Author Topic: Old School Plastic Mechs and Primer  (Read 1570 times)

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
Old School Plastic Mechs and Primer
« on: 08 July 2019, 06:21:53 »
I'm asking about the old school plastic Mechs. The ones that came in the (I think) 2nd/3rd Edition boxed set. Not the Plastech ones, or the Introductory Boxed Set ones. Mostly Unseen with the variant stamped on the front of them...

I've cleaned a few of these Mechs up now and again, so I know most of the suggestions about dealing with that. What I want to know is about primer. After dealing with Reaper's new Bones minis it got me thinking, should I even primer these plastic Mechs.

So what I'm looking for is whether or not people have used primer, and what kind of success/problems they have had.

Thanks,

Caz

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Old School Plastic Mechs and Primer
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2019, 07:32:26 »
Way back in the day I almost never primed plastic minis, and the 3rd edition guys gave me no end of trouble with paint pooling and not covering evenly.  This might have been because I didn't bother cleaning them - after the fact a friend suggested soaking them in soapy water to remove any releasing agents remaining on the surface.  But that was 25 years ago...

These days I prime everything just to be on the safe side, and were I to get another batch of the 3rd edition plastics I'd prime them too.  I currently use Vallejo airbrush primer, before that I got cheap rattlecans of car primer from a car part shop in Dublin.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2019, 10:18:15 »
Had similar issues to Lorcan. I gave my 3rd Ed plastics a dose of Easy-Off oven cleaner - my preferred paint stripper - and that removed the mould release agent or whatever which made them problematic. Following that, brush-on primer/base coat.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2019, 12:41:16 »
I'm passed the point I can spray it down with Easy-Off or even soaking it (although I will file that away for the next one)... What I may do it run it under some water and use a toothbrush and dish soap... Hopefully that will take care of any residue... I'll probably primer this one then and see how well it works out...