Author Topic: Looking for artwork source - Thor's Arms/Thor's Army  (Read 2158 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Looking for artwork source - Thor's Arms/Thor's Army
« on: 04 January 2019, 18:00:34 »
Some years ago, I found what appeared to be a partial logo for the Illyrian Palatinate's mercenary force - variably called the Arms of Thor or Thor's Army (Right Arm of Thor & Left Arm of Thor) in some black and white art in an official BattleTech product.  The problem is, I can't currently locate the original source.

The illustration, as best I can recall, shows a female backed up against a 'Mech limb, with the "Thor" logo partially obliterated by incoming fire.  She's looking to the viewer's right (to her left) and shooting that direction, and there's incoming fire from off page from the right, hitting all around her. 

The reconstructed logo is attached.  If anyone can help me identify the source, that would be grand.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2019, 18:07:42 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
Re: Looking for artwork source - Thor's Arms/Thor's Army
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2019, 19:14:39 »
Some years ago, I found what appeared to be a partial logo for the Illyrian Palatinate's mercenary force - variably called the Arms of Thor or Thor's Army (Right Arm of Thor & Left Arm of Thor) in some black and white art in an official BattleTech product.  The problem is, I can't currently locate the original source.

The illustration, as best I can recall, shows a female backed up against a 'Mech limb, with the "Thor" logo partially obliterated by incoming fire.  She's looking to the viewer's right (to her left) and shooting that direction, and there's incoming fire from off page from the right, hitting all around her. 

The reconstructed logo is attached.  If anyone can help me identify the source, that would be grand.

Its there any artist sign or date in ¡n the illustration? Or you cal recall the style? (artist like Jeff Laubenstein tended to be in old books like 1ed Periphery, while Plog is working in the last 20 years or so).
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2019, 20:37:25 »
Problem is all I have on hand is the colored version.  It looks like Plog, though.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2019, 08:52:48 »

I don't have the source, but I'd start by looking into the Mercenaries Supplemental products. IIRC most of the unit logos are black and white.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2019, 10:04:13 »
This wasn’t an official logo - just some incidental art in a sourcebook that seemed to be intended as the Thor’s Arms logo.  Thor’s Arms never got a FM writeup.

Chinless

• Modicis Amice
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2019, 15:38:40 »

I vaguely remember something like that. Did  you mention it in the forums? 

Sarna also uses that logo for its write-up of Thor's Arms, but doesn't give a source for it.

Chris

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2019, 16:19:34 »
I passed it to Sarna when they updated the page last week, but I wanted to properly source it.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2019, 16:28:20 »
I like it, don't recognize it though.

Chinless

• Modicis Amice
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2019, 16:47:41 »
I've found the image, well sort of! Its in MaxTech p67 and p60 in the Revised version, but its not as it was described - the logo is there, but no other elements. I wonder if there is perhaps another image which also features the logo and the female subject? The artist was John Paul Lona, and is dated 1997. Assuming the same artist, it'll be late FASA-era stuff.

Will keep looking and see if I can find anything else.

Chris

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2019, 16:51:08 »
Awesome - I was probably misremembering the other elements.  I will check my copies at once and pass it to the Sarna crew for proper attribution.  Yay! 

While it's not explicitly tagged as being the logo for the Left Arm of Thor and Right Arm of Thor mercenary battalions (alternately called "Thor's Arms" or "Thor's Army"), it's pretty perfect for that theme.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2019, 17:38:25 by Mendrugo »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2019, 16:53:19 »
Looks like the illustration was intended to be for the Command Console.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2019, 17:57:52 »
Awesome - I was probably misremembering the other elements.  I will check my copies at once and pass it to the Sarna crew for proper attribution.  Yay! 

While it's not explicitly tagged as being the logo for the Left Arm of Thor and Right Arm of Thor mercenary battalions (alternately called "Thor's Arms" or "Thor's Army"), it's pretty perfect for that theme.
Unless it's specifically noted as being the logo for the unit, it shouldn't be put with the unit's write-up on Sarna. Also, your reconstructed and colorized image technically is fan art. The only editing of canon images allowed is cropping for clarity.

Chinless

• Modicis Amice
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2019, 07:44:48 »
Unless it's specifically noted as being the logo for the unit, it shouldn't be put with the unit's write-up on Sarna. Also, your reconstructed and colorized image technically is fan art. The only editing of canon images allowed is cropping for clarity.

Exactly this! Without a possible link to the unit in the art, this is just a random logo. I see its already been listed up on Sarna as the unit's logo, which it can't be proved to be.

I will keep looking further to see if I can find any other art that links it to the unit.

Chris

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2019, 13:18:33 »
I see its already been listed up on Sarna as the unit's logo, which it can't be proved to be.
I removed it after communicating with the person who put it up. I'll be happy to add it back if someone finds a canon reference.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2019, 14:52:51 »
No time today, but (hopefully tomorrw) I'll replace that colorated image with an unedited scan from the original source, and properly note on the image that it is "thought to depcit the unit crest of the Arms of Thor". I'll similarly put it back into the Arms of Thor article with a notion that this might be the crest, but there is nothing going with the image to corroborate this assumption.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2019, 20:43:58 »
No time today, but (hopefully tomorrw) I'll replace that colorated image with an unedited scan from the original source, and properly note on the image that it is "thought to depcit the unit crest of the Arms of Thor". I'll similarly put it back into the Arms of Thor article with a notion that this might be the crest, but there is nothing going with the image to corroborate this assumption.
Really, I wouldn't go so far as to say it is thought to depict their logo. That is stepping into FanFic territory. There is literally nothing published (so far as we have seen) to connect the two. It isn't even in the same book as any mention of the unit. Yes it is quite likely a depiction of Thor--rather common for warriors I would expect. But that is all it is.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2019, 20:46:48 by Cache »

Chinless

• Modicis Amice
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2019, 15:44:17 »

Having now looked through virtually every Fasa-produced product, I haven't come across any other instances of the image, nor of the scene that Mendrugo originally mentioned. It's possible I've missed it of course, or it may appear in a FanPro or CGL product, but at this point I'd say that the image has no links to the Arm's of Thor.

Chris