Author Topic: So What would a Hughes class mobile shipyard look like?  (Read 2251 times)

Korzon77

• Captain
We know it can be put together from individual modular parts that can be transported by jumpship and that its fairly big.

But what would it include?  My thought is that it would include fairly extensive fabrication facilities-- a mobile shipyard implies that you're not always going to be in places with a currently established support structure, so you would probably include that with the station--or possibly as smaller space stations that are shipped with it. What would you make a hughs station look like?

snewsom2997

• Captain
Re: So What would a Hughes class mobile shipyard look like?
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2018, 09:10:35 »
Figure a Exposed Slip up to a couple million tons capacity (3 or 4 Hughes Sections), several smaller pressurized yards (6-12 Huges Sections), for fabrication of large complex components, Engines, KF-Drives, individual Ship modules. Then you have to have some amount of workshops and factories, for a basically static facility I would say 3 or 4 times what a Newgrange would carry (6-12 Hughes Sections), and even more if you are going to be fabricating the weapons and electronics locally. I would want several (6-12 Hughes modules) just for supplies and parts. Finally your 10-20k workers and administrators will need living space, (3-4 Hughes modules with large Grav Decks, like a Snowden Mining station.

I basically imagine something like the Pavaise SDS Station, but made of Hughes Station Blocks, just a bit bigger to take the Potemkins and McKennas.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2018, 10:03:54 »
Take a Pavise, strip out the weapons except Point Defense, use leftover tonnage as cargo, attach several factories and habitats to the 12 drop collars as needed. Including Pressurized and Unpressurized yard slips!

Not to shabby if you mind that each facility can be swaped out as needed.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2018, 00:55:27 »
I'd say it's either a modular space station design, like the Dragoons Hephaestus, or set of DropShip/Construction Shack designs that can build things. Note that for the later you wouldn't get proper 'slips' although such a thing is realistically unlikely in space construction.

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2018, 05:33:43 »
It might be both. I was thinking--the entire point of the Huges is that you want to be able to move it, but that means you might have to change things dramatically depending on where you're going. A covert shipyard in the periphery isn't going to be able to order parts, so you'd need more fabrication plants, wheras a temporary shipyard set up in a well-known region is going to be able to avail itself of local resources.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2018, 19:57:52 »
Where is this mentioned?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Register