Author Topic: New Character Creator on the Block  (Read 25473 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: New Character Creator on the Block
« Reply #30 on: 02 November 2015, 14:10:00 »
What does "tag" do?

Replying in-thread means it shows up on one's "show new replies" list. Calling it a tag is colloquial. It's usually bad form to simply "tag", so nicer to give some encouragement or feedback.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 03 November 2015, 17:58:56 »
Give LibreOffice a try so you let that 10 year old Excel die ;)  No need to necessarily purchase a new version if you do not use it often which is why I am always turning people on to LibreOffice.

LibreOffice dose not work as well (open office also dose not work)

In both cases it loads and has partial functionality but a lot of stuff dose not work for example in LibreOffice the starting XP drop down tab on the character selection tab has is completely blank, theirs something their but nothing shows up or functions.
Life module selection has items showing up as N/A or also blank
The other pages are full of #N/A entrys

Open office takes forever to load and has the same issues.

I don't know open office. I would assume that it is similar to Excel, but not close enough that it works. However, I don't think $70 a year is that much for all of the office suite.

I am sorry for those of you that don't have excel. I am still working on keeping this up to date with fixes for me to take time out to learn why it isn't working.

I do give permission for anyone that wants to take on the task of converting it to work on open office though.
Thats way to expensive for something I do not use enough to justify the cost of 70$ per year, which is fairly cheap though.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2015, 18:01:38 by Nebfer »

gigobyte

• Sergeant
  • Rock'em Sock'em Robots that I don't get bored of.
« Reply #32 on: 12 November 2015, 09:01:19 »
Besides the "I can't use it because I do not have Office" does any one have feedback?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #33 on: 13 November 2015, 05:10:41 »
It's very pretty, but I think I'm going to continue fixing my spreadsheet.  When I'm working on a large number of NPCs, it's easier for me to have all the calculations on a single worksheet.  A couple of quick things I noticed:

The starting XP block should have an option for entering any number.  The JumpShip captain I'm using as a stress test of my spreadsheet uses 9,000 XP to start.

The "Optional Creation" selection should be labeled more specifically.  The words "Alternate Starting Allotment" don't exist on page 49, so anyone doing a word search may not catch the reference right away.

I'll try to open it with OpenOffice (or LibreOffice, I forget which one is on my laptop) later today when I'm on the train.

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 13 November 2015, 08:50:07 »
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I will start looking into this this weekend.

I created an NPC sheet as well, check it out in my signature :) It is real simple.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 13 November 2015, 18:01:18 »
LibreOffice 3.5 doesn't like some of the drop down menus (they have the right number of selections, but they're all blank).  It appears to be random whether a menu will work or not, and I have no idea why.  Sorry!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 15 November 2015, 08:31:57 »
I just discovered a hole in the higher education implementation in trying to help freakacid with his questions.  It appears to be impossible to select a second "Advanced" field, which is explicitly permitted on page 70 (the third bullet under "Master Schools List"):
Quote from: AToW Page 70
The player may not choose more than three Fields in total for a school. (Choosing a second Advanced Field is a viable option for a third Field, as is selecting a Special Training Field.)

Also, on the Attribute Selection sheet there's a spelling error: "Flexible" is incorrectly spelled "Flexable" in both  the "Choice/Flexible XP" block and the footnote for that block.  I also see it's misspelled on the Attribute sheets.  I recommend doing a global find and replace throughout the workbook.

Working through this, I see one critical difference between our spreadsheets.  I tried to program mine to do optimization automatically where yours is manual.  Granted, I'm assuming all the Flex requirements are simply met during optimization (my rationale being that with all those points sloshing around, they're bound to be met), where yours explicitly lists them as reminders for the user the to meet.

If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send you my current version (which I'll eventually post if I get it fully functioning).  I'm not an interface guy, so it's pretty ugly.  Calan (another poster several years back) gave me some more elegant formulas to use, but I haven't quite wrapped my head around them, so they're only where he put them in.

freakacid

• Private
« Reply #37 on: 19 November 2015, 14:36:50 »
one short question:
On my character sheet it says +X to some skills (Solaris night life, Comm. HPG),
Is there a mistake in my char, or what does that mean?
thank you!

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 19 November 2015, 15:26:17 »
It means you have points in it, but not the minimum of 20 to make it a +0.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #39 on: 20 November 2015, 11:35:49 »
This is great work Gigobyte! Keep it up!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #40 on: 18 December 2015, 05:15:41 »
Hey Gigobyte: 1st off: Awesome char gen sheet / prog, Just frakkin' awesome !!!! One thing I noticed is that the user can't build a Republic of The Sphere character ?? Did I miss something ??
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 18 December 2015, 12:12:48 »
I only inputted the data from the main rule book, not any of the splat or era books. Sorry. it is not locked so if you would like to take that task up, feel free. Again sorry, but I am not into putting any more data into the sheet just corrections.

freakacid

• Private
« Reply #42 on: 07 January 2016, 12:29:04 »
hi!

thank you for the great work. One of my players had a problem: "hww to show weapons in character sheet?",

he selected the weaopn in the sheet, but it did not show up? Any Idea what might be wrong? I dont have the file here, but will be able to get it.

all the best,

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 08 January 2016, 08:49:10 »
What weapon, so I can see if I can replicate it...? Thanks.

freakacid

• Private
« Reply #44 on: 09 January 2016, 21:21:29 »
he has two axes, a shotgun and a autopistol

i assume now he just needs to put in the data manually, which he did not realize

shadowmantis

• Recruit
« Reply #45 on: 11 July 2016, 08:03:08 »
issue sovled/figured out, post can be deleted or left
« Last Edit: 11 July 2016, 21:03:15 by shadowmantis »

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
« Reply #46 on: 29 August 2016, 10:38:54 »
I have been using your spreadsheet v6 and v7 to make a variety of advanced NPCs for regular usage with specific pasts so lifepaths matter a lot.

As other have stated in the past, melee as well as small and large ranged weapons do not display on the character sheet. It seems they are not pointing to the correct information thus not displaying correctly on the character sheet.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2016, 07:25:52 by hive_angel »
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 18 September 2016, 22:06:10 »
I have been using your spreadsheet v6 and v7 to make a variety of advanced NPCs for regular usage with specific pasts so lifepaths matter a lot.

As other have stated in the past, melee as well as small and large ranged weapons do not display on the character sheet. It seems they are not pointing to the correct information thus not displaying correctly on the character sheet.

Where can I find V7?  has there been further revision since the last post?

Also .... why does the spreadsheet start out deducting 850 XP before I select anything at all?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 18 September 2016, 22:17:21 by GOTHIK »

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 19 September 2016, 00:16:34 »
Where can I find V7?  has there been further revision since the last post?

Also .... why does the spreadsheet start out deducting 850 XP before I select anything at all?

Thanks!
the 850 xp is the "hidden" cost for being alive, called Universal Fixed Experience Points its on page 52 of atow as the last part of stage 0 (affiliation)
its 100 xp for each attribute, language affiliation primary or secondary, language English 20 xp, and perception 10 xp

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 19 September 2016, 06:52:52 »
the 850 xp is the "hidden" cost for being alive, called Universal Fixed Experience Points its on page 52 of atow as the last part of stage 0 (affiliation)
its 100 xp for each attribute, language affiliation primary or secondary, language English 20 xp, and perception 10 xp

Doh!  Thank you!

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
« Reply #50 on: 19 September 2016, 07:28:02 »
Actually the character sheet is doing exactly fine on my end now. The problems I was having must have been on a macro or something it needs disabled system. I think it might be doing a few things incorrectly, but otherwise for the majority it is a top notch free fan product.

I got V7 from the creator through an email. I can share, but only if he allows it.
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 24 September 2016, 20:49:40 »
I'm using V6.

I have a few concerns so far that all center around aging the character:

Changing the date of birth on the "Character Selection" page does not seem to affect the "In Game" years or XP on the "Journal" page.  Nor does it seem to affect the Attributes on the "Attributes Selection" page.

Changing the "In Game" years on the "Journal" page does affect the Attributes on the "Attributes Selection" page, but not the XP on the "Journal" page.

In order to have the character's age accurately reflected on the "Character Sheet" page however, only the date of birth on the "Character Selection" page, because if the "In Game" years field is also modified to accurately effect the Attributes on the "Attributes Selection" page, the characters age on the "Character Sheet" page is effectively modified twice.

Additionally, switching to (or from) "Standard Character Creation" and "Alternate Starting Allotment (p. 49 ATOW)" on the "Character Selection" page seems to have no bearing on this either way.

How do I either fix or work around these issues?

Thank you in advance for your help!

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: 07 November 2016, 11:25:38 »
I'm using V6.

I have a few concerns so far that all center around aging the character:Changing the date of birth on the "Character Selection" page does not seem to affect the "In Game" years or XP on the "Journal" page.  Nor does it seem to affect the Attributes on the "Attributes Selection" page.

I just did a checkup, I have it working on my end. I created a character selected several life paths, all and all...they added up to 19 years old, looked at attributes, then changed the birth year to make the test character 30 years old and significant changed were added. I also added 11 years to the journal to years played and the same changes were present, showing that the total age on both tests were 30 years old.

Changing the "In Game" years on the "Journal" page does affect the Attributes on the "Attributes Selection" page, but not the XP on the "Journal" page.

It wouldn't as I have spoke to several GM's and some like to give out exp for playing some like to give out 100 per year no matter what...all preference.

In order to have the character's age accurately reflected on the "Character Sheet" page however, only the date of birth on the "Character Selection" page, because if the "In Game" years field is also modified to accurately effect the Attributes on the "Attributes Selection" page, the characters age on the "Character Sheet" page is effectively modified twice.

Could you clarify this more...not understanding.

Additionally, switching to (or from) "Standard Character Creation" and "Alternate Starting Allotment (p. 49 ATOW)" on the "Character Selection" page seems to have no bearing on this either way. How do I either fix or work around these issues?

The alternate is extra exp is awarded for character older then "X" amount of years as per the book, and I have it working.

Hanekem

• Recruit
« Reply #53 on: 18 November 2016, 16:54:56 »
Hi, Excelent work with this, could use a bit more explaining, but I understand it is a work in progress.

Anyway, for some reason I am having an issue selecting Small Arms (both small and larger ones), no mater what I choose in the drop down I get nothing but junk in the data fields

EDIT: fixed a bit the text to make the situation more clear.
« Last Edit: 18 November 2016, 17:04:05 by Hanekem »