Author Topic: Wolverine-7R  (Read 1595 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Wolverine-7R
« on: 20 October 2019, 17:03:59 »
So a while back there was a rules clarification that MASC was actually a field grade upgrade,  C or D,  I forget.
    But I had always considered it E like TSM since it dealt with Myomers.

It got me thinking about mechs to add MASC too but didn't do much else.

The other day I got to thinking of the 55 ton trio & the idea of MASC came back up again.

One of the other things about the 55 ton trio is they all got major upgrades in 3050 but none of them got a face lift field upgrade for Refit Kits.

There were also a lot of collaboration projects going on post Outreach conference back then which resulted in manufacturers from other realms working together.

It got to thinking about the Wolverine & how both Marik & Davion put MASC on it in 3050.

Well one thing lead to another & I decided to come up with a Wolverine that was a blend of the 3025 variants but also used MASC like the 3050 models that each of the 3 factions could produce in kits for everyone in 3050.

So I give you the Wolverine-7R

Wolverine 7R
IS TW non-box set
55 tons
BV: 1,512
Cost: 6,748,906 C-bills

Movement: 5/8(10)/5
Engine: 275
Double Heat Sinks: 11 [22]
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 91
Armor: 179/185 (Ferro-Fibrous)
     Internal      Armor       
Head    3    9       
Center Torso    18    26       
Center Torso (rear)       10       
Right Torso    13    20       
Right Torso (rear)       6       
Left Torso    13    20       
Left Torso (rear)       6       
Right Arm    9    18       
Left Arm    9    18       
Right Leg    13    23       
Left Leg    13    23       

Weapons      Loc      Heat
ER Large Laser    RA    12
Medium Laser    HD    3
Streak SRM 2    LT    2
Streak SRM 2    LT    2

Ammo      Loc      Shots
Streak SRM 2 Ammo    LT    50

Equipment      Loc
Beagle Active Probe    LT
MASC    RT

I stuck with a single gun outside of the head ML like the traditional R/D models & did not add extras like the K/M, but, I did swap it out with a new ERLL for a K/M feel.

11 DHS replace the old Singles & a 1/2 ton of Armor was added while also switching over to Ferro Fibrous to bring the mech of up nearly 97% armor coverage.

The standard SRM6 pack is replaced by a pair of ammo efficient Streak Twin packs.

Finally a Beagle Active Probe & MASC were installed to improve the Wolverine's traditional role of Scout Lance Leader.

This kit can be installed in a Dropship or Repair Depot out in the field & adds significant endurance to an older mech.

Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: 20 October 2019, 17:29:05 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Wolverine-7R
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2019, 17:19:34 »
Nice!  Too bad CASE isn't a Field Refit...

Weapon-wise, the only quibble I have is that it might have been better to stick with one Streak Rack and add a Medium Laser and another DHS.  It's pretty good as is, though!  :thumbsup:

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2019, 17:27:32 »
I would agree Daryk, if I was looking for pure table top bad arseness.

But I was trying to stick closer to the some of the models it was based on & several of them only have the single guns in RA/Head with decent SRMs.

I felt like HS are good as is too since by sticking w/ Streaks & 1 ML you would be hard pressed to push this guy to overheating w/o a serious amount of good target locks & jumping w/o ever missing or having no targets inside 9 hexes.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2019, 17:31:13 »
I was just thinking back to the 6M, which has two Medium Lasers.  Still a nice mod!  :thumbsup:

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2019, 00:48:56 »
I was thinking about the heat curve of this variant & how its almost over sinked.

I'm considering a change to drop the 11th DHS to add a TAG as well.   (Maybe in the LA where the M model had a 2nd laser?)

Seems like a good addition to a Recon Lance CO mech.

Thoughts?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2019, 05:04:13 »
Not a bad idea at all...

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2019, 17:51:26 »
Isn't switching to DHS an engine swap?
iirc you can't switch the engine mounted ones without engine removal
But I may be horribly out of date
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2019, 19:45:58 »
StratOps, page 188 says it's a Class D Refit to change Heat Sink types, "including those integral to an engine".  It's not exactly clear, but I think an engine replacement would be Class F.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2019, 20:11:59 »
cool
figured I might be out of date :-P
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2019, 20:13:29 »
Glad I could be of service!  :thumbsup:

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2019, 23:34:07 »
Isn't switching to DHS an engine swap?
iirc you can't switch the engine mounted ones without engine removal
But I may be horribly out of date

I don't recall DHS ever being a full engine swap in any rule book.

You might be remembering the way Proto-Freezers had to be placed outside the engine?

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2019, 08:38:33 »
It was implied in TRO3050 (AFAIK no "refit kit" included DHS) but I don't think it was ever stated in a rule.

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2019, 14:24:12 »
Well eventually the Clint's 3050 upgrade had double heat sinks and it was a refit kit so I think that has been reversed.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2019, 00:10:54 »
IIRC,  Mercs Handbook 3055 had DHS as Class B back when it was just A,B,C,  & those were the original field refit kit rules.

As for 3050.  Depends on what you call a refit kit.
You can have F-Grade kits that mimic new production models that just require access to a factory to complete them.

If by "kit" you mean the mech upgrades that didn't have said mech in production at the time so it was ONLY a kit & not a Production model as well....
Then I'm inclined to agree but mostly because those were all super simple mods.... Weapon Swaps basically.   Meant as minor upgrades for mechs that had no factory support.
Except the errata that later gave some DHS.

From memory...

Javelin = Streaks
Urbanmech = LB10X/SPL
Assassin = MPL/Artemis.
Clint = ERPPC/MPL   (Errata added DHS)
Whitworth = Artemis
BlackJack = ERLL/Streaks   (Errata added DHS)
Scorpion = ERPPC   (Errata added DHS)
Catapult = Arrow
GrassHopper = ERLL/Streak
Cyclops = Gauss

None of the above mechs was in production in 3050 when it was originally printed to my knowledge.

All got basic weapon refits.

Added later for the 3050 era was the Ostroc-2D that also got a refit that included DHS.

However, it should be pointed out that there is a clear example of warriors adding DHS to create a canon RS variant that has DHS but was never approved by the maker or done at the factory in the Champion-1N2 model.  So even before TacOps it was implied that DHS could be done w/o a factory

Register