Author Topic: How useful is it to work range brackets?  (Read 13759 times)

ExtraBattleTechisfun

Re: How useful is it to work range brackets?
« Reply #30 on: 05 February 2011, 20:30:07 »
Oh.  So far there isn't.  ;D Looks like I'll have to get to work on HMVee to design a heavy AC.  [rockon]

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #31 on: 09 February 2011, 11:46:11 »
First light ACs and now heavy ACs?  Where can I find the stats for these heavy ACs?  I'm thinking of making some VTOL remote controlled drones to use these heavy ACs to soften up invading 'Mechs. 

Light AC2
Medium AC5
Heavy AC10
Super-Heavy AC20
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Stockus13

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 11 February 2011, 16:56:20 »
Ok what is a golden bb?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #33 on: 11 February 2011, 16:58:09 »
Freak lucky hit against a largely intact unit that either cripples it or outright destroys it.  For example, some joker with a small laser TAC'ing out a mostly undamaged Marauder's cockpit.

Gauss headcaps don't really fall into this - you expect 15 points to be bad juju.  But an LRM 5 doing it?  That's a golden BB.

Stockus13

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 11 February 2011, 17:19:07 »
Ok thanks. Kinda like having a Jagermech hit a Direwolf in the head, and failing All your rolls because of 2 dmg from an AC 2. Yeah I have done that to a friend before.LOL

Man that does suck when you are on the receiving end of it.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #35 on: 11 February 2011, 17:28:53 »
Whats worse is playing a RPG character with a low BOD and being DEAD after 3 LB-X clusters to the head.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #36 on: 11 February 2011, 17:30:22 »
Ok thanks. Kinda like having a Jagermech hit a Direwolf in the head, and failing All your rolls because of 2 dmg from an AC 2. Yeah I have done that to a friend before.LOL

Actually, it's more like a gyro hit that causes the Dire Wolf to be unable to stand up again for the rest of the game.  Or blowing the cockpit or sensors out.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #37 on: 11 February 2011, 20:26:24 »
Or taking an LRM-3 to the CT-Tac on turn 1 from a worthless ShadowHawk-2D and having it cripple your Heavy mech for the rest of the game with extra engine heat & gyro damage for the entire game.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #38 on: 11 February 2011, 20:30:16 »
Basically, a Golden BB is any weak shot (usually 3 or less damage, but especially LB-X pellets) that causes a seriously crippling or outright lethal effect, especially at long range.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #39 on: 11 February 2011, 23:20:59 »
Playing the game or more specifically moving your units without paying attention to the to hit numbers? For me thats not even possible. The range bracket determines your to hit numbers the most. So yes, working brackets is mandatory.

+1

I will say, however, that not playing the range brackets is not that rare. We've all seen it, the inexperienced player who hasn't yet grasped the finer points of the game. Many munchkins never really grasp this detail  :-\
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #40 on: 12 February 2011, 03:04:46 »
Golden BB stories are always out there.  I once took a Rifleman X with the two LB10s and on the first shot of the game got a tripple engine TAC on a Stormcrow A.  But, I only ever did that once.  If I ever did that matchup again, the Stormcrow would rip the poor Rifleman limb from limb.

The idea is that you can shot something, anything, with a BB Gun, the most underpowered sort of gun that you'd ever think of, and that by some freak chance, some 'golden' shot can find the powder magazine of a battleship or the famous 'open maintanence panel' in the front of your Dire Wolf. 

Getting back on track, when we talk about the notion of 'late movers' it does depend on game size.  In a lance on lance game, 25% of your force moves last when you win int, and depending on how you're positioned that can be as much as 50% of your striking power at that moment, so it can be a big deal.  Even in larger games, when you've spread the field, you only have to move after the mechs that you expect to take fire from, and fire at, and you can do this even if you lose int, if you can make your opponent react to you on another part of the field, or do any number of other tricks.  Plus, as I spoke about, even when you lose int, you still need to be aware that your opponent will try to work his own brackets, and you need to move with that in mind to prevent it.

Yes, some players don't think about these things.  But when the difrent of one hex or two hexes can be a +2 or a -2 TN, these people are easy to gain an advantage on.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 13 February 2011, 12:55:18 »

Man that does suck when you are on the receiving end of it.
Heh, we need a new thread just for those stories. Should I start one or does someone else wanna do it?
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.