Author Topic: I started a YouTube series on how to play BattleTech  (Read 2120 times)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
I started a YouTube series on how to play BattleTech
« on: 29 June 2020, 22:52:36 »
My camera work and editing are not complete crap this time.

This is the third series I made. The first two series were for AToW and AS; I know my camera work and editing was bad. I had never made videos before, and I needed to make them under a strict time limit. Many of you gave me excellent, constructive feedback on those first two series, which I used to improve my most recent series on BattleTech. Please continue giving me feedback.

This series is not finished yet; I still need to make at least videos for attacking, heat, and the end phase. Also note that the series is meant to only cover the game's basics. If I wanted to cover every nitty gritty rule, I would need to read the entire book off.

Next, I plan on remaking my AS series with camera work and editing that is at least as good as my BattleTech series. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW4v4K6PB7qK-hdRwU2FQ3MupQyBKQfa9

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Re: I started a YouTube series on how to play BattleTech
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2020, 23:02:52 »
Are my intro and outro sounds too loud? Playing the drums for a few years left me a bit deaf. Changing the intro and outro volumes for every video at this point would cause some hassle.

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2020, 23:12:56 »
Nah I dug it. And the marauder shirt, spectacular.

Do you script it, or just go off the top of your head?  You loosen up as things go on and start having fun (maybe 1 min, 1:15 in), and it really comes together.  Good work!

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2020, 23:16:43 »
Nah I dug it. And the marauder shirt, spectacular.

Do you script it, or just go off the top of your head?  You loosen up as things go on and start having fun (maybe 1 min, 1:15 in), and it really comes together.  Good work!

I just go off the top of my head, but sometimes I end up doing a bunch of takes, so it can sound scripted at times. Naturally, I plan things out before hand. I realize that I oddly pause at times, but I will say the wrong words if I don't slow myself down sometimes.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2020, 16:43:46 »
I'm not on leave until after tomorrow, but I'll certainly try to give it a look after that!  :thumbsup:

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2020, 22:32:10 »
I'm not on leave until after tomorrow, but I'll certainly try to give it a look after that!  :thumbsup:

Awesome sauce!

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2020, 16:14:56 »
TAG.

Currently listening to an Audiobook but I will check it out later.  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2020, 12:14:40 »
Finally had time to start reviewing.  Here goes:

1) I recommend at least naming the other core rulebooks, though it would be better to give a quick summary of each.  At least as far as Tech Manual and TacOps (both volumes).

2) In the intro section, I think a mention about simultaneity would be helpful, especially since you use the phrase "we all take a turn".  You do get to it around minute 3, but I think that's a bit late, and could cause confusion.  I would also recommend using legal moves as examples, even this early.  This will prevent confusion later.  I also see you're using tanks in your examples.  You may want to stick to 'mechs at first.

3) It might be a little early to say "expending movement points", and it's not exactly clear with regard to where you start.  I think you're saying a unit starts one hex off the board, and needs to move into the first hex, vice starting there.

4) You might want to mention "level 0" flat ground in your initial list of terrain.  This video feels more like a miniatures discussion than rules, and I'm not sure it fits here.

5) The text note about jumping is a bit jarring at the beginning.  I think that might have been better accomplished with a verbal "... we'll start with just walking and running...".  The point about bipedal 'mechs really should include the words "without turning".  When you do get to turning, you say "change hex side" instead of "change facing".  I recommend the latter.  Also the "about face" section included walking forward one hex for 4 MP... the "about face" itself only took 3 MP.  I would also recommend a remark at the beginning that the various movement modes impact firing.  It's interesting they recommend using Black for running in the book.  My group uses White for Walking, Red for Running, and Blue for Jumping.  We set the die to 5 if the unit moved for zero, and 6 (as recommended) if held still, but the color still matches the movement mode (usually White, for obvious reasons).  In general, when you switch to a text page, you should already have it zoomed to a readable level.  There's really no reason to make your viewers wait for you to fiddle with it.  Having just finished episode 5, I have to say it seems a bit late to be introducing the tables, and a full 10 minute episode seems a little long to go over movement basics that don't actually include jumping (the ultimate short cut).

Ok, that's the first third.  I'll try to get at least another third knocked out tomorrow...

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2020, 13:47:24 »
Thank you so much for the feedback. Here are my responses to your feedback:

1.   You’re right. I will eventually make another video summarizing all the rule books. My only worry is that new covers are coming out.

2.   Oh crap, I meant to say, “…we all take a time…” I succeeded in saying “time” early in the video but then messed up and switched to “turn.” I absolutely hate how BattleTech uses “turn.” “Round” should refer to completing all the phases, not “turn.” At the table, we tell individual people that their turn is up when they need to do things. I clarified this in the description just now.

I won’t explain how combat vehicles work until after I finish ‘mechs. The tanks in the beginning serve as a type of foreshadowing.

3.   Yes, a unit needs to start off the map and move into the first hex by expending MP; that is what I’m saying. I did mention expending movement points early, but I find that introductory material often mentions information that gets explained later.

4.   Yeah, you’re probably right.

5.   Using that text note was not ideal nor my first choice. I put that in as I watched over the first 8 videos for errors. I should not have been so lazy and should have recorded me talking. Thanks for pointing this out.

As for “change hexside” verses “change facing,” you’re right—the books say “change facing.” I’m not sure why I’ve always said “change hexside.” I will put a note about this in the video description.   

I thought zooming into the text pages was important to help people know how to find the table more easily. Thank you for pointing out my mistake. In the future, I will have everything zoomed in from the beginning.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2020, 14:08:17 by BiggRigg42 »

ArcticShoto

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2020, 02:09:18 »
Good work, sir.  Good content for new players and those of us who forget uncommonly used rules as the years have gone by. 

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2020, 21:11:40 »
Good work, sir.  Good content for new players and those of us who forget uncommonly used rules as the years have gone by.

Thank you. I'm going to keep them coming once a week and eventually start on combat vehicles.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2020, 15:08:20 »
I'd do power armor before tanks; more useful to those getting CI boxes. YMMV.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2020, 13:53:58 »
I'd do power armor before tanks; more useful to those getting CI boxes. YMMV.

I thought about that, but tanks and combat vehicles benefit everyone whom bought Total Warfare. Battlearmor will mostly benefit just the true born. So, Ima do tanks first and battlearmor later. I appreciate your advice though. Thanks for reinforcing my belief that battlearmor is important. 
« Last Edit: 04 August 2020, 14:06:02 by BiggRigg42 »