Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen  (Read 223299 times)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen
« Reply #1410 on: 16 July 2018, 12:55:26 »
I think for the MUL, giving away stock introductory variants is enough.  Also, put up a donation link.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1411 on: 16 July 2018, 13:05:14 »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #1412 on: 16 July 2018, 13:43:50 »
  Also, put up a donation link.

Hobotech.

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #1413 on: 16 July 2018, 13:46:33 »
Hobotech.

You're slipping.

HoboTech, the Game of Homeless Artists.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1414 on: 16 July 2018, 13:47:27 »
I think for the MUL, giving away stock introductory variants is enough.  Also, put up a donation link.

I'm so confused because I admittedly missed the context for your post. That being said, "huh?"

Can someone qualify this statement for me?

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #1415 on: 16 July 2018, 13:50:42 »
You're slipping.

HoboTech, the Game of Homeless Artists.

Age is a killer. I don’t have kids around like you to keep me young and welladjusted.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2018, 14:16:47 by Paul »
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #1416 on: 16 July 2018, 13:55:38 »
Age is a killer. I don’t have kids around like you to keep me toung and welladjusted.

Well....adjusted at any rate.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #1417 on: 16 July 2018, 14:02:51 »
What's wrong with asking for people to donate so the MUL can improve?  Man, you guys just crap on every idea.

I'm so confused because I admittedly missed the context for your post. That being said, "huh?"

RE:  Record Sheets-
You are right . . . free sheets does not get cash flow going to CGL . . . which is IMO why we have the backlog of RS from TROs.  Honestly, with everything that is out there- Heavy Metal being old official, MML and SSW, the BA spreadsheet and all the other tools, I think releasing RS was a money loser.  Not sure releasing recordsheets outside of 'ready to play' boxes is a good idea.  I know HMP and its suite is out of date, but I still print my sheets out on that with the updated weapons files and for things that it does not cover I leave the crits/weight empty and put in notes.

IMO it might be time to admit they do not want to do RS any more, give me the raw stats so I can fill out that Juliano with Clan ERLL I have been waiting to use and in the future with TROs put in the simple report at the back where people with the programs- or filling a sheet out by hand!- can make the sheet for their play.  By all means, find someone who wants to write the latest licensed RS producing software- I would buy that to update from HMP- but I think print RS might be a dodo.

That's what I was thinking of.  The MUL hands out free record sheets for Alpha Strike.  I figured, at a minimum, having record sheets for BattleTech at an introductory level would be OK.  And if cash flow is a big thing, why not just ask for donations for the MUL?  People already fund miniature sculpts.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2018, 14:14:27 by Fear Factory »
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #1418 on: 16 July 2018, 14:14:42 »

I think he Means the MUL Gives a record sheet for the STOCK/Default Variant (I.e. A Jenner JR7-D but none of the others).

Donating to the MUL gets access to the rest.

That said...sure. $5/month subscription seems fine to me.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1419 on: 16 July 2018, 14:23:32 »
Huh. Interesting thought.

As a guy that has all the Unabridged for Printing, I can see how getting all those record sheets is a pain for new folks.

Not a bad idea. I'd contribute. Interesting question would be how much does each user need to contribute to make it economically viable to do it that way?

cypher226

• Corporal
« Reply #1420 on: 16 July 2018, 14:32:42 »
As a returning player the process of assembling a full set of record sheets has been, frankly, excruciating. I want to jump back in but honestly it's ridiculous.

I don't want to fill in sheets by hand, and HMP is sadly out of date and only just compatible with Windows 10.

As the game completely relies on record sheets, we need a readily accessible, comprehensive source of record sheets.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #1421 on: 16 July 2018, 14:33:07 »
Age is a killer. I don’t have kids around like you to keep me young and welladjusted.

I'll send you out a loaner. You can teach him all about using Society 'Mechs.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1422 on: 16 July 2018, 14:41:01 »
As a returning player the process of assembling a full set of record sheets has been, frankly, excruciating. I want to jump back in but honestly it's ridiculous.

I don't want to fill in sheets by hand, and HMP is sadly out of date and only just compatible with Windows 10.

As the game completely relies on record sheets, we need a readily accessible, comprehensive source of record sheets.

Well... there is one, or at least mostly comprehensive. The only problem is that it's an unofficial source.

There are also a whole bunch of unabridged PDF record sheet volumes available from catalyst or drive thru games, however, covering most of what's out there. 
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #1423 on: 16 July 2018, 15:01:10 »

Agreed. Total Warfare needs something like the MUL: a one-stop shop for recordsheets. Sadly, paying a developer to build such a system is not a small or inexpensive task. MegaMekLab is about the best there is at the moment, but the printing support is...iffy. If it works with your printer/drivers then it is great, but that may not be the case. I don't blame the MML team for that at all. Printers are consistently some of the worst things I've had to deal with in my own life as a developer.

However, in my personal opinion, CGL doesn't need to make printed record sheet products anymore. PDF-only for any and all record sheets is just fine with me.

Oh yeah, and can we get RS3150 NTNU sometime this year? Those units might actually matter more with the timeline moving forward, and it would be great to have record sheets so we can use them.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1424 on: 16 July 2018, 15:02:38 »
RS: 3150 NTNU would definitely get my dollar, amendment 2nded.

cypher226

• Corporal
« Reply #1425 on: 16 July 2018, 15:47:03 »
Yeah, I'm switching to MML for the most part, but it's not as user friendly as HMP used to be. I miss HMP's mech selection interface within the program and the different ways to filter by bv/weight/tech etc.

Honestly, kickstart a new mech design software package and sell me files of record sheets, like HeroLab does with files for each game. Expecting people to do tons of complicated maths to build or modify a new unit is just not realistic in this day and age, and the inaccessibility will be a bigger barrier to new players than the nostalgiafest of reusing old cover art will be.

At minimum, a product that produces stock record sheets and will allow me to enter a pilot name and adjust the cost based on gunnery/piloting would be a good new player product.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1426 on: 16 July 2018, 16:07:41 »
Yeah, I'm switching to MML for the most part, but it's not as user friendly as HMP used to be. I miss HMP's mech selection interface within the program and the different ways to filter by bv/weight/tech etc.

I still use HMP, someone released a patch bundle that had the new weapons loaded so you did not have to put them in by hand- equipment and armor type were still not included, and so I have to put them in the clear crit spaces by hand as well as writing down some details on the sheet.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #1427 on: 16 July 2018, 20:31:59 »
Just a minor tidbit from the front page I thought one or two of you might be interested in.

https://bg.battletech.com/news/first-look-miniatures-from-upcoming-boxed-sets/
« Last Edit: 16 July 2018, 20:42:23 by Moonsword »

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1428 on: 16 July 2018, 20:47:00 »
I'm so glad to see they will make it in time for GenCon!

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #1429 on: 16 July 2018, 20:47:42 »
I'd never pay for access to the MUL Website, but as I've said from its inception, I'd pay for my own copy of its database.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1430 on: 16 July 2018, 20:53:25 »
Just a minor tidbit from the front page I thought one or two of you might be interested in.

https://bg.battletech.com/news/first-look-miniatures-from-upcoming-boxed-sets/
Well, that's just mean.  Two new and different Bill Keith stories with one EXCLUSIVE to each box set.  That's the "Shut Up and Take My Money" hook I go for!
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1431 on: 16 July 2018, 21:05:15 »
Well, that's just mean.  Two new and different Bill Keith stories with one EXCLUSIVE to each box set.  That's the "Shut Up and Take My Money" hook I go for!

I'd hoped to get some preview text from one or both stories into tonight's post, and will still try to get some before their release to whet your appetite a little more.

Thanks to Moonsword for the assist on posting and relaying the link!
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #1432 on: 16 July 2018, 21:21:04 »
I need those box sets.  They look amazing.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1433 on: 16 July 2018, 21:43:37 »
I’m interested to see the rulebook in the GoAC box. It’s vastly cut down from the ‘07/11/13 version

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1434 on: 16 July 2018, 22:46:36 »
I’m interested to see the rulebook in the GoAC box. It’s vastly cut down from the ‘07/11/13 version

Looks roughly the same to me.

I'm happy to see these! The minis look great.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1435 on: 16 July 2018, 23:11:42 »
Looks roughly the same to me.

48 pages vs 80. We’re back down to our 4th ed weight

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1436 on: 16 July 2018, 23:13:36 »
48 pages vs 80. We’re back down to our 4th ed weight

Ah, I didn't catch that. I was just eyeballing.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1437 on: 16 July 2018, 23:18:41 »
I’m guessing all the advanced scenarios introing TW level gear, infantry, and vehicles have been cut. I assume the construction rules remain intact but who knows

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1438 on: 16 July 2018, 23:23:32 »
Those box sets are things of beauty indeed. Cannot wait to get a hold of these!

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

cypher226

• Corporal
« Reply #1439 on: 17 July 2018, 06:44:03 »
Even more excited now.

Any chance of a photo of the Commando and Locust?

Register