Author Topic: Naval Pictures X: Underway on Nuclear Power  (Read 23606 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Naval Pictures X: Underway on Nuclear Power
« Reply #420 on: 13 May 2024, 20:14:33 »
Last week the Chinese's newest aircraft carrier, Fujian (CV-18) went on sea trial.

Now for everyone's favorite game . . . who can spot the Seawolf!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #421 on: 13 May 2024, 21:59:03 »
Underneath getting the hull shots of course
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #422 on: 14 May 2024, 08:16:14 »
The problem I'm seeing in the Fujian images, is maybe not a problem...but I suspect it is, and I suspect it's not a good sign.

Where's the ready aircraft?  Those decks are too 'clean', she's not ready for action.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #423 on: 14 May 2024, 08:34:36 »
The problem I'm seeing in the Fujian images, is maybe not a problem...but I suspect it is, and I suspect it's not a good sign.

Where's the ready aircraft?  Those decks are too 'clean', she's not ready for action.

It's first sea trials. They haven't even installed the arrestor cables yet.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2024, 09:51:01 by chanman »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #424 on: 15 May 2024, 17:31:03 »
It's first sea trials. They haven't even installed the arrestor cables yet.

so they're trialling a floating mockup?  Engine technology and how to seal a hull should be pretty much understood already, it's not like China doesn't build big ships, they're letting it out of the yard without its teeth.

seems...irresponsible to me, esp. isnce one of the FIRST things you're going to want to know about your new Aircraft Carrier, is whether or not it will actually function like an Aircraft Carrier-aka whether the arrestor gear works, deck can take the pounding, catapults function, and what flight ops are doing to the carrier's weight and balance for navigation and 'not tipping over' testing.

dunno, maybe I'm totally off-base here, but 'Sea Trials' to me reads as testing whether or not a given ship can perform the basic functions it was designed to perform, particularly outside of dock.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #425 on: 15 May 2024, 17:46:21 »
so they're trialling a floating mockup?  Engine technology and how to seal a hull should be pretty much understood already, it's not like China doesn't build big ships, they're letting it out of the yard without its teeth.

seems...irresponsible to me, esp. isnce one of the FIRST things you're going to want to know about your new Aircraft Carrier, is whether or not it will actually function like an Aircraft Carrier-aka whether the arrestor gear works, deck can take the pounding, catapults function, and what flight ops are doing to the carrier's weight and balance for navigation and 'not tipping over' testing.

dunno, maybe I'm totally off-base here, but 'Sea Trials' to me reads as testing whether or not a given ship can perform the basic functions it was designed to perform, particularly outside of dock.

. . . yeah, and you determine it's real vs projected stats.  It is a pretty basic part of the finishing of a ship.  After sea trials you go back and load the more complicated things to test out- in this case the ship is determined sound and now you mission test it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #426 on: 15 May 2024, 18:11:19 »

The first thing to test with a ship is if it does ship things. If anything isn't up to spec, easier to fix it at this point than after it's full of everything else. They've built plenty of big ships, but Fujian is the first of her design and first use of a bunch of systems. They've been spotted testing the electromagnetic cats in dock with dummy carts already.

USS America sea trials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn_68OIZPxA
USS Harry S. Truman sea trials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6314ccjYrsQ
USS Gerald R. Ford doing some high speed turns during sea trials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Aa9pQYrg0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #427 on: 15 May 2024, 18:29:44 »
If you want really fun videos, search for "shock trials"... ;)