Author Topic: Tempest Rising: Wolf's Dragoons (Pic Heavy!!!)  (Read 45010 times)

Alex Keller

• Captain
Tempest Rising: Wolf's Dragoons (Pic Heavy!!!)
« on: 31 January 2011, 16:37:23 »
I don't have a blog, but I still wanted to document my current Battletech campaign.  We"re doing the Tempest Rising campaign from the Wolf & Blake Starterbook.  My girlfriend just started playing, so she's playing the role of Stacy Church, and I'm her XO (Jacob Kincaid).  I also play as the gamemaster, so I've been doing the opposing forces.

The Widows start off with a full complement of twelve battlemechs.  For the most part, every warrior has what they"re given in the starterbook with the exception of Eirene Rondema, Max Hendrickson and Halle Yost.  Eirene's Gallowglass is replaced by a WR-DG-02FC War Dog.  Max's Cobra is replaced with an old TBT-5N Trebuchet and Halle'ss Talon is replaced with a CDA-3F Cicada.  Other than that, everyone is the same.

We've been playing with advanced TacOps rules and also using the fluff and quirks from both the Starterbook and StratOps.  So, for example, Halle's Cicada cannot torso twist, cannot punch, and suffers a +2 penalty when attempting to stand.  But Halle's sniping ability gives her a -2 to-hit modifier when she fires just her PPC at medium or long range.

We've been using the Warchest Point system which is much easier (and faster) than C-Bills.  So we started off with 150WPs and a lot of inexperience!  Our goal was to complete all the Touchpoints as quickly as possible.  I don't have a camera so I'll post pics when my GF remembers to bring one.   

Mission #1: Supply (-75WP)
Hall, WoB Protectorate
28 January 3073

Black Widows:
Capt. Stacy Church (1/2)   ZEU-9WD Zeus-X
Halle Yost (2/3)         CDA-3F Cicada
Russel Madison (3/3)      LCT-6M Locust

Protectorate Militia:
Adept Nicholas Brandt (3/3)   BJ2-O Blackjack
Sergei Mechlan    (4/5)      INI-02 Initiate
Alys Hannigan (4/5)      MON-67 Mongoose
Trevor Cochran   (4/5)      WSP-3L Wasp

Objectives:
#1 Search Objective (Reward: 100WP)  – use ‘mech’s sensors to scan which bunker has the goods
#2 Resist! (Reward: 100WP) – 2 mechs survive at least 10 turns

Special Rules:
Salvage – Dragoons get salvage rights!
Commander – Adept Brandt is 3/3

Game Setup
We use my GeoHex mat (72x33 hexes) and my new collection of hex-based hills from Wild Child Games to create a sharp looking, dynamic battlefield.  Lots of trees through the hills.  The supply bunkers are located on the far side of the field in between a large lake and a large forest.  The Protectorate Militia are have staked out the area and they appear ready for the Dragoons.

Turn 1:
Stacy sprints towards the middle of the field.  Halle sprints a full 16 hexes and Russel sprints an amazing 28 hexes using his special ability.  The Protectorate Militia attempts to find sniping nests in the hills.  No LOS.

Turn 2:
Stacy runs, putting herself in the middle of a valley that leads to the Protectorate supply base.  Halle uses her Cicada’s amazing 240 meter jumping capability to jump up onto a level 3 hill with some tree coverage. Russel’s Locust sprints again, as he skirts along the left flank and into enemy range.  The Blackjack is now in firing position but Russel’s +6 movement modifier and Halle’s +4 modifier ensure that all incoming rounds miss.  Stacy, at extreme range, scores a huge heavy PPC shot onto the Blackjack’s torso and an LB-10X slug round takes more armor off an arm, thanks to her alpha strike bonus.  Halle demonstrates just how effective her sniping skills are, using her ERPPC to deadly effect. The Blackjack weathers the storm, but scores no hits. The Initiate is slow and has a hard time moving into firing position with all the trees.  The Wasp waits while the Mongoose protects the rear from an anticipated flanking attack by the Locust.

Turn 3:
Stacy advances further through the valley and alpha strikes the Blackjack. Ouch. My girlfriend is taking a liking to Stacy Church. Halle moves closer and into another sniping nest but her PPC misses the Blackjack thanks to partial cover. Russel sprints into the enemy base camp and begins scanning 3 of the 4 buildings.  The Mongoose is unable to land any shots on Russel and the Initiate is floundering in the woods.  The Blackjack finally scores a hit with an Ultra AC/5 on the Cicada. 

Turn 4:
The Initiate and Wasp arrive on scene to drive Russel out of the base.  The Mongoose pursues but is unable to score hits on the speedy Locust.  Adept Brandt, alone and outgunned, exchanges blows one more time with Halle Yost and is seemingly ignorant of Stacy Church’s advance.  The combined fire from Stacy and Halle strips all the armor off the Blackjack’s left torso and punch into the delicate insides.  Adept Brandt falls down. 

Turn 5:
Adept Brandt gets back up and runs into the safety of the woods.  Halle is now in position to fire down into the base camp, with Captain Church just behind her.  Russell runs back into camp, but the Blakists are preparted and the Initiate and Mongoose both score a couple of laser hits on Russel.  Russel remains standing and successfully finds the hidden supplies.  Church and Yost miss on difficult shots into the base camp. 

Turn 6: 
Russel runs like hell and no one can catch him.  Halle is also difficult to catch, using her jumpjets and ERPPC to make a fighting retreat back to the home edge.  Stacy also turns around and runs back to the dropship.  None of the Protectorate lights can get through the forest fast enough to catch up with them. 

Turns 7-10:
The Widows stick around the home edge, not really having to worry about pursuing forces.  The Initiate wastes a few rounds of LRMs, but hits nothing but dirt. 

Aftermath:
Stacy and Russel both earn an experience point (XP) and Halle gains 2 XPs for her skilled jumping and sniping.  The Dragoons also net some useful ammunition.

WPs Earned: 200WP
Repairs: -75WP (Locust)
Total WP: 200WPs 
« Last Edit: 21 November 2011, 18:13:19 by Alex Keller »

Alex Keller

• Captain
Re: Tempest Rising: Wolf's Dragoons
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2011, 17:54:23 »
Mission# 2: Flank (-75WP)
Hall, WoB Protectorate
30 January 3073

Black Widows:
Capt. Stacy Church (1/2)   ZEU-9WD Zeus-X
Fancine (3/3)         GRF-6S Griffin
Calvin Magdaleno (2/3)      BLR-4S Battlemaster
Halle Yost (2/3)         CDA-3F Cicada

Lt. Jacob Kincaid (2/3)      UZL-2S Uziel
Lt. Eirene Rondema (2/3)   WR-DG-02FC War Dog

Great House Militia: (Roll of 2 = 2 Heavy & 3 Medium)
Lt Francois D’Arman  (3/4)   PTR-4D Penetrator
Dan Haskell (3/4)      OTL-6D Ostsol
Jennifer Bradley (3/4)      SHD-5D Shadow Hawk
Stephanie Cox (3/4)      ENF-6M Enforcer III

Tristan McPhee (3/4)      BJ-2 Blackjack

Objectives:
#1 Destroy (Reward: 150WP) – Destroy Penetrator and Ostsol
#2 No Quarter (Reward: 200WP) – Cripple/Destroy all forces

Special Rules:
Salvage – Dragoons get salvage rights!
Forced Withdrawal – House unit withdraws when half force is destroyed or crippled

Game Setup
The GeoHex mat is mostly bare, with a city in the middle.  I’ve got several buildings from JR Miniatures as well as a custom made ‘Mech hangar.  The Great House lance is hiding in the city, and there are only two hills to use as cover on approach. The enemy home edge has a few level 3 hills and some trees, but that’s it.

Turn 1:
Stacy and Calvin advance (run) up the center towards town.  Francine advances up the right side, using her supercharger to go a full 10 hexes.  Halle sprints to take cover on the left flank.  The militia units exit the hangar bay, and are slow to move to position for fear of risking a fall.

Turn 2:
The Penetrator jumps into a firing position and exchanges long range fire with Halle’s Cicada.  The Shadow Hawk jumps into a position behind a large building, shielding herself from massed fire from Stacy or Calvin.  The Enforcer and Ostsol advance down the right side, focusing fire on Francine.  The extended range fire doesn’t hit anything. 

Turn 3:
Halle jumps up on top of a level 4 skyscraper and fires down on the Penetrator.  The Penetrator takes a PPC hit on the left arm and is unable to score any Large Laser hits on the nimble Cicada.  The Ostsol scores some hits on Francine, but the Griffin’s laser reflective armor shrugs it off.  (Large Laser does 2 points of damage when glancing blow & laser reflective armor).  Francine concentrates her fire on the Enforcer and scores a hit on the Enforcer’s head with her snub nose PPC.  The Shadow Hawk emerges from behind the building and is immediately hit hard by Stacy’s heavy PPC.  The left torso is breached and a crit takes out some RAC/5 ammo.  CASE saves the pilot and ‘mech but it’s effectively neutered and begins to retreat under forced withdrawal.  Calvin moves towards the left flank to try and help support Halle against the Penetrator, but he can’t get a shot between the buildings.

Turn 4:
The militia get relief in the form of an old Blackjack, but it’s going to take some time for it to move up to help.  Meanwhile, the Shadow Hawk begins retreating back through the city.  The Enforcer and Griffin continue to jump around the hill just outside of the city and the Ostsol comes dangerously close to the Griffin.  (At this point I explain to my girlfriend that each of the Ostsol’s punches can be devastating. Her laser reflective armor is brittle and takes 2x damage, and the TSM equipped Ostsol does 2x damage, so she’s potentially looking at two 24 point punches if she can’t run away.)  Stacy veers to the right and starts alpha striking on the Ostsol.  Calvin, in a sniping position on the opposite side of the field, realizes he’s not going to be able to keep up with the jj equipped Penetrator and moves towards the hill, sniping with light PPCs at the Enforcer.   The Ostsol scores more laser hits on the Griffin, but it doesn’t do much.  Meanwhile, the Ostsol soaks up some heavy combined damage from Francine’s Griffin and Stacy’s Zeus, but he remains standing. The Penetrator can’t get into medium pulse range of Halle’s Cicada, so they both exchange fire.  Halle’s gunnery skill of 2 and -2 bonus for sniping are really coming through, and her +4 movement modifier is making it difficult for the Militia commander to get a hit.

Turn 5:
Jacob and Eirene arrive on the right flank, just in time to catch the Penetrator and retreating Shadow Hawk out in the open on Main Street.  Eirene’s gauss rifle and large pulse laser both score, but it is Jacob’s light AC/5s that do the most damage, score a critical hit on the Penetrator’s left arm and knocking out the focusing lens of the large laser housed inside.  But not before one of the lasers catches Eirene’s War Dog in the head.  On the hill, Francine attempts to distance herself from the TSM activated Ostsol but she can’t escape him.  She stands next to Capt Church and the Ostsol runs right up next to her.   The lasers fire on Stacy’s Zeus but score no critical hits.  Stacy savages the Ostsol with a heavy PPC, LB-10x and 2 medium lasers.  The Ostsol survives and attempts two punches but the running and Francine’s jumping made it just too difficult to connect.  The Enforcer and Calvin exchange fire, neither score much.  The Blackjack advances but isn’t quite able to contribute yet. 

Turn 6:
The Ostsol backs up, but so do Stacy and Francine.  Their combined fire take down the zombie mech and the Widows are half-way to completing their first objective.  In town, Jacob advances down main street to take fire away from Eirene, who retreats after her cockpit was blasted.  The Blackjack scores an AC/2 hit against Jacob. Jacob returns fire, hitting with his light AC/5s and his Streak 6.  Undeterred, the Penetrator advances, hoping to use his two banks of medium pulse lasers to score more hits on his chosen prey.  The Shadow Hawk is not far out of town, but cannot manage to get any hits against Jacob.  Eirene’s gauss misses, and so does her large pulse laser!  She does not have much room to maneuver in and the Penetrator seems to be trapping her in a corner.   Calvin comes to the rescue, having decided to avoid the jumping Enforcer and concentrate on the Penetrator, who is no longer protected by larger buildings.  Calvin’s RAC 5 and light PPCs pepper the Penetrator, but nothing punches through.   The Penetrator’s medium pulse lasers chew up the War Dog’s arms and torso. 

Turn 7:
The Shadow Hawk is now out of the picture, having put a large hill between him and the firefight in the city.  The Blackjack refuses to enter the city though, content to jump and snipe with his AC/2s.  Jacob engages and comes out the better, scoring more autocannon and medium pulse laser hits on the Blackjack.  Eirene has backed herself into a city corner, there is no place to go unless she wants to retreat off the board.  The Penetrator advances into medium range for his pulse lasers and both mechs alpha strike.  Again, Eirene takes 5 medium pulse laser hits around her torso and arms.  The Widows breathe a sigh of relief.  Her gauss rifle and pulse lasers open up huge holes in the Penetrators armor.  Calvin pours more fire into the Penetrator’s right flank, taking out a medium pulse laser.  Halle jumps right behind the Penetrator and alpha strikes, taking out all the rear armor on the left torso side, and taking the left arm off.  Stacy moves closer but can’t seem to score a hit.  Francine starters her duel with the Enforcer III. 

Turn 8:
Jacob and the Blackjack exchange more blows, though the Blackjack doesn’t connect on much and his mech’s outdated heat sink system is woefully outmatched.  The Blackjack takes 10 more points of damage for every 2 points he scores.  The Penetrator realizes he’s in trouble now, but it’s too late.  He’s surrounded by 4 angry Widows, who pummel him with weapons fire from all sides.  His mech is cored out by PPC, laser, autocannon, gauss and missile fire.  He manages to hit Eirene a few more times with his pulse lasers, but Eirene has the last laugh as she kicks in his cockpit.  (Eirene is vicious!)  The Enforcer sees the writing on the wall and attempts to disengage and retreat, but she’s caught on the wrong side of the city.

Turn 9:
The Enforcer tries to make a run for it, but she’s gunned down by Stacy, Francine and Calvin.  Halle leaves to help Jacob take down the retreating Blackjack.  Eirene gives everyone a scare when she decides she’s going to run through town to try and block the Enforcer’s escape route and she falls down.  Fortunately, she doesn’t get any more hurt.  Jacob continues to pour fire into the Blackjack, but he’s now sustained moderate damage himself. 

Turn 10:
Halle and Jacob finally take down the Blackjack as he was just 120 meters away from freedom. 

Aftermath:
We decided to repair Eirene’s wounded War Dog.  Francine’s Griffin won’t get any repairs despite taking many hits. (I silently question Capt Church’s judgment on that one, then not so silently question her judgment and she confirms she’s the Captain and I’m just the XO).  Stacy’s Zeus gets two full clips of LB-10x ammunition and it’s expensive to repair the damage the Ostsol gave it.

WPs Earned: 350
Salvage: Ostsol +70WP, Enforcer +65WP
Repairs: -60WP (War Dog), -80WP (Zeus)
Total WP: 440WPs 

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2011, 04:38:47 »
Nice.

SB Wolf and Blake is fun. Watch for those end Missions thou. They get tough.

I like that your using the  advanced Strat/TacOps rules for mechs they add a while different level to the game.

Can I ask how come some of the warriors started in Different mechs that their normal rides?
« Last Edit: 01 February 2011, 04:41:39 by markhall »

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2011, 11:35:40 »
Thanks!  Yeah, I know we've been kinda lucky with our random dice rolls to determine opposing forces.  Things could be pretty rough if we had to face assault mechs.

The reason that Eirene, Max and Halle are in different rides is because I don't have miniatures for the Gallowglas, Cobra and Talon.  But I do have a War Dog, Trebuchet and Cicada, and those seemed the next closest thing.

Precentor Ollie

• Recruit
  • It's all in the numbers
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2011, 11:55:29 »
Awesome battle report.  When I visit the Philippines again, I will get my friends to play a massive Battle for Outreach game.  After all, they are big fans of the Wolf's Dragoons.  Seeing your battle report just game me more inspiration on pulling this off.
Clanner, I accept your challenge to a duel...with my friends.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2011, 13:19:03 »
Thanks!  Yeah, I know we've been kinda lucky with our random dice rolls to determine opposing forces.  Things could be pretty rough if we had to face assault mechs.

Preaching to the converted mate. When our group played it was an easy start. Then one the Wobbies themselves showed up it jumped in difficulty.

The reason that Eirene, Max and Halle are in different rides is because I don't have miniatures for the Gallowglas, Cobra and Talon.  But I do have a War Dog, Trebuchet and Cicada, and those seemed the next closest thing.

You could always just Sub in Minis for the ones you don't have.
But you're probably better off without the Cobra.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2011, 13:26:33 »
We need pictures! We want to see this battlefield!!

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2011, 14:29:07 »
We need pictures! We want to see this battlefield!!

Craig

You will!  My gf has a camera so we'll take pictures.  Next up is Touchpoint: Elgin...

RangerDave

« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2011, 05:35:11 »
nice

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2011, 12:56:27 »
Mission# 3: Touchpoint Elgin Part 1 (-300WP)
Outside Vikram
Elgin, WoB Protectorate
29 January 3073

SITUATION
A team of Dragoon Seventh Kommandos were present on Elgin when one of the few remaining Wolfnet operatives made contact with them, offering vital intelligence on Word of Blake troop movements in nearby space in return for a safe extraction to Arc-Royal.  Although the Sevens were able to link up with the Wolfnet operative and his team at a secret WoB intelligence facility, their dropship transport was discovered and destroyed by the WoB Protectorate Militia.  It was only luck, then, that the Widows’ Jumpship was recharging innocuously at the nadir jump point when the Sevens sent their call for help.

Captain Church ordered an immediate burn for the facility and while her dropship slipped past enemy aerospace forces, she attracted the attention of an entire Protectorate Militia Level III.  Captain Church ordered Lt. Rondema and Lt Rolfe to protect the dropship from further aerospace attacks while she took her command lance, still damaged from the recent fighting on Hall, into the secret WoB intelligence facility.  She arrived just in time, too.  The first elements of the Protectorate Militia had arrived… 

GAME SET-UP
The GeoHex mat has river down the middle which splits into two forks and rejoins, creating an island.  The river is surrounded by a thick forest of trees, making the tiny island an ideal location for a secret WoB intelligence facility.  There is a dirt road that runs the length of the map, with a bridge connecting the island to either side.  Fortified bunkers protect the road.  An underground facility houses the WoB’s intelligence collection facility, and there are two supply bunkers and a power generator also on the island.

ATTACKER
Black Widows:
Capt. Stacy Church (1/2)      ZEU-9WD Zeus-X
Lt. Jacob Kincaid (2/3)       UZL-2S Uziel
Francine (3/3)                  GRF-6S Griffin
Calvin Magdaleno (2/3)      BLR-4S Battlemaster

Seventh Kommandos (Active Turn 7)
Badger Tracked Transport (4/5)
Badger D Tracked Transport (4/5)

DEFENDER
WoB Protectorate Militia Level II – “Vikram’s Heroes ”
Acolyte Brinn Martinez (4/5)           BLF-21 Blue Flame
Adept Khalid Mohammad (3/4)    GUR-2G Gurkha
Padilla Heavy Artillery Tank (4/5)
Zephyr Hover Tank (4/5)
Bolla Stealth Tank (Invictus) (4/5)
Phalanx Battle Armor (4)

WoB Protectorate Militia Level II – “Rolling Thunder” (Active Turn 7)
Demi-Precentor Nick Tehler (2/3)   T-IT-N10M Grand Titan
Adept Sarah McAfee (3/4)      TDR-9M Thunderbolt      
Schrek PPC Carrier (4/5)
Schrek PPC Carrier (4/5)
Demon Tank (4/5)
Demon Tank (4/5)

Objectives:
#1 Get them out! (Reward: 500WP) – At least two of the Seventh Kommando units exit
#2 Objective raid. (Reward: 200WP) – Successfully scan the supply bunkers

Special Rules:
Condition Feral – Dragoons get +1 modifier to gunnery or targeting if automatically lose initiative. Bonus lasts until enemy unit is destroyed.
Forced Withdrawal – House unit withdraws when half force is destroyed or crippled

Turn 1:
Stacy Church and the Widows sprint towards the island facility.  The WoB Militia forces are swifter; but they stick together on the road. 

Turn 2:
Stacy Church and the Widows continue their headlong sprint towards the facility entrance.  Stacy makes radio contact with the Sevens, telling them to pack their gear and head out immediately.  Whitehorse, the Seventh Kommando commander, responds and tells Stacy they’ll be out in a minute. The WoB Militia, continues to run towards the facility at a fast clip, perhaps a bit more cautious since they lost contact with the facility a day earlier. 

Pic 01

Turn 3:
Calvin Magdaleno takes his hulking Battlemaster into the forest on the right flank.  Lt. Jacob Kincaid and Francine take the left flank.  Stacy stands guard along the dirt road.  Adept Mohammed in his Gurkha has arrived at the facility and he cautiously enters.  The rest of the Level II is right behind him. Mohammed walks right past a team of Sevens hiding in the western road bunker.

Pic 02

Turn 4:
 â€œCONTACT!” Francine screams as the WoB forces stream into the facility and open up on her Griffin.  The Zephyr uses its sophisticated Targeting Acquisition Gear to paint the ‘mech and a huge Arrow IV artillery missile strikes Francine’s Griffin, nearly tearing off the entire left arm.  Undeterred, Francine scores a hit on the lead Gurkha, and Stacy’s Zeus rains lightning and thunder as the heavy PPC and autocannon strip away all the armor on the Gurkha’s left side, opening up and damaging internal structure.  The damage is too much for the young militia warrior and the ‘mech falls down on the road, further damaging the ‘mechs left arm.   

Pic 03

Acolyte Martinez, aware that their facility has been compromised, orders the Bolla transport to take their battle armor to the underground command bunker. The Bolla is peppered with autocannon and laser fire from Madgaleno’s Battlemaster, which is now halfway submerged in the river.  The Bolla responds in kind, using its two MML-9s to devastating effect.

Pic 04

Turn 5:
The Zephyr tank whizzes past Calvin, but not before Calvin is able to score a critical hit, knocking the vehicles’ crew unconscious.  The Battlemaster, having fired nearly every weapon it it’s considerable arsenal, heats up.  The militia Gurkha stands up and retreats, taking cover behind Acolyte Martinez’s Blue Flame.  Both ‘mechs score hits against Calvin’s Battlemaster, including a large laser to the head, but the advanced reflective armor reduces the damage considerably. The Bolla takes more shots at the huge beast, but it refuses to go down.  The Phalanx soldiers exit the tank and some of them make their way towards the underground facility. 

Pic 05

Turn 6:
The Black Widows use their Condition Feral to devastating effect. Calvin blows a huge hole in the Zephyr, his RAC-5 scoring all hits on the right side against the immobile vehicle.  Stacy and Francine open up on the Bolla, coring it from the front and touching off a magazine of MML ammunition.  The Phalanx soldiers scatter from the explosion but are otherwise unharmed. 

Pic 06

Pic 07
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc372/Alex_Keller/Elgin07.jpg

The WoB mechs, now holding the dirt road and waiting for support, combine their fire against Calvin, but the river provides sufficient protection and Calvin’s Battlemaster is spared any significant damage.   Lt. Jacob Kincaid joins the Battle and fires his accurate LAC-5s at the Blue Flame, but the Flame is protected by the solid partial cover of a supply bunker.

Pic 08

Pic 09

Turn 7:
The Sevens are now in their APCs and they race for the facility exit.  But the Phalanx troops are blocking the way.  Stacy, Francine and Calvin combine their fire and take out all the WoB troops in less than 10 seconds, flashes of incredible energy vaporize the WoB troops before they have a chance to escape to the protection of a bunker.

Pic 10

Meanwhile, a slower heavier WoB Level II finally makes its way onto the battlefield.  The Dragoons need to leave now…

Pic 11

Turn 8:
Stacy Church drops the Gurkha at extreme range. Her accuracy in an alpha strike is uncanny.  Three of the Seventh Kommando APCs are able to clear the bridge and make it to safety, but the last falls prey to the Padilla tank.  The medium pulse lasers took out enough armor and internal structure to cripple the transport.  The team of Sevens hop out of the transport.  Their pleas of “help!” and “don’t leave us!” are heard by Stacy Church, but Stacy makes the decision to leave them.  There’s nothing she can do for them. 

Pic 13

Calvin is the last to leave.  He believes he could have saved at least some of them by picking them up.

Pic 12

Turn 9:
The rest of the WoB units are now in the facility.  Adept Martinez in her Blue Flame corners the Sevens.  The Sevens are rounded up and shipped out for interrogation….

Pic 14

Turn 10:
Lt. Rondema’s Fire Lance and Lt. Rolfe’s Recon Lance await the return of Stacy Church and the remaining Seventh Commandos….

Pic 16

Pic 17

TO BE CONTINUED…..!

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2011, 02:50:30 »
Oh Dear.

Bad luck for the 7th.

Looks like it was a hard game for the players

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2011, 09:36:30 »
Yeah, the decision to leave the team of Sevens behind was actually a bit hard on the Widows Player.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2011, 13:42:03 »
PART 2:

While Stacy Church is leading the rest of the Seventh Kommandos back to the dropship, Michael Ramirez and the rest of the Widow's fire support lance are holding off a probe from a Blakist level II of light mechs.

ATTACKER
Black Widows:
Lt. Eirene Rondema (2/3)   WR-DG-02FC War Dog
Orrin Fletchter (2/4) DV-7D Dervish
Michael Ramirez (3/4) ARC-8M Archer
Max Hendrickson (3/4) TBT-7M Trebuchet

Capt. Stacy Church (1/2)      ZEU-9WD Zeus-X (Enters Turn 2)
Lt. Jacob Kincaid (2/3)       UZL-2S Uziel (Enters Turn 2)
Francine (3/3)                  GRF-6S Griffin (Enters Turn 2)
Calvin Magdaleno (2/3)      BLR-4S Battlemaster (Enters Turn 4)

Seventh Kommandos (Active Turn 2)

DEFENDER
WoB Protectorate Militia Level II
Adept Mace Tyrell (4/5) MON-76 Mongoose
Zander Prunty (4/5) HER-5C Hermes II
Jalen Thorn (4/5) OTT-9CS Ostscout
Charles Meao (4/5) HER-4M Hermes
Alonzo Evening (4/5) MCY-102 Mercury
Michael Syria (4/5) HSR-500D Hussar

WoB Protectorate Militia Level II – “Rolling Thunder” (Active Turn 7)
Demi-Precentor Nick Tehler (2/3)   T-IT-N10M Grand Titan
Adept Sarah McAfee (3/4)      TDR-9M Thunderbolt     
Schrek PPC Carrier (4/5)
Schrek PPC Carrier (4/5)
Demon Tank (4/5)
Demon Tank (4/5)

Objectives:
#1 Get them out! (Reward: 500WP) – At least two of the Seventh Kommando units exit
#2 Objective raid. (Reward: 200WP) – Successfully scan the supply bunkers - FAILED

Special Rules:
Condition Feral – Dragoons get +1 modifier to gunnery or targeting if automatically lose initiative. Bonus lasts until enemy unit is destroyed.

Summary:
The Widows Support Lance did a fine job holding off the light Level II, primarily because Lt. Rondema's War Dog used her ECM to prevent the light mechs from using their many ER Medium lasers and C3i at longer ranges. 

As soon as Stacy Church arrived, she took down a Mercury with one shot, taking out a leg with her heavy PPC and damaging the pilot.  The next turn she cored out the engine on the Hussar.  The Mongoose was brought down by Lt. Rondema's gauss rifle.  Jacob's Uziel was able to take out the Hermes II, forcing it to withdraw.  The remaining Ostscout and Hermes fled.  Stacy was able to get all her troops aboard the dropship before Blakist reinforcements arrived.

Here, we see Michael Ramirez using partial cover and the rest of the Widow Support Lance forming up to prevent a Mongoose from flanking.

An overview of the action, the Hermes has run around the dropship to flank the Trebuchet while other Blakists snipe from long range.

Michael Ramirez takes on an advancing Hermes II

Orrin Fletcher has a difficult time targeting the fast moving Hermes

Stacy Church and the rest of the Command Lance arrive with the Seventh Kommandos.  A Blakist Mercury goes down with a single shot from Stacy's Zeus.

The surviving Blakists retreat in the face of the advancing Widows

« Last Edit: 15 May 2011, 13:50:20 by Alex Keller »

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2011, 04:45:48 »
this is excellent, thanks so much for posting it!
"I think it was two ninjas taped together to make one giant ninja!"

The First Proserpina Hussars were eager to fight the Smoke Jaguars, but the commanders assigned them to attack worlds held by Clan Nova Cat instead. They faced a hard fight on Kanowit, but took Mualang by winning a round of miniature golf. This obviously minimized further losses.

Brandydog

• Sergeant
    • Battletech Minis
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2011, 01:42:03 »
Awesome report  ;)

Not the vastness of space, nor the Wolf's obstinate howl, will stay us from our righteous goal.
We are Crusaders and will trample all who stand in our way!

MaxieTPB

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2011, 23:04:43 »
Awesome battle reports, looks like the two of you are having lots of fun.  :)

Wolf and Blake was the first book I bought upon my very recent return to playing Battletech, and I'm collecting Stacy's Black Widows now. I have the Black Widow's Command Lance box and a Gallowglas for Eirene, and I'm going to order the rest Payday. The only change I'm making is to sub a Catapult for Max's Cobra. I just don't like the Cobra mini and I don't want to pay archive prices for one. Hopefully the Catapult won't be considered cheesy.

I'm looking forwards to more of your Battle Reports!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2011, 23:15:40 »
Thanks, Maxie.  We substituted a Trebuchet for the Cobra.  I didn't have a Cobra and didn't like the miniature anyways... so the 'ol Trebuchet seemed like a good replacement.

MaxieTPB

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2011, 23:18:30 »
I think the Trebuchet is a fine replacement. I was glad to see that someone else doesn't like the Cobra.

I can't wait for the next report!  :)

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2011, 23:31:26 »
We just worked out the Black Widow's Chaos Campaign finances and it looks like they're going to be able to continue to the next Touchpoint.  It's going to be a very tough battle and I have a feeling that not all the Widows are going to make it...

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2011, 03:44:17 »
I think the Trebuchet is a fine replacement. I was glad to see that someone else doesn't like the Cobra.

I don't think you'll find yourself alone in this line of thinking.

sherlox

• Sergeant
  • "You rebel scum...wait, wrong universe"
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2011, 00:21:38 »
What is this next and most Ominous touchpoint?

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2011, 00:50:56 »
Touchpoint Saiph...  and a run in with a battle hardened merc unit with something to prove against the Widows. 

sherlox

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2011, 21:50:50 »
I believe in Stacy Church.  Still, looking forward to see how this turns out

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 05 June 2011, 21:20:37 »
Mission# 4: Touchpoint Saiph (-400WP)
Wu Bo Feng Highlands
Saiph, WOB Protectorate
20 March 3073

Black Widows:
Command Lance
   Capt. Stacy Church (1/2) ZEU-9WD Zeus-X
   Lt. Jacob Kincaid (2/3) UZL-2S Uziel
   Fancine (3/3) GRF-6S Griffin
   Calvin Magdaleno (2/3) BLR-4S Battlemaster
Support Lance
    Lt. Eirene Rondema (2/3) WR-DG-02FC War Dog
Supply Convoy
    Badger Tracked Transport (5/6)
    Badger Tracked Transport (5/6)
    Badger D Tracked Transport (5/6)
    Badger D Tracked Transport (5/6)

Mercenaries “Feingold’s Finest”: (Roll of 1 = 2 Medium, 4 Heavy & 2 Assault)
Command Lance
    Capt. Alexander Brandt (3/3) EMP-6D Emperor
    Lt. Bjorn Sorenson (3/3) FLS-8K Flashman
    Misty Compos (3/3) VTR-9K Victor
    Sarah Zellers (3/3) CTF-3L Cataphract
Support Lance
    Lt. Trevor Wilson (3/3) RFL-5M Rifleman
    Harvey Johnson (3/3) CPLT-C4 Catapult
    Vic Haskell (3/3) CN9-D Centurion
    Mary Trask (3/3) VND-3L Vindicator

Objectives:
#1 Covert Ops(Reward: 500WP) – At least 2 Badgers make it across the map to the other side - SUCCESSFUL
#2 Point to Prove (Reward: 400WP) – Cripple/Destroy half of Mercenary force - SUCCESSFUL

Special Rules:
Condition Feral – Dragoons get +1 modifier to gunnery or targeting if automatically lose initiative. Bonus lasts until enemy unit is destroyed. +1 bonus to consciousness checks.
Forced Withdrawal – Merc units withdraw when crippled

Game Setup:
The GeoHex mat has a dirt road running down the middle, with a lake and river blocking the north side and a thick forest blocking the south side.  Some large hills cover the northeast side of the mat. The Black Widows must escort the supply convoy from the west to the east.  The merc unit is blocking their way.

Summary:
After the Widows’ harrowing rescue and escape from Hall, the Widows were in dire need of resupply.  Many of the ‘Mechs, including Stacy’s own Zeus, did not have much ammunition left in their ammo bins.  Fortunately, the Wolfnet operators provided the Widows with the location of an old Wolfnet supply depot on Saiph.  The Widow's commander, Capt Stacy Church, just needed to sneak the supplies out past the defending Blakist Protectorate militia and mercenary units in the area.  Unfortunately, a young upstart mercenary unit on patrol discovered the Widows and thought they could make a name for themselves (and some extra money for the bounty on Stacy Church) by taking them down. 

At first glance, it looked like it was going to be a bloodbath.  Stacy Church needed to pull out all the stops to come out on top in this one.  She did not disappoint. Using the forest for cover, Church dispatched her lighter 'Mechs while her heavy hitters walked up the road in front of the transports.  The opposing mercs, known as Feingold's Finest, had ample time to set up sniping positions in the hills just north of the roadway.  Capt Feingold and his XO marched out in front to score some heavy damage.  It looked like disaster for the Widows when Calvin Magdaleno's Battlemaster was hit by several SRM's and LB-10X pellets in the head.  He went down and didn't respond to his lancemates' calls.  Blinded by rage, Stacy Church rushed to the forefront of the battle and her heavy PPC seared the head off the offending Vindicator.   In a furious flurry of lasers and missiles, the Widow Support Lance took down a Cataphract and Flashman in rapid succession.  Feingold's own Emperor came close to shutting down as he held his finger on the trigger, desperately hoping his paired RAC-5 autocannons would ward off the advancing Widows.  His 'mech overheated and with the loss of the Rifleman, Feingold signaled his remaining units to stand down.  Calvin Magdaleno was immediately evacuated to the dropship and is listed in critical condition. 

A view of the battlefield

The Black Widows (Command and Support Lances) & supply convoy (Badger Transports)

Feingold's Finest scrambles to find firing positions along the roadside

The Widows discovery the trap and scramble into action!

Capt Church orders the Widows into the forest.

And there was A FIREFIGHT!!!  The Widows and Finest engage at range. The Flashman is singled out while Max Hendrickson's Trebuchet takes minor damage.  The Trebuchet, Griffin and Dervish are jumping about in the forest.

Capt. Feingold's battle line is exposed, his support lance is having trouble hitting.

A Finest Victor moves in to score some hits against Orrin Fletcher's Dervish, but his Gauss misses at such a close range.  Lt. Jacob Kincaid moves his Uziel in to assist, pouring laser and autocannon fire into the Victor, forcing the Victor pilot to take a knee after sustaining significant damage, thereby preventing the Victor from kicking the Dervish.

Capt. Feingold finds himself dangerously exposed as he attempts to cover the withdrawal of the Flashman and Cataphract.

Feingold orders his troops to concentrate fire on the Battlemaster that keeps advancing down the road.

Massed fire brings down the Battlemaster.   A Badger crew disembarks to check on the young Mechwarrior.  They find him bleeding and unconscious, his legs seem to be crushed under the control panel.

Feingold loses a Cataphract in the exchange.

Furious at the loss of her warrior, Stacy Church races forward.  The Victor tries to stop her but Lt. Rondema's War Dog puts him down with a Gauss Rifle to the arm and Large Pulse Laser to the head.  The convoy of Badgers add to the Victor pilot's misery with a withering hail of medium laser fire.  The Victor's Gauss Rifle explodes, further injuring the Mechwarrior, rendering him unconscious.  The Victor crumples to the ground and Rondema kicks it's leg off for good measure.

The result of Stacy's battle charge.... her PPC took off the Vindicator's head. 

The Widows continue along the forest.

Here you can see the Widows finally downed the Flashman and Rifleman in the back. 

At this point, Feingold's Emperor is having serious heat management issues as a missile knocks engine shielding surrounding the 'Mech's fusion engine.

Max Hendrickson's Trebuchet has significant battle damage.  He closed up close to the cliff face to avoid the Catapult's hail of LRM-20s.  Capt Feingold surrendered soon after Max and Jacob Kincaid downed the Rifleman.

« Last Edit: 05 June 2011, 22:36:02 by Alex Keller »

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 05 June 2011, 22:34:21 »
The Widows are now in a good financial position.  They were able to repair and rearm all mechs.  The Dropship is repaired from some minor damage it sustained in the escape on Hall.  Spirits among the Widows are low, however.  Calvin Magdaleno remains in critical condition and he will most likely not be joining his lancemates for some time.  Both his legs were broken and he suffered a punctured lung.  Capt. Church arranged for a team of Sevens to take him into their care where he will be healing for the next several months. This is particularly devastating for Calvin Magdaleno as he languished in a MASH unit for most of a year after the bombing of Harlech in 3067.  Calvin's Battlemaster, the Ramon, is being held in trust by a team of Sevens.

Capt Church, recognizing she was short a trooper, sent a request for a replacement to General Maeve Wolf.  General Wolf replied with a list of potential recruits from respected AMC mercenary outfits in the region. Amongst the list of potential recruits, Capt Church decided to visit Kristofur Blaine, formerly of the 13th Stalking Horse. The 13th Stalking Horse was known for their near fanatical hatred of the Word of Blake as well as their unorthodox tactics. Church had fought alongside Blaine in combined AMC operations and remembered his performances there.  Blaine was quick to sign on and he is currently getting used to his new ride...   

a refurbished MAD-4S!

« Last Edit: 05 June 2011, 22:47:32 by Alex Keller »

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #25 on: 06 June 2011, 03:23:25 »
A nice new Addition to the unit.
Shame about the circumstances.

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #26 on: 06 June 2011, 04:30:17 »
Awesome, loving your terrain, keep it coming.

The First Proserpina Hussars were eager to fight the Smoke Jaguars, but the commanders assigned them to attack worlds held by Clan Nova Cat instead. They faced a hard fight on Kanowit, but took Mualang by winning a round of miniature golf. This obviously minimized further losses.

MaxieTPB

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 06 June 2011, 09:55:32 »
Excellent battle report. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 06 June 2011, 23:38:41 »
It'll probably be a couple weeks before we can get the next scenario in, but it's Touchpoint: Formalhaut if you're following along.  The last Touchpoint was 20 March 3073.  This next one is 29 July 3073... so we've got some time.   ;)

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 06 June 2011, 23:43:22 »
A nice new Addition to the unit.
Shame about the circumstances.

Thanks, yeah I think she'll like how the new MAD-4S works.  Calvin should be good to go by the time the Widows finally meet the Opacus Venatori in April 3074.  It'll have been a year after his injury. 

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: 15 August 2011, 10:35:51 »
Mission# 5: SPECIAL - Elgin (-400WP)
0400hrs - Near Vikram
Elgin, WOB Protectorate
14 July 3073

Capt. Church,

My team of Sevens have discovered the current location of our captured Wolfnet analysts from our mission on Elgin a few months ago.  We’ve devised a rescue plan that requires your help. 

The Word of Blake has transferred the analysts to Reeducation Camp RFC-034 on Elgin.  We have reason to believe that they are to be transferred off planet for further interrogation in the next few weeks. 

Our plan is to jump in to the system at a pirate Lagrange Point and quickly detach our two dropships.  The plan requires your Recon Lance to join up with us while the rest of your Widows act as a diversionary force to draw defenders away from the reeducation camp.  Your dropship will make best speed to Nav Point Alpha, the location of a Blakist supply depot near Vikram. The supply depot is moderately defended and there and the area is defended by the same Blakist Protectorate Militia as last time.  Once you land, advance towards the supply depot at Nav Point Beta but avoid contact with the enemy and do not let them cut you off from your dropship.

Meanwhile, my team of Sevens and Lt. Rolfe’s recon lance will link up with the rest of my team near the reeducation camp at Nav Point Gamma. This is going to be a high altitude orbital drop so we’ll be outfitting your BattleMechs with detachable jump packs.  With the bulk of the Blakists reacting toward your supply run attack, we expect defenses to be alert but reduced.  Our team’s primary objectives are the Communication Tower and the Power Generator.  This will delay the arrival of reinforcements in the area as well as deactivate the automated turret grid defending the camp.  Once the attack commences, Lt. Rolfe’s Recon Lance must engage the remaining defenders to allow my extraction team to enter and extract our prisoners. 

/S/ Whitehorse

ATTACKERS
Black Widows:
Recon Lance
   Lt. Wyatt Rolfe (2/3) WLF-4WA Wolfhound
   Niel Gibson (3/4) FFL-4DA Firefly
   Halle Yost (2/3) CDA-3F  Cicada
   Russel Madison (3/3) LCT-6M Locust
Seventh Kommandos:
    Cobra VTOL (3/4)
    Supply Truck (3/4)

DEFENDERS
Word of Blake Militia - Level II
    INI-02 Initiate (4/5) - On Patrol
    WSP-3L Wasp (4/5) - On Patrol
    KTO-21 Kintaro (4/5) - In Hangar, pilot in barracks
    STN-3L Sentinel (4/5) - In Hangar, pilot in barracks
    Pinto VTOL (4/5) - Long Range Patrol
    Pinto VTOL (4/5) - Long Range Patrol
Fixed Defenses
    Command Bunker 01 – Infantry Squad (Laser) (4/-)
    Command Bunker 02 – Infantry Squad (Laser) (4/-)
    Weapon Bunker 03 – AC/10    (4/-)
    Weapon Bunker 04 – AC/10    (4/-)
    Weapon Bunker 05 – AC/10 (4/-)
    Automated LRM Turret – 2x LRM-15s (5/-)
    Automated SRM Turret – 2x SRM-6 (5/-)
    Automated SRM Turret – 2x SRM-6 (5/-)
    Automated Gauss Turret – Gauss Rifle    (5/-)
    Automated Gauss Turret – Gauss Rifle (5/-)

OBJECTIVES:
#1 Covert Ops (Reward: 0WP) – Rescue Wolfnet prisoners from WoB reeducation camp - SUCCESSFUL
#2 Destroy Communications Tower (Reward: 0WP) – Destroy Comm Tower before Alarm sounds - SUCCESSFUL
#3 Deactivate Turret Grid (Reward: 0WP) - Destroy Power Generator - SUCCESSFUL

SPECIAL RULES:
Dawn - Apply +1 penalty to all weapons attacks.  Apply -1 modifier to all targets that have 25 heat or more.
Forced Withdrawal – WoB units withdraw when crippled

Game Setup:
The GeoHex mat has a dirt road running into the prison camp.  The camp is surrounded by hills and has an automated turret defense system as well as hardened weapons bunkers and a Level II assigned to defend. 

Summary:
The loss of Wolfnet operatives on Elgin did not sit well with Captain Stacy Church.  When Peter Whitehorse informed her of an opportunity to rescue the prisoners, Stacy jumped at the opportunity despite the great risks and lack of rewards for success.  The Widows and Sevens executed the operation flawlessly, with zero casualties and all objectives achieved. 

An overhead view of the prison camp.  The camp is surrounded by hills.

The hills are full of defense turrets.  Getting through undetected is going to be tricky.

A pair of Pinto VTOLs leave to assist against the diversionary attack led by Capt Church.

Two Battlemechs remain in the repair hangar.

Lt. Rolfe's lance holds out behind the woods to avoid detection by the automated defense grid's rotating active sensor.  Meanwhile, two Seventh Kommandos drive a captured supply truck up the dirt road towards the camp.  The plan is to get into the base and sabotage the comm tower and power generator from within.

The road goes right by two large hardened bunkers.  Hopefully the ruse will work... 

The 'Mech patrol passes by and does not find the Widows hiding in the forest.  Note Russell Madison's Locust hiding in the trees in the background.

After a few tense moments, the the WoB guards allow the supply truck to to move into the camp.  The team of Kommandos jump out and silently make their way to their objectives.

Madison moves up behind the shadow of a hill to prepare to take out the power generator in case the Kommando operation against the power generator fails. 

On the other side, Halle Yost carefully avoids the moving sensor sweeps as she moves into a long range firing position to take out the comm tower in case the Kommando operation fails.

The Kommando attack against the comm tower fails (needed roll of 7+, rolled a 4) but the attack on the generator succeeds (needed 10+, rolled 11).  Halle Yost's PPC shot comes through, however, and both targets are destroyed before a warning can be sent to the Pintos and other forces in the area.  Peter Whitehorse's Kommandos jam the Battlemech's communications systems to prevent them from requesting backup.

Whitehorse's Cobra VTOL moves in towards the prison grounds.

Meanwhile, two WoB Mechwarriors come out of the barracks, sprinting to their machines in the hangar bay.

Whitehorse guns one of the Mechwarriors down from his Cobra, Madison squishes the other under the foot of his Locust.

The WoB Initiate is too late to protect the poor Mechwarrior from getting stomped on.  "Just like squishing grapes," Madison quips.

Lt. Rolfe braves a hardened AC/10 bunker as he advances on the camp.

The Initiate and Wasp move to protect the prison camp.

Lt. Rolfe and Niel Gibson make their way towards the prison to help fight of the Initiate and Wasp now that they've arrived.

Halle Yost advances from the other side and jumps into the prison yard to provide cover for the Cobra VTOL now that it's landing to pick up the prisoners. The Wasp is heating up from stealth armor and jumping and misses the Cobra.

Madison uses his quick speed to outmaneuver the Initiate and he lands solid shots against the Initiate's weaker rear armor.  Madison then gives the Initiate a quick kick for good measure. 

A general brawl ensues as the rest of the Widow Recon Lance arrives. The Wasp walks up the the Cobra and uses a rocket attack and kick to nearly take out the front of the transport, but the Cobra's armor holds. 

The Wasp's center armor is nearly gone, with just 3 points of internal structure remaining.  The Wasp loses a right arm (and the last weapon) and must retreat under Forced Withdrawal.  Lt. Rolfe pursues.

Madison and Yost team up on the Initiate.

One of the medium lasers punches through and finds the Initiate's LRM ammunition.  A massive explosion causes the Initiate's left arm to fly off.  The MechWarrior remains conscious but fails to stand.

With both enemy 'Mechs out of the picture, the Widows retreat in good order.  Another successful mission for the Widows, who continue to remain one step ahead of the Word of Blake!!!

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #31 on: 16 August 2011, 03:58:29 »
I love reading these!

yergerjo

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 16 August 2011, 14:20:31 »
I love your terrain.
Physical attacks for Griffin GRF-1DS (Bot1)
Punch (Right Arm) at Summoner Prime #2 (Jade_Falcon); needs 6, rolls 10 : hits (using Punch table) HD
Summoner Prime #2 (Jade_Falcon) takes 6 damage to HD. Armor destroyed, <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
*** Summoner Prime #2 (Jade_Falcon) DESTROYED by damage! ***
Critical hit on HD. Roll is 9; 1 location.
<<<CRITICAL HIT>>> on Standard Cockpit.

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 16 August 2011, 16:07:23 »
I love reading the AAR's in this forum, but Alex, these are some of the best I read.  I really enjoy them.  Please keep us posted on Captain Church and her new Widows.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 17 August 2011, 22:04:57 »
Thanks for the comments.  This was one of the more interesting missions.  It could have very easily turned into a nightmare for the Black Widows but for some good fortune and solid playing by the Widows commander.  The turrets would have been quite deadly had they been activated.  The Widows player skillfully moved a sniper into position as backup. (Halle Yost in her Cicada has a -2 targeting bonus with her ER PPC at long range) It was good fortune that the Cicada was able to get in close after the sensor swept the area just as the Kommandos attacked the tower and generator. 

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 22 August 2011, 20:56:09 »
The last mission really set the Widows back financially.  The cost of the huge covert operation depleted the Widow's financial accounts as it was strictly a rescue mission.  So the Widows will need to go into Warchest Debt on their next mission...

Looking at a Supply run on Capolla. 

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #36 on: 23 August 2011, 05:23:00 »
How brutal, very keen to see the next installment

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #37 on: 30 August 2011, 08:02:09 »
Just found this thread. Keep up the good work as it makes for an interesting read.
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

RJM

• Sergeant
  • "How do I define honor? Success." -Vlad Ward
« Reply #38 on: 31 August 2011, 01:20:34 »
Just found this thread. Keep up the good work as it makes for an interesting read.

Same here!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 09 September 2011, 11:45:16 »
Mission# 6: SUPPLY - Capolla (-75WP)
0231hrs - Carson Town
Capolla, WOB Protectorate
27 July 3073

Stacy Church winced as she choked down yet another warm protein drink.  She fought an urge to spit the foul tasting liquid back up and then tossed the plastic container into a dark corner where it bounced off the floor several times before rolling to a stop beside her boots.  She sat alone at a small desk within her command quarters aboard the Black Widow's dropship.  Papers and data chips littered the desk as well as her small bunk, some papers had even fallen to the floor.  The room was dark, aside from the soft glow of her noteputer.  Stacy forced herself to relax her shoulders as she tried to massage some of the ache in her left shoulder that wouldn't seem to go away.  The last couple of weeks had been grueling.  After the successful rescue mission on Elgin, the Widows had been on the run and dangerously low on supplies.  With the entire Blakist Protectorate aware of her activities, it was getting harder and harder to raid for supplies.  Just one wrong step and her entire unit would be dead.  Or worse...  Soft knocking at the door woke Stacy from her thoughts. "Come in," she said.

A short man in a black leather jacket with large red and black patches on both shoulders walked through.  It was Lieutenant Jacob Kincaid, Stacy's executive officer.  Jacob rendered a quick salute before dropping a stack of papers on Stacy's desk. "Whitehorse says the op is a go. We should be touching down outside of Carson in less than two hours."

Stacy leaned back in her chair and raised an eyebrow.  "And these?" she said, pointing to the new stack of papers.

Jacob smiled, a rare thing in itself.  "Intel," he said. "We've got a target.  Real juicy. Whitehorse says we can grab it all if we can get past the local militia." Jacob paused and his smile dropped.

"What?" Stacy asked. It wasn't like Jacob to hold back.

"Whitehorse says there's something hunting us.  Some kind of special forces unit." Another pause.  "They killed Harrison." 

Stacy held Jacob's gaze for a moment then looked down at the stack of intel papers.  Another Wolfnet operative gone forever.  "Well," she said with finality, "they're not catching us.  Have the techs prep my 'Mech.  The Widow hunts tonight." 

ATTACKERS
Black Widows:
Command Lance
   Kristofur Blaine MAD-4S Marauder II
   Francine (3/3) GRF-6S Griffin

DEFENDERS
Planetary Militia - Mixed Lance
    VND-4L Vindicator (3/3)
    UM-R60 UrbanMech (4/5)
    RVN-3L Raven (4/5)
    Hetzer WAG (4/5)
    Hetzer WAG (4/5

OBJECTIVES:
#1 Search Objective (Reward: 100WP) – Determine which two buildings contain supplies - SUCCESSFUL
#2 Resist! (Reward: 100WP) – At least half of Widows must survive ten turns of combat - SUCCESSFUL

SPECIAL RULES:
Moonless Night - Apply +3 penalty to all weapons attacks.  Apply -1 modifier to all targets that have 15 heat or more.
Commander - One of Militia force is a 3/3 field commander.
Salvage - In effect only if Widows complete both objectives.

Game Setup:
The GeoHex city mat has a small communications and supply depot on the NW corner.  Two supply buildings are in the depot, the other two are on the East side of the city. 

Summary:

An overhead view of Carson town.  A few brave members of Capolla's planetary militia stand ready to defend a supply depot.

Mike "Kill Shot" Liu stands ready in his vintage UM-R60 UrbanMech.

Stacy Church advances into Carson, a city ravaged by years of warfare.  Her targeting and tracking system tell her there are enemy 'Mechs in the area.  "Stay tight, people," she orders.  It's difficult to make out anything amongst the dark shadows of a ruined city.

Without warning, a militia Vindicator leaps up onto a building right in front of Stacy.  "Contact!" she yells as she jams her fingers down on the firing studs in her hand.  Her hastily fired weapons miss.  The Vindicator's PPC strikes her Zeus' torso, but her advanced Blue Shield Project particle dampener softens the blow.

A militia Raven moves in to take a shot at Stacy Church.  The Raven is unable to score any hits.

Stacy moves on, undeterred by the appearance of two Battlemechs.  She advances forward and begins to scan the warehouse the Vindicator stood on.  She spots an UrbanMech on the main avenue.  "That's three confirmed 'Mechs," she warns.  What else is she going to find here?

Meanwhile, the newest member of the Black Widows, Kristofur Blaine, finds himself the object of a lot of attention.  The Vindicator and Raven are now pressing the attack.  Kristofur's massive Marauder II shrugs off the damage.

The Raven pilot is aware of how exposed he is an attempts to run away, but the 'Mech's feet lose traction and the 'Mech falls down, sliding into the ruins of an abandoned building.

Kristofur ignores the fallen Raven and pursues the Vindicator, hoping for a good shot on through the rear armor.  Unfortunately, Kristofur's heavy Gauss slug and ER PPC's miss.  Kristofur is beginning to understand that it's nearly impossible to hit at night if he jumps.

Meanwhile, Francine has successfully scanned a warehouse in the NE corner and emerges just in time to shoot down an advancing Hetzer.  She scores an amazing shot with her PPC and LRM-15, coring out the rear of the Hetzer.  Stacy finishes scanning the warehouse in the SE corner. 

The Militia forces attempt to disengage and regroup.  More shots are traded in the dark, but most weapons miss.

Francine manages to jump behind the Raven, but her shots go astray.

The Militia forces regroup around "Kill Shot" Liu just outside the supply depot.  Kristofur's Marauder II advances.

The Vindicator jumps into the supply depot to take partial cover behind the gate.  The Raven runs to support "Kill Shot" but Kristofur catches him before he can make it into cover.  The Marauder II's massive heavy Guass slug and PPC core right through the Raven's center, tearing out the 'Mech's gyro and engine.  The Raven skids to a halt just in front of "Kill Shot," it's pilot unconscious and bleeding.  "Kill Shot's" autocannon roars to life, plinking away at the Marauder's armor. 

"Kill Shot" keeps his fingers down on the firing button.  All he needs is one good shot at the cockpit and he'll have accomplished the impossible.  But luck is not with him tonight.  He narrowly misses the Marauder's cockpit (rolled 11, needed 12) and scores more damage on the Marauder's left arm.  Kristofur Blaine brings the full might of his 100 ton beast down on the little UrbanMech, touching off autocannon ammunition.  A massive explosion rips the Urbie in two as the top half of the torso blows off.  That's another kill for Kristofur!

Francine sneaks her Griffin into the supply depot and scores shots on the Vindicator's right torso.  The Vindicator snaps off a PPC shot of his own, but Francine's reflective armor (and glancing blow rules) mean that a 10 pt weapon only does 2 points of damage! 

The Widows press the attack from all sides.  Though battered, the Vindicator weathers the storm. 

Just when victory for the Widow's seems imminent, the unthinkable happens.  Stacy fumbles a turn and falls down.  The Vindicator pilot, eager to exact revenge, jumps into better firing position.

The Hetzer finally emerges from the depot to score a large autocannon hit on the Marauder's left leg. The Vindicator also targets the Marauder, but neither can score any critical hits.

The Widows combine to pour more fire into the Vindicator.  Most of the shots miss due to the darkness and jumpiness of the target.

The Militia win initiative again and the Vindicator hopes to score a shot into the Marauder's rear armor.  The Vindy hits an arm instead.  What a mess!

Kristofur swivels his torso towards the Hetzer.  BOOM!  A heavy gauss slug punches through and cores the Hetzer.  That's three kills for Kristofur.

Alone and outnumbered, the Vindicator retreats.  Stacy's heavy PPC vaporizes the Vindicator's right arm, effectively destroying the Vindicator's combat capability.  The Widows control the field!!!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 09 September 2011, 12:16:48 »
Finances are in good order.  Repairing the MAD-4S was expensive (-80WP) but needed to be done. Stacy's Zeus has some minor damage, so does Francine's Griffin, but all 'Mechs are fully loaded with ammunition. After selling off all the damaged salvaged mechs (and 2 new ones) the Widows come out at +440WP.  That's enough to send them to the next TouchPoint.  Terra Firma here we come! (First showdown with Opacus Venatori!!!)

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #41 on: 10 September 2011, 07:48:00 »
very nice, especially love the terrain and mat!

txMaddog

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 11 September 2011, 04:41:53 »
Love the AAR's!  Terrain is very cool and good job on the paint jobs!
Fan Fund the SC-V-1 "Vampyr" ScavengerMech!!  Why should the combat pilots have all the fun??

sherlox

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 12 September 2011, 07:04:08 »
Oh, the Marauder II is beautiful.  Just enough red to set off the glossy black, it looks absolutely lethal.  Seems like the Widows have a new  walking target as well

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 12 September 2011, 11:25:30 »
Oh, the Marauder II is beautiful.  Just enough red to set off the glossy black, it looks absolutely lethal.  Seems like the Widows have a new  walking target as well

Haha.  Nessa said she's learning why you love slow moving assaults so much.  Slow and steady advances, blasting everything in its path.

sherlox

• Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 12 September 2011, 12:42:27 »
Haha.  Nessa said she's learning why you love slow moving assaults so much.  Slow and steady advances, blasting everything in its path.

Line of death!   Nothing like a wall of high-end assaults coming at you to inspire fear

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 13 September 2011, 16:12:19 »
An overhead view of Carson town.  A few brave members of Capolla's planetary militia stand ready to defend a supply depot.

Great game and good description.  [rockon]
May i ask where are the two unpainted buildings from? That one on the top left and that on the middle right. Those are looking very good.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 13 September 2011, 16:35:50 »
Thank you.  The buildings are from JR Miniatures. 

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 27 September 2011, 16:58:57 »
I know it's been a couple weeks, but you all are in store for some major action.  Here's a taste of the next installment.  We're planning to

Mission# 7: TOUCHPOINT – Terra Firma (-400WP)
1636hrs – Backlick Pass, Turbine Mountains
Terra Firma, WOB Protectorate
4 August 3073

Dark clouds covered the sky as heavy rain came thundering down on Stacy’s ferroglass windshield.  Though the ferroglass was thick enough to stop a laser blast, Stacy could still hear the heavy pounding drops as they beat down on her war machine.  Inside, Stacy was high and dry, warmed by the gentle thrumming of her Zeus’s fusion engine.  The planet’s heavy gravity forced her deep into her padded command seat.  She adjusted a restraining strap over her shoulder, flexed her gloved hand and finger browsed through a choice of options to switch her primary monitor screen to a satellite feed displaying a topographic map of the surrounding area. Blue and green lights lit up an otherwise dark and cramped cockpit.  It was getting awfully difficult to navigate in this mess.  Outside, the rain was turning her Widow’s supply run into a crawl as the rain soaked the steep slopes of Backlick Pass and turned the bottom into a small stream.  She could barely make out the hulking black silhouette of Kristofur Blaine’s Marauder just a few dozen meters in front as Blaine picked his way through the wet forest bordering the stream and avoided a particularly treacherous rocky outcropping.  A small speaker system inside Stacy’s neurohelmet crackled to life and a metallic female voice filled the silence.

“You sure this is the pass?”  It was Liutenant Eirene Rondema, in charge of the Widow’s support lance.  Rondema had grown ever more cautious since their battle against the mercenaries on Saiph.  After all that Eirene had seen on Outreach… the fall of the Wolf, the loss of Harlech… the months of resistance fighting in the Outback… Stacy was sure that nothing would faze Eirene.  But seeing Calvin Magdaleno go down had changed her. 

“Da. This is it.  You keep marching.” a gruff and heavily Russian accented voice replied. That would be Captain Vladimir Matviyenko, the leader of Terra Firma’s resistance fighters.  He might not have the best manners, but he had kept his small band of guerilla fighters alive for the better part of a year.  Though the populace of Terra Firma no longer supported the Word of Blake, the Word still maintained a large military force on planet

Lighting flashed outside, temporarily lighting up the sky and Stacy caught a glimpse of Matviyenko’s battle-scarred Nightstar coming up beside Blaine’s Marauder.  A loud and thunderous boom shook the sky and reverberated through the pass as the rain continued to pour down.   Stacy readjusted her helmet mic and cut into the conversation.  “Captain Matviyenko, satellite imagery shows the pass is narrowing.  I’m calling it.  We’ll set up here.  Ramirez, Fletcher, take first watch.”

“Nyet! Keep marching.  We must make it to camp tonight.”  Stacy could hear the urgency in Matviyenko’s voice. 

Michael Ramirez interjected before Stacy could reply. “Captain, I’ve got something.  I’m detecting at least three contacts.  270 degrees, almost two klicks and closing.”   Stacy flipped off her satellite uplink, toggled her Blue Shield Particle Field Damper system and gripped her controls.  Her Zeus shifted slightly as she turned to meet the new threat. 

A new voice soon entered Stacy’s ear.  It sounded clear and eerily digitized over her communications system. “Ah.  The notorious Black Widow Company.  I’ve been looking for you.”

Stacy throttled up her machine and took two cautious steps forward.  She tried to pierce through the darkness and falling rain outside, but she could see no signs of movement other than the flood of mud and broken branches coming down the pass.  “Ramirez, SITREP,” she commanded.  A hiss of static was her only answer.  “Ramirez! Report!”  Still nothing.

The clear digital voice returned.  “You disappoint me. I expected greater things from you, Stacy Church.  You showed such… promise.”  The voice was unnerving.

Stacy flipped her communications system to the open channel.  “This is Stacy Church of the Black Widow Company.  Wolf’s Dragoons.  Words are but wind.  Identify yourself!”   The rest of her Black Widows were now clustering up with her.  Their presence gave her strength.  She could see Jacob Kincaid’s Uziel taking cover behind a small hill.  Francine’s Griffin took shelter in a cluster of trees while Eirene’s War Dog stepped into the clear out in front of Max Hendrickson’s Trebuchet.  The rain continued to pour.

Far ahead through the gloom, she could see the trees rustle, as though they were parting for some large train.  Suddenly a huge machine emerged from the dark forest and stepped into the clearing.  Rivulets of rainwater poured down the sharp creases of the machine to splatter more mud about its feet.  A light cloud of steam worked its way up and over the machine’s broad shoulders before dissipating into the cold sky.   Scarlet paint with gold trim.  Stacy had never seen anything like it.

“Foolish Frail!  Even now you have no idea of the forces arrayed against you.  For months you have eluded us, but now you face wrath of Blake.  Blake’s cold judgment is coming.  For you.  For all of you.” 

ATTACKERS
Black Widows:
Command Lance
   Lt. Jacob Kincaid (2/3) UZL-2S
Support Lance
    Michael Ramirez (3/4) ARC-8M Archer (5 points of random damage)
Guerilla Lance
    Capt.  Vladimir Matviyenko (4/5) NSR-9J Nightstar (5 points of random damage)
    Silvia Li (4/5) GLT-3N Guillotine (6 points of random damage)
    Wesley Harrington (4/5) WVR-7H Wolverine (8 points of random damage)
    Zhou Xia-Ren (4/5) GLT-3N Guillotine (15 points of random damage)

DEFENDERS
Opacus Venatori
    Precentor Berith (1*/2*) C-ANG-O Archangel Invictus
    Demi Kendali Moris (3*/3*) C-PRT-O Preta Invictus
    Mi Tomitaki (3*/2*) C-GRG-O Grigori  Luminos
    Rufus Black Bear (4*/4*) C-GRG-O Grigori Invictus
    Havalah Cazer (3/3) C-SRP-O Seraph Invictus
    Achillius St. John (4*/1*) C-DVA-O Deva Invictus

Protectorate Militia
    Schlomo Katarn (4/5) KTO-21 Kintaro
    Neville Patowski (4/5) STN-3L Sentinel

OBJECTIVES:
#1 Training Day (Reward: 500WP) – At least one of the Guerilla units must survive -
#2 Hammer (Reward: 500WP) – Cripple/destroy at least half of the opposing force -

SPECIAL RULES:
Heavy Rainfall: Apply a +1 to-hit modifier to all weapon attacks and a +1 Piloting skill modifier
Heavy Gravity 1.2Gs: (3/5=>2/4) (4/6=>3/5) (5/8=>4/7) (6/9=>5/7) (7/11=>5/9) 
Forced Withdrawal: Guerilla and Militia are operating under Forced Withdrawal
Condition Feral – Dragoons get either piloting or gunnery bonus by automatically losing initiative for that turn.  +1 to all Dragoon consciousness rolls. 
Salvage – The winner receives salvage only if second objective (Hammer) is attained

txMaddog

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 28 September 2011, 02:57:22 »
Yea more AAR's!!  Things look dire for our Merry Band!

10 C-Bills says Neville Patowski (4/5) STN-3L Sentinel takes out Stacy Church!  ;)
Fan Fund the SC-V-1 "Vampyr" ScavengerMech!!  Why should the combat pilots have all the fun??

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 28 September 2011, 10:47:03 »
Hahaha!  Neville Patowski's Sentinel looks pretty weak... I'm thinking the Deva has the best chance of killing one of the Widows with its Gauss Rifle. 

sherlox

• Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 28 September 2011, 14:44:15 »
If the Widows can bring down that Deva and Grigori, then it would one rather toothless Level II.... though i hope the Widows know to avoid those blades!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 28 September 2011, 15:11:44 »
It's going to be a knife fight!!!!  8) 

Both Kendali Morris (Preta) and Achilius St. Johns (Deva) excel at physical combat.  Throw in the fact that the Widows will probably be losing initiative to gain gunnery/piloting bonuses and Berith's +2 Initiative Bonus and it's going to get bloody because the Opacus Venatori are going to be able to pick and choose range or else close to physical combat.  I think Cazer's Seraph also has TSM meaning that the we're looking at big time damage from kicks (34 damage) and punches (18 damage).  I know that Francine's Griffin has reflective armor, meaning double damage from physical attacks or falls.  So a kick from Cazer to Francine could do up to 64 points of damage. 

sherlox

• Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 29 September 2011, 10:45:10 »
And that rainfalls does wonders for fights too.... woo.  Carnage - I genuinely have no idea what to expect from this!  MAN am I excited!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 29 September 2011, 12:32:27 »
The battle takes place tonight.  Should have a full report for you in 24hrs

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 30 September 2011, 11:56:33 »
Turns out 20 units plus Terra Firma's heavy gravity on a large board makes for long turns.  We're in turn 4, no casualties yet.  Plan is to finish later tonight. 

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #56 on: 30 September 2011, 22:51:21 »
meat grinder!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 01 October 2011, 00:53:41 »
Meat grinder is right.  Both Stacy and Berith are playing it cautious.  Berith's Heavy PPC vaporized Capt Matviyenko in his Nightstar's cockpit.  Kristofur Blaine's Marauder punched a heavy gauss straight through poor little Neville Patowski's center torso.  Took out everything with it on the other side... Currently on turn 11ish...  Calling it for the night.  Until tomorrow!

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #58 on: 01 October 2011, 05:00:20 »
awesome :D

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 02 October 2011, 15:56:54 »
Mission 7 - TOUCHPOINT - Terra Firma

Summary:
Stacy Church and her Black Widow Company begin to enter Backlick Pass.  Kristofur Blaine is taking point in his Marauder II, while Capt. Matviyenko follows close behind in his Nightstar.  Some heavy assault machines on the move!

Berith's Archangel emerges from the forest, steam rising up as the rain continues to pour down.  “Foolish Frail!  Even now you have no idea of the forces arrayed against you.  For months you have eluded us, but now you face wrath of Blake.  Blake’s cold judgment is coming.  For you.  For all of you.” 

Both sides size each other up through the pass.

Michael Ramirez takes a few long range shots in his Archer, but he's unable to score any damage at long range.

Stacy Church orders her company to higher ground.  "Widow's, spread out and take firing positions." Max Hendrickson's Trebuchet jumps up into a nice firing position on the left while Orrin Fletcher and Francine take positions on the right. 

Michael Ramirez continues to hold his position as the Blakists advance down the ravine.  His long range missiles begin to pepper the Blakist forces.

The Widows take position while the Opacus Venatori boldly rush in.  Ramirez is singling out the Opacus Venatory Deva.  Capt Matviyenko also rushes in to close with the Blakists.

Kendali Morris and Black Bear Rufus take their shots at Capt Matviyenko.  The heavy rain makes the long range shots too difficult, even for elite Opacus Venatori soldiers.

More sniping fire across the ravine.  The WoB Militia units (in white) arrive to reinforce Berith and his Opacus Venatori.

Mi Tomitaki (Grigori Luminos) goes toe-to-toe with Matviyenko's Nightstar.  Tomitaki absorbs some serious damage but remains standing.  Achillius St. Johns' Deva takes critical damage to it's Heavy Duty Gyro thanks to missile damage from Ramirez and Hendrickson.  (Condition Feral is really helping the Widows make these difficult shots count!)

Both Tomitaki and St. Johns retreat after taking significant damage.  Matviyenko's Nightstar holds ground with Kristofur Blain's Marauder providing backup.

Ramirez takes more cover as he continues to rain missiles down from the flank.

The rest of the Widows are now in better firing positions.  Stacy seems to approve of her unit's tactical formation as she observes from the backfield.

Blaine's Marauder II cores poor Neville Patowski's Sentinel as a heavy gauss slug rips right through the Sentinel's center torso.  First blood to the Widows!

Meanwhile... Berith lines up a shot. 

ZAAAP!  Berith's heavy PPC vaporizes Capt Matviyenko in his cockpit.  The lifeless machine crumples to the ground.

Berith presses his Shadow Hunters on the attack.

The Widows' resolve is strong.

Ramirez continues to pound on St. Johns' Deva.  St. Johns stays on his feet, his own weapons hit the hill.  He takes enough damage to force withdrawal. Good use of cover by the Widows.

Stacy Church advances from the backfield and lines up a shot.  Her heavy PPC scores a glancing blow across the WoB Kintaro's torso while her autocannon drills into the Kintaro's leg.

The Kintaro pilot is unable to remain standing and he falls down.

Lots of missle and PPC fire.  The Widows seem to be connecting more often then the Blakists...

The Widows advance through the pass to press an advantage of numbers and firepower.

With two of his units under forced withdrawal and a lost Militia unit, Berith sees the writing on the wall and orders his unit to retreat.

Kendali Morris moves over to the right flank to take some pressure off of St. Johns.  Ramirez is sufficiently distracted.

Havalah Cazer's Seraph draws the most fire as the Opacus Venatori lead an orderly retreat.

Both St. Johns and Tomitaki turn to present their rear armor.  Tomitaki's Grigori Luminos has two engine hits, a gyro hit and a broken hip.  Only her superior piloting skills keep her 'Mech on its feet.

Tomitaki uses her advanced jump jets to retreat since her hip and the high gravity make running very slow indeed.  Needing a 7 to remain standing, Tomitaki fails and takes more damage when her Grigori hits the ground. 

The Widows continue to press the attack, hoping to get one last kill or forced withdrawal before the Blakists can complete their retreat.

But the Blakists make it off the field.  Berith is the last to leave.  "This is not over," he vows.  And with that, the Opacus Venatori disappear back into the wet forest.

Another victory for Stacy Church and the Black Widow Company!

The Black Widows accomplish their first objective, at least one of the guerrilla 'Mechs survived. 

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
« Reply #60 on: 02 October 2011, 16:44:29 »
 O0 Great batrep! Love the campaign!
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 02 October 2011, 20:52:41 »
After payday, the Widows are in decent financial shape (305WP).  They'll have enough resources to make it to Formalhaut. 

Stacy's Zeus: Right torso armor still has 8pts of damage.  LB 10-X slug ammo replaced. 100% ammo.
Jacob's Uziel: 100% armor.  Light AC/5 ammo replaced.  100% ammo.
Francine's Griffin: Repaired reflective armor at 100%.  LRM-15 ammor replaced, at 100%.
Calvine's Battlemaster: Armor and ammunition both at 100%.
Kristofur's Marauder II: 17pts of damage on left arm, 8pts of damage on right arm, 2 points of damage on center torso, 5 pts of damage on left torso, 24pts of damage on right torso, 8pts of damage on right leg, 2 points of damage on left leg, 2 points of damage on head.  Heavy Guass Rifle ammunition replaced, at 100%.

Eirene's War Dog: Armor 100%.  Gauss ammo missing 6 shots, have 26 shots left.
Orrin's Dervish:Armor 100%.  9 shots of LRM-10s in each slot left.
Ramirez's Archer: Armor replaced, at 100%.  LRM-15 ammunition replaced, at 100%.
Henderickson's Trebuchet: Armor at 100%, right arm LRM-15 ammunition replaced.  Left torso LRM-15 has 2 shots left.

Wyatt's Wolfhound: 100%
Neil's Firefly: 100%.  19 LRM-5 shots left.
Halle's Cicada: 100%
Madison's Locust: Armor repaired, 100%.

« Last Edit: 02 October 2011, 20:56:06 by Alex Keller »

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #62 on: 02 October 2011, 21:43:08 »
 that could have gone really badly considering how much firepower both sides possessed! great batt rep.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 02 October 2011, 22:53:24 »
Yes.  It could've been a rout if the Widows would have been able to pursue the Shadow Hunters, but Berith was able to extract his people without losing anyone. 

The player controlling Stacy said that she's going to be more aggressive the next time around.  For the moment, both sides are left to lick their wounds and prepare for the next moment of destiny...

sherlox

• Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 03 October 2011, 00:03:39 »
That was.... almost anti-climactic.  When the Widows clustered up in the center with Stacy as the Blakist advance began to slow, I figured on a good deal of blood being spilt.  Guess it's an example of just how durable the Celestials are.  And man, wow!  Headshotting that Nightstar seems like it probably saved the Blakists some significant pain. 

Conditional Feral FTW

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 03 October 2011, 12:20:13 »
The Celestials are super durable and it showed here.  Tomitaki's Grigori took a heavy duty gyro hit, two engine hits and lost a hip actuator.  Still managed to limp off the field.

Also, the Widows were going after their objective to get one more kill.  Once the Grigori and Deva retreated they had accomplished most of their objective and just needed to take down one more unit.  Unfortunately for them, the Seraph and Archangel have a ton of armor and crits didn't hit anything of importance. 

This was just the first meeting between two legendary elite units.  Both sides had an opportunity to feel the other side out.  You can be sure that the Opacus Venatori will be much more dangerous the next time around...

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #66 on: 21 October 2011, 09:53:07 »
Thoroughly enjoying this  [rockon]
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 21 October 2011, 16:58:03 »
Mission# 8: TOUCHPOINT – Formalhaut (-300WP)
0842hrs – Abandoned Mining Complex, Cape Hollum
Formalhaut, WOB Protectorate
21 August 3073

“Say again, Madison.  Can you confirm?”  Stacy’s voice was short and clipped, an audible indication of her irritation at another mission where she seemed to be walking into a trap.

“Confirmed.  Two Protectorate Level IIs,” Madison replied over the communications channel.  “That’s six heavy Battlemechs and six heavy tanks.  Standard WoB Protectorate colors.  Looks like they’re waiting for something.  But it’s hard to see with all this fog.” 

Stacy grimaced.  Another Blakist ambush.  Time to turn this one around on them.  She removed her gloved right hand off the ‘Mech’s control stick to flip a switch next to her communications radio.  “Widows, looks like we’ve got a fight on our hands.  Wyatt, take your recon lance back to the dropship and make sure we’ve got a clear path.  Command and Fire Support lances, form up on me.”  Resting her hands back on the controls, Stacy powered up her Zeus’ throttle and advanced forward, taking care not to trip on any unseen dirt embankments in the fog.  Looking down at her primary monitor, Stacy could see six fusion signatures about a klick away.  Stacy keyed her communications system again. “Madison, you said six BattleMechs.  Where are they?” 

No response. 

A yellow flashing light on her radio caught Stacy’s attention.  A direct transmission via laser.  Stacy toggled another switch.  “Captain, we’re being jammed,” said Eirene Rondema.  “I’m getting heavy EM interference on all communications channels.”

“All right,” said Stacy.  “Fan out and let’s make this quick.  Be on the lookout for those ‘Mechs.” 

ATTACKERS
Black Widows:
Command Lance
   Lt. Jacob Kincaid (2/3) UZL-2S
Support Lance
    Michael Ramirez (3/4) ARC-8M Archer (5 points of random damage)

DEFENDERS
WoB Protectorate Militia
Level II Alpha
    Renly Baratheon (4/5) KGC-005 King Crab
    Brinn Matthiason (4/5) CRK-5004-1 Crockett
    Joyce Nagala (4/5) HGN-736 Highlander
    Aaron Janin (4/5) ST-8A Shootist
    Lindsay Odessa (4/5) THG-12 Thug
    Thomas McAffy (4/5) LNC25-04 Lancelot
Level II Lambda
    Rhino (4/5)
    Rhino (4/5)
    Rhino (4/5)
    Rhino (4/5)
    Burke (4/5)
    Burke (4/5

OBJECTIVES:
#1 Point to prove (Reward: 300WP) – Cripple/destroy half of Protectorate Militia - SUCCESSFUL
#2 Survive! (Reward: 250WP) – At least two Widows force exit off unless clear field of opposition - SUCCESSFUL

SPECIAL RULES:
Landmines: Protectorate pre-selects six command-detonated hexes
Light Fog: Apply a +1 MP to enter each hex
Off Board Movement: Up to half of Protectorate Militia may use off board movement
Forced Withdrawal: Militia are operating under Forced Withdrawal
Condition Feral – Dragoons get either piloting or gunnery bonus by automatically losing initiative for that turn.  +1 to all Dragoon consciousness rolls. 
Salvage – The winner receives salvage only if first objective is attained

Game Setup:
Cape Hollom has a wide open field next to the water, with the mining facility behind some rolling hills.

The WoB Protectorate Militia assemble a line of defense between two hills with the abandoned mining complex and the sea to their backs.  Unknown to the attacking Black Widow Company, a line of landmines sit six hexes in front of the Rhinos. 

The Black Widows enter with Eirene Rondema and Calvin Magdaleno taking the left flank, while Francine, Max Hendrickson and Orrin Fletcher take the right flank.  Movement is slow, thanks to the light fog that has settled in from Cape Hollum.

The Widows close the gap, while the commander of the Blakist Level II begins to sweat....  The Widows are taking full advantage of Condition Feral. (-2 bonus to gunnery skills).  The Wobbies are taking careful aim at a single target down range...

The trap is sprung!  The rest of the Blakists enter the battlefield on turn 5.  Stacy Church, Jacob Kincaid and Michael Ramirez turn from the center to face the new threat.  But not before Eirene Rondema's War Dog is torn apart by combined fire from Rhino LRMs, Burke PPCs and the half a dozen Battlemechs behind her.  She loses engine shielding and suffers an engine hit, but somehow she survives the onslaught.  That's one tough battlemech!

Meanwhile, the rest of the Widows and Rhinos spar at extreme range.  Francine scores a lucky hit against the southern Burke and immobilizes it, while Max Hendrickson's scores a luck critical hit against one of the Rhinos to immobilize it. 

Calvin Magdaleno boldly uses his Battlemaster to shield Eirene while she recovers.  Calvin and Eirene team up to blast the advancing Shootist, coring into internals on both his arms and a torso.  That's a forced withdrawal there!  Calvin's Battlemaster soaks up some damage, reduced by his advanced reflective armor.  Fortunately, he dodges the Shootist's deadly AC/20. 

Stacy and Ramirez use their weapons at long range to force the Highlander into a piloting roll.  He fails and falls down! 

The Rhinos move out, leaving the immobilized vehicles behind.  They're firing at extreme range and not hitting very often. 

The Blakist Lancelot moves forward to help the slower assaults get better targeting information.  His mistake.  Ramirez's Archer and Jacob Kincaid's Uziel slough off several tons of armor, scoring two engine hits on the left torso. 

The Blakists continue their push against Magdaleno and Eirene Rondema, but they hold firm. 

NOTE - We switched locations... And here we see the dark lord Ozzie, commanding the battlefield.  Ozzie apparently does not take kindly to mercenaries.  He pounced on Eirene Rondema's War Dog from out of nowhere, batting it back several feet.  The War Dog is the black object on the carpet in the top left corner next to the TacOps book... 

Back to the battle at hand...  The Widows combine accurate fire into the Highlander.  A missile hits the gauss rifle as it is firing, causing a 20 pt explosion that cores out the rest of the arm and right torso.  More laser and PPC fire cores out the rest of the center torso.  (Highlanders need CASE)

The Blakist Lancelot retreats, leaving the Thug vulnerable to flanking attacks.

Eirene Rondema's War Dog suffers a gauss rifle explosion.  She attempts to make a run for it while Magdaleno provides covering fire. 

With the arrival of the Fletcher, Francine and Hendrickson, the Widows score critical hits to both the King Crab's side torsos, touching off rounds of LB/20-X ammunition on each side!  Both arms go flying off as the 'Mech falls down, the pilot unconscious from neural feedback.  The pilot dies as his 100 ton monster crashes to the ground.   The Thug fails a simple piloting roll and falls down.

The rest of the Wobbie tanks are trying to come to assistance but the fog makes them very slow indeed. 

Here we see Calvin Magdaleno's Battlemaster making a run for it.  He's sustained moderate damage to his armor, but no internal damage.  Meanwhile, the Blakists aim to make the Widows hurt.  They are desperate for a kill.  Anyone will do.  They single out Max Hendrickson's Trebuchet for annihilation.  All remaining vehicles and 'Mechs target the Trebuchet.

Hendrickson is battered by salvos of concentrated LRM and laser fire.  But the worst shot comes from a PPC shot to the head, which vaporizes all the armor off the Trebuchet's head and goes into internal structure. The 'Mech also suffers a damaged shoulder actuator and internal damage on the right torso.  Fortunately for the Widows, Hendrickson is unharmed.

The Crockett is now the main target for the Widows.  A lucky missile shot from Orrin Fletcher's Dervish touches off the rest of the Crockett's autocannon ammunition.  The warrior fails a consciousness check and falls down.  Looking for vengeance, Hendrickson walks up to the fallen Crockett and gives it a swift kick.

The Thug is the last Wobbie standing.  Alone and outnumbered, the Thug makes a final charge at Ramirez's Archer before he is dropped by Jacob Kincaid.  Ramirez takes out the retreating Lancelot.

The remaining Shootist and Rhinos retreat, ceding the field to the Black Widows.  The legend of Stacy Church grows...

txMaddog

• Sergeant
« Reply #68 on: 22 October 2011, 02:44:04 »
Awesome battle report!  All fear Dark Lord Ozzie! ;)

sherlox

• Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: 24 October 2011, 08:47:38 »
This report seems like a study in contrasts...  Stacy Church (aka E) gets scarier and scarier with every fight, to the extent that this match looked like the Widows are fielding Luck as an official modifier (how many sweet/random ammo crits did they get??) in addition to Condition Feral.
Oh, I forgot to ask - what are Blaine's P/G specs?  or is that unknown?

Whereas, the WoB militia may regret surviving this debacle should any LoM/MD/OV members have questions.... with C3i and a serious weight advantage, yet not a single finished Widow mech?  And, what, half the level II as good salvage?  Me think that Mr. Baratheon's family honor will be quite besmirched, degrading his name sake

Well, regardless, masterfully played by the Widow player

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: 24 October 2011, 10:12:28 »
Yeah, the Widows were fortunate in that the light fog prevented the WoB from closing the trap quickly and catching them in between the wall of assault vehicles and assault mechs.  Instead, the Widows were able turn around and destroy one side.  Napoleon would be proud. 

Kristofur Blaine is a 3/3

Next up is a big battle vs. the Opacus Venatori, who will be much more prepared and fielding more dangerous variants for their omnimechs.

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #71 on: 25 October 2011, 02:14:31 »
wow man very nice, also the wob cheated using that Nuke cat.

yergerjo

• Sergeant
« Reply #72 on: 29 October 2011, 19:57:56 »
wow man very nice, also the wob cheated using that Nuke cat.

Wait...the WOB cheated? Naw, they can't have done that.

Nothing to see here...
Physical attacks for Griffin GRF-1DS (Bot1)
Punch (Right Arm) at Summoner Prime #2 (Jade_Falcon); needs 6, rolls 10 : hits (using Punch table) HD
Summoner Prime #2 (Jade_Falcon) takes 6 damage to HD. Armor destroyed, <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
*** Summoner Prime #2 (Jade_Falcon) DESTROYED by damage! ***
Critical hit on HD. Roll is 9; 1 location.
<<<CRITICAL HIT>>> on Standard Cockpit.

Precentor Ollie

• Recruit
  • It's all in the numbers
« Reply #73 on: 29 October 2011, 20:31:14 »
Lovely game and just gets lovelier with every battlereport.  I am officially a fan! [rockon]
Clanner, I accept your challenge to a duel...with my friends.

Stacy Church

« Reply #74 on: 03 November 2011, 18:22:59 »
Bring your best, Venatori. My Widows and I have a beat down to deliver.....

- SC

RJM

• Sergeant
« Reply #75 on: 06 November 2011, 03:37:37 »
Repeatedly the best and most entertaining BatReps on here.  Keep it up!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 07 November 2011, 01:06:48 »
Mission# 9: TOUCHPOINT – Procyon (-800WP)
1304hrs – Plains of Gold
Procyon, WOB Protectorate
19 September 3073

“You said what?” asked an incredulous Jeremiah Youngblood. 

Stacy allowed herself a smile as she heard the young mercenary captain’s excitement bleed through the radio.  “That’s right Captain.  I want us to advance.”  Stacy throttled down her Zeus and twisted her torso 30 degrees to the left so she could get a visual on Jeremiah’s bright blue, grey and yellow Phoenix Hawk.  The large blocky form of Lieutenant Rodney Klatt’s hulking Awesome partially blocked Stacy’s view, but she could still see both ‘mechs carefully picking their way through a light smattering of trees and deep snow.  “We’ve got the numbers, I like the terrain,” she continued.   “We’ll form a battle line here.”  Stacy twisted her ‘mech back to the right and waived her Zeus’ right arm back and forth.  “I want separation out to either side,” she ordered. 

“Acknowledged,” replied Jeremiah.

A new voice came over the radio.  “As ordered,” said Eirene Rondema.  “I’ve got sensor contacts 2 klicks ahead.”  Stacy could see Rondema’s War Dog stepping out of a pocket of deep snow.

“All right people.  Stay in formation,” Stacy replied.  She toggled her primary display to bring up a satellite link giving her a top down view of the battlefield.  Her ‘mech’s computer chimed in with a soothing female voice. “Satellite link… established.  Active radar… engaged.”   With a few more touches, Stacy had an excellent view of the advancing enemy forces.  A King Crab led the enemy advance.  The large assault machine had something familiar about it, but Stacy couldn’t quite put a finger on what it was.   Had she faced this commander before? No time to worry about that now, she told herself.  The enemy ‘mechs soon started running and Stacy had more pressing matters at hand.  Precentor Arian Fellers had lured her unit and the Crescent Hawks into another trap with rumors of atrocities and mass killings.  It was time to teach these Blakists a thing or two about killing.  Shoving her throttle forward, Stacy's Zeus lurched forward into a loping run, eager for the coming battle.

ATTACKERS
Black Widows:
Command Lance
   Calvin Magdaleno BLR-4S Battlemaster
Support Lance
Crescent Hawks
    Capt. Jeremiah Youngblood (1/2) PHX-7K Phoenix Hawk
    Lt. Rodney Klatt (2/3) AWS-9Q Awesome

DEFENDERS
Venatori
Level II Alpha
    Kari Marita (3/2) KGC-008 King Crab
    Bryn Rivenschild(2/3) GM-R-PR30 (C3i) Grim Reaper
    Elizabeth Rodriguez (4/2) GUR-3G Gurkha
    Cassius Montague (4/3) MCY-102 Mercury
    Portia Thomas (3/1) CRB-45 Crab
    Jacqueline Norman (4/4) CRB-45 Crab
Level II Alpha
    Precentor Arian Fellers (3/5) AWS-10KM Awesome
    Kevin Fitzpatrick (4/5) TDR-10M Thunderbolt
    Vanessa Huygens (4/5) BJ-O Blackjack OmniMech
    Regular Crew (4/5) Pinto Attack VTOL
    Regular Crew (4/5) Pinto Attack VTOL

OBJECTIVES:
#1 Termination (Reward: 500WP) – Cripple/destroy Precentor Fellers’ Awesome - SUCCESSFUL
#2 Point to Prove! (Reward: 900WP) – Cripple/destroy half of enemy forces - SUCCESSFUL

SPECIAL RULES:
Deep Snow
Forced Withdrawal: All units are operating under Forced Withdrawal

Game Setup:
The Plains of Gold are flat with a smattering of light and heavy trees, with isolated pockets of deep snow.

TURN 1
The Black Widows form a battle line.  Stacy Church and her command lance hold center, while Lt. Rondema's support lance hold the right side and Capt. Youngblood takes the left side.

Capt. Jeremiah Youngblood and Lt. Rodney Klatt of the Crescent Hawks

TURN 2
The Blakist advance. 

TURN 3
Both sides continue their rush to battle.  The Black Widows maintain formation, while the Blakists seem less cohesive despite winning initiative.  The Venatori and WoB Militia forces seem to have command issues as Precentor Fellers outranks Demi-Precentor Kari Marita. 

TURN 4
As the forces close to extreme range, Kari Marita is able to pull the rest of her Level II into formation.  The Venatori will seek to flank on the left, while Precentor Fellers advances down the right side.

Lt. Jacob Kincaid scores first blood for the Widows, as his accurate Light AC/5s score a hit on Fellers' Awesome at extreme range. 

TURN 5
Capt. Jeremiah Youngblood astonishes everyone with a huge 270 meter jump into cover in his new Phoenix Hawk.  The widows combine to pour more fire into Fellers' Awesome, scoring more hits on the right torso.  The Blakist riposte is off mark.

Kari Marita's Venatori continue their flanking attempt, but are also unable to hit at extreme range.

TURN 6
Precentor Fellers advances with his small mixed Level II.  The timely arrival of his Pinto Attack VTOL flight discourages Capt. Youngblood from any attempts to jump over Fellers.  Youngblood scores a snub-nose PPC hit against Fellers, while the Blakists combine fire on Jacob's Uziel.  Fortunately, the one heavy PPC that hits is a glancing blow, doing minimal damage to the medium mech.

Meanwhile, the Venatori and Widows clash at range.  The Widows concentrate fire on Jacqueline Norman's CRB-30 Crab while Francine's Griffin and Eirene Rondema's War Dog attack Cassius Montague's Mercury.  Cassius Montague returns fire on Rondema.  (Note - Montague has a weakness for women and must make a roll to determine whether he is aware that the War Dog pilot is female.  The roll is less than 10 so he suffers no attack penalty.)  The rest of the Venatori concentrate fire on Michael Ramirez's Archer.

Despite a large movement modifier, Francine's snub-nose PPC vaporizes the Mercury's right arm thanks to Condition Feral attack bonuses.  Rondema's Gauss rifle and large pulse laser punch completely through the small 'mech's right and center torsos.  The mech scored a medium laser hit to Rondema's right arm, then fell to the ground, a useless hulk of metal and myomer. 

The rest of the Widows, most notably Stacy Church, are able to pour fire into Jacqueline Norman's Crab, scoring internal damage in the torso and both arms, forcing a difficult piloting roll for the young mechwarrior.  She fails her check and falls down. 

The Widows are not without their own casualties, however.  Michael Ramirez goes down after Bryn Rivenschild scores a critical hit on the cockpit with his ER PPC.  Ramirez is down and out, and all attempts to contact raise him on the radio are unsuccessful.   Elizabeth Rodriguez uses her Gurkha's sword to shear off armor from Max Hendrickson's Trebuchet.

TURN 7
The Widows cede initiative again to gain gunnery skill bonuses, yet they hold their line while the Blakists remain divided. 

Jacob Kincaid scores major damage to the Blakist Blackjack, while the Blackjack Prime's weapons score moderate damage against the Uziel.

Jeremiah Youngblood, Rodney Klatt and Calvin Magdaleno combine fire to punch through Precentor Fellers' right torso, destroying the Heavy PPC and dropping the right arm holding a Snub-Nose PPC.  They also score an engine hit in the center torso.  Fellers must retreat due to forced withdrawal rules. 

Demi Kari Marita convinces the WoB attack helicopters to take out the War Dog, as her ECM is disrupting the Venatori C3i network. The flight of Pinto Attack VTOLs score several hits against Rondema's War Dog.  Marita's own heavy PPCs miss, while her light AC/2s and medium lasers score hits. 

Elizabeth Rodriguez's Gurka scores more hits, but the return fire from the heavy War Dog and several other Widows is devastating.

TURN 8
The Widows cede initiative again.

Jacob Kincaid's light AC/5s are able to punch through holes in armor opened up from the last exchange to score critical hits to the Blackjack's left hip and right lower leg actuator.  The WoB pilot is unable to stand and takes more damage on the way down.  Francine blows past in an attempt to take down Fellers' Awesome.

Portia Thomas moves her CRB-45 into the Widow's defensive line in an attempt to draw fire away from Rodriguez's Gurkha, but she is outmaneuvered by Stacy Church. 

Thomas scores some big hits on Rondema's War Dog, but Stacy Church's attack through the rear goes deep into her internal structure, putting her XL engine at risk.  Thomas scores some big hits on Rondema's War Dog, but Stacy Church's attack through the rear goes deep into her internal structure, putting her XL engine at risk.

Jacqueline Norman is under forced withdrawal, but that doesn't stop her from taking a few long range shots with her ER PPCs.

Elizabeth Rodriguez goes down despite Kari Marita's attempts to shield her.  She takes damage falling down and is unconscious.  Kari Marita's heavy PPCs do not flame out (they flame out on roll of 9+ after two consecutive firings) but they fail land hits again while her light AC/2s score hits against Rondema's War Dog.

TURN 9
The Widows cede initiative to gain Condition Feral attack bonuses.

The Blackjack pilot fails an attempt to stand and takes damage.  Deciding to live to fight another day, he powers down.

The Pinto Attack VTOLs cover Precentor Fellers' escape as he uses evasive movement to avoid any significant damage.

Portia Thomas is unable to escape as her engine is destroyed when she loses her right torso to combined LRM and laser fire. Rondema's War Dog takes even more damage but refuses to go down.  Kari Marita's Heavy PPC finally scores a hit against the War Dog.  Meanwhile, Bryn Rivenschild is deadly in his Grim Reaper.  His ER PPC, ER Medium Laser and LRM-15w/ Artemis IV completely shreds the front torso of Max Hendrickson's Trebuchet.

Capt. Youngblood isn't about to let Precentor Fellers escape!  He lands another well placed shot on the Awesome's center torso, coring out the durable assault 'Mech and achieving the final objective for the Widows and Crescent Hawks.

TURN 10
The Widows win initiative with a roll of 12.  With the loss of Portia Thomas' Crab, the Gurkha, Mercury, Blackjack, and Precentor Fellers' Awesome and with Jacqueline Norman's Crab under forced withdrawal, Kari Marita makes the call for retreat.  Both Pinto Attack VTOLs are called in to pick up Portia Thomas and Elizabeth Rodriguez.  Recognizing that the Widows have taken considerable damage as well, Stacy Church has her widows withdraw from the battlefield under the withering fire of Kari Marita's King Crab and Bryn Rivenschild's Grim Reaper.

Rivenschild makes the Widows pay at long range, scoring hit after hit despite the extreme temperatures his firing is causing.  His performance was the only bright point to an otherwise bleak Venatori performance.

Orrin Fletcher's Dervish takes some heavy damage from Bryn Rivenschild's Grim Reaper as he provides covering fire for the retreating Widows.

Kari Marita reflects on her failure.  Berith will not be pleased with her performance, though she is far more disappointed in herself for letting the Widows escape her once again...
« Last Edit: 07 November 2011, 01:22:52 by Alex Keller »

RJM

• Sergeant
« Reply #77 on: 07 November 2011, 04:49:21 »
Nice hunt down from Youngblood on the retreating Awesome.

And Marita's inability to hit anything with those HPPC's really blunted the force of the WoB thrust through the thick of the fighting, for sure. 

What's the status on poor Ramirez, by the way? 

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #78 on: 07 November 2011, 05:38:30 »
wow, that was INSANE

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 07 November 2011, 12:24:56 »
20 September 3073

MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD

SUBJECT: Damage Report and Current Finances

1. Capt. Church, I've compiled the cost estimate of repairs as we are outbound aboard the Freedom.  You will find our current finance statement at the bottom line. 

2. ZEU-X - Light armor damage to right torso and right arm.  Blue Shield Project system reduced damages and system is now operating at 100%.  No ammunition replacements. (7 LB-10X Slug shots left and 9 LB-10X Cluster shots left.) Estimated Cost: 100WP.

3. UZL-2S - Moderate armor damage to all front locations. No ammunition replacements. (35 shots left for each Light AC/5.)  Estimated Cost: 30WP.

4. GRF-6S - Light armor damage to right arm and right leg.  Damage reduced by reflective armor. No ammunition replacements. (16 shots left for LRM-15).  Estimated Cost: 30WP.

5. BLR-4S - No armor damage.  Replace RAC/5 ammo.  Estimated Cost: 3WP.

6. WR-DG-02FC - Heavy armor damage to center torso, right torso, left leg.  Critical internal damage to right leg.  Light armor damage to right arm, left arm and head.  Ammo replacement for OS SRM-2s and Gauss Rifle.  Estimated Cost: 69WP.

7. DV-7D - Moderate armor damage to center torso, right torso.  Heavy armor damage to right arm and right leg.  Internal damage to right arm.  Replace LRM-10 ammo.  Estimated Cost: 36WP.

8. ARC-8M - Light armor damage to right arm and right leg.  Critical damage to head. Replace LRM-15 ammo.  Estimated Cost: 66WP

9. TBT-7M - Heavy armor damage to left torso. Light armor damage to center torso.  Critical damage to right torso.  Replace LRM-15 ammo.  Estimated Cost: 36WP.

10. Lt. Rondema and Lt. Kincaid are fully recovered from minor injuries sustained during battle. 

11. Michael Ramirez suffers from a concussion and second degree burns to his legs.  He's listed as probable but could return to battle in a month. 

12. Current Warchest: 1230WP. 

LT JACOB KINCAID
XO, Black Widow Company

sherlox

• Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 09 November 2011, 12:58:14 »
I am astounded by Rondema and her War Dog's durability.  It seems like every other battle sees it ravaged, yet nothing permanent. Just astounding.  Also amazing is how cheap her repair is though...after all that, it's only 70% of SC's mildly battered Zeus-X?

Props to Mr. Kincaid.  Seems like he had a solid and high-damage battle, punching above his weight class consistently.

Gooooo widows!  woo... think they need a cheering section soon

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 09 November 2011, 20:18:53 »
Rondema and her War Dog took a beating.  I'm talking 80-90% armor loss on the center torso, right torso and left leg, and just 3 points of internal structure left on the right leg.  Fortunately, the leg was the only place with internal damage.  Under the Starterbook: Wolf & Blake repairs, that damage is not sufficient to be "crippled" and so we only had to pay to repair a damaged heavy mech (60WP).  Rondema was fortunate that Kari Marita's Heavy PPCs missed four times (60pts of damage) at medium range as any more hits would have gone internal. 

Stacy's Zeus is super expensive to repair.  Even though the Zeus is just 5 tons heavier than the War Dog, it's an assault so the base cost goes up from 60WP to 80WP.  Then we have to factor in an additional 20% cost to Stacy's Zeus because of the quirks/fluff rules.  Apparently, a Blue Shield Project system makes everything more difficult.

Kincaid gets a lot of hits in, but he hasn't really made as many kills as say, Stacy or Rondema. While he did get the kill for the Blackjack, he was fortunate that the assault machines of Calvin Magdaleno and Rodney Klatt punched some big holes for him. Rondema was credited for the Mercury and Gurkha, which she mostly killed herself. 

The next battle is the final touchpoint of the game.  Rigil Kentarus.  All the Widows.  All the Opacus Venatori. 

sherlox

• Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: 10 November 2011, 10:33:41 »
Well, those are the rules, and sometimes they work mighty fine for you!  And also fate in the form of Marita's awful luck in shooting.

I guess for Kincaid, i got the impression he started hitting early, and kept up a consistently accurate fire throughout the rounds.  Ofc he didn't actually kill much.... his highest individual weapon damage is, what, 6?  His Uziel is definitely a heavy scout/harasser, not much to be worried about by itself.  I did think he played a nice attrition role. 

I look forward to the blood, savagery and chaos of Kentarus then.  Currently stockpiling toasters for the celebration/ceremony to follow

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 11 November 2011, 17:08:21 »
Kincaid almost always hits.  He's got a 2 gunnery skill and with Condition Feral, he typically has a -2 to-hit bonus.  He also gets -1 bonuses for his Actuator Enhancement Systems for the Light AC/5s and the Medium Pulse Lasers get a -2 bonus.  The Streaks only fire when they hit.  So basically, he's going to be doing damage.  Where he suffers is that most of his hits are relatively light.  Under the TacOps critical hit rules we're using, you need a to roll a 9/10 to get a single critical hit (as opposed to an 8 ) and there are bonuses to rolls for weapons that do more damage per shot.  So heavy weapons like Gauss Rifles or Heavy PPCs are going to have a much better chance of getting a critical hit.  That's how Stacy and Rondema get more crits and kills.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 12 November 2011, 20:57:21 »
Currently playing the final Wolf & Blake showdown on Rigel Kentarus...  Wide open terrain at the bottom of a volcano.  Just two small line of sight blocking hills.  We temporarily finished up tonight after completing turn 5.   Lots of excitement as we've already got a couple 'mechs down.  Predictions?

Command Lance
Support Lance
    Kristofur Blaine (3/3) MAD-4S Marauder II 
Recon Lance

Opacus Level II
    Precentor Berith (1*/2) C-ANG-O Archangel Invictus
    Demi Kendali Moris (3*/3) C-PRT-O Preta Invictus
    Mi Tomitaki (3*/2) C-GRG-O Grigori  Luminos
    Rufus Black Bear (4*/4) C-GRG-O Grigori Invictus
    Achillius St. John (4*/1) C-DVA-O Deva Invictus
Venatori Level II
    Bryn Rivenschild(2/3) GM-R-PR30 (C3i) Grim Reaper
    Elizabeth Rodriguez (4/2) GUR-2G Gurkha
    Cassius Montague (4/3) BLF-21 Blue Flame
    Portia Thomas (3/1) LNC25-04 Lancelot
    Jacqueline Norman (4/4) CRB-30 Crab

sherlox

• Sergeant
« Reply #85 on: 13 November 2011, 02:28:39 »
I'm thinking the Widows will lose the Griffin, Marauder II, Trebuchet and most of the recon lance, at the very least.  Blakists.... For some reason I' m feeling the Deva, Seraph and a Grigori  will go down, and the Lancelot, Gurkha and a Crab won't last long.  Beyond that? No idea.
I'm thinking at least 2 pilot deaths per side, though...

Overall winners: BW by a narrow margin, through grit, CF and being awesome

txMaddog

• Sergeant
« Reply #86 on: 13 November 2011, 06:46:57 »
Precentor Berith in a last act of defiance overloads his reactor causing the volcano to become active killing everyone but the Firefly.  :D

OTOH I think Berith and Stacy duke it out one one one, Stacy wins but just barely.  The War Dog survives but is in bad shape, the recon lance gets nom'ed and only the Firefly survives.  The Uzeil and the battlemaster explode killing both pilots.

Of the WoB - the Deva and Seraph survive but are messed up, of the other Level II the Blue Flame is legged but survives and the others are either head capped or crippled.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 13 November 2011, 21:07:43 »
We finished up to turn 8 as we are now down to moving single mechs during initiative.  More 'mechs are down, and nearly everyone is running hot as the volcano has erupted and we've got liquid hot magma spouting up from the ground and a big earthquake this turn. 

All I can say right now is that it is really close.  Both Berith and Stacy Church are still on the field. And if someone doesn't gain an advantage soon, the whole floor is going to rupture...  Probably the most intense game I've ever played.   

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 21 November 2011, 17:35:54 »
Here it is.  The final scenario in our Wolf & Blake campaign.  Enjoy.

Mission# 10: TOUCHPOINT – Rigil Kentarus (-1000WP)
1117hrs – Mount Krakatoa
Rigil Kentarus, WOB Protectorate
30 November 3073

This has to work.  C’mon, Berith.  Where are you?  Stacy flexed her gloved hands once more and used her forearm to wipe some of the sweat from her brow.  The inside of her Zeus’ cockpit was sweltering.   Her coolant suit was working overtime just to keep her core temperature at a healthy level.  And the fight hasn’t even started yet.  Outside, Stacy view of the volcanic floor was partially obscured by venting steam from the earth below.  Every once and awhile, the ground below her would briefly shake.  Mount Krakatoa is coming to life.  Through the haze, Stacy could make out the black and red ‘Mechs of her two lieutenants to either side.  Kincaid’s Uziel paced back and forth, arms tracking invisible targets out ahead.  Rondema’s War Dog stood motionless, occasionally reshuffling after a minor tremor shook the earth. 

Stacy took a moment to collect her thoughts.   For nearly a year, her small band of warriors had been hounded by Berith and his Opacus Venatori.  It seemed like every week another contact of hers would disappear, never to be heard from again.  Well… no more.  Stacy had sent out a call, practically daring Berith to come and fight her.  Stacy had chosen an active volcano floor both to shield her unit from Blakist aerospace fighters and to prevent Berith from calling down additional troops.  If Berith wanted a fight, it would have to be both small units going toe to toe.  Berith seemed like the kind of psycho that would accept such a challenge. 

Stacy’s radio crackled to life.  “Captain, I’ve got something,” Rondema reported.  “Multiple enemy contacts.  Bearing Zero-Two-Five.  ETA thirty-four seconds.”     

“Roger, I’ve got visual,” Stacy replied.  She could see the unmistakable form of Berith’s hulking Archangel in the distance.  More Blakist machines seemed to emerge through the rising steam as they filed into the caldera.  “All units, advance and engage!”  Stacy pushed her throttle forward and her Zeus’ engine thrummed as nearly eighty tons of metal and myomer propelled itself towards the enemy.  Stacy could see the enemy start to run in formation as they became aware of her Widows. 

A new voice greeted her on her radio.  It was cold and metallic, utterly devoid of any emotion.  “Stacy Church.  I’ve come for you.  You will not escape.”  Berith.  Stacy mentally braced herself and re-gripped her controls.  The voice continued.  “Your troops have fought well, but it is time.  Power down and surrender to the Will of Blake.”  Berith’s Archangel disappeared behind a large rocky outcropping.

Stacy thumbed her microphone as she throttled down to a walk. “Never!  You’re gonna pay for what you have done.  And I’m here to collect.”  With that, Stacy toggled her weapon safeties off, and all hell broke loose.

ATTACKERS
Black Widows:
Command Lance
Support Lance
    Kristofur Blaine (3/3) MAD-4S Marauder II 
Recon Lance

DEFENDERS
Opacus Level II
    Precentor Berith (1*/2) C-ANG-O Archangel Invictus
    Demi Kendali Moris (3*/3) C-PRT-O Preta Invictus
    Mi Tomitaki (3*/2) C-GRG-O Grigori  Luminos
    Rufus Black Bear (4*/4) C-GRG-O Grigori Invictus
    Achillius St. John (4*/1) C-DVA-O Deva Invictus
Venatori Level II
    Bryn Rivenschild(2/3) GM-R-PR30 (C3i) Grim Reaper (LRM-20 to LRM-15 wArtemis, add C3i)
    Elizabeth Rodriguez (4/2) GUR-2G Gurkha
    Cassius Montague (4/3) BLF-21 Blue Flame
    Portia Thomas (3/1) LNC25-04 Lancelot
    Jacqueline Norman (4/4) CRB-30 Crab

OBJECTIVES:
#1 Hammer (Reward: 700WP) – Cripple/destroy half opposing force - SUCCESSFUL
#2 No Quarter (Reward: 900WP) – Cripple/destroy all of enemy forces - Failed

SPECIAL RULES:
Earthquake - Earthquake (Strength 4) on roll of 10+ after 2nd turn
Eruption - Eruption on  roll of 6+ after turn 6.  10 pts damage, 2 pts heat to each 'Mech within 2 hexes.
Magma
Forced Withdrawal: All units are operating under Forced Withdrawal

Game Setup:
The bottom of Mount Krakatoa is flat with a couple of small hills rising from the floor.  The floor is surrounded by an impassable rocky wall, with an exit to the east and west.

Soundtrack:
Yes… we had a soundtrack going and it was awesome.  Want a taste?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA43PO1Td3U

TURN 1 (Widows surrender Initiative for -1 bonus to gunnery)

Stacy's Black Widow Company waits for Berith and his Opacus Venatori.

Berith's Opacus Venatori enter the caldera.

TURN 2 (Widows surrender Initiative for -2 bonus to gunnery)

Both sides advance.  Berith is keeping his forces in tight formation, hoping to use the principle of mass against the Widows.  Stacy Church elects to split up, hoping to flank.

TURN 3 (Widows surrender Initiative for -2 bonus to gunnery, -1 bonus to piloting)

Stacy Church orders her troops to take cover. Kari Marita (King Crab) and her Venatori split off, while Berith's Opacus maintain tight formation.  Jacob Kincaid scores first blood for the Widows as one of his Light AC/5s hits at extreme range against Havalah Cazer's Seraph.

Stacy and some of her Widows sprint to take cover behind a rocky outcropping. 

Halle Yost (in the Cicada) makes a bad decision.  The bulk of Berith's Opacus turn to pour fire into her Cicada.  Halle's ER PPC hits Marita's King Crab but her mech is savaged by PPC and laser fire.  Her mech suffers catastrophic engine damage and she hits the deck.  Opacus Venatori get the first point. 

TURN 4 (Opacus Venatori win Initiative, thanks to Berith's +2 Initiative Bonus, Widows still have -2 Gunnery -1 Piloting bonus)

Blakists continue to stay tight in an attempt to mass firepower, while the Widows regroup and snipe at extreme range.

Both sides maneuver around the hill.  The loss of Halle Yost seems to have stalled the Widow's flanking attempt. 

Lt. Wyatt Rolfe snipes at extreme range with his trio of Light PPCs, sheering more armor off of Marita's King Crab.

The Widows are able to snipe at Tomitaki's Grigori at extreme range. 

TURN 5 (Opacus Venatori win initiative, thanks again to Berith's +2 bonus.  Widows still have -2 Gunnery -1 Piloting bonus)

Both sides cautiously advance as they are reluctant to enter certain kill zones of overlapping fire.  Stacy Church is so far able to prevent the bulk of Berith's forces from overwhelming her while her troops are split up. 

Eirene Rondema in her War Dog scores a lucky shot with her Large Pulse Laser and vaporizes all the armor protecting the King Crab's head.  The rest of her weapons score on the left torso.  Orrin Fletcher adds more damage.  Kari Marita takes the damage and fires back.  One of her sabotaged Heavy PPCs flames out, but the other one scores and inflicts heavy damage to Fletcher's Dervish.

Jacob, Calvin and Kristofur Blaine team up on a Blakist target.  Jacquelin Norman's Crab is brutalized by LRM and laser fire. She loses nearly all her armor on her left arm and two torso locations.   

The Word of Blake fires back.  Havalah Cazer's Ultra AC/20 hits Jacob Kincaid's Uziel and scores several critical hits.  One of the slugs finds the Streak SRM-6 ammunition.  BOOOM!! Kincaid auto ejects to safety, but his Uziel is out of the fight.  Another point for the Word of Blake!!!  Stacy has to be worrying now....

The Venatori attempt to protect their flank from Widow predations.  Stacy Church is nonplussed as she and Francine combine fire from multiple angles to tear at Portia Thomas' Lancelot. Thomas remains standing... for now.

TURN 6 (Widows win initiative and maintain -2 Gunnery, -1 Piloting bonuses)

ERUPTION!!!  Mount Krakatoa has awakened.  Two molten jets of rock spew up out of the ground, dealing damage and heat to the surrounding 'Mechs.  The damage is particularly heavy to the tight Blakist formation.  Berith certainly wasn't expecting that.  Mi Tomitaki's Grigori Luminos takes lava to the head and takes critical damage to the torso, losing a jump jet.  Francine takes a molten rock to her head's armor as well. Many of the Blakist machines were already running hot.  Havalah Cazer has to make a shutdown roll, which succeeds. 

With the volcano starting to erupt, Berith orders his forces to spread out.  With an Initiative win, Stacy presses her flanking attack while Calvin Magdaleno and Francine retreat to cover, leaving Kristofur Blaine's Marauder II to bear the brunt of the Opacus assault.

Kristofur Blaine takes a beating, but his heavy war machine is still standing.  Several of the Opacus 'Mechs have difficulty hitting due to heat issues.

Norman's Crab takes even more pounding, losing an arm (and ER PPC) as she is caught out in the open.

The light mechs from the Venatori attempt to deflect the Widow flanking attack but they run into stiff resistance.

Cassius Montague's Blue Flame scores a large laser hit on Stacy Church, but his 'Mech suffers from a gyroscope hit and he is unable to maintain his 'Mech's balance from the huge damage caused by Church and the Firefly.  His 'Mech falls down, taking more damage and a piloting hit.  He's under forced withdrawal.  Score one point for the Widows!

Russel Madison uses his Locust's extreme speed to catch Portia Thomas offguard.  He pumps two Medium Lasers into the rear and gives the Lancelot a 4pt kick for good measure.

TURN 7 (Widows cede initiative, -1 Gunnery Bonus)

The eruption continues!!!

Francine takes more damage from the molten geyser and she fails a piloting roll, doing twice the damage to her 'Mech due to it's Reflective Armor. 

Both Rondema and Fletcher suffer from a sudden geyser that appears between them.

More damage and heat for the Opacus Venatori.  Tomitaki's Grigori Luminos has real heat issues and is nearly immobile. Berith takes some molten rock to the cockpit.

After maneuvers, Berith's Opacus continue to spread out, while Stacy's scuffle in the rear turns deadly...

Berith charges forward and lights up Francine's Griffin.  His Capacitor Charged PPCs still do significant damage to the Griffin, despite the reflective armor.

Meanwhile, Kari Marita charges into battle, completely uncaring about the total lack of armor protecting her King Crab's cockpit.  It is revenge that drives her.  One of her Light AC/2s catches an ammo bin in Fletcher's Dervish.  CASE saves the 'Mech, and Fletcher makes his consciousness check.  The return fire from Rondema and Fletcher is enough to scour away all the armor in the King Crab's left torso, leaving Marita vulnerable to her own ammo explosion.

Stacy's battle in the rear has turned ugly as fighting devolves into hand-to-hand combat.  Elizabeth Rodriguez scores a hit with her Gurkha's sword on Russel Madison's Locust.  Stacy gears up and absolutely tears into Portia Thomas' Lancelot.  Her Heavy PPC misses at close range, but her lasers and cluster LB-10x shred the lighter 'Mech.  With one solid kick, Stacy tears the leg off the Lancelot putting Thomas out of the fight.  Score two for the Widows!

TURN 8 (Widows cede Initiative, -2 Gunnery Bonus)

EARTHQUAKE!!! With a roll of 10, all pilots must make a piloting roll.  Both Calvin Magdaleno and Havalah Cazer fail, with Havalah falling into a level 1 fissure. 

Molten lava compounds Magdaleno's problems...

Havalah falls into a fissure.

More eruptions!!! It's getting crazy now.  Surely Stacy must be reconsidering her plan to fight here.  Will anyone make it out alive?  Maybe that was her plan the whole time...

Magma spews out of the rocky outcropping and down onto the Widows.

More heat and damage problems for the grudge match between Kari Marita and Rondema and Fletcher.

NOTE:  DUE TO TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES - UNABLE TO TAKE PHOTOS OF TURN 8

Turn 8 Summary:
Widows score another point as Norman's Crab takes more internal torso damage and is under forced withdrawal. 
Lots and lots of 'Mechs miss as the earthquake adds a +4 to-hit modifier.

TURN 9 (Widows cede Initiative, -2 Gunnery -1 Piloting Bonuses)

Another Earthquake!  More Magma Destruction!!!

Things are getting really bad here, thinks Calvin.  Maybe it's time to get up and move.

Neil Gibson (Firefly) and Max Hendrickson (Trebuchet) jump up on the outcropping, but they cannot escape the magma!

Achillius St. John's Deva has it's rear armor completely stripped and damage goes internal.  He loses a heat sink.

Both Fletcher's Dervish and Bryn Rivenschild's Grim Reaper are unable to stand in the earthquake. 

Cassius Montague is unable to keep his four legged Blue Flame standing when he has a broken gyro.  Rufus Black Bear's Grigori also takes a spill.

Berith has ordered a general withdrawal as the volcanic floor is shaking and breaking up.  Russell Madison scores a couple back shots but he falls down from the earthquake. 

By this time, Stacy Church has doubled back around.  She shrugs off some damage from Rodriguez's Gurkha and absolutely unloads on Kari Marita.  One of the LB-10X pellets hits Marita's cockpit, taking out her sensors and giving Marita a +2 to-hit penalty.  The King Crab is under forced withdrawal.  Marita curses as one of her Heavy PPCs flames out again. AGAIN!? The other does reduced damage to Stacy's Zeus as the Blue Shield Project is still operating. 

TURN 10 (Widows cede Initiative, -1 Gunnery Bonus)

Thankfully, no earthquake.  But more eruptions!

The once dormant volcano floor is now awash in molten lava.   Several Blakist mechs are already leaving.  Rufus, in his pristine Grigori, attempts to engage his Supercharger but rolls a 2!!  On the next roll, he rolls a 12, delivering 2 engine hits and putting himself under forced withdrawal.  With the 6th Blakist 'Mech crippled/destroyed, the Widows have achieved one of the objectives.  Unbelievable!

Achillius St. John's Deva scores a critical hit with a Gauss Rifle, coring Niel Gibson's Firefly. Another point for Opacus Venatori!

Havalah Cazer and Francine trade shots.  Francine props herself up and snaps off a Snub-Nose PPC against Cazer's Seraph.  Cazer is having difficulty hitting due to the extreme heat her 'Mech is operating under. 

Bryn Rivenschild takes more hits from Eirene Rondema and Max Hendrickson.  He's lost an LRM-15, but at this close, all he needs is his ER PPC, Medium Laser and SRM-6 to savage Rondema's War Dog.

Berith and Tomitaki add additional fire into Rondema's War Dog.  One of the PPCs scores a critical hit against the War Dog's Gauss Rifle.  It explodes!... causing two pilot hits and taking away Rondema's best weapon.  Rondema counts her blessings as the rest of her heavy armor holds up.  She's under forced withdrawal.

Elizabeth Rodriguez continues to pursue Stacy Church.  Fortunately for Rodriguez, Church misses with everything but a ER Medium Laser.

TURN 11

The eruptions continue...

Elizabeth Rodriguez suffers an engine hit when molten rock scores a critical hit to her rear center torso.  Not enough to put her under withdrawal, but enough to think twice about her continued pursuit of the Black Widow's commander.

More damage to Max Hendrickson's Trebuchet as some molten magma eats at his engine shielding. He's under forced withdrawal. 

Berith and Tomitaki suffer more damage.  Heat is perhaps the worst of it, as it reduces the Grigori Luminos and Archangel movements to 1/2 and adds +2 to-hit modifiers.

No one is safe.  Both Calvin and Kristofur are hit with more lava.

As Berith attempts to run away, he is suddenly surrounded by several Widow BattleMechs.  Russel Madison's Locust takes two Medium Laser shots to the rear torso, while Rondema's Large Pulse Laser carves more armor.  Berith turns and blasts Madison's Locust to scrap with a Heavy PPC. That's six kills for the Blakists and their objective achieved!!!  But Kristofur Blaine's Marauder II still has a shot....

Uh oh...

ER PPC Headshot to the Archangel.  Berith is down!!!  Repeat, Berith is down!

TURN 12 (Widows cede initiative, -1 Gunnery Bonus

With all objectives achieved, both forces move at full speed.  The volcano will surely blow at any time. 

Demi-Precentor Kari Marita takes control of the situation and orders the rest of the Opacus Venatori to retreat.  She calls in a rescue VTOL for Berith.

Both Havalah Cazer and Tomitaki grudgingly oblige.

A courageous team of Seventh Kommandos are at hand to pick up the downed Widow pilots.  The 'Mechs will surely be lost... 

Stacy Church is the last to leave the field.  She takes one final look at Berith's fallen Archangel.  It's over. 

Or is it???

« Last Edit: 22 November 2011, 01:02:53 by Alex Keller »

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
Re: Tempest Rising: Wolf's Dragoons (Pic Heavy!!!)
« Reply #89 on: 21 November 2011, 19:33:46 »
An epic ending to an awesome campaign, and a great set of AARs.

Here's hoping you and the lovely lady conspire to do this again, or continue it!

Stacy Church

« Reply #90 on: 21 November 2011, 23:44:25 »
Reading this report takes me right back to sweltering Krakatoa.... I will be reminiscing about this battle for quite a long time.

"Power down and surrender to the Will of Blake".... In your dreams, big boy.

-S.Church

txMaddog

• Sergeant
« Reply #91 on: 22 November 2011, 03:36:37 »
Awesome report!  Loved the addition of the environmental hazards, made thing real tense toward the end.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #92 on: 24 November 2011, 03:34:07 »
Cracking end to a great campaign  O0
Go to red alert!

sherlox

• Sergeant
« Reply #93 on: 24 November 2011, 11:14:05 »
What a brutal slugfest.  No quarter asked or given... as it should have been.  Definitely gets better during the second read. 
Props to the widow commander for skillful maneuvering, and to the Robes for being a lethal menace the whole game even with Marita's King Crab half-neutered. 

How does the volcano mechanic work?  I'm totally unfamiliar... though it was an excellent reminder that the moniker 'Kings of the Battlefield' is such a relative term, and worth so very little whenever the topography decides to weigh in on a fight.

Guess the Widows are finally due for a spot of R&R... perhaps a short roadtrip to somewhere of more mellow climate?

kuttsinister7

• Master Sergeant
  • I send recon, then artillery, then main forces...
« Reply #94 on: 24 November 2011, 15:15:29 »
Great Campaign! I am just working on getting my Girlfriend to play a few more of quickstrike and join our campaign!
If you can't reach for the stars, then call the Doom Stars. We will fix that for you...

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 16 July 2012, 00:32:24 »
Stacy Church and the infamous Black Widow Company have returned!

After recovering from the terrible conflict with Berith and his twice-damned Opacus Venatori, the Black Widows were once again paired with Chandresekhar Kurita's mercenary coalition.  This time, the Widows would be working along side Jeremiah Youngblood's Cresent Hawks and Phelan Kell's Wolves, with both the Wolves and McFadden's Sky Raiders providing aerospace support.

Here are some of the highlights!

Stacy Church and her Widows are charged with finding an entrance into the Ruins of Gabriel.  Kristofur Blaine (piloting the MAD-4S) has taken it upon himself to serve as her personal bodyguard.  (Rumors now swirl that there's something else between the two mechwarriors).  The asteroid is like no place Stacy has ever been.  Gravity is at .25 G's, vacuum threatens to breach any location and it's a moonless night.  The temperature is close to 165 degrees Kelvin.  Welcome to hell.

Berith makes an appearance.  He calls out to Stacy, challenging her.  Stacy, as ever, is eager to meet the challenge.  Both 'Mechs start trading fire at extreme range, but the modifiers for range, nighttime and gravity make even these two elite warriors likely to miss. The Blakist Thunderbolt starts trading with Blaine's Marauder II, but the gravity modifiers make any such shots impossible.

As both sides carefully advance in the low gravity, all shots are missing wide of the mark until Kristofur Blaine scores an improbable head shot with his Heavy Gauss Rifle!  Two 12s rolled back to back.  The T-Bolt goes down without scoring any damage.

Outmanned, Berith makes a slow retreat along a crater's rim.  He trades shots at extreme range, but can't seem to connect.

Stacy Church and Kristofur Blaine pick apart the enemy turret grid. 

A Level I of Purifiers pop out of the crater and launch an attack on Kristofur Blaine.  Blaine's hulking Marauder II torso twists towards the new threat.  A Heavy Gauss Slug smashes one Purifier deep into the ground, creating a new, deeper crater of it's own.  Stacy tags several Purifierswith her LBX-10 cluster shots.  One of her medium lasers vaporizes an already damaged trooper.  None of the Purifier support PPC attacks are able to force an armor breach on the Dragoon 'mechs. 

Berith and the remaining Purifiers retreat into an open bay door.  Stacy Church is reluctant to follow so quickly.

Berith and the troopers exit the scene on an elevator, descending somewhere into the depths of the asteroid.

Stacy Church and the rest of her widows secure the area, awaiting Marcel Webb and his team of Star Seeds to penetrate the facility.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #96 on: 16 July 2012, 03:52:01 »
Nice use of the Solaris map.

Glad to see The Spiders back in action.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #97 on: 19 July 2012, 06:02:11 »
Glad to see you are up and running again matey

Look forward to the Batreps
Go to red alert!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: 19 July 2012, 22:43:35 »
Thanks, gentlemen.  I've wanted to get back to the Black Widows for quite some time.  My small player group just started a Time of War RPG campaign which will feature several Wolfnet operatives as their stories weaves along with the Black Widows.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 13 July 2014, 21:16:35 »
Well, after about a year, my wife and I continued our campaign with another adventure with Stacy Church.  This time, Stacy and Jacob escaped a trap by Berith.  She just had to break past Achillius St. John and Rufus Black Bear. 

Playing Battletech in the backyard, a great summer afternoon!

Jacob scores some hits at range.  He doesn't do much damage, but he scores lots of hits that add up.

Achillius and Black Bear close to short range to maximize their firepower against the skilled Widows.  Stacy shreds Achillius' armor and forces him to withdraw.

Achillius is withdrawing, while Black Bear suffers from a heavy pounding.  Stacy's LB10/X  shears off the cockpit armor protecting Black Bear.  One more missile hit and he's dead.

The Black Widows are able to bring down Black Bear with massive crits to his right and center torso.  The Grigori falls when its engine is destroyed.

A typical match against the Black Widows....

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #100 on: 13 July 2014, 21:19:41 »
Berith barely got out there by skin of his metal hide!  Nice posting, wish i could play battletech on picnic table!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #101 on: 16 July 2014, 14:20:28 »
Glad to see this going again. I enjoy the AARs. I would love to game outside on a patio, but it stays too windy here.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #102 on: 18 July 2014, 20:27:13 »
We live in Denver so we are pretty lucky to have such a nice climate to play outside in.