Author Topic: "Advanced" Infantry Platoon construction?  (Read 1543 times)

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
"Advanced" Infantry Platoon construction?
« on: 11 January 2013, 08:28:46 »
While fooling around with trying to replicate WWII platoon structures, I quickly found that the Techmanual rules are a bit inadequate for that purpose. Has anyone tinkered with a more squad based system? I realise that unarmored infantry have never been the focus on Battletech, but if everything else can get increased complexity rules...

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
Re: "Advanced" Infantry Platoon construction?
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2013, 05:16:21 »
Well, the system that I use is to break the unit down into squads of between 5 and 7 (usually 7) and then I do as follows. Every trooper get their base weapon (eg. rifle). Replace 2 soldiers weapons with support weapons and the ammo for them (standard capacity). Each soldier gets a backup weapon. This can be: 1 pistol, 1 LAW/other disposable, 1 Satchel/demo charge, 1 reload for the support weapon, 1 underbarrel weapon.

In combat, total up the non-support weapons damage. Make one attack for this damage. Each support weapon makes it's separate attack. For damage, I use the equivalent BA weapon range damage. Keep track of ammo.

When a squad is hit, roll 1d6 for each squad member, lowest one is hit. If the lowest is a tie, both are hit. Do this for each point of personnel damage.

If you want a more detailed system, I use the squad sheets from the back of AToW. Green soldiers have 4 BOD, Regular have 5, Vet's have 6 and Elites 7. Adjust up or down by 1 depending on the unit (DEST teams may have 1 higher, Millitia 1 lower, for eg.). Vehicle weapons do 4 time their base damage, with an AP equal to that damage, maxing out at 10. For example, a Med Laser is a 10e/20 attack. Now, when rolling for who gets hit, a 1 is a direct hit, full damage. Divide the damage by 4 for every point above that.

So a Med Laser looks like this:

1 - 10e/20
2 - 5e/5
3 - 1e/1
4 or above nothing.

An AC 20 looks like this:

1 - 10x/80
2 - 10x/20
3 - 5x/5
4 - 1x/1
5 or above nothing.

Roll once per weapon per soldier, armor applies as normal to this damage. The modifiers to this roll are:

-1 Being in a clear hex
+1 for light woods
+2 for heavy woods
+3 for Ultra-Heavy woods
+1 Dug in Hex

+1 for light building
+2 for med Building
+3 for heavy Building
+4 for Hardended  Building

-1 for 1d6 burst weapon (light MG)
-2 for 2d6 burst weapon (MG)
-3 for 3d6 burst weapon (Heavy MG)
-4 for 4d6 burst weapon (Flamer)

-1 per 3 MOS direct hit rules (if being used)
+1 Glancing Blow (if being used)

+1 for Taking Cover
+1 for Elite troops

A natural roll of 1 is always a direct hit (full damage), a natural 6 is always a Miss, both regardless of modifiers.

Troops have 1 action if they're green, 2 for regular, 3 for veteran and above. With 1 action they can: Move, Take Cover, Fire. The Move action may be taken up to twice.

These are just the rules that my group uses, hope you like!

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Register