Author Topic: Mixing onboard & offboard artillery rules  (Read 1799 times)

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
Mixing onboard & offboard artillery rules
« on: 13 February 2020, 03:15:26 »
Hi,

At the time I've writing I have not long finished playing a game of Alpha Strike (Commanders ed rules) that involved trying both offboard (Long Tom & Sniper) and onboard (Arrow IV) units.

Some discussion points came up during they day so I thought I'd share here & see if what we did conforms to the general consensus.

First a couple of things from the rules:
p151. When a unit equipped with artillery weapons is deployed on the ground map, all of its artillery attacks against other units that are both on the board and within 42 inches of the attacking weapon will be referred to as on-board artillery attacks. On-board artillery attacks deliver the damage in the same turn as the attack is made, and will adhere to standard artillery rules. Off-board artillery attacks refer to any artillery

p152. As long as the attack is not aimed at a specific unit, however, none of the normal weapon attack modifiers for range bracket, target’s movement, terrain features, and other miscellaneous situations are applied. Instead, the attacker must apply the Target Number modifiers shown in the Off-Board Artillery Attack Modifiers Table (see p. 151).

p.47: Indirect Fire: Artillery can be fired indirectly (see Indirect Fire, p. 41). When fired indirectly, apply an additional –1 Target Number
modifier if the spotter has the TAG or LTAG special ability and is within 24” of the target (6” for LTAG).

Firstly, with respect to the first quote, it was assumed standard artillery rules refer to the rules on page 47. The quote from p.47 indicates that if you have TAG within range you get a -1 TN modifier. However the advanced rules on p.152 outline a very different way of using TAG with homing rounds. Should the homing rounds rules from p.152 override the standard rules on p.47 if advanced artillery is in play? Or do the advanced rules still only apply to the off-board shots while the on-board shots use the rules from p.47? For consistency we played that the homing rules under advanced artillery over rode the standard rules, but perhaps that is not the way it was meant to be?

Another question that popped up related to the second quote regarding the target number modifiers for off-board artillery. Does the off-board artillery modifier (+7) encompass a standing still modifier as well? It seemed that the intention of the quote from page 152 was that it is an all encompassing modifier. So we played it as whether or not the off-board artillery was at a standstill was irrelevant.

Lastly, there is a spotter modifier in the Artillery Attack Modifiers Table on p.151 of -1. Is it simply that you get a -1 if you've got a spotter, no modifier if you don't? Or do terrain factors that would normally impact spotting for indirect fire, such as woods intervening in the line of sight between the spotter and the target POI, still apply? I think we went with the first option.

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
Re: Mixing onboard & offboard artillery rules
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2020, 17:12:44 »
Something that we didn't get around to trying in the game was counter-battery fire. Upon perusing these rules (p.153) I noticed the following is stated about counter-battery fire:
can only be attempted by artillery weapons that have a maximum range equal to—or greater than— that of the off-board artillery unit they are firing back at. A list of these artillery ranges can be found in the Alpha Strike artillery rules (see p. 47).

In the Commanders Edition rules all of the maximum ranges have been replaced with "-" in the table referred to. Errata v.2.0 adds back in the missing cruise missile data, but still no maximum ranges. Does this mean the section of the rules above is now irrelevant and all artillery (other than artillery cannons) can use counter-battery fire against all other artillery?
« Last Edit: 13 February 2020, 17:15:18 by SC_Dave »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2020, 17:35:16 »
Homing Rounds specifically state their attack roll is a 4 and it's not affected by any modifiers. p152 under Homing Rounds.

p151 doesn't have a plain -1 spotter modifier.  There's a -1 for Spotter has RCN, and a -2 if Spotter has a PRB (doesn't stack with RCN). 

Standstill: Off-board only uses the modifiers on p151.

Range of Off-board: yeah, that data needs to be added to the advanced rules artillery.  there were no changes from earlier on the missing ranges that I'm aware of.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2020, 08:24:11 »
Homing Rounds specifically state their attack roll is a 4 and it's not affected by any modifiers. p152 under Homing Rounds.

p151 doesn't have a plain -1 spotter modifier.  There's a -1 for Spotter has RCN, and a -2 if Spotter has a PRB (doesn't stack with RCN). 

Thank you for the feedback/answers. I find I must respectfully disagree about the table on p151, cut and paste from the table below:
Friendly unit acting as spotter when attack fired –1
Spotter has LPRB, PRB or BH –2
Spotter has RCN** –1

With regard to the homing rounds, I understand about the to-hit roll being 4 if the target is TAGged. What I was curious about was what happens when you are using both the standard (on-board) and advanced (off-board) rules in a game? As previously quoted the advanced rules state to use the standard rules for on-board attacks. The standard rules use TAG in a different way so you could end up using TAG in different ways, during the same game, depending upon whether the homing round was fired from off-board or if it is an on-board attack. You could however use the TAG/homing round combo as outlined in the advanced rules for the on-board attacks also. I wasn't sure if the Homing Round rules on p152 should override the way TAG is used in the standard rules if the advanced rules are in play?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2020, 09:54:08 »
Spotter: yep, my mistake. yeah, it's a -1 with a spotter. +0 if you don't have a spotter.

The standard rules don't actually reference homing rounds.  If you are using advanced rules, you either fire a standard artillery shot (which yes, by the rules can be affected by TAG), or a alternate munition homing round.  You pick when you fire it by declaring you are using the actual homing round or not.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2020, 18:39:14 »
The standard rules don't actually reference homing rounds.  If you are using advanced rules, you either fire a standard artillery shot (which yes, by the rules can be affected by TAG), or a alternate munition homing round.  You pick when you fire it by declaring you are using the actual homing round or not.

Thank you for the clarifications  :)

Register