Author Topic: What's Your Most Common Epic Fail?  (Read 4143 times)

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Re: What's Your Most Common Epic Fail?
« Reply #30 on: 10 September 2019, 15:42:22 »
Been there, done that.

Of course, my opponent did that in the same attack once.

Ruger

Now I´m seeing two mechs trying to kick each other, both missing, and both falling down subsequently.  :D
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 10 September 2019, 16:24:24 »
Now I´m seeing two mechs trying to kick each other, both missing, and both falling down subsequently.  :D

Which is exactly what happened in this instance.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #32 on: 10 September 2019, 17:31:24 »
Failing the first roll when activating MASC.  Never fails... or rather I should say it fails every time.
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2019, 23:52:48 »
Naps after only 1 pilot hit.
Skidding on Pavement on 3 or less.
Falling after missing a kick that had a to hit of 9+.

Nothing more common. Well I suppose shooting on 7's and hitting with less than 25% of my shots. But that's selective memory. The rest REALLY don't happen that often it is just so brutal when it does.

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #34 on: 11 September 2019, 03:26:45 »
I can one up you...

Shooting with an AC 20 at a mech behind a level one hill and hitting! Then rolling a leg location hit.... Either way, I feel for ya
This rule change was something I really detested. I very much favor the "+3 and punch location" gamble of older editions. I could even live with a "choose either or before shooting" option to simulate deliberately aiming high to spare buildings and wildlife. Come to think, I might propose this as a house rule to my group.
liber et infractus

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #35 on: 11 September 2019, 03:46:13 »
I believe "aiming high" is an existing rule somewhere...

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 11 September 2019, 06:15:54 »
I believe "aiming high" is an existing rule somewhere...
Yeah, in tac ops there's a rule you can aim high to hit on to hit on the kick table (at least I think that's how it works, been a while since I read it and it's not a rule I've used) and aim left/right to alter the incoming facing.
==
So for me, I have this uncanny ability to force PSRs and pilot checks on assault mechs and have them fail them.  Somehow my dice know of my disdain for assault mechs.
Unfortunately it affects my own assault mechs as well.

There was also that time I lost my gyros 3 matches in a row.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #37 on: 11 September 2019, 06:29:50 »
I always seem to fall victim to TACs to engine hits, but never actually dying to them until all the armor is breached in that location.

It's almost always to Golden BB style stuff, too-one or two TAC engine hits, but don't get the third until the CT armor is breached.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2019, 07:11:37 by Caedis Animus »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 11 September 2019, 06:35:04 »
For me, it's not something I roll, it's how my opponents roll - namely, that all damage on a 'Mech tends to be concentrated in one leg until it's blow off, with most if not all other hit locations virtually untouched. I've had that happen to me with Stalkers three times in a row. Two got legged with only one single other location ever having received a hit, and one had something like 5 points of damage each on one arm and two torso locations when it was legged. No kicks involved. (I want to like the Stalker, but ever since I irrationally stay clear of the design.)

Beyond that, falling after missing a kick and never getting a DFA to succeed are the two most commonplace fails that spring to mind. Not truly epic, more like making me facepalm and groan.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

BoyOfSummer

• Master Sergeant
  • I'll either find a way or make one.
« Reply #39 on: 11 September 2019, 06:52:53 »
Yeah, in tac ops there's a rule you can aim high to hit on to hit on the kick table (at least I think that's how it works, been a while since I read it and it's not a rule I've used) and aim left/right to alter the incoming facing.
Called Shots, TO pg. 78/79, (TW pg. 175 for the Special 'Mech Hit Location Table).
If money could talk, it would say goodbye.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #40 on: 11 September 2019, 09:37:32 »
Been there, done that.

Of course, my opponent did that in the same attack once.

Ruger

Ah, the classic Double Banana Peel maneuver.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 11 September 2019, 11:55:07 »
And the complementary kickboxer style double shin-kick maneuver.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #42 on: 11 September 2019, 16:39:43 »
Frabby: the last time I drove a Stalker, a TAC nailed an ammo bin... bye bye Stalker...  xp

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #43 on: 14 September 2019, 11:56:55 »
Going 10+ turns without hitting anything with a Daikyu and then double tapping head shots with an ultra ac/5 on turn 11.

Sometimes epic failure leads to epic win, no?

If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #44 on: 14 September 2019, 13:26:13 »
Anyone remember their worst initiative streak? Mine stands at 16. I didn’t get to try to extend my fortune because the game ended. I was not victorious

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #45 on: 14 September 2019, 15:17:14 »
Probably 7-8 rounds.  I tend to lose the game by then if my initiative is that bad.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 14 September 2019, 16:14:22 »
Streak only ends when it doesn't matter.  When it matters again... bad dice.  BAD dice!!
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 14 September 2019, 21:00:13 »
I had 1 night gaming with mulitple units, the only 2 weapon systems that would hit even at long range were MG or SL, nothing else could hit...   :'(

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #48 on: 15 September 2019, 10:00:52 »
Probably 7-8 rounds.  I tend to lose the game by then if my initiative is that bad.

I am a master at dragging things out when I’m not playing GM/OpFor.

Which has ultimately has led me to believe that my most common epic fail is playing the game at all

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 18 September 2019, 12:45:08 »
I have a distressingly high tendency to get the short end of the stick on most rolls against me. I think I remember mentioning this before on another thread years ago, but my Mechs have a very high tendency to receive fatal headshots. Everything is fine, unit is undamaged. I get a shot which crits the enemy to a point where they're immobile. Next turn, they have no other options and they take a max range shot with am AC/20 and boom, they just got a free salvage Atlas.