Author Topic: House Arano, the Aurigan Coalition  (Read 3449 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
House Arano, the Aurigan Coalition
« on: 21 August 2021, 17:32:00 »
I had been postponing buing this for a while because of other previous projects. Now that I did it I am glad that I did and could dedicate the proper attention to it.

I really liked some parts of it and some others not so much.

First the good.

The book is very well structured and makes sensible use of art from the HBS game and new art.
I liked the story of the coalition and the irony of Kamea being the second Director of the Aurigan Coalition. The Arano restoration is that: putting back the Aranos in powr but keepung with the espinosas policies. Oh the irony of that and the laugh I had.

the presentation of the forces is great, and the escenarios are cool as well.

The planet descriptions are very good, and can be milked for a lot of RPG escenarios and campaigns.

What I did not like so much.
The whole aurigan coalition has 4 batallions of mechs (plus a company) + mercs. The mercs as described seem to be small, so they add an extra batallion to the forces. 3 of the 4 arano forces are exclsuively formed by light mechs. So, they have less than 36 medium or superior mechs. I find this to be too low. the a ctions of Rampart Company are supposed to have brough A LOT of salvage in, so the listed forces do not seem to match post RESTORED HOPE.

And then we get the thing that made me cringe: the rampart Company. It makes no sense at all to have those acting all secret and neaky. I can understand the out of universe action of saying "paint each mech in the boxed set and starter set in whatwver scheme you fancy and they WILL be the Rampart Company." But in universe that unit is not a plausible deniability asset at all and should have ben a house unit painted as such. The whole escenarios being built around the rampart company is a waste of focus IMO.

I also consider it a pitty that no attention was put into alpha strike at all. This is a Classic Battletech product (grognard BT a my group calls it) where the escenarios could have been presented as AS escenarios as well doubling the number of units, for example.

The fact that the people (and nobility) is OK with Kamea not undoing the Espinosa directorate is also a letdown. there is A LOT of potential here for presenting a fractious council in more detail instead of glossing over the post-restoration situation a business as usual. The Rampart Company killing one of the founding houses would have been a great escenario, for example.

All in all a good book, well written and that reads well presenting a suitable faction. I liked it and will extract a lot of ideas from it, but there are some rough edges that could be improved.

Cheers
Xavi

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: House Arano, the Aurigan Coalition
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2021, 22:22:08 »
as far as the numbers of mechs.. keep in mind the videogame massively infalted the number of mechs available in the periphery, by roughly an order of magnitude. in the game (even if you don't take lots of side missions)  you basically fight through enough mechs to make up the entire AFFC, crammed into one small periphery state.

the house Arano book represents the official version of the setting, where mechs are much more rare. so there being about a regiment and a half is actually pretty high numbers for a minor periphery power with only a dozen worlds. it also helps explain how a merc unit composed of only one Lance could turn the tide of battle so effectively during the restoration. since on most worlds they'd only be facing maybe two lances to a company total for the whole world, and the restoration might only have a lance or two of their own (plus whatever tanks and infantry both sides would have on hand)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2021, 07:15:16 »
The problem comes when Morgraines Valkyriate or the pirates of butte hold has more mechs than the aurigan coalition.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2021, 08:31:18 »
Well, ComStar (and whoever else) saw fit to put the Valkyrate and Butte Hold on their starmaps, but at the same time felt the entire Aurigan Reach region wasn't worth mentioning...
In this regard it is consistent.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2021, 01:23:01 »
The whole aurigan coalition has 4 batallions of mechs (plus a company) + mercs.

Where you getting 4 Battalions.

Pretty sure its 5 companies.

Royal Guards Company, 1st through 3rd Regulars plus Rampart Company.

The book also pretty much describes the pre-civil war Aurigan Army as being somewhere around 7-8 Battalions. [Each of the founding houses maintaining a 'mech battalion]

And in the cutscene from the start of the game you see four Unions in Espinosa colours landing on the capital. Which fits with a battalion scale force.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2021, 01:29:34 by VhenRa »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2021, 01:57:46 »
The problem comes when Morgraines Valkyriate or the pirates of butte hold has more mechs than the aurigan coalition.

Well good news!

They don't.

The Aurigans outnumber both your examples combined by at least a battalion.

EDIT: In fact, four or five battalions of troops puts them in the number four spot of known periphery states at the time, in terms of raw mech strength. Pre war they were probably #3. If anything the Aurigans have an embarrassment of riches for a state less worthy of being charted than the frikin Micanos.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2021, 02:05:58 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2021, 14:02:38 »
Typo. Read companies where i posted batallions, a VhenRa said

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2021, 21:22:04 »
Honestly, it looks like their civil war destroyed over 70% of their army.