Author Topic: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition  (Read 146401 times)

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
Re: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition
« Reply #30 on: 17 November 2019, 18:08:18 »
Quick question regarding the faction dice. When I made my selection, the different factions showed up in different colors, are those the dice colors?

If I understand you right, yes, they are, though the real dice will have a translucent base color and that doesn't really show in the preview.

==

Do we know much about the CamoSpecs document?  I assume it'll take a while to put together.  I'm just nervous about painting up a unit using an old description or image and then having it invalidated with a new one.  For a couple of examples, the 1988 Camo Specs book (https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Camo_Specs) shows a Syrtis Fusiliers unit in green and white, whereas they're more recently described as being in dark green without an accent color.  The 33rd Avalon Hussars show up as white or very light gray with black trim; they haven't been described since then, as far as I know. 

I'm considering painting up a new force as the 20th or 33rd Avalon Hussars because their history matches up well with the other units I'm working on.  The 20th is described as light gray with green and tan highlights, which doesn't work very well, imo.  The Camo Specs painted examples use an orangey tan, which makes me wonder if I can pull off a Renown Mazda 787b orange/green pattern over light gray.  It'd be a stretch.  The 33rd's image as described above is a little bland, and a little too close to a Comstar force I'd like to do someday.  And for all I know, the black secondary color is subject to change.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 17 November 2019, 18:15:50 »
If I understand you right, yes, they are, though the real dice will have a translucent base color and that doesn't really show in the preview.

==

Do we know much about the CamoSpecs document?  I assume it'll take a while to put together.  I'm just nervous about painting up a unit using an old description or image and then having it invalidated with a new one.  For a couple of examples, the 1988 Camo Specs book (https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Camo_Specs) shows a Syrtis Fusiliers unit in green and white, whereas they're more recently described as being in dark green without an accent color.  The 33rd Avalon Hussars show up as white or very light gray with black trim; they haven't been described since then, as far as I know. 

I'm considering painting up a new force as the 20th or 33rd Avalon Hussars because their history matches up well with the other units I'm working on.  The 20th is described as light gray with green and tan highlights, which doesn't work very well, imo.  The Camo Specs painted examples use an orangey tan, which makes me wonder if I can pull off a Renown Mazda 787b orange/green pattern over light gray.  It'd be a stretch.  The 33rd's image as described above is a little bland, and a little too close to a Comstar force I'd like to do someday.  And for all I know, the black secondary color is subject to change.

Just paint them in camo and they can be about any unit you want

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #32 on: 17 November 2019, 18:41:16 »
The Clan Support star (Night Gyr, Arctic Cheetah, Linebacker, Battle Cobra, Black Lanner) deserves a look. All 'Mechs listed are available to the Falcons in the Invasion era.

The Cats and Horses get all the "Clan standard" designs in the Base and Clan Heavy packs,  but are poorly represented in the others. The Cats do of course get the Huntsman, Ebon Jaguar and Kingfisher from the Clan Heavy Battle star, with the Horses technically only fielding the latter two.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #33 on: 17 November 2019, 18:45:34 »
Remember, you can always justify sticking any single mech into a unit as spoils of battle.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

mooonmagic

• Corporal
    • games i have made
« Reply #34 on: 17 November 2019, 18:53:19 »
Thanks y'all. I ended up adding the Support Star for the Falcons, the Heavy Battle Star for the Cats and Horses,  and I'm mostly using the Clan standard designs for the Horses too.

I'm most excited about the elementals?? Aside from the Fire Moth  >:D

My add-ons ended up being 260ish dollars :P

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #35 on: 17 November 2019, 20:13:19 »
I only went over my pledge be about $60, and most of that was because of shipping.  I had planned on paying the shipping out of pocket.  Just hadn't planned on an Urbie plushie. :D
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Drak4806

• Recruit
« Reply #36 on: 17 November 2019, 20:34:14 »
Did they officially confirm whether the Pledge Manager would open back up for wave 2? I've seen people talk about it

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 17 November 2019, 20:34:57 »
Have the comstar pack names/contents been sorted out yet?

They sorted it out.  Glad I checked, because they automatically changed it by name and put me for the lance I did not want.

Highlander, Black Knight, King Crab for me!  Other lance was ok, but I wanted a Highlander and a Black Knight.  To bad Flashman was not in that same pack.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2019, 20:36:37 by Wolf72 »
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #38 on: 17 November 2019, 20:36:25 »
Glad to hear it, but wanted one of each anyway...

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: 17 November 2019, 22:32:03 »
Do we know much about the CamoSpecs document?  I assume it'll take a while to put together.  I'm just nervous about painting up a unit using an old description or image and then having it invalidated with a new one. 

Snipped for space.

A couple points here; first, a newer source supersedes an older one. So Syrtis Fusiliers regiments are dark green, per FM:FS,  unless a more recent source says otherwise. Second, from what very brief and preliminary discussion has filtered down, I don't think you need to worry about your Avalon Hussar choices having their schemes overridden. They are simply too far down the totem pole to warrant attention in this project.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #40 on: 17 November 2019, 22:51:30 »
To bad Flashman was not in that same pack.

Just tell your FLGS that you buy things from that you want one of those packs . . . have to wait a bit, but its win win.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 17 November 2019, 23:58:01 »
(...)Second, from what very brief and preliminary discussion has filtered down, I don't think you need to worry about your Avalon Hussar choices having their schemes overridden.
(…)

Thanks for the info. Despite that, I’m really looking forward to a new Camo Specs document. 

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #42 on: 18 November 2019, 09:01:30 »
Damn, I couldn't resist completing the PM via the link that came in the reminder mail.

I now successfully dumped another USD 300+ into the Kickstarter. That's close to USD 1,000 in total. Well, at least I gave me a nice treat, buying the complete dice set. Although I had to let go of a bigger collection of challenge coins. It's only FedCom, Wolverine, Blood Spirit and ComStar now. Maybe I'll get a Wolf and one other later, together with a Kurita puck of dice around Christmas. I find the dice pucks abhorrently expensive, by the way.

Doesn't mean, I won't buy one every now and then, though.   ::)
liber et infractus

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #43 on: 18 November 2019, 09:08:26 »
Only $6 over my initial estimate once they sorted the Comstar Monitoring Station issue.

Not too shabby.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #44 on: 18 November 2019, 09:16:35 »
Only $6 over my initial estimate once they sorted the Comstar Monitoring Station issue.

Just checking back in.

As a proud $1 backer (but not for much longer), what was the issue there?
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #45 on: 18 November 2019, 09:20:19 »
Just checking back in.

As a proud $1 backer (but not for much longer), what was the issue there?
I think you didn't get to the addon page initially and skipped directly to confirmation and shipping.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #46 on: 18 November 2019, 10:30:49 »
I think you didn't get to the addon page initially and skipped directly to confirmation and shipping.

Ah, okay. I'm seeing that as page #2 on my pledge manager, so it seems fixed.

Now I just need to find some time to work through all this...
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #47 on: 18 November 2019, 10:48:35 »
Ah, okay. I'm seeing that as page #2 on my pledge manager, so it seems fixed.

Now I just need to find some time to work through all this...

It being a major but, they actually fixed it on a Sunday. Hadn't expected that.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 18 November 2019, 12:58:27 »
Whatever they sort out, I hope it stays with the picture/icon.  I had to do a double take and chose the one with the mechs I wanted. 

I suggest you double check your pledge, I believe they updated/fix the switched images.

Edit: and now that I'm caught up, I see you did, I'll leave this warning up for others.
« Last Edit: 18 November 2019, 13:02:29 by Insaniac99 »

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 18 November 2019, 14:17:52 »
Adding an extra star pack and a plushie (not previously budgeted) pushed me noticeably above my original pledge, but it was worth it.

Now I just need to stay away from the "modify order" button for the next couple of months.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #50 on: 18 November 2019, 14:22:01 »
Adding an extra star pack and a plushie (not previously budgeted) pushed me noticeably above my original pledge, but it was worth it.

Now I just need to stay away from the "modify order" button for the next couple of months.

Tell me about it.

Me: "Managed to cut down what I wanted so I only went $40USD over my original pledge."

Mrs WT: "Why didn't you get all the things you wanted?"

Me: "Änother $300USD, that's why ..."
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #51 on: 18 November 2019, 15:13:38 »
I want to grab another Wave 2 star but I don't have Deep Convictions about any of them. What would you get?

The Clan Heavy Star.

Being all second line, they'll work for pretty much anyone. Plus, all 5 are great looking 'Mechs. And 4 of them are great 'Mechs!

I have spoken.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #52 on: 18 November 2019, 15:26:29 »
is that an inside joke that I am not getting?

That whoever named the thread isn't a real BT fan or they'd know that BT is a product of the Blue Eyeshade Era.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #53 on: 18 November 2019, 15:29:02 »

"Is the pledge manager open yet?  I am trying to figure out what I am ordering and what the budget will be . . . "
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #54 on: 18 November 2019, 15:39:14 »

It's just a generic reference to century old accountant tropes. What's interesting is that if you think about it, green eyeshades are basically the 19th century version of gunnar glasses and mobile phone night modes.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #55 on: 18 November 2019, 16:03:41 »
Now I am going to have to find one of those green eyeshades/visors and put 'AccountanTech' on the front.
Colt Ward

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 18 November 2019, 16:06:47 »
Just tell your FLGS that you buy things from that you want one of those packs . . . have to wait a bit, but its win win.

Will check into that, may get on FB group and see about trading too.

[edit] so how long exactly will the PM be up? ... Two months is just dangerous territory and asking me to secrete some more funding into my order. ... I mean If I put in another $100, I could bump up to Star Colonel. and get all of my separate packs included.

But that is waaaay to many for me.  I don't need them.  BUT/IF it goes three months, man; I don't know if I have that kind of will power.

repeating Insaniac99 Check your Comstar Level II choices (doesn't matter if you selected one of each)
« Last Edit: 18 November 2019, 16:38:47 by Wolf72 »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #57 on: 18 November 2019, 16:11:29 »
Yeah, I am negotiating with my FLGS to pick up extra dice, coins, and I think one of the Legendary boxes they get.  Doing it by email to keep track, lol.
Colt Ward

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 18 November 2019, 16:21:32 »
[edit] so how long exactly will the PM be up? ... Two months is just dangerous territory and asking me to secrete some more funding into my order. ... I mean If I put in another $100, I could bump up to S.C. and get all of my separate packs included.

Careful with the abbreviations.  It’s pretty clear what you’re referring to, but there are three levels with “S.C.” initials. 

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 18 November 2019, 16:39:30 »
Careful with the abbreviations.  It’s pretty clear what you’re referring to, but there are three levels with “S.C.” initials.

Fixed!