Author Topic: CSO paint-along with Gunji  (Read 217785 times)

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
Re: CSO paint-along with Gunji
« Reply #210 on: 29 March 2015, 14:30:51 »
Here's my WiP.
I chose a no-canon sceme with multi colored parts just to make exercises with this technic:
WIPPING 003 by agen2, on Flickr
« Last Edit: 30 March 2015, 09:38:21 by agen2 »

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #211 on: 30 March 2015, 09:40:13 »
I think you are off to a very good start. I like your choice of color. Thumbs up for shading with purple :)

One suggestion I have would be regarding the way you have shaded the front of the cockpit. It looks like you have shaded with purple towards the middle along the entire length. You can create a more dramatic effect and direct the eye to the cockpit by shading from dark (top) to light (bottom) along the length. I have attached a quick mockup to show what I mean.

Looking forward to the next steps!

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #212 on: 30 March 2015, 09:54:02 »
I think you are off to a very good start. I like your choice of color. Thumbs up for shading with purple :)

One suggestion I have would be regarding the way you have shaded the front of the cockpit. It looks like you have shaded with purple towards the middle along the entire length. You can create a more dramatic effect and direct the eye to the cockpit by shading from dark (top) to light (bottom) along the length. I have attached a quick mockup to show what I mean.

Looking forward to the next steps!

Are you talking about the cockpit or the flesh/purple spots?
I thought to make smaller portions to paint x learn well this technique,i feel more confident,but at the same time you've got to memorize lot's of small portions. ;D

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
    • darklined.com
« Reply #213 on: 30 March 2015, 10:08:32 »
I am talking about the "bridge" between the cockpit screens.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #214 on: 30 March 2015, 12:28:20 »
Well thanks Gunji... let's make practice now.
I have some question about the pigments.I just picked up a good range of color and read the useful tutorial on camospecs from Psicho but maybe for a language barrier or I missed something,but still I haven't any idea about the right ratio for dilution.
Are you going to mix it with water,or seems like Psicho used alcool.I think the ratio it will change if used for terrain or used for aging.I thought to send you a PM for this answers,but I think we can throw in the discussion other people as well.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
    • darklined.com
« Reply #215 on: 30 March 2015, 14:31:53 »
Well, Psycho differentiates between dry and wet applications in his article. I didn't re-read everything in detail, but for the wet applications he moistens the surface with a little rubbing alcohol and then applies the pigments with a dry brush or he picks up pigments with an alcohol moistened brush and then uses another alcohol moistened brush to move the pigments around, creating streaks. For the dry application just  pick up some pigments with a dry brush and stipple them on. Less is more in my experience. But the good thing about pigments is that you can easily remove (most of) them again using a moist brush.

Actually mixing the pigments with water (or alcohol) is another option. As with the paint, the less you dilute, the more intense the 'paint' will be. Also, the pigments will always leave a texture.

On the Mjolnir (almost always really) I applied pigments dry by stippling them on with a short haired stiff brush. For gaming minis the pigments then can be fixed with a drop of alcohol or pigment fixer (and varnish). This is not necessary for miniature just sitting in the display cabinet.

dsteelegm

• Recruit
« Reply #216 on: 17 October 2019, 09:46:12 »
Just finishes following along with this tutorial, but in a wolverine zeta galaxy scheme. Thanks for the hard work Gunji; here is my end result.