Author Topic: Star Trek General Thread II: Strange New Posts  (Read 67276 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Star Trek General Thread II: Strange New Posts
« on: 23 April 2022, 02:48:44 »
And we're live!

Huh, looks like Lower Decks got a fourth season greenlit.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Star Trek General Thread II: Strange New Posts
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2022, 02:49:20 »
Yay!
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2022, 03:00:05 »
I feel like that was announced when they gave us the release dates for the live-action shows this year, but even so, hell yeah. 
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2022, 06:19:12 »
Warp Speed, NOW!

I can't wait to see what Strange New Worlds will be like.  The trailer was strange to me (no pun intended.)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2022, 06:51:15 »
can't argue the rightness of the title choice either-my suggestion was okay-ish, but 'Strange new posts" does fit, OH so much better.

What I'm hoping for:  Actual Trekkish Strangeness.  I wanna see some aliens that are outright alien and situations that are outright strange.  Pike's rep in Kirk's era, was as an explorer who handled some downright weird stuff. 

so...let's bring on the weird stuff!!
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2022, 07:13:32 »
I just want to see how they will find problem and solve problem in a hour. New Trek cant seem to do that really well in a whole season .
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2022, 09:29:42 »
I just want to see how they will find problem and solve problem in a hour. New Trek cant seem to do that really well in a whole season .

smaller, less galaxy-shattering problems.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2022, 11:52:40 »

I think DISCO has gotten into a good vibe of doing good hours of story, especially in series 4 (the problem is more around slowing the plot down when they shoot ahead and then need to fill like three episodes until the finale, IMO).  I'm not that worried on that front.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2022, 13:02:04 »
smaller, less galaxy-shattering problems.

Soooo much this.  Doesn't all need to be wrapped up nicely at the end either, like "A Private Little War" from the original series - not ideal an ideal outcome, but a workable one given the circumstances.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2022, 18:13:13 »
I can't wait to see how it develops.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2022, 19:35:26 »
I think DISCO has gotten into a good vibe of doing good hours of story, especially in series 4 (the problem is more around slowing the plot down when they shoot ahead and then need to fill like three episodes until the finale, IMO).  I'm not that worried on that front.

I will admit Season/Series 4 was better at that, but there were some episodes that went just about nowhere to solving the end of the story. Thank god they had only 13 episodes, not 20 or 26 like the other series.  Picard has 10 episodes and a couple episodes were so slow. 

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 23 April 2022, 22:18:37 »
Soooo much this.  Doesn't all need to be wrapped up nicely at the end either, like "A Private Little War" from the original series - not ideal an ideal outcome, but a workable one given the circumstances.

I think as an audience we've become conditioned to thinking in certain terms, including expecting perfect outcomes.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #12 on: 23 April 2022, 23:41:15 »
I will admit Season/Series 4 was better at that, but there were some episodes that went just about nowhere to solving the end of the story. Thank god they had only 13 episodes, not 20 or 26 like the other series.  Picard has 10 episodes and a couple episodes were so slow.

For Picard S2, there is always the possibility that the current arc will NOT be resolved by episode 10 and will continue into S3.  Which means there's a good chance that they find themselves back in the alternate Confederation future and the appearances by the rest of the TNG cast will be as evil versions of those characters--it'll be a reunion of the Worldrazer crew.

cheers,

Gabe

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 23 April 2022, 23:47:07 »
Warp Speed, NOW!

I can't wait to see what Strange New Worlds will be like.  The trailer was strange to me (no pun intended.)

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.  Remember, it's the same brain trust calling the shots.  Then again, maybe this is the series they've really wanted to do from the get-go.

Since they're already filming S2 and have introduced Kirk as a character, I'll admit I would like to see a Mirror Universe episode, but self-contained, with no crossover from the Prime universe. What I want to see from it is Evil Kirk assassinating Evil Pike and seizing command of the ISS Enterprise. (That, and I'm pretty sure the actors love doing them just to ham it up and completely subvert their white-hat characters.)

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2022, 08:00:02 »
For Picard S2, there is always the possibility that the current arc will NOT be resolved by episode 10 and will continue into S3.  Which means there's a good chance that they find themselves back in the alternate Confederation future and the appearances by the rest of the TNG cast will be as evil versions of those characters--it'll be a reunion of the Worldrazer crew.

cheers,

Gabe

They are already doing Mirror Universe TNG in comics form right now. Not quite the same thing though.

Ruger
« Last Edit: 24 April 2022, 08:45:54 by Ruger »
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #15 on: 24 April 2022, 08:17:20 »

I think we're broadly agreed here.  Like in the back half of series 4 I enjoyed the individual episodes while being increasingly frustrated at how s-l-o-w-l-y they moved to reach the 10-Cs

Picard has big pacing issues as well but they're different this year.  In order to have events happen at the right point in a 10-episode story, other arcs have to be slowed down, so in any given episode you'll have one storyline shoot forward while someone else gets waylaid in a sideplot that ultimately adds little to the overall story arc.  I'm still enjoying both shows overall but they could be so much better

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 24 April 2022, 09:14:15 »
There was something better about the Humans in the Confederation. They had to be smarter, stronger or something to take over all the species and powers in the Galaxy including the Borg. With the Shield over Earth there had to be some weakness and seeing that with Kore and Soong that one episode. That is something in the story that has yet to be explored along with a couple of other missed stories. Just a one off comment would be a little nice...they seem to do it about a couple of things in a episode.

Along the same lines....with 7 not having the Borg implants that would mean she is form that Confed universe.....why can she have no problem in the sun in 2024??

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #17 on: 24 April 2022, 10:08:38 »
The Confederation isn't the Mirror Universe, so they probably don't have the same sensitivity to light.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2022, 02:43:45 »
Yeah, I assume the shield over Earth is both defensive and, potentially, environmental in the Confederation timeline.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2022, 09:43:48 »
The Confederation isn't the Mirror Universe, so they probably don't have the same sensitivity to light.

And that was an utterly unnecessary retcon made by the DISCO writers.

cheers,

Gabe

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #20 on: 25 April 2022, 10:29:51 »
I think people are trying to suggest Confederation humans are like Korhe.  That UV light is actually outright lethal, not just a moderate annoyance.

Which is a stretch to say the least.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 25 April 2022, 13:29:16 »

cheers,

Gabe

nah they're quirte on track to resolve things.
The Suns will shine again

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 25 April 2022, 14:02:52 »
nah they're quirte on track to resolve things.

And it'll be extremely rushed and unearned.

Cheers,

Gabe

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 25 April 2022, 14:54:18 »

Cheers,

Gabe

... are you watching the same series I am?

the problem was that Picards ancestor didn't get on the trip. JLP managed to nudge her, mostly back on course. and now the real trick is 1: preventing Q or Soong from screwing it up again. 2: stop the borg queen from further altering the past. 3: get home
The Suns will shine again

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 25 April 2022, 16:21:06 »

Cheers,

Gabe

That seems to be new Trek with the quick answers to season long problems. With season 3 going to take place still taking place in 2024 its not going to be resolved until season 3. Its the attempt of the cliffhanger of "Mr. Worf.....FIRE!"

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: 26 April 2022, 10:04:18 »
With season 3 going to take place still taking place in 2024 its not going to be resolved until season 3.

Has that been announced anywhere? All I've seen is the "cast reunited" thing.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #26 on: 26 April 2022, 10:25:15 »
All we know is that production of series 2 and 3 have been back to back.  If were a betting man and working under the assumption that this hasn't been done to accommodate Patrick Stewart's schedule or some other real-life logistical concern, I'd say the crew will be back in the 25th century by the end of series 2 and possibly continuing to fight the new Borg Queen in series 3 or something like that.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 26 April 2022, 10:33:38 »
All we know is that production of series 2 and 3 have been back to back.  If were a betting man and working under the assumption that this hasn't been done to accommodate Patrick Stewart's schedule or some other real-life logistical concern, I'd say the crew will be back in the 25th century by the end of series 2 and possibly continuing to fight the new Borg Queen in series 3 or something like that.
sounds like a reasonable speculation to me, they haven't changed writers or showrunners recently, have they? because that can derail things horribly with an extended plotline.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: 26 April 2022, 11:03:19 »
Patrick Stewart is one of the showrunners on Picard. And he hasn't been changed :)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 26 April 2022, 11:10:59 »
Patrick Stewart is one of the showrunners on Picard. And he hasn't been changed :)

then it can only get better.