Author Topic: Mercenary Hall  (Read 210158 times)

Requiem_for_a_Moth

• Private
  • 1 of 9
Re: Mercenary Hall
« Reply #90 on: 12 February 2011, 13:18:18 »
There are programs other than excell and word that I can use to keep track of my unit's stuff...Cool, where can I find them?

I'm working on an Access database* that should do almost all the calculations involved with keeping track of a unit (using the Warchest system).

Of course, if your problem is not having MS Office programs, that won't help, and I second th idea to use Openoffice with the Excel spreadsheets. That's what I did for a while until I got my student  MS Office CD.

*no ETA on this yet--I'm doing this partly to teach myself how to use Access better since we use it a lot where I work, so it might take a while to get everything working.
Denn alles Fleisch ist wie Gras und alle Herrlichkeit des Menschen wie des Grases Blumen. Das Gras ist verdorret und die Blume abgefallen.

Aber des Herrn Wort bleibet in Ewigkeit.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #91 on: 12 February 2011, 13:50:11 »
^
Understanding that the ETA on that Access database is up in the air please do keep us updated on it. That sounds like a great idea and I think it could be really handy.

The D.C. can be a notoriously bad Merc employer until Teddy K's reforms. Then they marginally improve to something resembling decent (YMMV). Just depends on how "canon" you do things.  I've been on both sides of that coin w/ the D.C. The first time was a 3025 era unit that took a contract for garrison duty on the Rasalhague District/Steiner border. We got stomped by the 10th Lyran Guard. The next time was during Op Bulldog. We kicked Smoke Jag ass and made off w/ a haul salvage-wise.

One of the reasons I enjoy playing DC merc campaigns is because they have such a rep for being rat bastards. It ain't a merc campaign with me unless your employer screws you twice!  O0
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #92 on: 12 February 2011, 22:18:19 »
I do have MS office.  I just do not really have the time to deal with the finer details such as parts and supplies, which I would like to, but also do not have the equations for such management.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 13 February 2011, 10:27:37 »
Then definitely look at the Warchest system. The complexity of supplies goes right out the window with that.

Edit: I should rephrase that. That isn't meant to pimp my own changes to the system. I really think the Chaos Campaign Warchest system is brilliant, and exactly what BT needed. Then again, I don't really prefer AccountTech. So that was meant to pimp the Chaos Campaign PDF. Now back to your regularly scheduled mercenary negotiations.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #94 on: 13 February 2011, 10:53:51 »
Keep an eye out for the 2.0 version of Makinu's solo campaign system.  Very solid, and very customizeable as well.

Davout73
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #95 on: 13 February 2011, 11:26:01 »
Is this the warchest system you mentioned?

http://www.scrapyardarmory.com/2011/02/03/chaos-campaign-warchest-calculators/

Can you guys point me towards any other sites?

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: 13 February 2011, 13:09:45 »
http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_35_213&products_id=2162

That's where the rules for Chaos Campaign can be found (or alternately, if you have Dawn of the Jihad or Blake Ascendant, the rules can be found in that book). I don't think I reposted my older version of the modifications I did to that system, here on the new forums. I'll try to remember to do that shortly.

Edit: The link you mentioned is a great tool if you are using the vanilla Chaos Campaign system (linked at the top of this post).

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #97 on: 13 February 2011, 20:00:19 »
I've got a quick question for y'all: How many of us have or will post our non-canon merc units on the boards? I know I've put about 10 or so units on the boards. It seems like every time the boards get stomped by idiot hacker types, I end up creating new units to run and post. I have a unit now, I just haven't gotten off my lazy backside to post it yet, lol :D.  I know that there's a way to look for the archives, I'm still lazy and wifey keeps me busy lately.
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: 13 February 2011, 20:16:42 »
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forumarchive/

That's the archive address. I've posted up a number on the old boards, but currently have no game going. I'm likely to start one again, once I wrap some other odds and ends up (and once 3085 units are in MM). I've been itching to do some dark age Republic things for a while, and it's finally feasible with TRO 3085.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 13 February 2011, 21:21:26 »
I've been posting the exploits of my unit in the fanfic thread, once the curent part of the story ends I was going to post a TO&E and the like.  I had a post with some of the mech mods the unit has, maybe I should do that again.

Davout73

I've got a quick question for y'all: How many of us have or will post our non-canon merc units on the boards? I know I've put about 10 or so units on the boards. It seems like every time the boards get stomped by idiot hacker types, I end up creating new units to run and post. I have a unit now, I just haven't gotten off my lazy backside to post it yet, lol :D.  I know that there's a way to look for the archives, I'm still lazy and wifey keeps me busy lately.
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #100 on: 13 February 2011, 21:59:36 »
@Davout73: -> I've done that before but lately haven't had the time to concentrate that heavily on BT/AToW. RL does get in the way sometimes and I'm casually been looking @ AToW trying to get a handle on things.
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.

Joshua D

• Corporal
  • A Ranger must be free.
« Reply #101 on: 15 February 2011, 01:00:57 »
So, I got my start in MWDA, but switched pretty quickly over to CBT before I really dove into the game.  Looking on the warrenborn website, I noticed they have Grey Death Legion units.  Is the GDL reborn in the dark age?

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #102 on: 15 February 2011, 10:03:39 »
The GDL was pretty much annihilated, Grayson's son was with the Lyran military at the time though. 

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #103 on: 15 February 2011, 12:36:31 »
So, I got my start in MWDA, but switched pretty quickly over to CBT before I really dove into the game.  Looking on the warrenborn website, I noticed they have Grey Death Legion units.  Is the GDL reborn in the dark age?

The Legion's military units were all but wiped out on Hesperus II.  However, the technical staff started Gray Death Technologies with start up money from Tom Leon's family.  GDT produced the Gray Death series of battle armors until they were destroyed by the Blakists during the Jihad.  After that, I don't know who picked up production.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Reaver

• Warrant Officer
  • 10 XP from 2nd level commoner
« Reply #104 on: 15 February 2011, 13:34:18 »

If the GDL were any deader, it would have to be reanimated so they could kill it again.
The Federated Suns.  Exporting freedom, whether we have it or not, whether you want it or not.
--Pyro

Joshua D

• Corporal
  • A Ranger must be free.
« Reply #105 on: 15 February 2011, 13:47:46 »
Oh, I know its dead now.  I just saw that there was a GDL section here: http://www.warrenborn.com/UnitSection.html and was wondering if for some reason they are going to be revived.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #106 on: 15 February 2011, 22:10:17 »
Oh, I know its dead now.  I just saw that there was a GDL section here: http://www.warrenborn.com/UnitSection.html and was wondering if for some reason they are going to be revived.

Looks to me like they're using the GDL insignia to represent "Gunslingers" which if I'm not mistaken are independent mercs.

Wasn't there a time when Gunslingers were the best duelists in the SLDF? Anyway, from what I can tell in the DA they're mercs as the "Copperhead" Mangonel is a 21st Centauri Lancers unit and the "Blitz" Jade Hawk is a 'goons unit.

I miss the GDL, but I think it was just their time  :'(
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #107 on: 16 February 2011, 01:18:14 »
As to why they weren't revived.  Financial insolvency sounds like a good reason.  GDL had such a terrible reputation in the mercenary community that they might as well go by another name.  We may all love them, but remember that if GDL was reformed it would just be a name.  Even Alex isn't anything close to his father.  Without McCall, Lorrie and the other old bloods like Powers and Leone the soul of the Legion is gone.

Said it once, i'll say it again: Let the dead rest in peace.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #108 on: 16 February 2011, 15:46:21 »
As to why they weren't revived.  Financial insolvency sounds like a good reason.  GDL had such a terrible reputation in the mercenary community that they might as well go by another name.  We may all love them, but remember that if GDL was reformed it would just be a name.  Even Alex isn't anything close to his father.  Without McCall, Lorrie and the other old bloods like Powers and Leone the soul of the Legion is gone.

Said it once, i'll say it again: Let the dead rest in peace.

Let's see:  Desertion, treason, insubordination, just to name a few.  I am sure others can be more specific.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
« Reply #109 on: 16 February 2011, 15:50:37 »
Let's see:  Desertion, treason, insubordination, just to name a few.  I am sure others can be more specific.

That's what makes them so lovable. I'm a fan of the Black Widows just cause of the fact that they were the dregs of the dragoons and cause natasha is a naughty little
Clanner ;)
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: 16 February 2011, 15:52:26 »

When did we start talking about Wolf's Dragoons?

;)

Davout73

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #111 on: 16 February 2011, 15:52:53 »
It is nice to remain hire able though. 

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #112 on: 19 February 2011, 06:39:57 »
My 27th RCT works only for noble causes, when not generally peacekeeping...

ROTS, Davion, RD

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 19 February 2011, 07:02:46 »

ROTS, Davion, RD

Morals are all well and good but they don't always pay the bills.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #114 on: 19 February 2011, 11:29:48 »
SGT. Schlock (to recruits): "Repeat after me...  Morality pays poorly."

Recruits (in unison):  "Morality pays poorly!"

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #115 on: 19 February 2011, 12:23:27 »

ROTS, Davion, RD

In a universe of moral relativism?  You must have lots of contracts to choose from.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #116 on: 19 February 2011, 14:17:11 »
And variety is the spice of life.  A merc needs to be prepared for anything.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #117 on: 27 February 2011, 10:26:46 »
For those who asked about it before, I reposted the Campaign System. Working on an updated, simpler version.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,2355.0.html

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #118 on: 27 February 2011, 17:08:35 »
Thanks DM, Looking forward to the updated version  :).

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: 28 February 2011, 17:25:09 »
So for all you waiting, updated version is done. More details in the thread. If you want to jump right there, the link in my sig goes to the most current version. Workbook coming soonish!