Author Topic: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.  (Read 55090 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.
« Reply #120 on: 31 March 2022, 23:30:53 »
Ok, I flipped Chance and Anastasia, but that they are not vested in the same person is a key characteristic.

The Wolves are not in a position to fight the Cappies and force the 3 other Clans to fall in line, it is why Alaric uses symbols.  He brought the Great Father's flagship back to Terra (again) and finally interned him in the proper place.  The chance for Clanners to be on Terra, to properly wear the uniform of the Star League, and to also prove themselves as warriors are all factors pulling the average warrior under his sway.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #121 on: 01 April 2022, 01:34:08 »
He doesnt require them to be forced into falling in line, diplomacy (admittedly not a Clan strength) could be used to sway the existing Clans/Houses into co-operating into a new Star League v3.0.
Once you get one or two on side, the rest should be more.... inclined to follow suit - being on the inside rather than the outside.
It's easy to get the Lyrans & Davions on side - the FWL a bit more difficult but not too difficult. The rest of the Clans should be doable (maybe not the Horses though as the nSL will need a test example of its muscle) - Jade Falcons - official recognition and combination with the Black Watch Falcons, Bears can be tempted with kicking the Horses and Combine, Jags will be onside just by dint of the circumstances at the moment. The Combine can be brought into the fold by negotiating a cease fire between the Bears and the Combine. Lastly... who doesn't love the Cappies... thats right. Everyone. So they'd have to be brought into line by force of arms.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #122 on: 01 April 2022, 09:48:35 »
What do folks think of the Gargoyle Conal?  I do not like both ERPPCs being in one arm- maybe it was originally a mod someone made using a Executioner arm?- BUT it is another config of the Gargoyle for 3050 that plays to it's heat sinking strengths that I would like to see used more . . . by 3059, the stigma should be past.

Gargoyle Conal-
2 ERPPC/RA
2 SSRM6/LT
ECM/CT
LTAG/CT
APod in each leg

I would not mind seeing one in the 3100s taking off that, make the ERPPCs into iHLLs and use that weight to give it a supercharger . . . get rid of the A-Pods too.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #123 on: 01 April 2022, 11:54:39 »
What do folks think of the Gargoyle Conal?  I do not like both ERPPCs being in one arm- maybe it was originally a mod someone made using a Executioner arm?- BUT it is another config of the Gargoyle for 3050 that plays to it's heat sinking strengths that I would like to see used more . . . by 3059, the stigma should be past.

Gargoyle Conal-
2 ERPPC/RA
2 SSRM6/LT
ECM/CT
LTAG/CT
APod in each leg

I would not mind seeing one in the 3100s taking off that, make the ERPPCs into iHLLs and use that weight to give it a supercharger . . . get rid of the A-Pods too.
I really wish the ERPPCs and SSRM racks had been split one to each arm. Then it could easily be confused for a stock Gargoyle. That feels like it would have been something right up Conal's alley. Some visual deception and of course not hiding, but definitely not explaining this was a custom Garg either. I could even see him using this in mind games, using a mix of ERPPC and LB-5X Gargs so the enemy never knew which was the more potent 'Mech killers, possibly wasting efforts in a duel with the wrong one.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #124 on: 03 April 2022, 03:22:04 »
The Man O War Conal is one of the best configurations of that OmniMech. That's also a very, very low bar to clear. Its a good general purpose murder machine that does its best to work with the inherent limitations of a crappy chassis.

With that being said, I'll agree with wantec's comments. It'd work better with an ER PPC and Streak-6 in each arm rather than the current layout in order to give it more flexibility and less chance of losing the majority of its firepower in one hit.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #125 on: 03 April 2022, 10:09:02 »
Yeah, TBH, I do not care about the SSRMs getting moved, but putting a ERPPC in each arm would be better.

Which is why I said I think it was a config built off of using a Executioner arm.
Colt Ward

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
« Reply #126 on: 06 April 2022, 13:42:52 »
So, y'all think that the 7th Guards Battle Cluster is a rebuilt 7th Battle Cluster? I haven't read the novels so I don't know if there's anything referencing this in there, but timing-wise this seems to be what happened (ie. after getting mauled by the Wolf Hunters in Hollabrun). What's with these Guards Battle Clusters anyway? That's a rather clunky designation.

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #127 on: 06 April 2022, 14:21:21 »
Something just hit me. With all the time the Wolves spent in the Free Worlds League area as of late, there is no Albatross C or IIC. There should be one.

As far as Wolf cluster names go, I've heard that the use of Guards is taken from the Russian military, where a Guards unit is designated as an Elite formation or something like that.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #128 on: 06 April 2022, 14:53:06 »
So, y'all think that the 7th Guards Battle Cluster is a rebuilt 7th Battle Cluster? I haven't read the novels so I don't know if there's anything referencing this in there, but timing-wise this seems to be what happened (ie. after getting mauled by the Wolf Hunters in Hollabrun). What's with these Guards Battle Clusters anyway? That's a rather clunky designation.

It is them embracing the stupid lack of F&W fact checking and Stackpole picking up his Wolf notes, forgetting the Refusal War's fallout.  A Guards cluster loses Striker/Assault/Battle/whatever to accept the honor- and Decoy is right, it probably is a Kerensky/Russian culture carry-over- it is sort of a unit citation.  The 4th Wolf Guards Cluster in WCSB sort of describes what happens.
Colt Ward

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #129 on: 06 April 2022, 15:08:24 »
Something just hit me. With all the time the Wolves spent in the Free Worlds League area as of late, there is no Albatross C or IIC. There should be one.

The various "C" mechs of the wolf empire mostly reflect mechs the worlds the wolves captured produced, and The Wolf Empire never took Irian where the Albatross is manafactured. Irian had been a republic world until the dark ages when it briefly went independant before joining the reconsisuted FWL.

In fact, I kinda suspect the Albatross is no longer in production in the 3100s
The Suns will shine again

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #130 on: 06 April 2022, 15:19:53 »
I was kind of figuring for Dan. C'est la.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
« Reply #131 on: 06 April 2022, 15:35:06 »
It is them embracing the stupid lack of F&W fact checking and Stackpole picking up his Wolf notes, forgetting the Refusal War's fallout.  A Guards cluster loses Striker/Assault/Battle/whatever to accept the honor- and Decoy is right, it probably is a Kerensky/Russian culture carry-over- it is sort of a unit citation.  The 4th Wolf Guards Cluster in WCSB sort of describes what happens.

Yeah, I was indeed aware of the Guards designation, but I was just honing in on this weird "Guards Battle" gimmick. I think the first of those appeared after the Refusal War and now it has happened to perhaps my favorite Cluster. Might indeed be an oversight that's been canonized, as you suggest. You'd think they wouldn't just port their old number over as a rule in becoming a Guards cluster, since that wouldn't really work unless there happens to be opening so to speak. Also, it's not really only a Russian thing to have Guards units (though they're certainly a prominent example these days). Hearkens to olden imperial/monarchic days in Europe too.
« Last Edit: 06 April 2022, 15:37:15 by GoGo Yubari »

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #132 on: 06 April 2022, 15:35:39 »

I figure it would be a 1 off thing to be honest.
Colt Ward

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #133 on: 06 April 2022, 15:59:29 »

That would be fitting.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #134 on: 06 April 2022, 16:27:14 »
The various "C" mechs of the wolf empire mostly reflect mechs the worlds the wolves captured produced, and The Wolf Empire never took Irian where the Albatross is manafactured. Irian had been a republic world until the dark ages when it briefly went independant before joining the reconsisuted FWL.

Washburn produced the Albatross per Obj:FWL.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #135 on: 06 April 2022, 19:36:00 »
Washburn produced the Albatross per Obj:FWL.

ahh, gotcha I was going from sarna.net which only lists a refit center there

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #136 on: 22 April 2022, 15:32:46 »
So the GDL Lance Pack will have the 3150 GDL CO's mech- a Gargoyle.  It will be a Gargoyle C too.
Colt Ward

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: 22 April 2022, 15:53:44 »
So the GDL Lance Pack will have the 3150 GDL CO's mech- a Gargoyle.  It will be a Gargoyle C too.

Interesting, where have you seen this?

Haven't read the story for a while but didn't think it was a C model he piloted?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #138 on: 22 April 2022, 16:07:46 »
It's an Omnimech.  They can change it if they want. :thumbsup:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #139 on: 22 April 2022, 16:22:58 »
Look at the GDL Lance pack- Gargoyle C, jumping Shadow Hawk (IIRC, 7H and 2H are same gun ports), Regent Prime, and a Catapult K.

And yes, as so far seen in the only novel appearance, he runs a C b/c that is all they could arrange to get the weapons for at the time.  It would be nice to see if get a long range config in his force too.  The novella cover is also behind the mechs, we will see if it looks like that when it hits the shelf.
Colt Ward

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #140 on: 22 April 2022, 16:59:26 »
Look at the GDL Lance pack- Gargoyle C, jumping Shadow Hawk (IIRC, 7H and 2H are same gun ports), Regent Prime, and a Catapult K.

And yes, as so far seen in the only novel appearance, he runs a C b/c that is all they could arrange to get the weapons for at the time.  It would be nice to see if get a long range config in his force too.  The novella cover is also behind the mechs, we will see if it looks like that when it hits the shelf.

Oh wow  :drool:

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #141 on: 22 April 2022, 17:42:04 »
Looks like Isobel got her Shadowhawk back.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #142 on: 23 April 2022, 01:36:57 »
The same unknown black/red Wolf unit that was in the art for Empire Alone is also on the cover of Redemption Rites. It appears that their specially is "dying"

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #143 on: 23 April 2022, 02:32:10 »
Well, the Marauder IIC on the cover is also interesting since that was the senior Dragoon commander standing when Alaric ordered them off the field.
Colt Ward

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #144 on: 23 April 2022, 05:41:20 »
If you examine the wrecks behind it, they've got Wolf Empire markings and that red/balck scheme

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #145 on: 11 May 2022, 02:53:57 »
Star Colonel Othar is having a happy time of it. The guy is basically a living stomach ulcer.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #146 on: 11 May 2022, 14:15:43 »
So after reading redemption rites...

I think the idea that Alaric's going to be remotely diplomatic can now be put to bed

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #147 on: 11 May 2022, 16:10:06 »
So after reading redemption rites...

I think the idea that Alaric's going to be remotely diplomatic can now be put to bed

After the way he treated the Horses, that comes as no surprise to me.
Welcome to interesting times

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #148 on: 11 May 2022, 16:28:10 »
Alaric was raised with the notion that he was born to rule by dint of legacy and genetics. Though he does not lack for work ethic and ambition, it seems that he mostly assumed that all would bow to the ilKhan and First Lord without need for diplomacy or tact. Neither did he think far enough beyond his current state.

Alaric is the dog chasing his own tail and caught it - He does not know what to do with it.

But will he learn quickly?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #149 on: 11 May 2022, 18:36:08 »
Not sure I buy that- for one he did not demand the other Clans bow the knee, he just had them on Terra to watch his ascension. 
Colt Ward