Author Topic: C3 Master-Slave for six-unit groups?  (Read 3900 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: C3 Master-Slave for six-unit groups?
« Reply #30 on: 20 June 2020, 13:52:20 »
3 C3-Masters seems like a huge waste of tonnage in a 6 man unit.

Honestly,  I still thinking just using a single C3 lance leaving 2 units off is the best option.
Especially since you've stated you want some infantry in the unit.

That or just use C3i.

Best ones to leave off IMHO are the Infantry obviously, and either, the APC, or,  a "Bodyguard" unit.

If you have the C3M & 1 Slave as "Gunners" from long range.  And you have 2 Spotters (1 of them being an IFV)
Then you have perfect option to leave off a Bodyguard type unit who won't be providing a lot of long ranged firepower but will be the mid ranged interceptor operating between the gunboats & spotters.
In that roll it really doesn't need C3S since you should still be getting medium or better ranged shots from either the gunboats or spotters.

Example Force:
Atlas-CM
LRM Carrier-3058
Nightsky
Maxim-C3S
Spider-C
IS Standard BA Squad

The above unit will rain down 80 LRMs to crit hunt any holes the Gauss & ERLL make.

All while dropping off BA in the enemy rear area.

And good luck getting at the LRM carrier when its behind and Atlas & there is a Nightsky mounting Pulse Lasers & Axe roaming the mid field.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 21 June 2020, 11:09:33 »
I found the problem is, it is comparing a 'lance' with 3 slaves and 3 masters and a lance with 4 slaves and 3 masters(if it is a mech/vehicle lance). Anyway the numbers of masters are all the same, and the function of a unit with two C3 Masters surely reduced compared by a unit with a C3 Master. So, aside three slaves and one master, one lance have two unit with one C3 Masters while the other lance have one unit with two C3 Masters and one unit with a C3 Slave. Then which lance would make better overall performance?

I can agreed on that, reducing the units with C3 Masters by two can have the tactical advantage, that you are only need to hide two among them rather than three. But generally which one is better? Allowed to hide two rather than three units, or additional 4 tons of spare tonnage and 4 slots can be spent elsewhere? Will 'more tonnage' surpass the tactical advantage, or not?

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 24 July 2020, 01:09:09 »
I would deploy a lance of standard C3 and Hammer Anvil  combo  . TAG and Arrow IV .TAG and homing combo gives the accuracy  you expect from C3 so you might not notice  not all units are linked.  C3 is usless in indirect fire anyways so pointless to include in a network
« Last Edit: 27 July 2020, 02:49:37 by Col Toda »

Register