Author Topic: Clan Fire Mandrill: Monkey Talk  (Read 101712 times)

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
Clan Fire Mandrill: Monkey Talk
« on: 27 January 2011, 03:02:20 »

I'm sure there's at least PooFlinger fan out there, so here's their own thread.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2011, 09:52:28 by Copperhead »
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
Re: Clan Fire Mandrill: Monkey Shines
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2011, 03:08:15 »
I will have you to know, kind sir, that I do not fling "poo."  Unless that is the only weapon I have at my disposal.

Yeah, out of the loop, but Matilla Carrol supporter here.  Mandrills are my second faction.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Marlin

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2011, 05:13:08 »
I thought "Monkey Talks" would have been a suiting subtitle.

But some Kindraa are likeable. Example: Sainzes. :)
Get to know the ultimate combined arms experience for the Battletech universe! See link below.

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/board,105.0.html

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2011, 06:37:57 »
MUNKYMUNKYMUNKYMUNKY

The Mandrils are one of my favourtiest homeworld clans, possibly because they are completely back-arsed crazy but at the same time manage to make it work. Under-rated and defintely fun, but, being blunt - they're a homeworld clan, and thus are somewhat on the irrelivant side.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2011, 12:35:38 »

But some Kindraa are likeable. Example: Matilla Carrol. :)

There, fify.   :D

I kid, I kid.  They're a pretty interesting bunch.

"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
Re: Clan Fire Mandrill: Monkey Talk
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2011, 18:57:16 »
I played them in a campaign a while back and came to like them. I enjoy their color schemes and their typical units. I had a nice mix of Warhawks, Stormcrows, Cauldron Borns, Summoners, Predators, Crimson Langurs, Blood Kites (courtesy of Spirit allies), Salamander BA and all the Clan general IIC mechs. Plus the Mandrill is OK as a cheap LRM support mech (especially for sneaky indirect fire tactics where the chassis type doesn't really matter, just the launchers).

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2011, 23:00:24 »

But some Kindraa are likeable. Example: Sainzes. :)
What exactly makes the Sainzes likable?

Don't get me wrong: I like the idea and concept behind the Mandrills, but each Kindraa seems like a bunch of jerks to every other Kindraa.  None of them strike me as completely neutral.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2011, 23:06:51 »
What exactly makes the Sainzes likable?

Don't get me wrong: I like the idea and concept behind the Mandrills, but each Kindraa seems like a bunch of jerks to every other Kindraa.  None of them strike me as completely neutral.

I think that's kind of the whole idea.  The Clans as a whole, reduced into one Clan.  It's kind of like the family reunion where nobody gets along because they all think their branch of the family's better, and fights usually break out at Christmastime right after the Scrabble game. 
Five rounds, rapid!

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2011, 23:11:51 »
Kindra Sainze has a bit more badass value than the others. Some slight Kuritan stylings for those that like that too.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2011, 23:13:36 »
Yeah, that's the one that most people gravitate to.  Although we used to have a representative of the Kindraa Payne, though I haven't seen Brainburner in a while.
Five rounds, rapid!

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2011, 23:21:26 »
I think that's kind of the whole idea.  The Clans as a whole, reduced into one Clan.  It's kind of like the family reunion where nobody gets along because they all think their branch of the family's better, and fights usually break out at Christmastime right after the Scrabble game.
Yeah, I've always said the Mandrills are like "the Clans in miniature."  That's what makes them interesting.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Author Page
Official Website

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2011, 23:24:51 »
Kindra Sainze has a bit more badass value than the others. Some slight Kuritan stylings for those that like that too.
Oddly enough, Sainze in the very first Kindraa mentioned in the Kindraa lists...

Anyway, I like the idea of the Paynes' Warden views as a foil to the Sainzes' Crusader views, but I do not understand their complete disavowment of aerospace forces.  It's like they don't believe in them to the point that they act like they don't even exist.  Well, an aerial AC/20 might make a pretty big dent in their belief system once it swoops in blasts through their command couch...

Author Page
Official Website

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2011, 23:32:19 »
Maybe they stock up on LBX and large pulse lasers to compensate.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2011, 23:36:33 »
I do remember one Fire Mandrill Cluster that specifically trains in anti-air tactics (LB-X munitions and the like), but I can't recall if it's a Payne Cluster or not.  I don't think it was, but I've been wrong before.

Author Page
Official Website

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2011, 23:38:39 »
IIRC, they did suck up/got sucked up by the Beyl-Grant Kindraa, so at the least they now have some aerospace forces to fool around with.
Five rounds, rapid!

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2011, 23:41:42 »
BTW, if anyone's interested, here's a rather relevant iPhone wallpaper I made a while back:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48195482@N00/5034505406/

Author Page
Official Website

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 27 January 2011, 23:43:03 »
any chance you could post it directly on the forums, for some reason I have to be logged in to view it ???

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #17 on: 27 January 2011, 23:44:10 »
Hrm.  It's kinda big:

Author Page
Official Website

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 27 January 2011, 23:47:32 »
sorry for being difficult, but it looks really good O0

Raven Alliance

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 27 January 2011, 23:52:02 »
kindraa  mick kreese kline wil be ilkindraa, you can all be sure of that  [rockon]
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #20 on: 27 January 2011, 23:53:50 »
sorry for being difficult, but it looks really good O0
Hey, no problem.

I also made a Snow Raven one, if you're interested (but this is entirely the wrong thread for that, naturally).  Send me a PM or I can post in on the Ravens' thread (so long as they don't mind me hopping in for a bit)
« Last Edit: 27 January 2011, 23:55:36 by joechummer »

Author Page
Official Website

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #21 on: 27 January 2011, 23:54:43 »
kindraa  mick kreese kline wil be ilkindraa, you can all be sure of that  [rockon]
So what exactly is this ilKindraa deal?  I glossed over it in FM:U, but I don't think it really said what that actually entails...

Author Page
Official Website

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 27 January 2011, 23:55:55 »
Hey, no problem.

I also made a Snow Raven one, if you're interested (but this is entirely the wrong thread for that, naturally).

yeah post it up in the Ravens thread for sure.

Raven Alliance

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 27 January 2011, 23:59:43 »
So what exactly is this ilKindraa deal?  I glossed over it in FM:U, but I don't think it really said what that actually entails...

i'm actually a little fuzzy on what it is to, whether it entails conquoring other kindraa and making them bow down like losers, unification with a certain kindraa in the top spot cause they're awesome, just being the best, or being the last ones standing

is ilkindraa even the cannon word for it, i just remember seeing it posted a while back and i liked it, and i don't feel like pulling out CC to check
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #24 on: 28 January 2011, 00:01:42 »
I don't have FM:  U, but my understanding is that, yes, ilKindraa is canon.
Five rounds, rapid!

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 28 January 2011, 00:03:24 »
yeah they talk about it in the little blurb on Kindraa Mick-Kreese-Kline.

Raven Alliance

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 28 January 2011, 00:04:06 »
do you have a better idea than mine on what it means to be ilkindraa exactly, if not i think we've stumbled onto an interesting discussion point
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #27 on: 28 January 2011, 00:14:31 »
Well, the ilKhan is the supreme, wartime commander-in-chief of the Clans, and the ilClan is the Clan that reaches Terra first.

But the requirements for ilKindraa...?  What special achievement -- akin to being elected ilKhan by majority of the Grand Council or winning the ilClan-ship by conquering Terra -- would a Kindraa need to accomplish to be labeled the ilKindraa?  Be the first Kindraa to completely control all of their capital world of Shadow after kicking out all the other Kindraa, maybe? 

To be 100% honest, I think "ilKindraa" is a B.S. term that one of the Kindraa made up as an excuse to make the other Kindraa feel inferior.  It's like two kids playing:

A:  I'm the boss.
B:  Well then I'm the mega boss!
A:  Nuh uh!  I'm the ultra mega boss!
B:  PSH!  I'M the ultra super mega boss to infinity with no takebacks!
« Last Edit: 28 January 2011, 00:27:40 by joechummer »

Author Page
Official Website

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #28 on: 28 January 2011, 00:33:03 »
Well, the ilKhan is the supreme, wartime commander-in-chief of the Clans, and the ilClan is the Clan that reaches Terra first.

But the requirements for ilKindraa...?  What special achievement -- akin to being elected ilKhan by majority of the Grand Council or winning the ilClan-ship by conquering Terra -- would a Kindraa need to accomplish to be labeled the ilKindraa?  Be the first Kindraa to completely control all of their capital world of Shadow after kicking out all the other Kindraa, maybe? 

To be 100% honest, I think "ilKindraa" is a B.S. term that one of the Kindraa made up as an excuse to make the other Kindraa feel inferior.  It's like two kids playing:

A:  I'm the boss.
B:  Well then I'm the mega boss!
A:  Nuh uh!  I'm the ultra mega boss!
B:  PSH!  I'M the ultra super mega boss to infinity with no takebacks!

Sounds about right to me.
Five rounds, rapid!

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 28 January 2011, 00:37:22 »
ilKindraa = Uber Kindraa

That's all it means. The existing Kindraa have been on their present state more or less for generations. So when the Kindraa started teaming up, they needed a way to describe how these Kindraa had become "more than one Kindraa" and a new term was born.

For different reasons and under different circumstances they paired up. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those ilKindraa don't last. They each have been used to being in total command of their own destinies for so long, being subservant to another is likely to be chafing to some. But it really depends on the overall situation. If ilKindraa become the norm, then splitting off makes you appear as a suddenly weaker target of opportunity as a single Kindraa so that might not be a viable idea for some of the weaker ones.

Personally I've always liked Faraday-Tanaga. The Faraday bloodline seems to create excellent far-seeing and forward-thinking leaders. I also like their emphasis on scientific efforts.

On the outside looking in, it's easy to deride the Mandrills as a weak Clan and dismiss them. But from a roleplaying standpoint, playing a Mandrill character, or running a Kindraa, I've always viewed it as a really fun game or roleplaying opportunity.

Plus, they put SOO much emphasis on the bloodlines in this Clan. The bloodnames and bloodname houses are a big part of why I like the Clans. So it's hard for me not to like the Clan that put the most emphasis on the area I find the most fascinating. I loved that the Fire Mandrill section in FM: CC took the time to explain what bloodnames/bloodheritages each Kindraa had and how they used them, which bloodlines were superior at producing warriors of certain phenotypes, and which were the top dog names and so forth. That's the kind of detailed eugenics program/bloodname information I'd like to see on all the Clans.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2011, 00:48:47 by Alan Grant »

Register