Author Topic: Command Consoles and Vehicle Traits  (Read 1403 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Command Consoles and Vehicle Traits
« on: 28 May 2023, 21:17:17 »
So I'm wondering how you guys would arrange this at your table.  I'm making a unit commander for fun, someone to occupy the Command Console seat in a Marauder II.  Since this won't be the dedicated pilot and instead be the overall Force Commander, would you still require them to take Custom Vehicle and Vehicle traits?  The dedicated pilot will, of course, have those traits themselves, but does the person riding shotgun need them as well?  How would you handle it at your table?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Command Consoles and Vehicle Traits
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2023, 22:14:37 »
I would let the two characters pool their points to buy the necessary equipment/quirks.  No need to pay for the machine twice.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2023, 22:16:54 »
I wouldn't require the Vehicle trait, but if they have to take the stick for whatever reason the full penalty for insufficient Vehicle TP from AToWC would apply. On that Marauder II, that would mean a character with no or very little Vehicle TP would be making its skill checks at a hefty -4 penalty.

Custom Vehicle is a bit more difficult, but I'd personally probably just allow the 'Mech's owner to be the one with the trait.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2023, 22:54:33 »
Unless you're going with a custom ride, you should be okay with Vehicle alone. Canonically there's some variants with the Double Cockpit/Command Console. A Maddy II yeah I don't recall there being a canon Command one so maybe the custom trait is needed there.

I would rule it that the person piloting it would be the overall "owner" and would be responsible for the traits and requirements of the 'Mech.
The person running the other seat is the Force Commander and therefore isn't required to have the traits since it's not their ride.

I do agree with the idea pokefan had if the FC needs to drive the stick. If they don't have the appropriate vehicle trait amount that should factor in, someone not used to running the 'Mech as their pilot after all.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2023, 00:28:15 »
It'd be for the MAD-6C from Recognition Guide 05; it's an all-energy zombie with a command console that just felt like the right kind of ride for a particular character.  I didn't know about the Companion's rules on the Vehicle trait, that's some good stuff to consider.  I suppose I can throw some points into the trait for the commander so that just in case, they're not completely screwed with a -4 to piloting and gunnery.  Thank goodness that ATOW reinforced its point-buy construction rather than doubled down on the lifepath results.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2023, 06:37:39 »
For reference, the rules being discussed are on page 47 of the AToW Companion.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2023, 04:22:35 »
It is a crew of 2 mech . I see no problem with the pilot paying for the vehicle and the commander paying for the Customization .

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2023, 17:24:31 »
It gets trickier when there are vehicles in the mix of PCs...

Register