Author Topic: What's Your Most Common Epic Fail?  (Read 4153 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
What's Your Most Common Epic Fail?
« on: 09 September 2019, 08:36:08 »
I'm not so much interested in hearing recounts of specific epic fails, but what seems to be the situation when Snake-eyes does pop up.

For example, I don't necessarily need to hear about how last night a Crusader with a Heavy Gauss failed a PSR, did damage to the gauss and blew itself up. (Which did happen last night to one of my buddies in a scenario for our 5th Succession War Campaign.)

Rather, I notice that almost once a game, someone succumbs to failing a PSR to keep standing from simple excessive damage, or a failed kick, due to snake-eyes.  Granted, more often than not, the dreaded double-1s come up during weapons fire, sometimes during initiative.  But, during our games, they seem to come up most often during PSRs.  More than head-shots.

And, not necessarily just to keep upright.  In that game last night, not only did a couple Mechs fall to snake-eyes, but I saw a couple subsequent seatbelt checks send a pilot into stunned territory with the double-1s.

Our games have plenty of crit chances that never fire off except once or twice, and it's usually minor.

Only under certain circumstances do Head-shots happen at a once every game rate, and thats with a certain set of dice when I'm running a particular character.  Don't know how, but Al/Ray/Eli/Mason, (whichever name he's going by under whatever campaign we got going) my plainswalker pilot, in his Warhammer, tends to score a headshot on a regular basis. Not always a kill shot, mind. Or, a headshot is scored in a game he's in. Had a threeway game where the two opposing Daishis head-capped each other.  We forced re-rolls on both and continued the game.

So, the most common fails are PSRs, and they're usually pretty epic when they happen.

Also, in our games, arm damage seems to be the most prevalent.  Makes me think the dice are trying to enforce the vision of active, dynamic defenses on the part of the targets, bringing that arm up to block the shot before returning fire.  :)

Well, that's enough regaling on my part.  So I leave the floor to the rest of you.

What are your most common epic fails. 
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
Re: What's Your Most Common Epic Fail?
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2019, 09:15:57 »
Ultra AC 5.

I love the Wolverine II.  It's a sexy beast, but I ALWAYS seem to jam the RAC on the first double shot I take with it.

Always :-(
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2019, 09:19:42 »
Failed consciousness checks at 1 or 2 hits. Especially at 1 hit it feels like they fail *way* more often than they should.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2019, 09:56:33 »
Addendum: While I'm not specifically looking for most epic fails, feel free to elaborate on a memorable moment from one of your most common epic fails.

:thumbsup:

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2019, 11:21:50 »
Going internal (but not outright destruction!) on my mech's head. It seems like half the time the cockpit gets critted out.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2019, 11:38:17 »
Game-mastering a game at GenCon where an Inner Sphere company or two Level II's took on a binary size Clan force.  The game was using Solaris VII rules.  (2.5 seconds per turn.  ER PPC 60 heat and range of what 92 inches?)
When that Nova decided to jump from point A to point B, it was the only target visible to the Inner Sphere.  The nail that sticks out gets pounded.  Well, this Nova exploded in mid air.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2019, 12:20:25 »
For me it's failing PSRs to remain standing at extremely inopportune moments, like after I've set myself up to deliver a devastating physical attack.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2019, 12:23:33 »
Missing on 5s and 6s, while incoming fire on 9s and 10s invariably hits.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2019, 12:34:32 »
crits. i definitely historically have rolled worse than the 8+ odds would indicate

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2019, 13:20:57 »
Skidding on pavement.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2019, 14:34:08 »
Attempting the perfect and engagement changing charge... and 'always' failing... badly. Always.  xp
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2019, 15:07:09 »
My biggest problem seems to be that every D6 I own has a '1' on it!

Seriously though, missing with big guns on low to-hit numbers is the bane of my existence. I love AC/20's, but I also hate them. The King Crab is pretty much a crustacean-shaped bucket of anxiety for me. If I need more than a 4 to hit, I'm going to be sweating bullets with those big guns, and even a 4 isn't going to make me feel calm. My ability to roll for 17 micro lasers and one AC/20, and to hit snake-eyes on only the big gun is depressing. This is also why I tend to favor streak missile systems: because the cluster roll is just a second chance to fail! Nothing like landing an LRM20 hit and rolling a 3 on the cluster roll. My ability to generate statistically unlikely amounts of 1's when I am rolling is legendary in my house. Thanks to this disability, while I love huge guns with tons of damage potential, I generally do better with something like an HBK-4P where one crappy roll doesn't hurt so much.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2019, 15:23:49 »
Oh, another one for me: DFAs.  I have never successfully executed a DFA.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2019, 15:33:43 »
My ability to generate statistically unlikely amounts of 1's when I am rolling is legendary in my house.

I hope you don't also play Heavy Gear or Shadow Run. Those 1s can have a very bad effect in those games, especially in large numbers. Don't want to Yahtzee 1s in Shadow Run.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2019, 15:48:59 »
Gyro crits. OK, so rolling 8+ is only about 42%, but I think I manage it about 1 in 5... In most cases I end up destroying the mech or killing the pilot if I try to get a gyro-critted mech upright!

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2019, 16:20:45 »
Thinking, “Ah Ha! Time for the big gamble.” Inevitably, that gamble results in 4 mechs who played it safe banging up on one bold idiot.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2019, 16:46:45 »
The Grasshopper and Guillotine: love them with their massed batteries of Medium Lasers. Usually end up missing 75% with them regardless of range or to hit numbers. Even when I mod them for another Medium Laser and heat sink...

Now it’s not every time: I have massed quite a lot of damage... but it’s statistically higher than it should be. Can’t wait to field two full Lances of them against an opponent and see how it does.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 09 September 2019, 17:34:30 »
MG ammo that attracts the enemy targeting reticle ... I mean it must give some sort of direct homing beacon.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 09 September 2019, 17:35:06 »
Somehow, every physical weapon has a bullseye on it.  Right at the hand.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #19 on: 09 September 2019, 18:27:59 »
Missing on 5s and 6s, while incoming fire on 9s and 10s invariably hits.
This, right here.  Weapons fire rolls are the most common, and thus the ones where I most often see deuces... ::)

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #20 on: 09 September 2019, 22:02:47 »
Rolling snake eyes when engaging MASC.... yeah, it happens. Even more so with a Hitman... with TWO MASC systems! Ugh..

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #21 on: 09 September 2019, 22:27:45 »
I will always miss withthe biggest weapon; even when it has the same range brackets as the smaller weapons.

Like if I have a Hunchback; the AC/20 is going into the dirt 4 times out of five. But I'll hit with both medium lasers and even the small laser time after time.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #22 on: 09 September 2019, 22:32:35 »
I will always miss withthe biggest weapon; even when it has the same range brackets as the smaller weapons.

Like if I have a Hunchback; the AC/20 is going into the dirt 4 times out of five. But I'll hit with both medium lasers and even the small laser time after time.

I can one up you...

Shooting with an AC 20 at a mech behind a level one hill and hitting! Then rolling a leg location hit.... Either way, I feel for ya

You are correct though, medium lasers seem to never have hitting issues, even if the target mech is behind a level one hill...

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #23 on: 09 September 2019, 23:20:52 »
One thing, and nothing else comes close initiative!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 09 September 2019, 23:33:35 »
One thing, and nothing else comes close initiative!

Seconded.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #25 on: 10 September 2019, 00:17:49 »
PSRs because of 20+ damage.  Want to see me fall?  Bring an AC/20. xp :bang:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #26 on: 10 September 2019, 00:21:29 »
I tend to miss with Warlord even when numbers are low. The one exception was when Warlord and Tomahawk mutually headcapped eachother in the opening long range salvo.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #27 on: 10 September 2019, 01:34:59 »
Failing my brain check when using performance enhancing substances (Spazz), causing my MechWarrior to flip out mid-battle and begin attacking the nearest target.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #28 on: 10 September 2019, 14:46:34 »
Missing an easy kick, then failing the subsequent PSR!
I have spoken.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 10 September 2019, 15:20:50 »
Missing an easy kick, then failing the subsequent PSR!

Been there, done that.

Of course, my opponent did that in the same attack once.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who