Author Topic: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.  (Read 52320 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.
« on: 08 August 2021, 14:06:27 »
Since the old thread is almost to page 50, starting a new thread for the Wolves.

In addition to their new (currently small, but will grow) Allies in Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Smoke Jaguar, and their own surviving warriors, there is another force at hand as well. We see in units like the Stonehearts, that many republic warriors have left to pursue mercenary careers or sanctuary in the Federated Suns, but some remain. Some were taken captive during the fighting itsself. I suspect we will see those among the defeated RAF who are willing to cooperate, forming units within the new SLDF.

We also get a blurb from the Snow Ravens in HOTW, indicating that they will adhere to the results of the contest for ilClan. If the Horses attacked and were declared dezgra, that naval support could be hell on the horses.

Really, the matter is fairly simple. Proper Clan Warriors do not trial over and over again for the same objective after a loss. There is no official prohibition against doing so, it is honor that prevents that. If the Hell's Horses, or anyone else cannot honor the result of a fair combat trial, then perhaps they have lost their way and should be rehabilitated. Can they truly call themselves clan, if they cannot abide what fair combat has wrought?

Those who dislike the idea of ilClan Wolf are bound to grasp at straws and crow that the victory will not last. But what a massive waste of plot that would be. What a contradiction to what has been foreshadowed that would be.  They can gnash and wail all they want, I am unconvinced that the plot does not lead to the establishment of a third league under Clan Wolf.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2021, 14:14:43 »
If the Hell's Horses, or anyone else cannot honor the result of a fair combat trial, then perhaps they have lost their way and should be rehabilitated. Can they truly call themselves clan, if they cannot abide what fair combat has wrought?

Is it truly a fair Trial when the winner won not through force of arms alone, but by conscripting civilians to aid them above and beyond the limitations of their original bid?
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2021, 14:34:40 »
I'm more impressed your clan has the time to mint silver to be max petty than you took terra =p.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2021, 15:06:56 »
They have all those left over mints from previous occupants, like WoB, Comstar, Old Star League, Amaris Empire (Evil we Trust), Terra Hegemony, Terra Alliance, Western Alliance, United States (other assorted nations.), and the Franklin Mint. There plenty of plates print cash from.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2021, 15:37:23 »
Is it truly a fair Trial when the winner won not through force of arms alone, but by conscripting civilians to aid them above and beyond the limitations of their original bid?

Also Alric refusing a trail of refusal over the results on the grounds of "no i don't wonna <stamps feet like a toddler>"  :D
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2021, 16:09:36 »
We also get a blurb from the Snow Ravens in HOTW, indicating that they will adhere to the results of the contest for ilClan. If the Horses attacked and were declared dezgra, that naval support could be hell on the horses.

The Ravens accept the outcome of the Trial; however, support is contingent on whether it is in the interests of the Alliance.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2021, 16:31:18 »
The Sea Foxes support anyone with the cash!
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2021, 03:55:33 »
Oh great are going back to the Taint theory? Every Clan that does not adhere to Clan laws is a tainted clan? I know we don't get a new Reaving War in the Is but imho any Clan could actually trial for Terra again if they think that the current Ilclan is considered weak or acting against the Clan way. And Alaric will have to do that since he must have absorbed a lot of RAF forces. Then again his Wolf Empire isn't exactly Clan anymore right? How long until Freeborn Terrans occupy important positions within the Wolf Clan? Because that will happen sonner rather then later given the fact how outnumbered the "pure" Clanners actually are.

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2021, 07:30:33 »
Can someone shoot me a list of the books to read for the ilClan saga that comes before Hour of the Wolf?  I think I am going to be doing this like I did Twilight of the Clans and starting at the end and working my way backwards lol.  Makes it interesting but I just hoovered the ilClan Sourcebook this weekend and would really like to see more and hopefully find out what class of ships the Fire of the Republic and Shield of the Republic are along with others.

I'm hoping for a list or stats.  Something to describe them.  I doubt we will see it but here's hoping.

[EDIT]Oh and *waves Crayola drawn wolf flag* go Wolfies.  *apathetic cheer* Yea.[/EDIT]

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2021, 08:27:27 »
The Ravens accept the outcome of the Trial; however, support is contingent on whether it is in the interests of the Alliance.

Instead of asking, "What is in it for us?," the Ravens may now feel obligated to ask, "What is in it for us, ilKhan?"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2021, 09:30:09 »
    Can someone shoot me a list of the books to read for the ilClan saga that comes before Hour of the Wolf?  I think I am going to be doing this like I did Twilight of the Clans and starting at the end and working my way backwards lol.  Makes it interesting but I just hoovered the ilClan Sourcebook this weekend and would really like to see more and hopefully find out what class of ships the Fire of the Republic and Shield of the Republic are along with others.

I'm hoping for a list or stats.  Something to describe them.  I doubt we will see it but here's hoping.

[EDIT]Oh and *waves Crayola drawn wolf flag* go Wolfies.  *apathetic cheer* Yea.[/EDIT]

There no information (even in the sourcebook) on the Warships aside from what class (new) is the specialty Dropships Clan Wolf made. Piledriver (Ram Ship) and Jian Raid-Deployment Troop Special Ops DropShip

Book wise these too novellas are primary ones, that ultimately link to the main one, specialty Children which directly leads into it..

• Icons of War
    • Rock of the Republic
    • Divided We Fall
    • Honor's Gauntlet
    • Grey Watch Protocol - Book 1
    • Paid in Blood - Book 2
    • Children of Kerensky

EDIT: Fixed
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: 09 August 2021, 10:28:43 by Wrangler »
    "Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
    "No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
    "It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    « Reply #11 on: 09 August 2021, 10:11:28 »
    There no information (even in the sourcebook) on the Warships aside from what class (new) is the specialty Dropships Clan Wolf made. Piledriver (Ram Ship) and Jian Raid-Deployment Troop Special Ops DropShip

Book wise these too novellas are primary ones, that ultimately link to the main one, specialty Children which directly leads into it..

• Rock of the Republic
    • Divided We Fall
    • Honor's Gauntlet
    • Paid in Blood - Book 2
    • Children of Kerensky

Thanks 👍

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
    « Reply #12 on: 09 August 2021, 10:24:34 »

• Rock of the Republic
    • Divided We Fall
    • Honor's Gauntlet
    • Paid in Blood - Book 2
    • Children of Kerensky

Also Icons of War, if you’re wondering how one battleship in particular ended up there.

Wrangler

• Colonel
    • Dang it!
      • Battletech Fanon Wiki
    « Reply #13 on: 09 August 2021, 10:26:53 »
    Also Icons of War, if you’re wondering how one battleship in particular ended up there.
    oops

rebs

• Colonel
    • Et tu, Brute?
    « Reply #14 on: 09 August 2021, 10:32:18 »
    Icons of War is the most entertaining of the bunch, definitely do not forget that.
    Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
    Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
    https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
    « Reply #15 on: 09 August 2021, 10:40:58 »
    Icons of War is the most entertaining of the bunch, definitely do not forget that.

One might even say the ONLY entertaining one of the bunch.
    BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Nerroth

• Captain
    « Reply #16 on: 09 August 2021, 12:33:44 »
    I might also suggest taking a look at A Bonfire of Worlds, if you haven't picked that one up already.
    « Last Edit: 09 August 2021, 12:37:48 by Nerroth »

CJC070

• Lieutenant
    « Reply #17 on: 09 August 2021, 12:54:28 »

Two things wrong with that statement one the Ravens may respect the iKhan but they may not follow him or ask “what is in it for me?” And two personally I don’t want another two sided fight (ie Clan vs Inner Sphere or Word of Blake Jihad).  I find Battletech works best as a free for all. The Wolves may try to create the Third Star League but do not kid yourself it will be hard fought and more compromises than Aleksander Kerensky faced if he stayed after the Amaris coup.

Kitsune413

• Major
    • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
    « Reply #18 on: 09 August 2021, 18:30:16 »

Is it truly a fair trial when it involved Clan Jade Wolf, The Exiled Clan Wolf and Inner Sphere mercenaries?  ;D

It's a farce. But, I think the Wolves will get away with it.
    Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
    « Reply #19 on: 09 August 2021, 18:33:09 »
    The argument will be possession is nine-tenths of the law. Pretty typical Clanner stuff, really.
    BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    « Reply #20 on: 09 August 2021, 20:03:58 »
    I might also suggest taking a look at A Bonfire of Worlds, if you haven't picked that one up already.

That's like the only one I've read lol.

Generic Clanner 24601

• Corporal
    « Reply #21 on: 09 August 2021, 20:25:48 »
    Since the old thread is almost to page 50, starting a new thread for the Wolves.

In addition to their new (currently small, but will grow) Allies in Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Smoke Jaguar, and their own surviving warriors, there is another force at hand as well. We see in units like the Stonehearts, that many republic warriors have left to pursue mercenary careers or sanctuary in the Federated Suns, but some remain. Some were taken captive during the fighting itsself. I suspect we will see those among the defeated RAF who are willing to cooperate, forming units within the new SLDF.

Really, the matter is fairly simple. Proper Clan Warriors do not trial over and over again for the same objective after a loss. There is no official prohibition against doing so, it is honor that prevents that. If the Hell's Horses, or anyone else cannot honor the result of a fair combat trial, then perhaps they have lost their way and should be rehabilitated. Can they truly call themselves clan, if they cannot abide what fair combat has wrought?

Those who dislike the idea of ilClan Wolf are bound to grasp at straws and crow that the victory will not last. But what a massive waste of plot that would be. What a contradiction to what has been foreshadowed that would be.  They can gnash and wail all they want, I am unconvinced that the plot does not lead to the establishment of a third league under Clan Wolf.

The Hell's Horses would have the right of call for the a Trial of Refusal (and bound by it if they lose). Trialing for the same objective does happen. It happened to the Ravens in the Wars of Reavings where Clans would "totally not coordinate" to wear the Ravens down in a few trials so another could come in immediate and Trial for the same thing. In this case, it actually wouldn't be coordinated. And the Ravens would be no help since it would not look good for the Wolves admitting they need another Clan to help them hold Terra.

That said, I don't think the Hell's Horses will be able to overcome the Wolves. Simply put, the Jade Falcon vacuum is going to keep them busy. The Lyans and Bears will move in and they will either have to abandon all gains (and either move their full Clan like the Falcons or allow their supply lines to be cut off) or try to fight off both the Lyrans and Bears. I don't think this will leave with a force to just smash the Wolves. I don't see the Wolves losing anytime soon since losing Terra now would set them up for Annihilation or Absorption.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
    • Gott Mit Uns
      • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
    « Reply #22 on: 09 August 2021, 21:07:19 »
    Jian are called cutters and actually are small craft.
    Colt Ward
    Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kitsune413

• Major
    • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
    « Reply #23 on: 09 August 2021, 22:36:46 »
    The argument will be possession is nine-tenths of the law. Pretty typical Clanner stuff, really.

Yeah, but generally they run that play with mutually assured destruction. Other than the Fortress wall still running they could just be knocked out right now.

It'll slip by though.
    Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

CVB

• Captain
    « Reply #24 on: 10 August 2021, 01:58:37 »

Would you have a source/quote? I don't doubt you, I would just like to include the info in a little side project I'm slowly working on (a list of all the unstatted designs like the "Literally Never-seen" thread, but with sources and additional annotations).
    Thanks in advance!
    "Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
    - David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
    • Freelance Writer
    • Major
    • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
    « Reply #25 on: 10 August 2021, 02:03:37 »
    Literal text from IlClan
    Wolves sent Jian-class assault DropShips, fast vessels dubbed “cutters,”

CVB

• Captain
    « Reply #26 on: 10 August 2021, 02:26:19 »
    Literal text from IlClan

Thank you. So they are DS, not SC.
    "Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
    - David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    « Reply #27 on: 10 August 2021, 04:01:19 »
    Thank you. So they are DS, not SC.

They are probably SC.  But called DS.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
    • Gott Mit Uns
      • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
    « Reply #28 on: 10 August 2021, 07:52:33 »
    HotW said small craft IIRC, so guess it is time to check.  Otherwise we are talking something like Vampyres I guess.
    Colt Ward
    Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

CVB

• Captain
    « Reply #29 on: 10 August 2021, 07:57:00 »
    Will have to wait for my copy to arrive in Europe :drool: /  :'(
    - David Drake

Register