Author Topic: Vehicle crews  (Read 4147 times)

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
Vehicle crews
« on: 26 September 2019, 15:59:58 »
Is there anywhere that lists the number of crew for vehicles? Like the Striker for example.

Brakiel

• Master Sergeant
Re: Vehicle crews
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2019, 16:11:20 »
IIRC, isn't it minimum 1 per 15 tons of vehicle?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2019, 16:35:18 »
Yes, that is the rule from Tech Manual.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2019, 18:00:20 »
Thanks guys

BloodRose

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2019, 19:14:56 »
Obvious numbers. A tank typically has a Driver, Commander and Gunner plus one extra Gunner per weapon in another location. Some may have loaders.

Example:

A Scorpion has a Commander, Driver, Gunner for the turret gun, Gunner for the hull and maybe one Loader (4 or 5)

For some with missile based weapons you can assume that at least one system is slaved to the Commanders FC station

Example:

A Marsden has a Commander, Driver, Loader, Gunner but the hull SRM racks may operated by the Commander for a crew of 4.
>MOC - 3rd Canopian Fusiliers         >Capellan Confederation - Holdfast Guard
>Lyrians - 5th Donegal Guard          >Free Worlds League - 1st Oriente Hussars
>Federated Suns - 2nd NAIS           >Word of Blake/Comstar - undecided unit
>Draconis Combine - 1st Genyosha  >Clan Jade Falcon - Delta Galaxy
>Escorpion Imperio - Seeker Cluster >Pirates - Harlocks Marauders
>Mercs - Roses Heavy Lancers          >Mercs - Reinhold's Raiders
>Mercs/specops - Mausers Shreckenkorps >Mercs - Idol Squadron

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2019, 19:22:34 »
Obvious numbers.

After reading a lot of WWII and modern material I don't ever want to assume what a standard crew is :-)

Besides, those details are what narratives are borne from.

BloodRose

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2019, 19:24:45 »
After reading a lot of WWII and modern material I don't ever want to assume what a standard crew is :-)

Besides, those details are what narratives are borne from.

We do not talk about French tanks and the abomination that was their crew layout.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2019, 20:03:51 »
We do not talk about French tanks and the abomination that was their crew layout.
American M3 Medium*KOFFKOFFKOFF*

Which probably looks a lot like the Behemoth on the inside...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

BloodRose

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2019, 20:08:23 »
American M3 Medium*KOFFKOFFKOFF*

Which probably looks a lot like the Behemoth on the inside...
Thats an odd way to spell "Coffin for Seven Brothers"

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2019, 20:45:01 »
I've seen numbers be as low as 2, but generally no less, since the driver can't really handle the turret and the actual hull at the same time. You can have more, obviously (T-35 comes to mind). Modern tanks managed to get down to 2, but quite a few modern tanks don't have an autoloader, and require at least 3-4 people.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2019, 20:58:37 »
I think that the numbers also depend on the tech level of the vehicle and any electronic upgrades that it has had. 3025 era vehicles might have required more crew and vehicles with upgraded electronics or versions built post-Clan may have either needed fewer crew or been more responsive and effective with the same number

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2019, 20:59:48 »

Italian tanks had the same issues. Russian early tanks with hand crank turret traverse.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2019, 21:15:19 »
This is something that has always bemused me about BT - especially as a former APC crew commander.
Take the Alacorn Mk VI for example. At 95 tonnes, it should have a crew of 7 based on the rules.
But this beasty is armed with just three Gauss Rifles.
So, there is a crew commander, a driver, a gunner and maybe an assistant gunner/loader.
What the hell are the other three doing? Providing back rubs for the main crew? Handing up shells?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 26 September 2019, 21:36:20 »
This is something that has always bemused me about BT - especially as a former APC crew commander.
Take the Alacorn Mk VI for example. At 95 tonnes, it should have a crew of 7 based on the rules.
So, there is a crew commander, a driver, a gunner and maybe an assistant gunner/loader.
What the hell are the other three doing? Providing back rubs for the main crew? Handing up shells?

lubricating the mechanisms with little squeeze bottles...
re-fastening the drives after each shot.
re-inputting the targeting system's software after each EMP from the main guns.
re-attaching the internal mechanisms after (and during) movement...
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2019, 21:49:41 »

Maybe the crew includes support staff?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2019, 23:06:04 »
Maybe the crew includes support staff?

Which is what someone threw out . . . considering a vehicle's crew does most the maintenance and should not not the tech support like a mech, ASF, Small Craft or even BA . . . yeah.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 26 September 2019, 23:23:15 »
It's an Alacorn.  They maintain the track tension gauges (aka drink the beer).
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #17 on: 26 September 2019, 23:36:08 »
It's my understanding that the main elements of military experience in the early creators/players of BattleTech was naval aviation. So fighter pilots and carrier crews provided a lot of the military paradigms in the early work.

And, according to all the PBI or trackheads I've talked to, it shows ... :wheelchair:
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #18 on: 27 September 2019, 01:41:25 »
I really don't understand what's so confusing about the Alacorn. Every one of them comes with your standard seven-crew assault tank complement: commander, driver, gunner, concierge, masseur, sous-chef and DJ. This is just basic army stuff, guys. Come on.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 27 September 2019, 02:34:59 »

Dang it I was going to say that!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #20 on: 27 September 2019, 02:41:41 »
This is clearly a thing where fluff and rules tends to be VERY separate things. Using the Alicorn as an example, its 7 man crew requirement is absurd and it would probably have a 4 man crew

Commander
Gunner
Driver
'loader' (its probably got autoloaders and there's not some poor sod hefting rounds into breeches, and the loader's job is to keep an eye on the loading system and weapons as a whole, and probably doubles as the radio man).

Something like the Scorpion light tank would probably have a 3 man crew. Driver, Commander, Gunner, older or lower tech versions might throw a loader in there if the gun's like a modern tank gun and needs someone to hump and dump shells into breeches. Otherwise its an autoloader and the bow MG's probably aimed/fired remotely by the commander or driver.

In my upcoming Hell's Horses book I said that even their largest tank a 95 tonner has a crew of five

Commander
Gunner
Driver
'loader'
and DSO or Defence Systems Operator and he's the guy/gal who operates the defensive weapons and doubles as a radio man.

A hovercraft like the Epona would probably have a 2 man crew, and so on and so forth. The whole 1 crew per 15 tons is bonkers but its just a rules abstraction. Stuff like remote weapon systems and the like were pretty much a pipe dream and 'sci-fi' when the rules for Btech were written in the late 70's early 80s but even with the 1st and 2nd Succession Wars, we'd not loose the ability to make those, sure you might have more bulky systems and now we need to cram another crew into the hull who's sole job is to direct and fire the SRM-2 and MG's but its still done remotely. Not by some bod physically firing the weapon.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2019, 02:47:02 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 27 September 2019, 03:27:25 »
That's twice now someone has said the Scorpion should have a crew of 3.  By the rules, it's 2...

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 27 September 2019, 03:33:59 »
That's twice now someone has said the Scorpion should have a crew of 3.  By the rules, it's 2...
the third is  the obligatory hype man, no one goes out into the field without one. ;)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 27 September 2019, 05:38:03 »

Two man crews in a tank are really inefficient as it puts waaaaaay too much of a workload on the Commander who would also be the gunner. Plus visually it looks more than big enough for 3 men. Here real world knowledge and experience is bleeding in.

If a Scorpion had a turret like say

Then yeah I'd be more inclined to say it was a 2 man crew but even then you'd really need 3  as the Commander shouldn't do anything but command/direct his/her tank. And the Mobile gun system above has a 3 man crew, all in the hull. 2 Man crews are generally really a bad idea for a combat vehicle outside of VERY small ones or helicopters.  On a hovercraft like say the Epona they probably have a 2-man crew (mainly due to size constraints how the hell could you fit more than 2 blokes into here -

And in this set up the roles are obviously more split

The Commander would also be the driver, and the gunner would do that and probably be the radio operator. With a 2 man crew and their high speed they'd really operate more like a modern attack helicopter than anything resembling how tanks operate.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2019, 05:43:25 by marauder648 »

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 27 September 2019, 08:57:29 »
Two man crews are not unheard of for APCs - crew commander/gunner and driver.

It's my understanding that the main elements of military experience in the early creators/players of BattleTech was naval aviation. So fighter pilots and carrier crews provided a lot of the military paradigms in the early work.

And, according to all the PBI or trackheads I've talked to, it shows ... :wheelchair:

This certainly shows in how Mech companies, etc are structured like fighter squadrons and not tank squadrons.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 27 September 2019, 09:42:34 »
Two man crews are not unheard of for APCs - crew commander/gunner and driver.

This certainly shows in how Mech companies, etc are structured like fighter squadrons and not tank squadrons.

Oh indeed RE APC's 2 men is fine, the gunner's usually the vehicle commander anyhow and he's just firing a HMG or something or one of the bods in the back is. But for a fighting vehicle you ideally need 3 to free up the Commander from doing stuff  that's not commanding/directing the vehicle.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #26 on: 27 September 2019, 09:56:51 »
Yeah, the difference is the APC is for moving people in a protected manner & avoid contact with heavier vehicles while the tank is to go after other vehicles.  For instance, the Stryker MGS or ATGM versions just have the 2 crew . . . and has problems firing on the move.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #27 on: 27 September 2019, 10:09:15 »

Chief cook and bottle-washer, assistant cook and bottle-washer, and embedded journalist and/or comic book artist.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #28 on: 27 September 2019, 11:29:16 »

R O F L M A O !!!

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 27 September 2019, 13:20:16 »
actually you need always about the double number of people for:

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #30 on: 27 September 2019, 13:55:17 »
I really don't understand what's so confusing about the Alacorn. Every one of them comes with your standard seven-crew assault tank complement: commander, driver, gunner, concierge, masseur, sous-chef and DJ. This is just basic army stuff, guys. Come on.

How sure are we that this so-called "Alacorn" is an "assault tank," and not an infantry squad trying to get away with carrying a third support weapon?

This rule is from 1997 though, not the early creators/players.

Might exist only on paper, as an abstraction of higher pay and better multi-target capability. Or could be a full second crew to keep the tank in the field more.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 27 September 2019, 14:34:14 »

I swear I heard a similar anecdote in a documentary, somewhere but damn if I can remember what it was.  Nobody around here seems to have heard the story before either.  That's annoying. 
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #32 on: 27 September 2019, 14:44:45 »
What the hell are the other three doing?

Kind of reminds me of something the Nestor said in "Battle Beyond the Stars" = "We always carry a spare..."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #33 on: 27 September 2019, 14:58:44 »
grimlock, probably something from Vietnam but I cannot find it.
Colt Ward

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 27 September 2019, 17:55:08 »
I thought 1/15 was more of a recommendation and you could drop a few for fluff reasons if you needed?

Could be from reading to much board material though.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 27 September 2019, 18:42:19 »
As I recall, every combat vehicle has a "rumble seat" these days, so you could certainly stuff a third person in there if you wanted to...

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 27 September 2019, 20:16:01 »
As I recall, every combat vehicle has a "rumble seat" these days, so you could certainly stuff a third person in there if you wanted to...
Isn't the "rumble seat" generally considered to be the commanders chair?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 27 September 2019, 20:23:46 »
That's probably why it's the only seat that allows one to comfortably sit with half their body outside the armor...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #38 on: 27 September 2019, 20:24:49 »
If you’re not outside the tank how are you supposed to hit the target with your sword?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 27 September 2019, 20:29:34 »
 ;D

BloodRose

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 28 September 2019, 13:19:02 »
ON a side note, I should mention something from the Demolishers fluff
"The number of crew in a Demolisher varies. Sometimes there is a Commander, a driver, two Gunners (what), two Loaders, and one Communications/Engineer man. ~~~ The number of crew members depends on when the tank was produced."
Personally I always fluff 5 or 6, Commander, Driver, Gunner, Loader, Loader, and maybe Assistant Driver. MG variants get 2 extra crew to work the pd weapons.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: 28 September 2019, 13:47:08 »
Personally I always fluff 5 or 6

That must cause a lot of chaffing.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 28 September 2019, 14:17:54 »
That's funny on too many levels to be legal in most states!  ;D

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #43 on: 01 October 2019, 12:28:42 »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)