Author Topic: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition  (Read 150407 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition
« Reply #120 on: 20 November 2019, 16:28:48 »
Unseen (1980s-2000s, previous 3025 era)
Project Phoenix/Reseen (2000s-2010s, 3060s)
Newseen/Classic (2010s-, 3025 era again)

This new one is the Classic. 

And apologies about the terminology Carlisimo. I'm sure the names are cut a bit fine and confusing to someone just joining the game/conversation. Just wait till someone gives you the rundown on the history of Battletech rules levels (I think we had something like five or six for awhile as the first half of Core Rulebooks were being written).
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #121 on: 20 November 2019, 16:29:18 »
I don’t understand. Isn’t this new one the reseen version?

The KS version has the body and head/horn of the original, while the arms seem to draw more from the Reseen.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2019, 16:45:33 by shivanwurm »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #122 on: 20 November 2019, 16:30:40 »
there are two "phoenix" versions for most of the unseen

TRO Project Phoenix (2003)

TRO 3085 (What I call Phoenix Mk II)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #123 on: 20 November 2019, 16:42:24 »
This new one is the Classic. 

That explains several conversations that left me confused.  I always assumed “Classic” referred to the original minis, some of which I don’t think I’ve ever seen.

I know about the Project Phoenix mechs, but I didn’t know “reseen” referred to those and not to the new, post-lawsuit designs.  I thought “reseen” meant that we were legally allowed to see and use the old designs again, albeit tweaked with modern detailing.  Thanks for the clarification!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #124 on: 20 November 2019, 16:49:44 »
Its like Coke if you are old enough . . . we had Coca-cola . . . then we got a new Coke . . . then b/c of market demand, we got back to the original flavor with Coca-Cola Classic-

Have we gotten a stand alone image of the Nova Cat?  I am curious about how it looks compared to the old- I think I might still prefer the old.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2019, 16:51:34 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #125 on: 20 November 2019, 17:10:57 »
Have we gotten a stand alone image of the Nova Cat?  I am curious about how it looks compared to the old- I think I might still prefer the old.

I'll be honest I'm not a big fan of clans (Oh, I love what they bring to the game) so I am pretty bad at my mech identification skills when it comes to them.

I say that because before other people named it, I was quietly thinking "what the heck did they do to my dragon?!" and that was the first that I wasn't happy with the direction they took for it.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #126 on: 20 November 2019, 17:13:32 »
I know about the Project Phoenix mechs, but I didn’t know “reseen” referred to those and not to the new, post-lawsuit designs.  I thought “reseen” meant that we were legally allowed to see and use the old designs again, albeit tweaked with modern detailing.  Thanks for the clarification!

Current, accurate description of people working out the correct names:
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #127 on: 20 November 2019, 18:13:44 »
Quirk: Intimidating.

Look, they have to avoid the MWO styling, and there's only so many ways to do a skull face. Unless you want to go back to Tusk Atlas, or Hockey Mask Atlas? ;)

I agree, but the new one kind of looks like a jack'o'lantern.

Then again this is, like, the 874th sculpt for the Atlas, so might as well mix it up, right?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #128 on: 20 November 2019, 18:15:49 »
The Alternate Box Set art is.....WOW! Great work by Marco Mazzoni

That's not the final artwork.  This is.

Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #129 on: 20 November 2019, 18:28:01 »
That's not the final artwork.  This is.

You're right, grabbed the wrong screen cap...cause you know, there was only like 5 different variants, was like playing spot the difference!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #130 on: 20 November 2019, 18:42:31 »
Interestingly, that packers colors camo scheme works for Clan Wolf Alpha Galaxy post-warden-exodus too.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #131 on: 20 November 2019, 18:59:01 »
That explains several conversations that left me confused.  I always assumed “Classic” referred to the original minis, some of which I don’t think I’ve ever seen.
Yeah, it's a little misleading. I prefer nuSeen. :D

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #132 on: 20 November 2019, 19:07:24 »
You're right, grabbed the wrong screen cap...cause you know, there was only like 5 different variants, was like playing spot the difference!

Full disclosure, I had to go back and forth a couple times to make sure I wasn't crazy.  ;)
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #133 on: 20 November 2019, 19:09:59 »
Classic works better as the "nuSeen" look closer to the original than the reseen (PP).

In any event, the classic crud would look better without the popeye arms, but they are still far better than the reseen.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #134 on: 20 November 2019, 19:20:56 »

And I think "nuSeen" sounds like some weird tween music genre. :P

If I point at one of the new Mechs and say "this is a Classic <name>" it's pretty obvious what I'm talking about, without having to explain to a new player what all of the XXXXseen terms mean.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #135 on: 20 November 2019, 19:32:43 »
Interestingly, that packers colors camo scheme works for Clan Wolf Alpha Galaxy post-warden-exodus too.

I thought Clan Wolf Alpha Galaxy was darker green with tan highlights, not jade green with yellow highlights. You can say it's kinda close, but the difference would noticeable if you put two minis side by side in these camos.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #136 on: 20 November 2019, 20:09:56 »
I'd always known it as Green and Yellow.

in MM, both the camo files I have for CWF Alpha have fairly strong yellow. The camos on camo specs seem a mixed bag. *Shrug* Some of them are definitely yellow, some I can see how you'd call it tan.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #137 on: 20 November 2019, 20:10:20 »
the only issue i have with the switch to forearm launchers on the crusader is that now they'll have to go through and fix the novels, which always describe the launchers as being in the shoulders. (also possibly any fluff in the TRO's referencing the placement.. which iirc is mainly the unlikely to be reprinted Project Phoenix)

I don't remember any of the novels describing the actual placement of the missile pods in the Crusader's arms, just that they were somewhere on the arms.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #138 on: 20 November 2019, 21:41:20 »
I can't remember which loadout it is, but isn't there a Summoner with LRM 15s or 20s in the arms that IWM gave shoulder launchers?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #139 on: 20 November 2019, 21:48:45 »
I don't remember any of the novels describing the actual placement of the missile pods in the Crusader's arms, just that they were somewhere on the arms.
i remember it being mentioned several times. usually when Galen Cox was piloting one in battle.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #140 on: 20 November 2019, 22:37:19 »
I can't remember which loadout it is, but isn't there a Summoner with LRM 15s or 20s in the arms that IWM gave shoulder launchers?

yup, Summoner B (though you can argue the launchers are part of the arms without being in the arms via some super shoulderpad tech). The Perseus Prime does the same trick

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #141 on: 20 November 2019, 23:10:10 »
the only issue i have with the switch to forearm launchers on the crusader is that now they'll have to go through and fix the novels, which always describe the launchers as being in the shoulders. (also possibly any fluff in the TRO's referencing the placement.. which iirc is mainly the unlikely to be reprinted Project Phoenix)

I also wish the launchers were in the shoulders, but I have decided to be OK with it.

The general silhouette is spot-on, and it includes a lot of other details I love in the torso plating and hip joints which just say "Crusader" to me.

If I get ambitious, I might try a conversion by puttying over the tubes, and adding some plastic missile doors to the shoulders, but I'm not sure it really needs it.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #142 on: 20 November 2019, 23:20:02 »

I prefer calling them what they are: Retcons.
I have spoken.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #143 on: 20 November 2019, 23:27:51 »
Not nearly specific enough. ;D
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #144 on: 21 November 2019, 00:09:11 »
i remember it being mentioned several times. usually when Galen Cox was piloting one in battle.

Oh, been a while since I read any of the books where Galen Cox was Galen Cox and not Jerrard Cranston.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #145 on: 21 November 2019, 03:58:57 »

Barring the Falcon insignia, that is
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #146 on: 21 November 2019, 08:15:52 »
Strange. I have one (single) item that was marked as Wave 2, the Initiative Deck.
Yet I there was no Single Wave option to be chosen. Is overseas shipping handled differently? Just curious.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #147 on: 21 November 2019, 08:19:21 »
Strange. I have one (single) item that was marked as Wave 2, the Initiative Deck.
Yet I there was no Single Wave option to be chosen. Is overseas shipping handled differently? Just curious.

It's giving me the option for one or two-wave shipping to Ireland.  But I have a ton of stuff from both waves.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #148 on: 21 November 2019, 08:42:31 »
another strange effect.
I just tried making a selection specifically only wave 1 items.
I still gives me both options at still different prices even though there should be no difference.
or is there difference that I am missing.

Brym

• Corporal
« Reply #149 on: 21 November 2019, 12:45:31 »
Does anyone have any idea when late backers are going to get the digital rewards that already went out to normal backers during and after the campaign?  Update #55 on the KS page notes, regarding digital rewards:

"We are providing redemption codes for the ProliferationCycle only at this time. Other items either aren't finished yet or they were provided through Kickstarter's email system. We will send them out again through there, in order to preserve any of them with exclusive status as much as possible."

I'm just curious if anyone has any clue when the "again" is going to happen.

Register