Author Topic: Naval Pictures VII: Underway, Shift Colors!  (Read 152694 times)

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
Re: Naval Pictures VII: Underway, Shift Colors!
« Reply #1350 on: 16 July 2020, 10:25:26 »
Link to a bunch of pics from inside the ship.  There's a lot of big pieces of steel that are warped.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1283649559101571072.html

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #1351 on: 16 July 2020, 10:27:22 »
Forklifts & Ground Support Equipment aka Yellow Gear... to which there is probably only about 2% that actually is still Yellow. Its been mostly white or Power-coat White for the past increasingly past decades. You might see a couple pieces of Legacy Hornet gear (maybe some boxes that hold engine rails or the boxes we use for checking GPU/MEPP* power via plug-ins. cant remember what the device nomen is but the cases are yellow and we've used them since the 70's) that's Yellow. Probably 99% of rolling stock is white.

Ground Power Units is what civilians call them. Mobile Electric Power Plants is what the Navy calls them...

&^%$ing Gone and to the Reefs. The Fire being as damaging as it was, makes sense, if there was petrol. I am uncertain who uses that type (the Mil-PRF Number doesn't jump at me so i don't believe IM04 uses it, unless they do not have any 30W). But yeah, that looks to be cheaper to buy another boat (or long shot, look at LHA-5. Even if they think about the Nasty, you still have to go thru the Canal...)
« Last Edit: 16 July 2020, 10:36:04 by ThePW »
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1352 on: 16 July 2020, 13:16:18 »
Will they be able to study any of the fire's effects for modern damage control?  I know they examine the Sink-Ex ships some before they finally go under.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #1353 on: 16 July 2020, 13:41:00 »
Update (near the bottom of the page) from the War Zone:

No more smoke!  Listing to port, but no more smoke!

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1354 on: 16 July 2020, 13:51:21 »
That's a victory for the firefighters at least!  :thumbsup:

We'll see what the bean counters think later...

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1355 on: 16 July 2020, 16:14:56 »
Update (near the bottom of the page) from the War Zone:

No more smoke!  Listing to port, but no more smoke!

Saw a post on Twitter from about half an hour ago that the Navy is saying all know fires are out.  And she has quite the list to port going on.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1356 on: 16 July 2020, 16:21:07 »
well they have been spraying and dumping water into the ship for days. with no pumps going to remove it.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1357 on: 16 July 2020, 16:37:44 »
Fortunately no one died in that mess.  The horrible part of me wants to rename it the Bonhomme Richarred now...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1358 on: 16 July 2020, 19:42:46 »
Poor Bonehomme Richards..thats going take a lot work to that ship's sort out.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #1359 on: 16 July 2020, 20:06:26 »
Fortunately no one died in that mess.  The horrible part of me wants to rename it the Bonhomme Richarred now...

The Bonfirey Richarred, surely

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1360 on: 16 July 2020, 21:11:33 »
The Bonfirey Richarred, surely

My mind took the images of the soot and other stains from the fire and went to the name of a certain type of English pudding.

:-[

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1361 on: 18 July 2020, 15:50:17 »
And now for something completely different ...

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1362 on: 18 July 2020, 16:17:01 »
Is this suitably different?

My parents have an garden bench made from teak recovered from the Admiralty Yacht HMS Enchantress after she was broken up. HMS Enchantress was about 3,500t displacement and capable of around 18kts. She was used extensively by Wintson Churchill to visit British naval bases.

My dad thinks his parents bought the bench just before the start of WWII.
Pictures are the bench itself, a close-up of the plaque, and a photo of HMS Enchantress I found online.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1363 on: 18 July 2020, 18:23:54 »
USS George C Marshall being commissioned on 29 April 1966.

The flag (pennant?  I'm not sure what the correct name is) that flew on the bow of the Marshall when she was commissioned hanging in my parent's basement.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1364 on: 18 July 2020, 19:12:29 »
This is the HMS Jupiter. Commissioned in 1939, she was a British J-Class Destroyer.

She was noted for her service in the Pacific, she was part task force which included the Battlecruiser Repulse and Prince of Wales.
She was lost during the Battle of the Java Sea, when she struck a mine after having sunk a Japanese submarine.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2020, 19:16:07 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #1365 on: 18 July 2020, 22:19:42 »
The flag (pennant?  I'm not sure what the correct name is) that flew on the bow of the Marshall when she was commissioned hanging in my parent's basement.

That is the Union Jack, flown from the bow of a warship when stationary. If your family no longer wants it, I'd contact a submarine museum for donation, and preservation.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1366 on: 18 July 2020, 23:00:17 »

Lolwut
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1367 on: 19 July 2020, 04:01:17 »
I very much agree on the CG and CN pictures! :D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1368 on: 19 July 2020, 05:44:17 »
I'm just not understanding the standard that was used to determine each.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1369 on: 19 July 2020, 06:17:19 »
Other than the "chaotic" category I figure it's just "I like = Good, I don't like = Evil".

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1370 on: 19 July 2020, 09:06:27 »
That is the Union Jack, flown from the bow of a warship when stationary. If your family no longer wants it, I'd contact a submarine museum for donation, and preservation.

Thank you.  I know Dad told me the correct term, but I couldn't remember it.  And it's been been in the back of my mind to donate it to the U.S. submarine force museum in the future.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1371 on: 19 July 2020, 09:29:02 »
Is there a story as to how your family wonnd up with it?
I have spoken.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1372 on: 19 July 2020, 17:48:58 »
Is there a story as to how your family wonnd up with it?

Dad is the sailor in the commissioning pic that's just in front of the American flag on the stern.  At some point after the ceremony whomever was in charge of the flag detail gave him the Union Jack.  They kept the American flag that flew on the stern.

Edit: I get the feeling this question was about the cooler story about the bench. I really need to pay better attention when I'm reading.  ;D
« Last Edit: 19 July 2020, 19:29:48 by hoosierhick »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1373 on: 19 July 2020, 17:51:41 »
Is this suitably different?

My parents have an garden bench made from teak recovered from the Admiralty Yacht HMS Enchantress after she was broken up. HMS Enchantress was about 3,500t displacement and capable of around 18kts. She was used extensively by Wintson Churchill to visit British naval bases.

My dad thinks his parents bought the bench just before the start of WWII.
Pictures are the bench itself, a close-up of the plaque, and a photo of HMS Enchantress I found online.

Insanely cool! Shudder to think how much you'd have to pay to insure it.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1374 on: 19 July 2020, 18:26:18 »
Insanely cool! Shudder to think how much you'd have to pay to insure it.

I'm pretty sure it's not insured beyond whatever generic household contents insurance my parents have. If they wanted better insurance they probably wouldn't be able to leave it in the garden eyar-round anymore  :)

The only time it had any special protection was when my grandparents put it in the Anderson Shelter in the back garden during the Blitz, and that had more to do with it being a hard-wearing piece of furniture that could seat three in a pinch and with double as a child's bed!
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1375 on: 24 July 2020, 22:34:50 »
HMS Duke of York

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1376 on: 28 July 2020, 09:14:34 »

this makes me giggle, even though I don't think I understand most of it...
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1377 on: 28 July 2020, 09:48:38 »
Random drop:

The German coastguard is replacing three of its four large multipurpose ships with new units. Will enter service in 2023-2025.

They are sorta similar in operations to the USCG seagoing buoy tender Juniper class, although in comparison they are about three to four times the size (around 6,500 tons displacement) and a bit better-equipped on every aspect. Unlike the Junipers they additionally also handle firefighting at sea, including maintaining a full NBC citadel. Main purpose of these ships is to maintain a readiness force for any maritime emergencies, in particular with spills, within German national waters with ships stationed to be on-site within two hours.

A bit unusually they'll also run on LNG instead of diesel. While that's mostly an environmental consideration they're also pitching it as being beneficial for firefighting operations at sea - diesels apparently tend to choke on fumes.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #1378 on: 28 July 2020, 10:44:42 »
That looks so much like it's built out of the old LEGO ships hull pieces, and I'm sure I had the LEGO pieces for the bridge windows, too. But then, those pieces were probably made to replicate that kind of vessel, so ... :-)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1379 on: 29 July 2020, 17:39:59 »
On the move for the first time since the 1990s...

The Lun class ekranoplan MD-160 is being moved to new area to be displayed.  I wish they were move it to be restored. It was neat concept. a WIGE ;)