Author Topic: New AS/old BT player with critical hit questions  (Read 147 times)

Desert Scribe

• Recruit
New AS/old BT player with critical hit questions
« on: 18 May 2024, 10:05:27 »
Hello! New guy here, and this is my first post. I just got the Alpha Strike boxed set (reading the free online rules convinced me), and I'm excited to get back into the universe of giant stompy robots.

I played Battletech back when it first came out, and played Alpha Strike once at a game convention several years ago. These days, I have more money and less time than I did as a teen, and I enjoy Alpha Strike's quicker game play--it's like Federation Commander in comparison to Starfleet Battles.

Right now, I am working on getting the Mechs painted and understanding the rules so I can run a scenario for my gaming group. As I do that, I have a couple of questions about critical hits:
  • When rolling attacks, a natural 12 is a critical hit, but does the target also take damage in the usual manner? I want to say yes based on the yes/no process on page 21 of the quick-start rulebook, but it's not explicitly spelled out.
  • If a natural 12 attack also damages the target's structure, does it result in a second critical hit? Same reasoning as above.

Thanks in advance!

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
Re: New AS/old BT player with critical hit questions
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2024, 10:18:48 »
Yes to both.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Desert Scribe

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2024, 10:33:35 »
Thanks for the quick reply!

I have a followup question: What happens on a second ammo critical hit when the target has CASE? No effect because the ammo was already destroyed?

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2024, 10:38:03 »
Thanks for the quick reply!

I have a followup question: What happens on a second ammo critical hit when the target has CASE? No effect because the ammo was already destroyed?

Nope, another Ammo bay is hit with the same results.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Desert Scribe

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2024, 10:45:32 »
Thanks, that makes sense.

By the way, what does CASE stand for?

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2024, 11:25:35 »
Thanks, that makes sense.

By the way, what does CASE stand for?

Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Desert Scribe

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2024, 13:21:23 »
I appreciate all your help. It's going to be fun getting back into this.