Author Topic: BatReps & more - DFA Wargaming  (Read 2601 times)

kevinrpeters

• Recruit
    • Death from Above Wargaming
BatReps & more - DFA Wargaming
« on: 10 March 2019, 23:24:48 »
Greetings BattleTech fans!

My friends and I have embarked on a project to share our BattleTech adventures, trade-craft, and insights, with the community at large. We started this journey by just doing what we love to; getting together weekly for wargaming and role play on the tabletop. By chance, our nostalgia in both the early days of the tabletop and the MechWarrior game series were reawakened. We couldn't stop having fun with it, and we kept digging deeper into the lore, advanced rules, and hobby arts. Fast-forward, we came to the realization that the franchise was at the onset of a revival, and so we set out a goal to give back to the game and players what we could not find quite enough of in our development. We want to share battle reports, tutorials, analysis, and cool stuff we discover in the BattleTech tabletop game and universe, in the hopes that we can entertain green pilots and veterans alike, as well as attract new recruits to the world we love.  Thus began, Death from Above Wargaming.

Here is our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_xMm_aIho2WrES4ukI_yw, where you can find playlists for battle reports, hobby tutorials, and a how-to-play series.  We are trying to keep a steady stream of these coming out, weekly, if schedules permit.  Please subscribe and join the conversations!

We also started a blog: http://dfawargaming.com, where we get into some of the deeper discussions around our house rules, mech reviews, customizations, or whatever else comes up in our evolution.

Hope you enjoy,

- Kevin

« Last Edit: 17 March 2019, 12:24:51 by kevinrpeters »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Hello from DFA Wargaming
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2019, 08:11:48 »
Hey there :) Thanks for the info, sounds good :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2019, 19:53:34 »
Welcome to the forum!  Please continue to post links here as you update!  :thumbsup:

kevinrpeters

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2019, 18:49:33 »

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
Re: BatReps & more - DFA Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2019, 23:35:12 »
What an awesome channel. I really think two of your house rules are very clever. I figured most game time was spent with dice rolls and counting hexes for movement (to get the best Target Modifier).

Group Fire is a very good idea. 1d6 Pilot die, #d6 representing each weapon, roll at once. For location, re-roll using the weapon die's that hit with the pilot die. That's pretty dang quick without changing the game. Bravo.  :clap:

Cluster weapons, I'm not really sure about how I feel about it, but it is still something to consider if the effect is pretty close to that of the actual chart. It's one of the more well-argued and thought out solutions I have seen, without resorting to the "box of doom." EDIT: This method seems to work well for weapons that account for per-missile or bullet hits, like SRM's and LB-X. LRM's doing full damage per cluster seems like it's a bit much. I almost feel like you can track LRM's by rolling 1d6 per missile on LRM5, 1d6 per 2 missiles on LRM10, 1d6 per 3 missiles on LRM-15, 1d6 per 4 missiles on LRM-20. So you're rolling 5 dice for each weapon. Then, after the clusters are figured out, apply it in 5 point damage clusters. I think this damage is more on par with the averages on the cluster hit table, but I could be very wrong. So roll to hit for an LRM-20. Roll cluster (5d6, result 1,1,4,5,3, so 3 clusters hit at 12 damage, roll 3 locations). I figure you can keep the black die, but have the minimal damage cluster as a translucent die or some other color.

Good luck getting the old guys here to change their minds, though.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2019, 00:27:30 by Fear Factory »
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

kevinrpeters

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2019, 00:57:41 »
What an awesome channel. I really think two of your house rules are very clever. I figured most game time was spent with dice rolls and counting hexes for movement (to get the best Target Modifier).

Group Fire is a very good idea. 1d6 Pilot die, #d6 representing each weapon, roll at once. For location, re-roll using the weapon die's that hit with the pilot die. That's pretty dang quick without changing the game. Bravo.  :clap:

Cluster weapons, I'm not really sure about how I feel about it, but it is still something to consider if the effect is pretty close to that of the actual chart. It's one of the more well-argued and thought out solutions I have seen, without resorting to the "box of doom."

Good luck getting the old guys here to change their minds, though.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Group Fire, aka the "Pilot Die", is something we found really efficient, and in some way, more natural to shooting, i.e., weapons firing in groups and the aim/focus of the pilot in that moment. I should note that while the statistics show no change, you will observe more bang or bust moments. Considering our games go 8-12 rounds, the averages don't always play out, and a few lucky/unlucky pilot die can really swing a match.

Cluster rolls are similar in that the averages show little difference, but the damage comes in denser waves. With this one, we just hit our limit with table lookups, cheat sheets, or memorization.

That said, we're not out to change any minds.  We really just needed to share our house rules so people can make sense of our batreps.  If it happens to spark a conversation or evolution in other's game sessions, then all the better!
« Last Edit: 19 March 2019, 01:00:40 by kevinrpeters »

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2019, 07:51:00 »
Glad you enjoyed it!

Group Fire, aka the "Pilot Die", is something we found really efficient, and in some way, more natural to shooting, i.e., weapons firing in groups and the aim/focus of the pilot in that moment. I should note that while the statistics show no change, you will observe more bang or bust moments. Considering our games go 8-12 rounds, the averages don't always play out, and a few lucky/unlucky pilot die can really swing a match.

Cluster rolls are similar in that the averages show little difference, but the damage comes in denser waves. With this one, we just hit our limit with table lookups, cheat sheets, or memorization.

That said, we're not out to change any minds.  We really just needed to share our house rules so people can make sense of our batreps.  If it happens to spark a conversation or evolution in other's game sessions, then all the better!

Fair enough, just offering some input.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Errant Jones

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2019, 11:38:05 »
You guys have some great production values, an easy to read and clean designed website, and some fun videos. The pilot die is a great idea, but the real gem is the color coded/size coded dice for weapon fire resolution. It's a great visual aid to tell what's happening in the game.

Great channel!

kevinrpeters

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2019, 14:54:09 »

Register