Author Topic: MWO SRMs – Streaks VS Artemis IV?  (Read 2040 times)

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
MWO SRMs – Streaks VS Artemis IV?
« on: 07 June 2021, 13:53:26 »
This is kind of an offshoot of an exchange I had in another thread, but I felt it was far enough removed from that topic to be its own thread. I have questions regarding these two varieties of short range missile as they are represented in MechWarrior Online.

As I’ve said before in the other thread, I do not like SRMs very much, in any MechWarrior game I’ve played thus far. I find them marginally more enjoyable in HBS BattleTech and the tabletop, but that’s because I don’t have to aim them myself in those games; it’s up to the dice.

However, I recognize that SRMs are nonetheless quite useful in a variety of applications, even if they don’t fit my own preferred playstyles very well as primary weapons, and I’m considering implementing them in some of my ‘Mech configurations after I’ve constructed my own PC instead of having to borrow my brother’s for specific events. ;D But I refuse to use regular SRMs. I don’t like unguided missiles; at that point, I would rather just use any other direct fire weapon instead. So I’m looking at guided options…

I’ve seen Streaks used to catch light ‘Mechs who are otherwise hard to hit by the assaults and some heavies. I don’t recall Artemis IV SRMs being used the same way. I’m actually not sure Artemis IV SRMs are actually guided in the same sense that Streaks, LRMs, ATMs, and I think MRMs are… I admittedly didn’t pay too much attention to SRM use while in spectator mode after getting eliminated from a game; the Streaks just stuck out to me.

So… What exactly are these two different varieties of SRM doing differently from each other?
« Last Edit: 07 June 2021, 14:02:43 by Akamia »
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: MWO SRMs – Streaks VS Artemis IV?
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2021, 15:07:48 »
So… What exactly are these two different varieties of SRM doing differently from each other?
Streaks have two significant downsides:
  • In games with the lots of ECM, your Streaks will not fire. That itself is a pretty significant disadvantage.
  • Streaks can not be aimed where you need them to hit. Imagine that you are fighting some enemy 'Mech with cherry red torso section. All it would be needed to kill him would be some light damage to that section before his weapons recharge. Except that when you finally get lock on him and fire your Streak SRM rack, those missiles hit left leg, right leg, left arm and right arm. With standard SRMs you would kill him with one shot. And because you did not kill him quickly, then he kills you ...
There are some good reasons why you rarely see skilled players running Streaks.

Once you improve your gunnery skills, you will find that you actually do not need Streaks to hit.

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2021, 15:14:04 »
So… What are the benefits/drawbacks of SRM + Artemis IV vs regular SRMs, then?

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2021, 15:33:11 »
So… What are the benefits/drawbacks of SRM + Artemis IV vs regular SRMs, then?
Artemis IV improves the spread of your SRMs, but also adds one ton to your SRM rack and one more slot.

Standard SRM-2 and SRM-4 are accurate enough and you can use them without Artemis IV, but SRM-6 is best used with Artemis IV, unless you do not mind that wide spread.

Also note that when adding Artemis IV, you add it to all SRM racks on your 'Mech, whether you like it or not. Depending on how many SRM racks your 'Mech has, it can be a few tons of added weight.

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2021, 15:47:03 »
I see, so they aren’t actually a guided option in the sense that I cannot acquire target locks like I can with other missiles. That makes my decision in this regard very simple. :P

I think, for my purposes, the benefits of Streaks outweigh the detriments for the time being. I’ll very likely be re-evaluating that notion at some point in the future when I’ve had time to hone my gunnery skills, but until then as far as missile weapons go, it’s guided or nothing for me. ;D

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2021, 18:09:59 »
I think, for my purposes, the benefits of Streaks outweigh the detriments for the time being. I’ll very likely be re-evaluating that notion at some point in the future when I’ve had time to hone my gunnery skills, but until then as far as missile weapons go, it’s guided or nothing for me. ;D

The key is to find the right missile-using Mechs on a Public Test   :D

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2021, 18:15:13 »
The key is to find the right missile-using Mechs on a Public Test   :D

You can also test drive custom configs of 'mechs you don't own from the store :)
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2021, 20:55:55 »
So, I lied. Decided to try the SRMs + Artemis IV anyway. Turns out at the ranges I'm gonna be using these, the lack of guidance doesn't actually matter much.

So to fill my objective, I'm running a quad-SRM-6 + Artemis IV Timber Wolf C(C). After I've filled the objective, though, I'm probably gonna reconfigure to a build I'd actually want to run in a normal game. I'm dying too fast for my taste. ;D

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2021, 22:08:18 »
So, I lied. Decided to try the SRMs + Artemis IV anyway. Turns out at the ranges I'm gonna be using these, the lack of guidance doesn't actually matter much.

So to fill my objective, I'm running a quad-SRM-6 + Artemis IV Timber Wolf C(C). After I've filled the objective, though, I'm probably gonna reconfigure to a build I'd actually want to run in a normal game. I'm dying too fast for my taste. ;D

HA!  That's exactly the reason over on MW5 on XBOX1 that I just downloaded, I'm generally running a hunchback: since i like to get up in their face ANYWAYS, I might as well use a mech that specializes in it...  ;) ;D

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2021, 22:53:04 »
Haha. See, I'm kinda the opposite; I don't like getting in people's face. :P I like to shoot from a distance whenever possible. Unfortunately for me, MWO, and perhaps BattleTech games in general I suppose, seems to encourage getting up close and personal in most situations. ;D

Register