Author Topic: Super Hero Game  (Read 2495 times)

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
Super Hero Game
« on: 29 May 2012, 20:31:36 »
Anyone interested in playing in a super hero game? I use the Champions (HERO) system for the rules and 175-250 pt characters. The game I have in mind is a riff off my current tabletop group, with an arrangement of pregen characters at first until we get to know each other better and opening up to player's ideas down the road.

The concept is similar to DC comics Suicide Squad. A group of oddball D-List villains , a couple of trustee reformed crooks/less known heroes and the occasional anti-social vigilante have been dragooned into a covert government super team doing dubious covert ops where the possibility of death or dismemberment is high. The crooks (and vigilantes) are held in line through various threats and the chance of earning early freedom from federal custody, the heroes believe that they're doing the right thing and keeping tabs on the various goons that are part of the program.

I'm looking for 3-6 players. Any less than 3 or more than 6 is either not worth it or too much for me to keep track of. Players may have one or two characters in play at any time. Most of the crooks are one-trick ponies, though some are better/more powerful than others. There is a core group based around the couple of reformed trustee/heroes who are little more balanced and capable to anchor the team. All of the team members will be played by the players and I plan to keep allied NPCs to an absolute minimum.

The one NPC that I can mention now, is Regulator. He's a classic one-man-with-guns vigilante in the vein of Marvel's Punisher and Scourge, DC's Deathstroke the Terminator and Vigilante (Adrian Chase) or Image's Shadowhawk (the original one). Publicly, he's one of America's most notorious (and wanted) vigilantes and it's not entirely clear to the team whether the individual who's wearing the mantle in the group is the one everyone knows or some government knock-off. While his tactics and personality seem the same, as part of the group he wears a different costume and carries different gear than his public face. He's the team's true outsider - he's usually only around on really critical missions where he usually does his own thing or when a particularly dangerous inmate is assigned to he mission. He doesn't socialize with the group for the most part, usually vanishing before the team is debriefed after a mission. He is believed to be a normal man with an armored costume who carries an assortment of guns but is an obvious very well trained and seemingly experienced operator. He's killed at least two criminals who've tried to bolt/rebel/turn on the team and it's rumored he's led an entire team to it's demise.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
Re: Super Hero Game
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2012, 17:59:26 »
I'd be interested.  Are the characters originals, or based off DC/Marvel/other?

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
Re: Super Hero Game
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2012, 18:11:51 »
Most of the early batch are glossed over versions of various comic companies. For instance there's a guy with a freeze ray gun named Frost who's essentially the same thing as DC's Captain Cold. I find it easier to bring people into a new game with simpler characters than normal so we all get attuned to each other's play style. As the game progresses, either it or the characters can pretty much changed out with player creations.

That said, some characters like Regulator are original creations that have been in play for over 20 years and have undergone numerous revisions in that time. Others are much more recent and come from my tabletop group's play in the last few months. In any case, those available to the players are all pretty straight forward. They'll have one or two strong-ish powers and up to a half-dozen weaker ones and fairly basic stats for their archetypes.