Author Topic: Tactical Challenge #13: A Taste of Perfection  (Read 2071 times)

evilauthor

• Captain
Tactical Challenge #13: A Taste of Perfection
« on: 10 July 2012, 17:26:18 »
Earl Bassett: Is this a job for an intelligent man?
Valentine McKee: Well, show me one and I'll ask him.

BRIEFING

Welcome to the planet of Perfection, Mech Commnader.

We have a mission that needs your deft touch. A local, high ranking noble named Lord Gummer has found himself stranded in the middle of the desert and we need you to go out and rescue him. Time is of the essence because the enemy has sent their own mech forces out to retrieve him. Lord Gummer is the key to controlling the planet, so extracting him alive is and keeping him out of enemy hands is paramount.

Environmental conditions are... bad. It's very hot out in that desert, enough so to impair the efficiency of our heat sinks. Worse, the fine grit of the desert sands tends to gum up exposed mechanical systems, so no supporting combat vehicles are available and even your jump jets will quickly be disabled if you try to use them.

What's more, the objective has been stranded for some time and is delirious from the heat such that he is unable to recognize friend from foe. Expect him to fire on any mechs that approach him. Luckily, he's only armed with a rifle.

And finally, you're new here. So keep be careful with the local wildlife. They apparently find mech armor tasty.

MAPS

This scenario is intended for lance to company sized mech forces. Although larger or smaller forces are possible, they're not really recommended.

The size of the battlefield is dependent on the size of the forces involved. For a lance on lance scenario, the battlefield is 3x3 standard maps in size. For company size combat, use 4x4 map size battlefield.

All the maps are largely sandy terrain and pretty much flat. There are some rocky outcroppings and islands in this sandy sea. Treat them as clusters of 1 to 3 pavement hexes that are randomly 0 to 3 elevations in height.

FACTIONS & DEPLOYMENT

Lord Gummer is on a rock island on the northernmost center map. He's armed with a rifle that has a range of 1/2/3 and will do 1 point of damage per round. He will use that rifle on any mech that gets into range and seems to have a seemingly inexhaustable supply of ammo. He will give fire priority to whatever seems immediately threatening to him, with the highest priority going to a mech carrying him from the field. If a mech drops him, he will immediately run for the nearest rock island, because...

The desert is lousy with a local lifeform known as "graboids". Graboids are large, vehicle sized worms that can tunnel through the desert sand as if it were water. Their hunting method is to attack prey from below, and locate their prey via sound. And they apparently think mechs are very tasty. There are a number of graboids wandering around the immediate area of operations equal to the number of mechs on one side.

Finally, you are in control of one of the two mech forces sent to retrieve Lord Gummer. One mech force starts in the southwest corner of the battlefield, while the other starts in the southeast corner. Mechs are randomly rolled from a desired faction's MUL, although you can specify broad categories (Light, Medium, etc etc) for each specific mech being rolled. Both mech forces have near equal BV and tech level.

SPECIAL RULES

It's hot out. All mechs present incur an automatic +2 to heat each turn.

The sand interferes with use of jump jets. Therefore, no mechs can jump even if they are equipped with jump jets.

To "rescue" Lord Gummer, a mech needs to stop and pick him up a functioning hand actuator per standard rules. If the arm holding Gummer suffers a critical damage to an actuator, Gummer will be dropped to the ground.

However, if Lord Gummer is picked up by a mech, he will proceed to exclusively attack the mech rescuing him, dealing 1 point attacks per turn.

If your initial force selection does not include a mech with hand actuators, feel free to reroll a single mech until you have one that does.

As mentioned, Graboids tunnel underneath the desert sands. They cannot however tunnel through the rock islands nor do the travel above ground. They only appear above ground to attack prey. Treat the Graboids as a 50 ton "submarine" with 4/6 movement when moving underground. While underground, Graboids cannot be hit by weapons fire, althought they can be "tracked" by the distinctive hump of sand on the surface when they're tunneling.

When Graboids attack, they must during the movement phase initially position themselves in the same hex as the unit they wish to attack at -1 elevation (ie, just under the surface). If they manage that, then during the physical attack phase, the Graboid will burst out of the ground and make a Claw attack to latch onto the target mech. If successful, they inflict 7 damage to whatever section they latched onto and effectively immobilize the target mech during the following round.

In subsequent turns, the Graboid is vulnerable to attack while latched onto the target mech. It takes 40 damage from weapons fire to kill a Graboid, but only 5 damage needs to be done to get the Graboid to let go. If forced to let go, the Graboid if it survived the damage resolution phase will go back underground and look for a different target to attack. If on the other hand the Graboid remains attached when the physical attack phase starts, they will continue to gnaw at their victim and inflict another 7 damage to the section they are latched onto.

If the section they are latched onto is destroyed, the graboid will retreat  deep underground and go inert to digest their meal. They will do no further hunting for the rest of the battle. Essentially, a successful Graboid will disappear from the battlefield.

Graboids WILL attack Lord Gummer, but by default, they will go after a mech first if they can. However, a graboid will not share a hex with another graboid, so no two graboids will go after the same target at the same time.

If at the end of turn 25 no victor has been declared, a monster Graboid some 100 tons in weight will enter the battlefield from a random direction, drawn by the ruckus. This Graboid takes 90 damage to kill, a 15 damage bite, and a tunneling speed of 5/8. Every 5 rounds after that, another such monster will appear.

VICTORY CONDITIONS

A mech force is declared victorious when one of their mechs manages to pickup Lord Gummer and successfully exit the battlefield at their respective start area.

A mech force loses if Lord Gummer dies, or their entire force is destroyed or retreats from the battlefield.

So Mech COmmander, do you think you can rescue Lord Gummer?

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
Re: Tactical Challenge #13: A Taste of Perfection
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2012, 18:47:22 »
Are graboids vulnerable to A-Pods or B-Pods?

Pegasus Actual

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2012, 19:15:18 »
I approve of the massive Tremors reference that is this scenario.

In all honesty, though, this isn't hard, just dependent on whether you get good rolls on the RAT. The targeting on the Graboids isn't clear, though. Is somebody else playing them, or do they just home in on the biggest source of vibrations per the movie? If the latter, throw some LRM fire downrange near your OpFor to distract the Graboids and have some fast lights grab Gummer. Thunder rounds are a great choice here either way, since they limit the mobility of your opponent in a scenario that's all about getting to a fixed point. If the Graboids do go after vibration, that's just icing when the mines go off.
Warhammer Faye "Cairn Wraith II" avatar by me.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2012, 19:22:18 »
Treat the Graboids as being armored.

And yes, the Graboids home in on vibration.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2012, 21:01:56 »
and now, entirely out of nowhere, i find myself wondering what heavy BA mounting vibroclaws would to the innards of one of these mudpuppies.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2012, 23:10:01 »
Well, this scenario seems easy enough.  Just get a Fire Moth or two (configuration is not important, but the H is cheap) to rush after the objective and send the rest of your forces to distract the enemy.  There is nothing in the game that will beat the little buggers there unless LAMs are in play, and once they grab him they can get out quick.  The flat terrain also works wonders for them because it makes it easy to get the most out of your MP so they will be nearly impossible to hit, and the enemy will have to be careful about shooting you on the way out to avoid hitting the objective (so no AE weapons to ignore the TMM).

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2012, 00:40:55 »
I wouldn't complicate that. I would just take the Scout lance from previous scenario, perhaps replacing Locust for another fast 'Mech with hands such as Hermes or Hussar.

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2012, 02:51:00 »
Made me think of how would a Dune Worm be done in Btech. Interesting mission.
Let Miley lick the hammers!

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2012, 04:23:19 »
Nice scenario idea. I could see the rules tweaked a bit for a whole lot of different movie monster "bug hunts".

Questions:

1. Until a Graboid starts moving, are they treated like a hidden unit?
2. Can a Beagle/Bloodhound/etc. track them if they are stationary?
3. What is the detection range for the Graboids to sense the 'Mechs (~ to a 'Mech seismic sensor?)
4. Are the Graboids using the Punch Table ala a BattleMech Claw, or am I being too literal?

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2012, 08:18:56 »
Nice scenario idea. I could see the rules tweaked a bit for a whole lot of different movie monster "bug hunts".

Questions:

1. Until a Graboid starts moving, are they treated like a hidden unit?

I didn't want to complicate things with hidden unit rules, but yes, if you're playing double blind, Graboids count as hidden when underground.

2. Can a Beagle/Bloodhound/etc. track them if they are stationary?

I'm inclined to say no because the sensors don't know what to look for, but if your forces have been on this planet for any amount of time (and they should have been), then Graboids should already have been programmed into your threat profiles.

Although for an optional rule set, you can say both sides are new to the world and don't have updated threat profiles.

3. What is the detection range for the Graboids to sense the 'Mechs (~ to a 'Mech seismic sensor?)

1 map (18 hexes?). Although I'm tempted to make it longer since I put in the mechanic about monster Graboids coming from off the battlefield.

4. Are the Graboids using the Punch Table ala a BattleMech Claw, or am I being too literal?

After some thought, they should be using the kick table. Recall, they're attacking from one level BELOW the mech. And when punching a mech from one level below, you use the kick table IIRC.

Of course, once the Graboid has latched onto a mech, they're above ground on the same level of the mech and can thus be shot at.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2012, 10:07:55 »
My first thought is just to say SPEED! and take something like two lances of Locust 6Ms, and another lance of something else fast that actualy has a few guns to cover them, and just run like hell.  If you alternate turns on the MASC, you can average 24.5 hexes per turn (though with Locusts to spare, you can push it a bit harder than usual on the way in) so you'll be in the center of the map, and with enough MP to climb onto the rock, on the second turn.  There after, its two turns to the map edge.

Even a Fire Moth can cover only 35 hexes in two turns, so given the need to cross two maps and climb the rocks, it would take three turns for the Fire Moths to make the pick up, though they would be in range to shoot the Locusts on the second turn.  If there were Fire Moths, or something like them that could get close (Fireball, Hermes, Meurcury), you might send the second lance as spoilers.

With random rolls, its a bit harder.  But, in 3085, FWL has the 6M in the 13 spot, so for a C rated unit its in the 7 spot, and you've got a 28% chance to get it on each roll.  For an independant world, there are also chances for Hermeses at 12 and 15, so you've got a few shots at ultra fast lights, and over the course of a company you should tend to get about a lance of such mechs.  Any Spiders, Terantulas, Owenses and other fast but not ultra fast mechs go into another supporting lance, and any slow mechs go into a third lance that holds the door open against the enemy company.  The 5th Marik Protectors are C rated, Regular troops, who have trained in raiding opperations, and would be a good choice here.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2012, 16:41:48 »
I didn't want to complicate things with hidden unit rules, but yes, if you're playing double blind, Graboids count as hidden when underground.

No worries. I was already kinda messing around with the idea of adapting the scenario for a homage to Aliens with the Beagle/etc.
being a stand-in for the motion detector. Just to make the local group glad they have one for a change.  }:)

After some thought, they should be using the kick table.

That was my first guess, but I wasn't sure of how dangerous you wanted to make the little buggers.

AJC46

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2012, 21:30:27 »
while you said no jump jets what about the Mechanical Jump Booster system?

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2012, 22:20:22 »
while you said no jump jets what about the Mechanical Jump Booster system?

I suppose that can jump. But what canon mech on a MUL comes with those?

Register