Author Topic: Demolition Derby: Min-Maxed Custom Builds at <1500BV & <2500BV  (Read 983 times)

Leftovernoodles

• Corporal
I am running a custom build demolition derby game this weekend.    I was hoping to get some ideas and or builds that would be fun and over powered to have on hand as alts in case folks had trouble with the rules, tools, or didn't come up with something effective enough.

Here are the basic rules:

- Rule Level: Intro - Advanced (No Experimental)
- Any Era, Any Tech Base,
- 1x Mech < 1500 BV (First Mech)
- 1x Mech < 2500 BV (Second Mech)
- Max Damage Rules for Charges

Thoughts of even links to config files would be welcome.   Thanks.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
Re: Demolition Derby: Min-Maxed Custom Builds at <1500BV & <2500BV
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2019, 08:37:34 »
I assume a Mod will move this thread, but to answer the question as best I can, you can get OP in 4 steps (not necessarily in order):

1.  Maximize armor
2.  Add Clan Pulse Lasers
3.  Add Clan targeting computer
4.  Add Clan double heat sinks
Optional is Clan ferro-fibrous armor or the light weight internal structure (can't remember the name).

Then turn on some dubstep and watch the lightshow. 

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2019, 10:04:01 »
I assume a Mod will move this thread, but to answer the question as best I can, you can get OP in 4 steps (not necessarily in order):

1.  Maximize armor
2.  Add Clan Pulse Lasers
3.  Add Clan targeting computer
4.  Add Clan double heat sinks
Optional is Clan ferro-fibrous armor or the light weight internal structure (can't remember the name).

Then turn on some dubstep and watch the lightshow.

This makes me think that laser reflective armor would be a good idea on most OP/munch designs as a counter to standard munch designs.

This is coming from a guy who made a 100 ton quad with improved jumps jets, TSM and the armor/weapons configured backwards so that I could land super mule kicks.

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2019, 11:49:55 »
That's a fair point, however in the end it seemed that these builds would be for the game master to bring in case others didn't bring anything.  I'm also going off the assumption that the game master said the other players didn't know the rules as well, and don't seem to be aware of what is being brought to the table.  Since that seems to be the case, I would say that lightshow spam with targeting computers is about as OP as you can get. 

I don't Munchkin Battletech too much, and usually stick to stock designs unless in a campaign that allows me to purchase equipment or field salvage; but the Targeting Computer + Pulse Laser spam is the cheesiest of the cheese builds from what I have heard.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2019, 00:24:42 »
Is the GM going to allow equipment that started as experimental but moved to advanced?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2019, 00:40:27 »
2500 BV is a stock Mad Dog. You are going to struggle to get real muchkin tech.

Leftovernoodles

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2019, 09:24:43 »
Is the GM going to allow equipment that started as experimental but moved to advanced?

Yes, but then it's case by case.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2019, 12:32:21 »
Stealth Armor to degrade long range weapons accuracy.  Stealth Armor on a fast AC/20 build that gets up the other player's nose in 2 turns.

TSM to maintain mobility while being more aggressive on the heat curve. Plan your salvo pattern to go as high as +13 on the heat, and you'll still be moving around normally. 
Is Tac Ops variable damage from energy weapons (pg 102) in play?

This makes me think that laser reflective armor would be a good idea on most OP/munch designs as a counter to standard munch designs.

This is coming from a guy who made a 100 ton quad with improved jumps jets, TSM and the armor/weapons configured backwards so that I could land super mule kicks.
I think Church14 is right about reflective armor.  The table will be lousy with the stuff if the GM allows it. Seems like a good time to bring a melee build or two.  As much as the idea of 35 tonner with TSM and a mace bashing a 100 tonner's virgin reflective armor makes me giggle, this might not be the best time to use TSM.  Pending GM approval, go with supercharger, EI, and AES in the arm and legs. EI + AES will take care of +2 To Hit from the mace and also deal with the +2 PSR from a miss.   Or go TSM, supercharger, and EI.  All things to make players with reflective armor nervous. :-)

Other ideas, bring ALL the Streak SRM 6.  If you can put more than 6 Streak 6's on a mech, the target better get real familiar with TAC/floating crit tables. Pair 6+ Streak 6's with good hole puncher, cERPPC :smirk: and you have a monster that will eat anything within 8 hexes for lunch.   You could probably get similar results with iATMs, but even the Turkina Z firing HE missiles generates only 29 hit locations.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Register