Author Topic: Optimizing PDFs?  (Read 1687 times)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Optimizing PDFs?
« on: 07 January 2019, 08:50:56 »
Hello! A quick-ish question for Ray: How much of a pain in the neck would it be to optimize the PDFs before they're released?

I've run several of the Touring the Stars PDF's through Acrobat Professional 7's PDF Optimizer with "Make compatible with" set to Acrobat 7 and later. This resulted in excellent compression. Here's the details:

NameOriginal file sizeOptimized file size
Touring the Stars: Sherwood12.1MB5.06MB
Touring the Stars: Regis Roost9.6MB6.09MB
Touring the Stars: Noisel52.8MB31MB

I have limited space on my phone and this would help me tremendously. It also benefits CGL as smaller files == reduced bandwidth costs.

I also realize that this would be more work for you, hence phrasing my question "How big a pain in the neck would it be?" rather than "Can this be done?"

If it's too painful, no problem. I don't want to slow down production any more than I have to. But if you could allow me to fit more of the excellent content on my phone to read, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Mbear
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Optimizing PDFs?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2019, 12:09:43 »
In the past it’s led to compatability issues across mutiple platforms and apps. Space is much less an issue than having to troubleshoot all that, or tell customers “tough.”
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2019, 06:49:56 »
Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2019, 12:07:30 »
To clarify my off-hand comment, I’m not telling you “tough luck”—I meant that I didn’t like not being able to prioritize finding solutions for those suffering compatability issues, so the alternative of larger files was preferable to leaving those customers out in the cold.

-Ray
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2019, 06:33:39 »
To clarify my off-hand comment, I’m not telling you “tough luck”—I meant that I didn’t like not being able to prioritize finding solutions for those suffering compatability issues, so the alternative of larger files was preferable to leaving those customers out in the cold.

-Ray

I didn't take it as "tough luck." I think you have a reasonable concern and a reason for not optimizing the PDFs, and you let me know what that was.

In other words, I heard the implied "We're sorry for the inconvenience." ;)
Be the Loremaster: