Author Topic: What's in the pipeline?  (Read 266770 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: What's in the pipeline?
« Reply #1080 on: 09 October 2019, 12:20:14 »
The Bushwhacker was also in the cartoon.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1081 on: 09 October 2019, 13:32:44 »
Eh, I feel the core 3025 stuff got done (…)

I don’t really agree, even ignoring the quads and Osts, but I’m comfortable with the idea that it wasn’t their intention to do so.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1082 on: 09 October 2019, 13:51:19 »
The Nova Cat was in TRO3060, yes it was in MW4 and MCG, with looks that make it readily identifiable with the franchise.  Since its not a pulse/TC or headcapper loaded- or even heat neutral- I am not sure where your gripe comes from.  Its certainly less abusive than the Night Gyr.  As stated it gives the Invading Nova Cats their most iconic design that is also quite popular.

The Nova Cat pretty much is a Night Gyr, just with the jump jets removed. Reading through the MotW articles (And not just those two) it was irritating to run into the refrain of "Omnis should never mount fixed equipment" or "Fixed Jump jets? It's ruined!!!" in the comments

As for configs, I do think that the Nova Cat has an efficiency edge. Not a huge one, but present.

Finally, I think of it more as more of a civil war era mech. It is certainly post-Bulldog.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1083 on: 09 October 2019, 14:52:03 »
The other reason the Nova Cat got included over the Night Gyr is due to the latter's laser heatsinks.

And the Nova Cat was first deployed in 3059,at the same time Operation BULLDOG was taking place.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1084 on: 09 October 2019, 15:10:38 »
Oh, I will agree the Nova Cat is probably more efficient in its configs- hard to find a Timber Wolf B type lemon in the mix.  The Gyr has more Pulse/Headcapper & TC combos IIRC, but Sarna is down so I cannot check what always annoys me is the so-called E config.  It is Pulse with a token ATM to get that E moniker.  And while the design showed up in TRO3060, I want to say it was getting some proto-type work in the mid-50s.

While I agree with Omnis never mounting fixed equipment, the Cougar/Gyr/Turkina do not bother me like that b/c its a faction related design that reflects their philosophy.  Just as most Wolf designed mechs lack fixed JJ (Pouncer is it- which unforunately means no IJJs, imagine a Pouncer like the IJJ/ERML Preta) and usually have a bit more speed than efficient- Ice Ferret/Gargoyle.

As for 3025 service . . . (now that Sarna is back up)
Lights-  Javelin & Firestarter missing, but get Raven & Wolfhound, Ostscout was already redone
Medium-  Dervish, Vindicator, Assassin, Hermes, Clint, Vulcan & Whitworth- some of these got voted off while others are IMO marginal for combat
Heavy-  Jager & Quickdraw missing, but gain the Cataphract- again some voted off
Assault- Charger . . . I do not recall it being present, several more showed up b/c they were voted to be replacements to med/heavies

Out of 56 you are missing 12 but gain 3 from the 4SW period with some voted off and others voted on- so around 80% of what is from 3025 with 13 TRO2750 designs thrown in.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1085 on: 09 October 2019, 18:15:27 »
I don’t really agree, even ignoring the quads and Osts, but I’m comfortable with the idea that it wasn’t their intention to do so.

That's part of what's confusing me; I thought the point of this was to, first of all and least sensical to my mind (but whatever; I'm not having that fight again) redo the original Clan Omnis and secondly to finish off the Nuseens.

I still don't get why we're nuseening mechs that have always been fully owned by TPTB, but whatever; for some reason there is this massive drive to do it; so we're doing it.

Anyway; my impression was that the original Omnis and remaining unseens were the top priority. Like; why Nuseen something you already have locked-down IP-wise? If we're cool just *not* redoing some of these, then why bother with the Ostscout? I mean, frankly; there was one that PP did okay on. I figure the reason actually has to do with needing an unseen light mech to slot into that CM.

Not asking for an explanation; I think that's been given. I'm just explaining my own bewilderment. It's just weird as hell to me to stop 80+% of the way through the job and move onto something else.

But, hey; it sounds like we'll eventually see these, someday? I'd personally be very interested in all four of these models. Especially if the Ostroc and Ostsol, being as they were always quite original, didn't change much. I'd LOVE something that works well with the Ostwar's arms for kitbashing. The Osts are just great on the table and the Quads are so flavourful; nice to mix of the aesthetic, you know?

But, hell; I'm still hoping to see official stats and art for the Hedgehog and Three-Man Digging Machine, so maybe I'm not the core fan demographic?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1086 on: 09 October 2019, 18:37:48 »
Is there a glossary anywhere?  I am hopeless with these abbreviations today.

I’m also curious as to what IronWind will focus on the next couple of years. 

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1087 on: 09 October 2019, 18:50:36 »
it's really been random.

2019 (including unreleased q3/4):

3145/50 (4) - Neandertal, Raven II, Scarecrow, Scourge
Prototypes (1) - Quickdraw 8P
3085  (2) - Crusader 8L, Ursus II
Classics (1) - Royal Shadow Hawk
XTRO (1) - Ryoken III
Primitives (2) - Emperor, Swordsman
Redone Sculpts (4) - Thunderbolt IIC 2, Jupiter 3, Thor II E, Gyrfalcon 4
Other (1) - DA Shadowcat Prime

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1088 on: 09 October 2019, 21:50:11 »
Anyway; my impression was that the original Omnis and remaining unseens were the top priority. Like; why Nuseen something you already have locked-down IP-wise? If we're cool just *not* redoing some of these, then why bother with the Ostscout? I mean, frankly; there was one that PP did okay on. I figure the reason actually has to do with needing an unseen light mech to slot into that CM.

Not asking for an explanation; I think that's been given. I'm just explaining my own bewilderment. It's just weird as hell to me to stop 80+% of the way through the job and move onto something else.

The Ostscout is a bit of a puzzle for me- but the reason was pretty plain by the criteria they used in the KS voting.  Basically they redid the most popular/affiliated designs- full stop.  The whole point is a line refresh to be competitive with the modern look- something MWO I think sort of drove home was that TRO PP was not a acceptable substitute for the modern player base.  I am not even sure a majority of that art fit in at the time the book was produced.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1089 on: 11 October 2019, 10:25:42 »
The Ostscout is a bit of a puzzle for me- but the reason was pretty plain by the criteria they used in the KS voting.  Basically they redid the most popular/affiliated designs- full stop.  The whole point is a line refresh to be competitive with the modern look- something MWO I think sort of drove home was that TRO PP was not a acceptable substitute for the modern player base.  I am not even sure a majority of that art fit in at the time the book was produced.

Well, a lot of what was in PP was objectively terrible and some of the minis were not great either. Some of the later revisions to the same art really help and some of the later minis just look better like the later PP MADs.

But at heart you had art that was torn between being lawsuit-safe without, I think; knowing how distant it had to be to be safe (The most recent lawsuit reveals that HG are basically crazy anyways) and also paying homage to the originals. Some are better than others, but overall what drove popularity as it went was having something official again for the unseen.

I don't think modern had anything to do with it. PP was just a lackluster result, full-stop. There were some redeeming standouts here and there, but the Marauder is and always will be key and it was universally-panned. Given technology and budgets at the time, I am not sure what could have been done to avert that. I'd love to say; apply common sense and don't make it look like an excavator had a baby with an AT-ST, but I wasn't there to see what was going on, so I can't really judge.

You'll never please everyone. I value loyalty to the original material and completeness; full stop. I look at anything that got a torso-twist and didn't previously have one as invalid. I see any gaps in the line and I'm not happy. On the flip-side are people who hate everything the unseen stand for, but especially the aesthetics (The marauder CAN'T WALK!) and won't use anything in-game they think of as "fugly". Likewise; the graphics of MWO have convinced many that this is the light and the truth and the way the game needs to go.

I can beat the drum to the end of time on how much can be done with new and better minis (Highlander, Flashman, Centurion) and maintaining harmony with the original art. But if the aesthetics of the game *itself* are the problem, either in fact or in popular perception among TPTB and the fanbase; well...I'm not really sure what can be done, ultimately.

MWO was more popular, I think; because a computer game is always going to be more accessable. Even on the pay-to-win model (as an example). Appearances were key, because graphics matter almost more than anything in modern games. They are the trademark of the game itself in many ways. You have to screw up on the engine pretty bad or leave a lot of bugs in before a game becomes truely unplayable so long as you have frequent save points, short games (1:30-5min battles) and nice eyecandy to appreciate.

The problem with graphics in games is that they are often a solution that demands a problem; you *need* different kinds of models to showcase what the graphics of the game can really do. A model which is simplistic doesn't show off as well. It's the old story-medium dilemma. Like; picture HG trying to do a modern-tech game with the Macross/RT models? They'd almost certainly need to set it farther long the timeline to take advantage of the more detailed and dynamic-looking models the series has later-on or significantly re-work their older stuff. It's too bad that no-one is really does this at the moment; because their approach to a 40-year-old IP in a 2020-release video game might be very instructive. I also see this in WOT all the time where the older models that have been around forever are very simply textured and newer ones; especially premiums are increasingly festooned with accesories and stowage; sometimes to their detriment when they forget that a roof-mounted MG can give away your tank early.

So too paralelles in advances in miniature design and production. We can simply do things today that we could not do economically or at all in 1982. How much better-looking is the 3rd Sculpt Atlas than the first? While still modelling the same art. Part of the problem of 3d-printing (not opening that can of worms more than to peek) is how far-again of an advance that is; just in the way things are made and how that allows minis to be designed. In terms of design; modern technology makes fan input not only possible (as in the highlander and flashman fan-funding) but almost demands it and I am increasingly baffled when I see projects going forward without it. Even 40K, though they will never admit it, took the inspiration for the new Primaris Space Marine models directly from the universally-lauded fan works in "true-scale" which have been appearing online for over a decade now.

If you're looking for a connection between PP and MWO in terms of what the fanbase will accept...I'd really need to know how much of the playerbase for MWO were actual active or semi-active BT fans? The MechWarrior series has ALWAYS been much more accessible and widespread than the tabletop game and as goes the MechWarrior games; so go the vast majority of their mechwarrior players. Judging anything of the tabletop playerbase by the computer game playerbase would thus be a mistake. I'm sure we can find people on this board (thread?) who came here from Mech Assault, MW4, MWO or even Crescent Hawk's Inception. But if the vast majority of the people who play those games never make the leap to the tabletop, is it wise to be marketting to their taste in aesthetics? Which is not to say that no-one who plays mainly or only the TT wargame Battletech does not prefer the models of MWO or BTPC. The overwhelming vocal opinion is that this is not only wise, but imperative. So, okay. But a few more points to add;

Two aspects of tabletop gaming that this current approach to certain models robs us of is the scenario-gamer and the power-gamer.

Neither of these care a whit about how a given design *looks*. While they may appreciate something attractive on the tabletop, they can do without it in order to have the satisfaction of playing the scenario as-written or having the best-possible mech for the points on the board. What they want is to be able to display the model a given scenario (be it historical to the setting or random from that awesome table going around) demands or to take advantage of the strengths of a given model.

If I am doing Delta Company vs Cochraine's Goliaths (or I've just wanted to FOREVER); I need Goliaths, about 36, actually and they should look as-described in the book; tall elephantine-take on a headless AT-AT with a turret on top. Likewise if another scenario or RAT roll calls for a Scorpion. And the Ostroc is one of the better 3025 60 tonners. The Ostsol; one of the best overall zombie-mechs of all time. In neither case do I care a lot what they look like; save it would be nice to have something basically appropriate for the era. if I am going to proxy; I can do so just as well with Micromachine AT-ATs or bottle caps as with a PP Goliath. Heck; with even just the art i can do standees.

A downfall of these one-piece, fixed-pose KS minis is limited draw for a multiple-buy for the modellers among us. I have four Ostwars I am working on. With their construction I can build each one in a different post to differentiate them. I know you'll get to multi-part minis, eventually, or at least; I hope so, but right now it is a drawback.

An advantage is the potential for enhanced affordability and (eventual) access to the individual models for bulk and custom-purchases online (oh PLEASE LET IT BE SO!), do down the road I could go onto the site (whichever it is) and buy those two Warhammers; the Stone Rhino and three Stingers that I just decide that I want for reasons.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #1090 on: 11 October 2019, 11:03:16 »
what always annoys me is the so-called E config.  It is Pulse with a token ATM to get that E moniker. 

While the H configs were specifically Heavy Laser additions, those that added ATMs simply used the next available letter. See: Daishi C, Masakari D, Loki C, Vulture D, Battle Cobra C, Shadow Cat C, Nobori-Nin D, Crossbow C, and Turkina D. Also check out the non-ATM E configs of the Masakari, Crossbow, and Hankyu. The Cauldron-Born didn't gets its E until recently; it also packs a HAG. Many omnis already had four alternate configs (A-D) before the introduction of ATMs, making the next one an E, but the list above should be enough to show that it was not an equipment-specific designation. No annoyance is necessary over the use of the letter.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1091 on: 11 October 2019, 11:34:43 »
It's also hardly the only omni to have only a token ATM pod in its ATM configuration.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1092 on: 11 October 2019, 11:50:52 »
Timber Wolf E, Stormcrow E, Adder E, Gargoyle E, Summoner E, Ice Ferret E, Nova E, Nova Cat E, Blood Asp E, Kingfisher E, Black Lanner E, Linebacker E, Stooping Hawk E, Viper E, Kit Fox E, Cougar E, Mist Lynx E, Grendel E, Pouncer E, Phantom E, Fire Falcon E and Executioner E . . . so, while not applied as strictly- the Stooping Hawk F has Heavy lasers, no H config, as does the Nova Cat D- its still a pretty solid rule.  Its a token weapon that gives lip service to having a ATM configuration, its like sticking a LRM5 on most Hunchbacksso it has 'range.'  Most others that have a single ATM have larger launchers or more ammo . . . or are smaller, like the Kit Fox having a single ATM3, ERPPC and JJs.

I have been disappointed we never got a ATM Epona, its a great platform for the weapon system.

beachhead . . . they are plastic, I know I have seen plenty of pictures of people already cutting up GoAC box mechs to reposition them.  I did it with AS Lance Packs, but not ready to try with the new ones yet.
Colt Ward

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #1093 on: 11 October 2019, 13:54:20 »
If the Gyr had only used SRMs to back up the lasers, would you be okay with it having the 'E' designation?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1094 on: 11 October 2019, 14:01:28 »
I guess, I think it should have gotten a P designation instead . . . but yeah, it would join the other non-ATM Es.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1095 on: 11 October 2019, 14:42:52 »
E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E

guys i'm seeing a pattern here

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1096 on: 11 October 2019, 14:53:40 »
You need to make it more fun, W E E E E E E E E E E E E!
Colt Ward

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #1097 on: 11 October 2019, 15:20:33 »
Coincidentally, that's the sound Diamond Shark merchants make when they sell highly ammo-dependent systems...
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1098 on: 11 October 2019, 15:38:03 »
We are off-topic here.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1099 on: 11 October 2019, 15:41:45 »
Sure . . . to put it back on . .

FLGS is hosting a 24 hour charity event, we are setting up a BT table 2 hours in with a fun grinder.  I will be looking to see if the Scourge is in, if not I will be ordering it . . . and handing it as a Christmas.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1100 on: 11 October 2019, 16:25:28 »
Haven't seen the third quarter releases show up anywhere yet.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1101 on: 11 October 2019, 16:35:44 »
If its not, I will tell them I am interested in it for their next order.  Or have the wife ask so they contact her.
Colt Ward

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #1102 on: 19 October 2019, 14:10:54 »
Q3 releases are out! All 3 look GREAT! Psycho did an awesome job on the T-Bolt IIC 2 Variant (some will call it a resculpt)
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #1103 on: 20 October 2019, 14:52:11 »
Just thinking. Shouldn't the fansculpts from late last year be due? The Zibler Fast Attack Tank was funded in later December for one.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1104 on: 20 October 2019, 15:02:24 »
Zibler??
Colt Ward

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #1105 on: 20 October 2019, 15:05:34 »
Just thinking. Shouldn't the fansculpts from late last year be due? The Zibler Fast Attack Tank was funded in later December for one.

Can't wait for those to come out as well!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1106 on: 20 October 2019, 19:28:12 »
Q3 releases are out! All 3 look GREAT! Psycho did an awesome job on the T-Bolt IIC 2 Variant (some will call it a resculpt)

Just in time for my credit card to cycle  ;D

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #1107 on: 20 October 2019, 22:03:18 »
I don't know where to post this suggestion... and it may have already been beaten to pieces....

When are we going to see a KS to upgrade IW Metals to IW Miniatures?

imho: IWM needs to be in the Resin /3D printed miniature market as well.

I'm good for $50.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #1108 on: 20 October 2019, 22:08:16 »
I don't know where to post this suggestion... and it may have already been beaten to pieces....

When are we going to see a KS to upgrade IW Metals to IW Miniatures?

imho: IWM needs to be in the Resin /3D printed miniature market as well.

I'm good for $50.

Beaten to pieces, super glued back together, and beaten again.

I love my metal...but, with the new Catalyst minis in hand...I do like them, and their weight to ship is fantastic!

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #1109 on: 21 October 2019, 19:14:52 »

It is done, it got behind but is in process of getting printed so molding can happen.