and track-pins holding them together, thereby risks throwing a track.

For example, take a look at this St. Chamond in 2017:

https://youtu.be/sFTUkmj3gaU

https://youtu.be/1jkYUUGK09I

Not moving around too badly for a 100-year old fighting lady when you think about it.

Here is its replacement, a little guy that can skid steer wherever you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=GdPb5PCpivE&embeds_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2F&embeds_origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com&source_ve_path=MjM4NTE&feature=emb_title
--A. Duritz

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #58 on: 20 December 2022, 01:36:39 »
It goes back to pre-WWII French doctrine for armored recon, basically their armor only protects against small arms fire and they were expected to encounter the enemy main force alone. Add to this that this might happen on narrow country roads with obstacles on both sides, so it was thought that the best chance for vehicle to survive long enough to report back, was to light up the enemy and go in other direction at full speed, thus two drivers and heavy armament. Gearbox was rather complicated and maintenance was not simple though.
Shoot first, laugh later.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #59 on: 20 December 2022, 13:58:19 »
Not-Abrams

Register