Author Topic: Discussion Sidequest: LAMs  (Read 6448 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
The best thing any BT fan can do about Harmony Gold is forget they exist.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Quadvees are LAM like, and arguably less useful. And study of quadvee tech is likely to help reverse engineer conversion system tech, which is the main 'lostech' involved with LAMs. Especially since odds are that there are a number of LAMs sitting in storage depots, private mechhangers, and museums which can be studied. (For that matter, one of the research and testing facilities of the Harvard Company on epsilon eridani, the company that made the wasp lam, was found during the republic era by Kressly War Works and turned into a mech factory. Who knows what blueprints, testing data, and even leftover prototypes they might have found and studied? Or sold to interested parties?)

LAMFAN

• Corporal
  • Powered by LAM Autism
Mods, can we get the LAM discussion off into its own thread? I mean, the Urbie LAM was one thing (and it’s not even part of the Merecnaries KS), but it looks like we’re gonna get into a whole LAM thing and it doesn’t belong here. Thanks.
Sounds good, we can move it elsewhere, but I was mostly done anyway. Just responding to stuff. We can clear out from here (though seriously, consider it please for the future  azn).

Abandons thread

Oh wait, nevermind, it just got separated from the main discussion.

Well, either way.

Quadvees are LAM like, and arguably less useful. And study of quadvee tech is likely to help reverse engineer conversion system tech, which is the main 'lostech' involved with LAMs. Especially since odds are that there are a number of LAMs sitting in storage depots, private mechhangers, and museums which can be studied. (For that matter, one of the research and testing facilities of the Harvard Company on epsilon eridani, the company that made the wasp lam, was found during the republic era by Kressly War Works and turned into a mech factory. Who knows what blueprints, testing data, and even leftover prototypes they might have found and studied? Or sold to interested parties?)

Glitterboy is on point. Reverse engineering any lost tech from existing LAMs would go a long way to actively bringing them back.

The best thing any BT fan can do about Harmony Gold is forget they exist.
No, the best thing any BT fan can do is spite them and rub their faces in their loss for originally taking away something fun from us.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2024, 14:46:57 by LAMFAN »
"It's called the Death Basket, because I'm riding this coffin all the way to Hell!"

CEO of Hamric Industries and Hamric's Hammers Mercenary Unit

Want to play with Air Mech's without the extra Battlemech/ASF mode of LAMs? Try Air-Slip Mechs!
AIR-SLIP MECH: LORE AND RULES

General308

• Captain
delete
« Last Edit: 08 March 2024, 15:23:20 by General308 »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Discussion Sidequest: LAMs
« Reply #34 on: 08 March 2024, 15:30:16 »
Oh, thank you for clarifying! Then yes, we should absolutely get updated mk2 models/artwork of LAMs to match current Stinger/Wasp/PHawks.
Quite a difficult endeavor, design-wise there is a lot more flexibility/leeway in the form of a 'Mech than that of an ASF.

Personally I think there is more of a future in doing the reverse of the mk2s, instead of making LAMs look like existing Mechs, it would be more useful to make LAMs look like existing ASFs (a mk3 if you will). Which would make ASF miniatures far more useful in the standard game.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2024, 15:33:50 by Maingunnery »
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
No, the best thing any BT fan can do is spite them and rub their faces in their loss for originally taking away something fun from us.

Why?  They don't care about you, or BattleTech, or that they lost.  It is a non-thing.  The only meaningful result of this attitude is looking like a petulant child that got their way on the playground.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Why?  They don't care about you, or BattleTech, or that they lost.  It is a non-thing.  The only meaningful result of this attitude is looking like a petulant child that got their way on the playground.

Sun Tzu Liao doing that is what triggered the Jihad, after all.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

General308

• Captain
Re: Discussion Sidequest: LAMs
« Reply #37 on: 08 March 2024, 16:05:32 »
I think they should.   And I haven't used one since like the early 90's.   I just never bought the they don't fit the universe garbage.     What they should be poistioned as is Special forces machines.  So rare and used for very specific roles.   

That said what I really want is a Waneta just mech.  Not a LAM in mech mode.  That is a cool looking little mini that we are just missing out on having as a mech only.

LAMFAN

• Corporal
  • Powered by LAM Autism
Well for one, the original designs before HG threw its fit were much better than current LAM versions, and we deserve to officially have the artwork updated to match the current designs, as mentioned before. We had the Unseens (Wasp, P-Hawk, etc) return to their original designs, or at least close enough to them that they look damn fine, so we deserve the same treatment for the LAMS.

The other meaningful result is that HG can't do jack about it, and we have LAMs that look similar to their original design without that joke of a company getting in the way.

And that's not an accurate analogy; it would be more analogous to say:
Its like a kid who finally smacked the bully in the nose, and went to play on the swingset he was being kept from by said bully, flipping him the bird before going to enjoy himself while the bully doesn't dare try to pull the same crap again for fear of another smack.

I think they should.   And I haven't used one since like the early 90's.   I just never bought the they don't fit the universe garbage.     What they should be poistioned as is Special forces machines.  So rare and used for very specific roles.   

That said what I really want is a Waneta just mech.  Not a LAM in mech mode.  That is a cool looking little mini that we are just missing out on having as a mech only.
The "they don't fit the universe" crap is a lazy non-argument. Plenty of things DON'T fit the universe, like Aliens or artificial gravity (as opposed to the simulated gravity during 1g burn). LAM's aren't one of them, and they're an existing technology with a lot of potential to be brought back, especially as Special forces, like you said.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2024, 16:12:24 by LAMFAN »
"It's called the Death Basket, because I'm riding this coffin all the way to Hell!"

Want to play with Air Mech's without the extra Battlemech/ASF mode of LAMs? Try Air-Slip Mechs!

LAMFAN

• Corporal
  • Powered by LAM Autism
Re: Upcoming Releases XXIX: First Annual 29th Birthday
« Reply #39 on: 08 March 2024, 16:44:30 »
I am disappointed the Urbie LAM isn't canonized.  :undecided: I guess there too much dislikes from people whom don't like LAMs.   Sad.

Thanks for making the UrbieMech LAM miniature.
You're not wrong, there's always going to be people who have incorrect opinions on LAMs (and yes, they are INCORRECT opinions, fight me). Thankfully there's a few who shine through to support them like they deserve.

Urbanmech LAM makes sense being non-canon, though. That is unless they switch some stuff around for it (have to improve that engine rating at LEAST so you have a 3 JMP).

Either way, I'm taking full advantage to push for improvements to the LAM rules AT LEAST, or to have a resurgence of them in the future of the setting.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Re: Re: Upcoming Releases XXIX: First Annual 29th Birthday
« Reply #40 on: 08 March 2024, 16:50:40 »
I didn't have an opinion on LAMs either way until Tyler Jorgensson recently pointed out to me that amazing LAM battle in the 1st Succession War Historical where they landed on the Combine Samarkand carrier and wasted it from the inside. That was such a cool battle and I'd love to see it played out on tabletop. I'm hoping that maybe one day the Raven Alliance might start making LAMs. I feel like they'd really get some mileage out of them.

(I belatedly realized this got spun into a separate thread. Apologies, mods, I didn't see until after.)
« Last Edit: 08 March 2024, 16:54:29 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
Make their use not only less janky, but actually useful... then work it into the story as a middle finger to the ilClan.  Effective LAMs are part our response to your 'so-called' Star League.  Come get some!

Careful what you wish for. Let the Ravens get ahold of LAM technology and watch them do it ten times better. :evil:
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

LAMFAN

• Corporal
  • Powered by LAM Autism
Re: Re: Upcoming Releases XXIX: First Annual 29th Birthday
« Reply #42 on: 08 March 2024, 17:01:38 »
(I belatedly realized this got spun into a separate thread. Apologies, mods, I didn't see until after.)

Oh no you're fine, that was a different thread that got spun off into another.

LAMFAN

• Corporal
  • Powered by LAM Autism
Careful what you wish for. Let the Ravens get ahold of LAM technology and watch them do it ten times better. :evil:
They might make it 10 times better, but the IS would still have 20 times the number.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
They might make it 10 times better, but the IS would still have 20 times the number.

More targets for me to shoot down. :)

General308

• Captain

10 times better?  Congrats for the first time the Ravens would be close to being relvant.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
10 times better?  Congrats for the first time the Ravens would be close to being relvant.

"Relevant" is subjective.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Discussion Sidequest: LAMs
« Reply #47 on: 08 March 2024, 17:19:43 »
their role in the palmyra disaster seems relevant.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

LAMFAN

• Corporal