Author Topic: Need planetary maps for a Campaign  (Read 6302 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: Need planetary maps for a Campaign
« Reply #30 on: 20 July 2019, 13:47:04 »
HE'S A (supremely helpful) MADMAN

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #31 on: 20 July 2019, 13:53:06 »
Thank you, NeonKnight. This is going to be fun, and kind of crazy, because I've never done something with this much detail before.  :D

HE'S A (supremely helpful) MADMAN

I know!
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #32 on: 20 July 2019, 14:23:37 »
Honestly...not that hard ;)

I used the following software:

https://www.profantasy.com/products/ft.asp#&panel1-1

And I made a blank Map template in:

https://www.profantasy.com/products/cc3.asp

the Main Software
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #33 on: 20 July 2019, 14:49:52 »
Still, much appreciated.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #34 on: 20 July 2019, 21:37:21 »
ProFantasy is on my list to buy after retirement.  I fear if I bought it before then, I'd never get enough sleep to do my day job...

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #35 on: 21 July 2019, 11:20:02 »
The only other thing I want to ask:  Any advice on making an Alpha Strike campaign?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #36 on: 21 July 2019, 11:38:10 »
consider that losses are going to be much higher than in CBT. AS chaos campaign only gives a mech a chance of not being slagged on 7+ if destroyed during the mission.

battle size is important - how long do you want the game to be? i'm not as familiar with the pacing of AS games, but I always try to keep my campaign missions finisable in three hours with a way to have clear objective resolution if time runs out.

planning is important - i start with the big picture: setting, background, and major objectives (e.g. find who in the AFFS is selling arms to capellan-backed rebels in the chaos march or capture a key spaceport to support the main allied landings on Cor Caroli). then make sure you create a reasonable framework to get to that objective. I usually do three phases of 4-6 missions... but for a book, maybe three phases of three or two of four to keep yourself sane.

missions should have clear consequences for objectives completely / not completed. didn't destroy the spy's rotunda? he got back to report your position and now an enemy armor company shows up turn five of the next game. Successfully destroy the ammo depot? Enemy units can't use their LRM, SRM, AC, etc abilities (or spotrule a -25% damage to non-ENE mechs for the remainder of the campaign phase). branching missions can get messy but the above is doable with an IF/THEN paragraph in the next scenario.

if you plan on releasing it for others to play without you, playtest the scenarios.

i'll add more if i think of anything

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #37 on: 22 July 2019, 09:14:58 »
I'm just wondering how easy or hard it is to use the Chaos Campaign system in the long term.