Author Topic: Naval Pictures VII: Underway, Shift Colors!  (Read 152563 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Naval Pictures VII: Underway, Shift Colors!
« Reply #570 on: 08 December 2019, 21:52:26 »
They launched her, not commissioned.

They started cutting steel for the ship in 2009.  Ten years later, she Christened by Caroline Kennedy.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2019, 21:55:41 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #571 on: 08 December 2019, 22:49:51 »
Christened, yes, terribly sorry.  Blame being distracted by football.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #572 on: 09 December 2019, 03:01:30 »
I don't think there are many classes of ships that have had as bad a day as the Cressy-class cruisers on Sept 22, 1914 when a single Uboat (U-9) sunk 3 of the class in a single action.

HMS Cressy

HMS Aboukir

HMS Hogue

Armoured cruisers were to battlecruisers as pre-dreadnoughts were to dreadnoughts, and they really suffered accordingly.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #573 on: 09 December 2019, 13:10:48 »
I don't think there are many classes of ships that have had as bad a day as the Cressy-class cruisers

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Russian Borodino class, not only were they a very bad example of a Pre-Dreadnought Battleship but 3 were sunk and 1 captured in a single engagement. The fifth ship of the class would later be pounded to bits by German Dreadnoughts and sunk.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #574 on: 09 December 2019, 13:13:07 »
Out of curiosity, were the wrecks ever found on the Med's bottom?  Be interesting to see how close they are together.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

kato

• Captain
« Reply #575 on: 09 December 2019, 13:21:59 »
Out of curiosity, were the wrecks ever found on the Med's bottom?  Be interesting to see how close they are together.
They're in the North Sea, not the Mediterranean - 25 miles off The Hague at 100 ft depth.

Relative positions to each other:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #576 on: 09 December 2019, 14:22:26 »
Sorry that one shot had Med Sea on it which made me think they were there.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #577 on: 09 December 2019, 15:30:55 »
Zubr class LCAC from a somewhat unique angle

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #578 on: 09 December 2019, 15:31:47 »
I had that GI Joe toy!
Colt Ward

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #579 on: 09 December 2019, 16:56:48 »
I don't think there are many classes of ships that have had as bad a day as the Cressy-class cruisers on Sept 22, 1914 when a single Uboat (U-9) sunk 3 of the class in a single action.

There’s reasons why they were nicknamed “The Live Bait Squadron”.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #580 on: 09 December 2019, 17:59:25 »
Are those rocket launchers at the bow of the Zubr, or some kind of multi-barrel mortar?
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #581 on: 09 December 2019, 18:55:36 »
Rocket Launchers according to Wiki
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

kato

• Captain
« Reply #582 on: 09 December 2019, 23:32:03 »
More like SRMs actually in a BT sense. They have an automatic reload system.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #583 on: 10 December 2019, 01:10:36 »
i'm guessing those are the 122mm rockets, given those look to be retractable. they are basically the same system as the BM-21 Grad.
so closer to LRM's really, as they are a rocket artillery system. in fact the best way to model such weapons in BT would be Swarm LRM's 

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #584 on: 10 December 2019, 01:32:24 »
With function to fire smoke rounds at the landing site.
Shoot first, laugh later.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #585 on: 10 December 2019, 01:34:16 »
i'm guessing those are the 122mm rockets
These are 140mm Ogon rocket launchers:

They have a - for MRLs - relatively short range envelope of depending on rocket between 4.5 and 9 km. Reload magazine holds another 4 salvos (88 rockets per launcher).

The system can be traded for a retractable 122mm BM-21 (as a factory installation), although i haven't seen any installations like that. And given the bigger dimensions - the rockets are 3 times as long - this retractable system likely replaces both the Ogon launcher and its reload magazine as a one-shot solution.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2019, 01:37:13 by kato »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #586 on: 10 December 2019, 03:02:23 »

I wanna say the Clemson came close on September 8, 1923, but there were so many Clemsons built that the loss was almost statistically insignificant. The navy simply pulled another batch out of reserve.

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #587 on: 10 December 2019, 03:42:55 »
Zubr class LCAC from a somewhat unique angle

It's a nice photo. Makes me think I painted my miniature wrong.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #588 on: 10 December 2019, 03:50:46 »
One of the largest sailing super yachts in the world, the Kieler Förde.

It's 140m long, 90m wide.  When she was built in Germany for a Russian billionaire, she reportively cost 365 million Euros at the time in 2016.  The ship's sails are automated, digitally controlled from the bridge.
There seems to have been a mistake. The Yacht is called "Sailing Yacht A". "Kieler Förde" is just where the picture was taken. It's the inlet ("fjord") connecting the German harbor city of Kiel to the Balti Sea.
liber et infractus

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #589 on: 10 December 2019, 04:05:35 »
The French paid a few million for the QE plans and were supposed to use them to design a CATOBAR sister ship for Charles de Gaulle. So far nothing has appeared from that. It's said that plans for CdG's replacement, hopefully by 2 carriers, will be announced next year.
The QE-derivative - called PA2, i.e. Porte-Avions 2, "Aircraft Carrier 2") was cancelled in 2013. What next year will bring, we might see then.
liber et infractus

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #590 on: 10 December 2019, 09:08:22 »
The QE-derivative - called PA2, i.e. Porte-Avions 2, "Aircraft Carrier 2") was cancelled in 2013. What next year will bring, we might see then.
I think it depends on what the french government's budget is. They've been putting off building a new carrier for a while. I have doubts that they will build a nuclear carrier next year or even a carrier at the rate they're going they're probably better off using land-based aircraft.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #591 on: 10 December 2019, 10:04:59 »
I wanna say the Clemson came close on September 8, 1923, but there were so many Clemsons built that the loss was almost statistically insignificant. The navy simply pulled another batch out of reserve.

Seven on shore?  Iron Bottom Sound action?
Colt Ward

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #592 on: 10 December 2019, 10:38:59 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #593 on: 10 December 2019, 11:02:14 »
The future and the past.  USS Gerald Ford CVN-78 and former USS Enterprise CVN-65.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #594 on: 10 December 2019, 14:54:39 »
I have doubts that they will build a nuclear carrier next year
The PANG* study (ongoing since 2018, and to finish first half of 2020) is for Charles de Gaulle's replacement - due in 2035-2040, and with a projected service life to 2080.

There have been a couple parliamentary inquiries based on which some basic stats have been publicized that the study looks at. Basically, that turns out to be 60-90kt CATOBAR nuclear-powered supercarrier with EMALS, carrying a number of FCAS/NGF combat aircraft similar to CdG - however these each also bring along their associated drone swarms. FCAS (next German/French fighter) is still under early development of course, but for purposes of sizing PANG has been assumed to be "over 30 tons" MTOW (i.e. "bigger than F-35C").

Due to procurement and budget cycles it is not expected that a decision to build it will be taken before 2025.

* porte-avions de nouvelle génération

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #595 on: 10 December 2019, 15:59:13 »
The idea for the RN in terms of carrier aviation is that while it is nice to have CATOBAR it is an expensive option - aircrew training and rotation plus attrition on the airframes is much higher than for the STOVL and the RN has won at least one war with STOVL. I understand that one estimate was that you would need something like 80 F-35Cs plus a load of T-45Cs or similar to put out the air wing that can be achieved with a fraction of that with F-35Bs that can be qualified for carriers in a fraction of the time and effort.

In terms of the capability of the F-35B (and I will keep this brief), with STOVL as opposed to "true" VTOL the amount of weight that can be taken off with and brought back is much higher. I suspect the USMC may, if the USN doesn't do this spontaneously, start to build ski ramps on the various LHAs and LHDs.

The other element(s) to consider are that the QE class of carriers are built to be the centre of an amphibious expeditionary capability and CATOBAR would take up a lot more deck space and upper levels to do, which on the QEs is used for storing Royal Marine Commandos and helicopters.

Last, but not least, a CATOBAR QE would need to either have used the electro-magnetic catapult still rather new as a technology or have some sort of hybrid steam generator as they don't run on steam otherwise.
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #596 on: 11 December 2019, 12:01:51 »
Seven on shore?  Iron Bottom Sound action?
We call that area Devil's Jaw. Claimed many ships since the Spaniards came to California back in the Old Days.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #597 on: 11 December 2019, 12:10:16 »

I suspect the USMC may, if the USN doesn't do this spontaneously, start to build ski ramps on the various LHAs and LHDs.
They won't because they need that deck space for helicopter spots.

Last, but not least, a CATOBAR QE would need to either have used the electro-magnetic catapult still rather new as a technology or have some sort of hybrid steam generator as they don't run on steam otherwise.
They have left room to refit an EMALS catapult but that will depend on the kinks being worked out of the catapult system in time for QE's refit. And budget, of course.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #598 on: 11 December 2019, 12:36:33 »
So in the spirit of the season . .

2013, USN's 'Festival of Lights'

From the 80s

From our friends across the pond-

Colt Ward

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #599 on: 11 December 2019, 15:15:36 »
These are 140mm Ogon rocket launchers:

They have a - for MRLs - relatively short range envelope of depending on rocket between 4.5 and 9 km. Reload magazine holds another 4 salvos (88 rockets per launcher).

The system can be traded for a retractable 122mm BM-21 (as a factory installation), although i haven't seen any installations like that. And given the bigger dimensions - the rockets are 3 times as long - this retractable system likely replaces both the Ogon launcher and its reload magazine as a one-shot solution.

Same rocket as the old BM-14, right?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman