Author Topic: What's the deal with the different formats for physical fiction?  (Read 2235 times)

Frabby

• Major
There are at least five different print formats (as in, physical dimensions) for BattleTech fiction. In particular, the latest three books came in three different formats. Mind that I am not talking about varying spine thickness that comes with different pagecount, but the cover format here.
This is not a complaint, but I am genuinely curious as to why there is no unified format? Though it does look a bit weird on the shelf.

105 x 170 mm - This was the old paperback novel format that all english BT and most MWDA novels in my collection share (the German novels have a different format but it is the same across all series and publishers).

135 x 200 mm - For some arcane reason, my copy of By Tempatations and by War has a considerably larger cover. No other BT book in my collection has this format.

140 x 216 mm - Seems to be the IMR/CGL fiction standard. All BattleCorps print anthologies, the Legacy anthology and also my copies of Embers of War and Betrayal of Ideals share this format. However...

153 x 230 mm - The Nellus Academy Incident comes in a larger format, and like By Temptations and by War, seems to be the only book in that format so far.

And finally,

108 x 170 mm - is how the A Splinter of Hope/The Anvil print edition came out. Slightly, but noticeably, wider than the previous FASA/Roc era novel standard.

Soo... what gives?  ???
« Last Edit: 14 September 2018, 03:57:13 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Register