Author Topic: Battletech 3D fan models  (Read 24608 times)

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
Re: Battletech 3D fan models
« Reply #60 on: 10 December 2020, 22:46:13 »
Thunderstruck!

I've never been a big fan of Capellans, but i do have a softspot for some of their mechs

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #61 on: 10 December 2020, 22:51:07 »
That's nicely done, Juodas!  Way you did it, makes seem more proportionately right.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #62 on: 17 December 2020, 13:48:44 »
Thunderstruck!

I've never been a big fan of Capellans, but i do have a softspot for some of their mechs

Holy cow.

Someone HIRE THIS PERSON!!!!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 17 December 2020, 20:33:04 »
Or just buy the rights for those from him. (Although I think it's more complex than that?)

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 28 January 2021, 12:00:33 »
Second Capellan 'mech in a row, don't judge me. It's Helios.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2021, 12:21:58 by Juodas Varnas »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #65 on: 28 January 2021, 12:17:38 »
Hot DAMN that's beautiful!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 28 January 2021, 16:17:24 »
I am overwhelmed  by a sudden urge to have half a dozen Helios
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #67 on: 28 January 2021, 17:36:10 »
Makes me wish the stuff could be in a game.  MWO no HBS/BT has them.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 23 February 2021, 15:55:27 »
Always a pleasure to see such fine work as this. I use sketchup myself for my own sculpting, altho I’m more of a spaceship guy than ‘mech. I’ll see if I can post some of my work here later.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #69 on: 23 February 2021, 23:50:38 »
Dang! These new ones are so good! And I can see a lot of 3rd-party wargaming use for that tripod, too!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #70 on: 24 February 2021, 23:09:25 »
That Helios is really impressive.  I've sort of wanted a Helios for years but have always been turned off by the mini...

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #71 on: 29 July 2021, 20:28:30 »
Is it possible to get those STL from you Juodas? I'd love to get printed some of those Thunders...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #72 on: 02 August 2021, 10:38:13 »
Very nice work! And, I agree with your assessment of the current Wolverine.

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: 10 December 2022, 05:30:51 »
Necropost!
It's been a long time coming, but here's a new model - the Huron Warrior! Made a few extra variants for it as well, the Stealthy R4N mounting double LRM15s and 4 medium lasers and a homebrewish melee variant with a mace/tomahawk and an rotary autocannon

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #74 on: 10 December 2022, 15:39:57 »
Awesome!

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #75 on: 12 December 2022, 21:32:21 »
Excellent work.   :clap:
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Teslacoil

• Recruit
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #76 on: 13 December 2022, 06:31:56 »
You have a very good grasp on proportions. I'd say it's the most important thing to get right on a mech. Kudos to you for that. It's very difficult to fix later on without starting from scratch.

Based on what I can see, you also seem to (for the most part) make all the important joints look functional and with a wide enough range of motion. Range of motion is very important if you're ever interested in doing animation or just more extreme poses. A lot of people don't get that right. Old TRO art is very guilty of this for example.  xp

Some ideas for future reference:

Based on how you detail your mechs, you either rely heavily on the old TRO art style for ideas, or you just go through the typical growth stages of a mech artist. (We were all guilty of it at some point. No shame in that.)

You should try and not greeble just for the sake of it and try to not limit your medium level detailing to just their underlying surface. What I mean by this is that breaking up your basic forms with medium scale detail work that flows over corners and edges is good. The less your underlying structure can be identified as a box, cylinder or sphere, the better. I hope I'm explaining this coherently.

Picture for aid:

You're almost about to make that transition. I can see it.

Personally I try to limit my detailing by following a few rules (and this is just my personal taste so take it or leave it):
1. Is the surface supposed to be heavily armored? If yes, then it probably should have very little detailing. I like to put most of my detail work somewhere "safe", ie not likely to get shot at. Big clean surfaces are not necessarily bad. A little bit here and there to keep it interesting is just perfection to me.
2. Does it have a purpose? The reason can sometimes just be "it looks good", but I try to come up with some kind of function to it. I often think about what's under the surface I'm modeling. Military things rarely have anything superfluous. Form and function go hand in hand.
3. How would this thing be put together? Thinking about how all the pieces come together from a manufacturing standpoint tells you where all the seams, hatches, ridges, bolts etc should be.

I think your Brigand is very close to what I'd make, following the above philosophy.

You've got talent for this. Keep practicing!  :thumbsup:

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 07 January 2023, 21:44:07 »
just saw this thread ..

Love that hornet! ... kind of cute!
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #78 on: 15 June 2023, 00:24:15 »
It's been a while, but i've been working on a thing for quite some time now and i think i'm finally done with it.
It's a Homebrew Periphery-made Land-Air Mech, the Robber Baron.

My headcanon fluff behind is that in an alternate timeline where LAMs didn't crash face-first into extinction and instead became a mainstay in the universe as a whole to the point that even minor Periphery powers could take a crack at creating their own LAMs.
That's how i think the Robber Baron came to be, as a rather shameless knockoff of the more technologically advanced Stinger and Wasp LAM, equipped with a more conventional fusion powered turboprop instead of the usual aerospace fighter thrusters, making it incapable of working outside of atmosphere, but not having its range limited by needing to carry aerospace fuel on board and simply using its Mech-grade fusion engine to power its propeller.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 15 June 2023, 05:28:36 »
that is very cool.

could the legs be a bit thicker, which in turn would make the fuselage a bit larger too?

Nebula California is calling you!
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #80 on: 15 June 2023, 14:10:11 »
Amazing work, it looked like it took a lot of hours to make.
I think that all the proportions are good enough, it kinda shows off the fragility that is inherent with LAMs.
The only improvement that I can think of is for making the Fighter-mode even more aerodynamic, but that would take an unreasonable amount of time.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #81 on: 15 June 2023, 16:27:19 »
This is amazing! If I had any suggestions, I might push for a F4U vibe. I think a little bend in the wings would add something. But I come from a USMC family.

https://www.si.edu/object/vought-f4u-1d-corsair%3Anasm_A19610124000#:~:text=50%20caliber%20machine%20guns.,the%20cockpit%20and%20the%20engine.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #82 on: 15 June 2023, 17:34:02 »
Nebula California is calling you!

Plenty of room there, I hear. ;)

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #83 on: 15 June 2023, 18:32:58 »
Indeed!  Nice work!  :thumbsup:

Orkdung

• Recruit
« Reply #84 on: 16 November 2023, 19:17:23 »
Second Capellan 'mech in a row, don't judge me. It's Helios.

Absolutely EXQUSITE!!! Well done!!!

Orkdung

• Recruit
« Reply #85 on: 16 November 2023, 19:19:26 »
Any more in the works Juodas?   Though I hate the Fed Suns a Legionnaire would be a cool addition.

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #86 on: 17 November 2023, 16:26:42 »
Any more in the works Juodas?   Though I hate the Fed Suns a Legionnaire would be a cool addition.
Nothing at the moment. With my full-time job, i have pretty much 0 time for hobbying or arts nowadays.
Hopefully i'll either get fired or some vacations soon

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #87 on: 07 December 2023, 14:02:21 »
Hopefully i'll either get fired or some vacations soon

LoL
I can relate.

Register