Author Topic: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!  (Read 147790 times)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Re: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!
« Reply #90 on: 15 April 2014, 18:21:24 »
Question:
Which Liao units have faced off against Clan units?

I know the Red Lancers and St. Ives Lancers for sure.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #91 on: 15 April 2014, 18:38:45 »
Question:
Which Liao units have faced off against Clan units?

A fair number. Off the top of my head -

Red Lancers
Dynasty Guard
Warrior House Ijori
Warror House Dai Da Chi
Kingston's Rangers
1st St. Ives Lancers

I'm sure we can pull up a few more given some time....

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #92 on: 15 April 2014, 18:51:33 »
Would the units that fought against Nova Cat forces during early 3080s count?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #93 on: 15 April 2014, 19:09:32 »
I think the Harloc Raiders were on Coventry...
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #94 on: 15 April 2014, 19:16:02 »
I think the Harloc Raiders were on Coventry...

But wouldn't have actually seen combat because Victor brought the Falcons to the bargaining table.
However, te founding CO of the Raiders is mentioned as being killed by the Clans, prompting the unit to recall his son. His son, a Solaris gladiator who faced Kai Allard-Liao in Assumption of Risk.

Additionally, a lot of Cappie units faced Nova Cat troops sworn to Devlin Stone as part of Sun-Tzu's push to reclaim old Liao worlds between 3081-85. This was prior to the RAF rolling the various foreign units together

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #95 on: 15 April 2014, 21:55:07 »
A fair number. Off the top of my head -

Red Lancers
Dynasty Guard
Warrior House Ijori
Warror House Dai Da Chi
Kingston's Rangers
1st St. Ives Lancers

I'm sure we can pull up a few more given some time....

Any idea on their opponents?

Would the units that fought against Nova Cat forces during early 3080s count?

Sure!

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #96 on: 16 April 2014, 00:43:08 »
Also, include the Nova Cat units they fought in St. Ives during Sun-Tzu's use of Star League peacekeeping forces during that conflict.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #97 on: 16 April 2014, 01:34:22 »
Kingston's Rangers
1st St. Ives Lancers

The Rangers were the CC part of operation Serpent, while the Lancers took part in Bulldog, so for both, the foe were the Jaguars.
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #98 on: 16 April 2014, 01:40:51 »
The Rangers were the CC part of operation Serpent, while the Lancers took part in Bulldog, so for both, the foe were the Jaguars.

Warrior House DaiDai Chi also faced the Jaguars as part of Bulldog according to the era report that covered those years (maybe era report: 3062?)

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 16 April 2014, 14:35:05 »
Ijori fought the Steel Vipers whilst on loan to the Lyrans.

I think one of the MAC regiments took part in Bulldog as well.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #100 on: 16 April 2014, 15:32:44 »
I think one of the MAC regiments took part in Bulldog as well.

I want to say it was the 2nd, but I'm away from my sourcebooks at the moment.....

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 16 April 2014, 15:53:19 »
I want to say it was the 2nd, but I'm away from my sourcebooks at the moment.....

That's the one i was thinking of as well, but for some reason i seem to remember the 1st also had some clan mechs taken as salvage.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 16 April 2014, 16:14:33 »
There's also the Sea Fox factor- Trials of Possession in Confederation space allow any/all CCAF units to plausibly have had combat experience at least vs the Foxes.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #103 on: 20 April 2014, 21:27:28 »
No clan forces in the confederation to trial against the sea foxes.

There is a precedent for a draconis combine business pair bringing in a jade falcon to challenge a warrior merchant to trial against the sea foxes.

Trials dont make alot of sense for clan sea fox, if they are declaring trials they get a chance to take something at a possible loss of valuable warriors and war machines.

Accepting challenges from successor states is an avenue for loss and they are not honor bound to accept. Likewise declaring trials would be considered raiding.

No profit in that. Clan Sea Fox has had strained relationships with the capellans. Check the write up of the nagasawa.

At the end of the day we have all the advantages in our favor to trade with the successor states. So avoiding trials makes sense in alot of ways.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 20 April 2014, 21:42:46 »
I was under the impression that trials were a regular part of the Fox negotiation process.  That seems like the suggestion from a lot of the DA material.  In fact, your post is the first indication I've seen that the Foxes would not normally use trials against IS forces.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #105 on: 21 April 2014, 00:22:24 »
I was under the impression that trials were a regular part of the Fox negotiation process.  That seems like the suggestion from a lot of the DA material.  In fact, your post is the first indication I've seen that the Foxes would not normally use trials against IS forces.

I was under that impression as well.
Though I hardly think such matches would be to the death. More likely till one side is crippled.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #106 on: 21 April 2014, 17:59:59 »
I was under that impression as well.
Though I hardly think such matches would be to the death. More likely till one side is crippled.

Perhaps even just a ritual exchange of shots/blows to satisfy honor. And then everyone heads to the bargaining table

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 21 April 2014, 20:37:14 »
No clan forces in the confederation to trial against the sea foxes.

There is a precedent for a draconis combine business pair bringing in a jade falcon to challenge a warrior merchant to trial against the sea foxes.

Trials dont make alot of sense for clan sea fox, if they are declaring trials they get a chance to take something at a possible loss of valuable warriors and war machines.

Accepting challenges from successor states is an avenue for loss and they are not honor bound to accept. Likewise declaring trials would be considered raiding.

No profit in that. Clan Sea Fox has had strained relationships with the capellans. Check the write up of the nagasawa.

At the end of the day we have all the advantages in our favor to trade with the successor states. So avoiding trials makes sense in alot of ways.

I'm sure that 99% of the Fox merchants' transactions with IS merchants don't involve trials.  But every once in a while the Fox merchant just really wants some macguffin the IS merchant isn't willing to part with at all, or perhaps is unreasonable about a price.  The Warrior caste and Trials of possession is a trump card that a fox merchant can use as a threat to keep negotiations going.. "You just won't sell that, huh?  You suuuuuuuure you want me to come back with the warriors?"
And of course if negotiations ultimately dont' work out the ToP can go from threat to actual use as a last ditch effort to snag that macguffin.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #108 on: 21 April 2014, 20:39:53 »
Considering that "warrior-merchant" seems to be a fairly regular concept among the Shark Foxes, I doubt the negotiator would even need to leave and come back.  All he'd need is to switch hats.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #109 on: 09 May 2014, 11:35:03 »
Well, I'm wanting to try something different for early Jihad Capellan and try a C3-equipped lance. This is what I came up with:

Lao Hu -3B               1497 BV
Sha Yu -4B               1348
Firestarter Omni -D    1322
Blackjack Omni -B      1323
Fa Shih LRR x2            506

For a total of 5996 BV. I'm not really happy with teh Blackjack. I might work up a custom load for a Men Shen in its place. One thing I find off is that the -4B Sha Yu is a C3 slave unit..with stealth?!! (Yes, I know activating stealth takes it out of the network.)

All the units are available before 3065. I'm thinking of painting them up in Ma Tsu Kai colors. With their more historical bent, I can see them as at least trying out a C3 network.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #110 on: 09 May 2014, 13:30:44 »
Instead of the Blackjack have you thought about a Helios C? Still has C3 and it hits a little harder at close range than the Blackjack.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2014, 13:33:28 by THUD »

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #111 on: 09 May 2014, 13:40:26 »
(Yes, I know activating stealth takes it out of the network.)

What do you mean?  TW just says that SA only affects the nearest units in a C3 network by giving stealth maluses to the THN, not the farther units it is linked to, and that an attacking C3 ennemy unit within ECM range is cut off from the network. ;)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
« Reply #112 on: 09 May 2014, 13:58:19 »
Huh. I must have read that to mean that it cuts off all C3, including itself.

I've not played with or against Kurita/Comstar/WoB (the big networkers) so I'm kinda hazy on the details. That's why a unit with both Stealth and C3 seemed odd to me.

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #113 on: 09 May 2014, 14:00:13 »
What do you mean?  TW just says that SA only affects the nearest units in a C3 network by giving stealth maluses to the THN, not the farther units it is linked to, and that an attacking C3 ennemy unit within ECM range is cut off from the network. ;)

He means a Sha Yu with SA on will stop its own C3 from working.
I think the idea is to use the SA to close, then turn it off and use the ECM to disrupt the enemy or run it in ECCM to make sure the C3 signal gets out. The range on IS MPLs is very short, so it makes for a pretty good C3 spotter since it will be so close to engage anyway.

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
« Reply #114 on: 09 May 2014, 15:07:54 »
Ok, so I was right on what I was thinking. lol.

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #115 on: 11 June 2014, 00:03:07 »
Hello, fellow Capellans. Tragedy brought me back to the forums from my busy work schedule but I couldn't not swing by and not say howdy to those loyal to House Liao.

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
« Reply #116 on: 11 June 2014, 08:35:33 »
Howdy, Hikage!

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #117 on: 20 June 2014, 15:01:09 »
Does it sound right that the Warrior Houses maintain an infantry contingent between platoon and company strength after they restructured their organization in the 3080s after their failure in Operation Golden Fortress?  Basically it would be a mixture of those undergoing training (both basic as well as more specialized battle armor/MechWarrior training), the training cadre, their stronghold's security detail and those awaiting an opening in one of the battalions.  Those warrior houses that suffered heavy casualties would temporarily have smaller contingents while those who were fortunate enough not to would have larger.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2014, 17:53:57 by Archangel »
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #118 on: 20 June 2014, 15:32:21 »
Does it sound right that the Warrior Houses maintain an infantry contingent between platoon and company strength?
I know that ideally House Hiritsu fields a full battalion plus command lance of mechs (40 total), and a full battalion of infantry.  They were at times (often?) understrength, particularly the mech contingent, however.  In 3067 the infantry battalion was noted as including an armored support lance (which may have been LRM carriers IIRC) and two platoons of BattleArmor (although its not clear if the BA was in addition to the battalion of conventional infantry, or if they replaced two platoons in the battalion).

I think the same two battalion formation is common to the other Warrior Houses, but I admit Hiritsu is the only one I ever really did any detailed research on. 

Hope that helps!   ;)
« Last Edit: 20 June 2014, 15:35:12 by mdauben »
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #119 on: 20 June 2014, 17:52:20 »
I know that ideally House Hiritsu fields a full battalion plus command lance of mechs (40 total), and a full battalion of infantry.  They were at times (often?) understrength, particularly the mech contingent, however.  In 3067 the infantry battalion was noted as including an armored support lance (which may have been LRM carriers IIRC) and two platoons of BattleArmor (although its not clear if the BA was in addition to the battalion of conventional infantry, or if they replaced two platoons in the battalion).

I think the same two battalion formation is common to the other Warrior Houses, but I admit Hiritsu is the only one I ever really did any detailed research on. 

Hope that helps!   ;)

Sorry my bad I wasn't clear.  I was talking about after Sun-Tzu authorized the Grand Master of the Warrior Houses to restructure Warrior House organization (after the failure of Operation Golden Fortress).  In the 3080s they were reformed into two mixed battalion - one of 24 'Mechs and 48 Battle Armor and the other 12 Mechs and 96 Battle Armor.  Standard Infantry (as well as any aerospace forces) were apparently completly removed from their official combat structure.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2014, 17:57:16 by Archangel »
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.