Author Topic: MechWarrior: Destiny  (Read 128268 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: MechWarrior: Destiny
« Reply #90 on: 26 July 2019, 19:25:12 »
I think part of the issue is the RPG has always been a distant secondary priority. And in all fairness it probably does appeal to a small section of the player base.

I was about to say the same thing. The best the rpg had for supplements were the Mech Warrior’s guide to X at the end of the fasa run. It’s never going to get the proper treatment to be successful as an independent rpg

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #91 on: 26 July 2019, 19:32:11 »
I was about to say the same thing. The best the rpg had for supplements were the Mech Warrior’s guide to X at the end of the fasa run. It’s never going to get the proper treatment to be successful as an independent rpg

I agree, but I always ran it in conjunction with the table top for the mech battles. It added so much as opposed to just pushing minis around.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #92 on: 27 July 2019, 02:00:46 »
Which is unfortunate, because to me it's one of the most compelling RPG universes around.  There's years of fun there, thanks to the setting.

the inner sphere is probably the only setting where you can tackle any topic from multiple angles, without having to uproot any of the established cultural materials just by skipping from one world to another. i could have a serious adventure that involves reflection on what makes slaving/rape/enthosupremicy* evil, spin from that into some 80s-flavor villain of the week schmaltz*, then carry into some lighthearted fun around town shopping/catching a petty mugger and not have anything in the universe be altered in any way i need to keep track of. imagine the pain of having to sit on it through 5+ years teaching new players how to run an RPG because it was too steep of a learning curve....

*how did i spell that right in the first try?
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

fever_Dream.)

• Private
« Reply #93 on: 27 July 2019, 17:54:19 »
Currently I'm running two games on roll20.  Most of the characters aren't MechWarriors.  Clan laborers in one, Inner Sphere hucksters in another.  So there is only one thing I want to know:

Will I be able to recreate all the awesomeness of Fritz von Vilder, Hanseatic accountant, and not feel pressured into being a MechWarrior?   :D

Verloren Hoop

• Sergeant
  • Forlorn Hope
« Reply #94 on: 27 July 2019, 20:58:33 »
That's what killed it for me. When it becomes near-mandatory to keep a running spreadsheet to create a character, it's not fun anymore. I have a PDF copy of AToW which I've been using as a lore reference for a home-brew I've been working on, but that homebrew (first using Mongoose Traveller's SRD as a base, but I switched over to the old D6 Star Wars engine) is on hold, because Destiny looks promising, and I'd rather throw money CGL's way when I can  :thumbsup:

I’ve been doing much the same thing—using the older RPGs and AToW for a couple of homebrews.  I jotted down a few easy notes, and last year ran a one shot using Thousand Suns: Revised (it’s a 2d12 system so not difficult to go back and forth to the hex board).  I was also toying with West End Games’ D6 Space system—would love to compare notes someday.   

Lately I’ve been playing around with using N.E.W. (From EN Publishing).  Seems like it would be a decent fit, especially with exploits mirroring some Alpha Strike abilities.   

But as soon as I saw this teaser for MW:D, I suddenly have less enthusiasm for my conversions ...

Can’t wait to see this!

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #95 on: 27 July 2019, 21:18:40 »
I'm really looking forward to seeing this and what it's going to do.  My last attempt at a campaign fizzled because of the ATOW system, especially CG.  So a new system is welcome and desired!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #96 on: 27 July 2019, 21:24:56 »
If you need help with AToW character generation, there are a few of us around who can help... just ask!

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #97 on: 28 July 2019, 00:49:57 »
Just ran three players through character creation.  It's actually not that bad and all 3 were interested in doing more than just mech battles after I ran them through it.  It's just poorly organized.

Examples:

- why have that 850 required XP you're supposed to spend be listed separately when you have to take the affiliation module?  Just make the affiliation module 1000xp and include that stuff!
- Why is figuring out you health in a side bar in the combat section instead of part of character creation?
- Why is figuring out your movement a side bar in the movement section instead of part of character creation?

I do hope the rest is better organized since it looks like I am going to be GM actual AToW sessions now.  :o
« Last Edit: 28 July 2019, 00:51:30 by DarkSpade »
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

fever_Dream.)

• Private
« Reply #98 on: 28 July 2019, 06:44:42 »
Just ran three players through character creation.  It's actually not that bad and all 3 were interested in doing more than just mech battles after I ran them through it.  It's just poorly organized.

Examples:

- why have that 850 required XP you're supposed to spend be listed separately when you have to take the affiliation module?  Just make the affiliation module 1000xp and include that stuff!
- Why is figuring out you health in a side bar in the combat section instead of part of character creation?
- Why is figuring out your movement a side bar in the movement section instead of part of character creation?

I do hope the rest is better organized since it looks like I am going to be GM actual AToW sessions now.  :o

As someone in the beta test a decade ago, I sat down and generated over 100 characters.  Most from Minor Periphery / Novo Franklin because I wanted the challenge of something forcing you to buy citizenship and buy off illiteracy if you were going to be anything more than a street thug or laborer (not that there's anything wrong with that - the time passage through jump ship travel + aging effects help build skills up slightly more rapidly if the GM is generous with your character's 'training').  If I recall, many of us in the discussion asked to just dump that little "prerequisite", especially since it's kind of buried in the text.  A sidebar with this explanation should stick out.  Also, we wondered why Clan characters got more XP to start than IS characters.  Thankfully they changed at least that.

I love AToW.  I plan to keep running with it.  Seems like a lot of love was put into the game, character creation nightmares aside.  I have hopes for Destiny that it stays within the AToW vein, fixes the weird costs like the 850 at the beginning, still gives the wide array of skills so that people aren't always encouraged to be MechWarriors.

Two phrases I tend to tell my players when making characters now:  "Are you a character who happens to know how to pilot a mech?  Or are you a mech who just has a character inside it?" and "Just because it's Star Wars doesn't mean everyone has to play a Jedi."

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #99 on: 28 July 2019, 07:12:08 »

Examples:

I suggested in one of these AToW threads that someone reorganized and streamlined the character creation for a PDF or free download to help players. Lord knows how many times my group passed around one or two books, of any system, during the making of new characters.

Now there may be no reason for it.

Still would be useful to have a easily download character PDF. Hopefully TPTB will do that for MW:D.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #100 on: 28 July 2019, 07:23:31 »
The name of the new RPG has me a little concerned.

MechWarrior: Destiny rings a little to close to Shadowrun: Anarchy for me.
So it looks way to much like a AToW simplified product and less like a clean-up of the AToW system.
Only time will tell but I am not holding my breath.

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #101 on: 28 July 2019, 08:30:22 »
But as soon as I saw this teaser for MW:D, I suddenly have less enthusiasm for my conversions ...
Same here. I had just begun homebrewing rules for character generation in MW2. Thre rest of the rules system in MW2 seems still very fine to me. I like me some light rules sets.
liber et infractus

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #102 on: 28 July 2019, 11:03:59 »
The name of the new RPG has me a little concerned.

MechWarrior: Destiny rings a little to close to Shadowrun: Anarchy for me.
So it looks way to much like a AToW simplified product and less like a clean-up of the AToW system.
Only time will tell but I am not holding my breath.

ATOW is so buggy and complicated that a proper clean up and revision would automatically create a simplified system by default.
In a way i kinda hope that this is the alpha strike to ATOW's BT. If they share elements but it has simplified mechanics, it means that the existing ATOW stats and details can still be used, and catalyst only has to include one set of info for rpg uses moving forward.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #103 on: 28 July 2019, 12:10:51 »
ATOW is so buggy and complicated that a proper clean up and revision would automatically create a simplified system by default.
In a way i kinda hope that this is the alpha strike to ATOW's BT. If they share elements but it has simplified mechanics, it means that the existing ATOW stats and details can still be used, and catalyst only has to include one set of info for rpg uses moving forward.

It would be nice if I do not have to convert my AToW character to MW:D. I always thought it a little off putting that every edition of the RPG had a different system.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #104 on: 28 July 2019, 23:20:02 »
Lately I’ve been playing around with using N.E.W. (From EN Publishing).  Seems like it would be a decent fit, especially with exploits mirroring some Alpha Strike abilities.   

Funny you should mention N.E.W., that was another one I was kicking the tires on.

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #105 on: 02 August 2019, 07:14:58 »
News from GenCon 2019: Clan Invasion backers will get to test MechWarrior: Destiny beta.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #106 on: 02 August 2019, 07:16:21 »
News from GenCon 2019: Clan Invasion KS backers will get to test MW:D beta.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #107 on: 02 August 2019, 07:18:59 »
Nice!

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Robroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #108 on: 02 August 2019, 07:30:33 »
Woo bonus.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #109 on: 02 August 2019, 07:32:54 »
Did they specify level or is it "all backers"?

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #110 on: 02 August 2019, 08:08:53 »
I heard Randal Bills said "anyone who backs", but you can listen for yourself.
https://www.facebook.com/CatalystGameLabs/videos/483648219059444/

about 54.30 minutes in.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #111 on: 02 August 2019, 10:11:06 »
Which ruleset have you planned to use in you next campaign? My players would never play AToW, so I run mine using MW2e and TW. We enjoy the campaign greatly.
That what my group uses as well.  MW2 is arguably easiest RPG system made for Battletech to deal with and my gm has modded what rough spots it does have.  MW1 was ok but it has issues.  I think alot system have them.  Unfortunately there people who don't like RPG side of it.  Having these special abilities and skills enhances stuff bit.  MegaMek has this stuff integrated in it, which i hope this MW Destiny will have something like that.   

The home brew Shadowtech campaign i was in using Shadowrun rules with Battletech was good too. I do tend like the multiple die, and exploding thing more than most systems i've played in the past.

I'm very happy someone one tried make a RPG-lite that works hand and hand with the Table top, it really expands the game.  I like forward trying it out when it's sold to the general public.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #112 on: 02 August 2019, 11:02:46 »
Destiny has no relation to ATOW. It’s a completely different system, it uses a variation of the Cue system, like Cosmic Patrol, Valiant, and Anarchy.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #113 on: 02 August 2019, 11:28:23 »
is there a way to get a taste of the cue system at minimal cost?

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #114 on: 02 August 2019, 11:29:09 »
News from GenCon 2019: Clan Invasion backers will get to test MechWarrior: Destiny beta.

Yes please!  :thumbsup:

is there a way to get a taste of the cue system at minimal cost?

Looks like this may be the way to go: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/94125/Cosmic-Patrol-Core-Rulebook
« Last Edit: 02 August 2019, 11:31:27 by Pat Payne »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #115 on: 02 August 2019, 12:32:56 »
i followed the link to the cosmic patrol site from the cgl website and it's an expired domain taken over by an electronic slot machine company  xp

there is a free rpg day QSR i'll check out first. the core rules are only $3 on the cgl store so it's not a big investment if i'm intrigued

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #116 on: 02 August 2019, 12:39:17 »
i followed the link to the cosmic patrol site from the cgl website and it's an expired domain taken over by an electronic slot machine company  xp

Well, at least it's still games, for a wildly varying (and quite possibly rigged) value of "games"  ::)
« Last Edit: 02 August 2019, 12:40:50 by Pat Payne »

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #117 on: 02 August 2019, 13:25:03 »
There are free Valiant QSRs on DrivethruRPG.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #118 on: 02 August 2019, 14:28:22 »
Yay?  If it's like Shadowrun: Anarchy, I don't know how it will be received.  I hope they maintain AToW in parallel if that happens.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #119 on: 02 August 2019, 15:03:10 »
As long as Destiny doesn't replace AToW, I'll be happy.

Register