Author Topic: Uniform Artwork from Project Zhukov and Project Nelson.  (Read 4162 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Uniform Artwork from Project Zhukov and Project Nelson.
« on: 17 December 2020, 07:25:23 »
Because i'm always super happy with how these turned out I want to talk about them for a minute. In the Clan sourcebooks we do get either pictures of the field and dress uniforms or descriptions of them and this helped shape the outcome as drawn by a wonderfully skilled artist friend of mine.

We had a lot of fun talking about them and working on the design, and with them, we tried to stay true to the original description or picture but with her artistic spin on it.

Lincoln Osis here was the one that required the least work, the original picture showed the Smoke Jaguar's dress uniform had a somewhat stylized animal face on the front so that was retained and otherwise its as per the description.

Star Captain Victor Malthus of Clan Jade Falcon required more work. The description of the Jade Falcon's dress uniform was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry 1970's/80's and would have looked like something more out of Battle of the Planets than we were comfortable with. The original description was

Reserved for more formal situations, the Jade Falcon dress uniform consist of a jacket with a black chest piece, with green breasts and arms along with emerald piping. A bright yellow collar and the "Falcon's Talons" - three bright yellow slashes on the shoulder complete the jacket. The trousers are green and black with emerald piping, tucked into knee-high black boots. A long emerald green cloak, lined with yellow, completes the uniform.

The cadet variant of the dress uniform follows the same pattern, but with red piping on the sleeves and legs, and with a red-lined instead of yellow-lined cloak. Rank Insignias are worn on the collar. Trueborns wear the engraved belt buckle denoting there service branch, while freeborns and second-line trueborns do not. Both wear a blackened metal belt buckle of the Jade Falcon insignia instead.

And the image backed it up, the cloak originally connected to the upper shoulders and seemed permanently attached to the uniform, so this was changed to be over the shoulders, and held on by the now shorter 'claws' and the big golden 'beak'. This beak then can be split down the middle and the claws removed to leave you with a perfectly workable workday uniform/jump suit and makes it less encumbering as you can take the cloak off and not have to worry about sitting on the damn thing.

saKhan Yana Fletcher of Clan Hell's Horses was also fun to work on. Originally described as

The Hell's Horses dress uniform is a simple red jacket, trimmed with black leather, over a black high collar undershirt. A single pentagonal gold button, matching the jacket's cuff links is pinned to the right flap of the uniform, over the wearer's left breast. A simple, black leather belt at the waist, a ceremonial sword may be worn. Red trousers trimmed with black leather and polished blacked leather shoes complete the uniform. Hell's Horse warriors wear black leather gloves with the dress uniform.

This was quite simple to do as it sounds like many military No 2's dress uniforms, the big change was with the colour of the trousers. Because with him wearing a red jacked and with red pants, it looked more like a very posh crimson onesie, which resulted in the trousers being black but with red piping to carry on some of the original effect.

Star Admiral Alecia Sukhanov of Clan Snow Raven was the biggest challenge as there was no image for the uniform and the description of it sounded either 'special' at best or a hot mess at worst.

A snug-fitting, snow white woolen jacket and trousers is the Snow Raven's dress uniform. Black chevrons cover the upper torso and back, crossing the flared shoulders and merging with the black full length cape. Black boots and belt complete the uniform

And we just couldn't visualise it so we binned the majority of it, and instead went with using Director Krennec's uniform from Rogue One as inspiration and went with a military style jacket and a simple long cloak instead of the flared shoulders nonsense.

There was also this image of a Ghost Bear Star Colonel

and like the Smoke Jag's one, this required the least work as the Ghost Bear's uniform, save the 'bear claws' on the shoulders are very similar to British army No 2 Dress uniform, save the colour change.

As always, thoughts and comments are most welcome!

Drawn by the amazing - https://www.deviantart.com/jinsonlygurl and https://www.deviantart.com/stefanomarinetti
« Last Edit: 17 December 2020, 08:34:28 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Uniform Artwork from Project Zhukov and Project Nelson.
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2020, 09:10:15 »

Those ones are really good, especially the two top ones as they convey emotion.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2020, 10:21:25 »
One I somehow forgot is this take on a Aerospace pilot's outfit. In the Zhukov setting the Aerospace phenotype is different, instead of being midgets with no muscle mass and big heads, the Aerospace Phenotype is still 'small' with your average Aero being around 5'4 ish, but they're all built like gymnasts with a lot of powerful but not overly defined muscle

Less - and more

The flightsuit is also doubling as a space suit and has features like armoured chest (front and back) as well as protection on the thighs and other parts to protect against spalling and tearing. Going into battle in space or the upper atmo of a planet wearing a thong and a neurohelmet is not an option, nor is the battle bikini.

The helmet is a fully integrated neurohelmet with eye motion tracking controls (the red 'bug eye' bits at the top of the faceplate) as well as room for an oxygen mask (the gap between the helmets mandibles) and the helmet is inspired by those worn by F-35 pilots. The suit is also a G-suit and would inflate around the legs/arms under heavy G loads to stop blood pooling. A Mechwarrior's garb would be similar, again armour to protect against spalling damage taken as sitting there in a pair of shorts is asking to get the femoral artery on the inside of your thigh cut by a bit of your cockpit. And for both aero jocks and Mechwarriors there would be the full range of neck and whiplash protection and they'd be strapped in tight, a simple cross harness wouldn't cut it.

Drawn by the superb https://www.deviantart.com/stefanomarinetti
« Last Edit: 17 December 2020, 10:29:00 by marauder648 »

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2020, 14:14:18 »
Because i'm always super happy with how these turned out I want to talk about them for a minute. In the Clan sourcebooks we do get either pictures of the field and dress uniforms or descriptions of them and this helped shape the outcome as drawn by a wonderfully skilled artist friend of mine.

We had a lot of fun talking about them and working on the design, and with them, we tried to stay true to the original description or picture but with her artistic spin on it.

Lincoln Osis here was the one that required the least work, the original picture showed the Smoke Jaguar's dress uniform had a somewhat stylized animal face on the front so that was retained and otherwise its as per the description.

Star Captain Victor Malthus of Clan Jade Falcon required more work. The description of the Jade Falcon's dress uniform was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry 1970's/80's and would have looked like something more out of Battle of the Planets than we were comfortable with. The original description was

And the image backed it up, the cloak originally connected to the upper shoulders and seemed permanently attached to the uniform, so this was changed to be over the shoulders, and held on by the now shorter 'claws' and the big golden 'beak'. This beak then can be split down the middle and the claws removed to leave you with a perfectly workable workday uniform/jump suit and makes it less encumbering as you can take the cloak off and not have to worry about sitting on the damn thing.

saKhan Yana Fletcher of Clan Hell's Horses was also fun to work on. Originally described as

This was quite simple to do as it sounds like many military No 2's dress uniforms, the big change was with the colour of the trousers. Because with him wearing a red jacked and with red pants, it looked more like a very posh crimson onesie, which resulted in the trousers being black but with red piping to carry on some of the original effect.

Star Admiral Alecia Sukhanov of Clan Snow Raven was the biggest challenge as there was no image for the uniform and the description of it sounded either 'special' at best or a hot mess at worst.

And we just couldn't visualise it so we binned the majority of it, and instead went with using Director Krennec's uniform from Rogue One as inspiration and went with a military style jacket and a simple long cloak instead of the flared shoulders nonsense.

There was also this image of a Ghost Bear Star Colonel

and like the Smoke Jag's one, this required the least work as the Ghost Bear's uniform, save the 'bear claws' on the shoulders are very similar to British army No 2 Dress uniform, save the colour change.

As always, thoughts and comments are most welcome!

Drawn by the amazing - https://www.deviantart.com/jinsonlygurl and https://www.deviantart.com/stefanomarinetti

Still love these.

But the irreverence overwhelms me and I must ask; Can this man wipe his own bum; or is there a lower-caste-person for that? Those are some impressively large arms there.

Dark and gritty twist; all Elementals are permanently medically catheterized and it's not a problem?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2020, 03:48:24 »
I always think that Elementals throw us off mentally because honestly, how often do we as people see anyone in the 7' tall mark that's not a basketball player. And Elementals are not built like them. The chap who played The Mountain in Game Of Thrones is 6'7 (2.05 meters) tall and he'd be around the base area for an Elemental as they can be anywhere between 2 - 2.5 meters (or 8'2) tall on average.

And we know from their lore that Elementals are heavily built, even moreso than Hathor there. So not only are these guys tall, like massively tall outside of our usual frame of reference tall, they're MASSIVE. String beans they are not and whilst these are comic book characters, it's probably closer to the scale and everything that comes with Elementals, at least in the 2nd and 3rd guy's cases, because everything would scale up if they were to be in proportion.

Its why i'm always irked when I see someone saying that a normal human could wear an Elemental suit. In theory, yes. If you flooded the boots with stuff to mean you wasn't sitting on the crotchplate that BA has. Or you adjust the legs to shorten them down and then you'd have to somehow compress the body.

The human male average is around 5'9 ish tall and as a banana for comparison when stood next to a 7' tall elemental outside of their suit you have this

https://www.mrinitialman.com/OddsEnds/Sizes/sizes.html?base_ft=5&base_in=9&comp_ft=7&comp_in=0

So out of their armour, you'd be eye level with an Elemental's chest. There's simply no way that a normal human can pop into a Elemental suit and wear it without it being HEAVILY altered because of the simple fact that even if you did get inside it, you'd be sitting with your legs spread wide apart on the crotch bit, your feet dangling at about the shin area and the vision port for the eyes (and HUD) a good foot over your head.

« Last Edit: 18 December 2020, 07:44:06 by marauder648 »

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2020, 18:44:38 »
Still Love all that you have done with your team brother.  Keep it up.  This COVID has had me thinking and as soon as I can come out of isolation and get my computer back I'm going to hit the word processor and catch up with where I left off on the last story.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2020, 16:05:02 »
First, art is looking great!

On elementals: I would imagine the interior of elemental suits are made to be versatile with adjustable foot pads & grips for the controls as with the deep sea diving hard suits they are based on as not every elemental would be the same size and it would make sense to make the suits as universal as possible.

As for the size of Elemental soldiers, I have mix options. I have to blame sci-fi at large for being obsessed with making super soldiers the size as Audre the Giant (or in the case of WH40K recently, bigger)

It's a common trope, It's intimidating and has plenty of cool factor but think about it: not only would normal grunts would have a hard time operating weapons made for the super soldier but it would be hard to impossible for super soldiers to likewise operate standard equipment. To my knowledge, don't think Audre the Giant ever used a fire arm and it may have been impossible for him to do so without one being costume made just for him.

Allot of our media depict elemental as big but body builder big vs Andre so I see the 8ft tall average as more as the extreme (unless we are talking in armor which may have been the original idea) as Elemental have used standard weapons and equipment (much like Master Chief of Halo) vs 40K where Astartes have to have everything made specially for them to point where a normal person using a Astarte weapon  becomes the 'wait, what!?' qestion.       
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2021, 12:56:15 »
much like Master Chief of Halo) vs 40K where Astartes have to have everything made specially for them to point where a normal person using a Astarte weapon  becomes the 'wait, what!?' qestion.       

Aye but considering the weight of the Mauser IIC at a mere 16kg for a gun, that actually works with Elemental's using such a heavy 'ol gun as their assault rifle (whereas most modern rifles weigh anywhere between 5 - 6kg at most)

And yeah it would be a bit weird, I could imagine that say on a Clan world in a bar, there might be a section for Elementals where stuff's just bigger (chairs, tables etc), same for the aerospace pheotypes.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2021, 21:25:27 »
The standard Mauser makes no sense outside of the role of a Squad Automatic Weapon and is a painful reminder that the folks at Fasa never looked up the weight of actual weapons but if you can make it fit canon, rock on.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2021, 06:51:00 »
The standard Mauser makes no sense outside of the role of a Squad Automatic Weapon and is a painful reminder that the folks at Fasa never looked up the weight of actual weapons but if you can make it fit canon, rock on.

Aye, or for people the scale of an Elemental. Its why in my Project Zhukov book I did the Mauser III which removes the grenade launcher and all the other bits and bobs as well as making it semi-auto to get the weight down to 8.5kg which is still bloody heavy for a rifle, but its not the 12kg of the Mauser IIC. As a banana for scale that's still about a kilo heavier than the M249 LMG but lighter than the famous- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M60_machine_gun

And yes it would have a hand grip fitted on a rail mounting, or a foregrip or handgrip/bayonette lug.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2021, 09:54:50 by marauder648 »

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2021, 11:21:41 »
I'm months late, but these are outstanding. I hope you've let your friend know how much we appreciated these.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Register