Author Topic: 3025 - How Common was LosTech?  (Read 2316 times)

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Re: 3025 - How Common was LosTech?
« Reply #60 on: 09 April 2024, 05:49:07 »
I haven't found a tiger in my basement, that doesn't mean if people keep going to my basement they won't eventually find one, it might just mean there's no tiger in my basement. Likewise it's possiable there simply AREN'T any fully intact Promethus Databases left

Most likely. Would make a cool story background for it's own Battletech series though: the quest for the holy Grail uhm Prometheus. Also: what technologies would still be considered "undiscovered" that th database could hold? The Caspar tech? Or perhaps the more intrusive terraforming technologies?

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 09 April 2024, 08:54:00 »
I hope they never find one and if they did, I would hope it would not be distributed widely like the Helm memory core was.

Why?

The universe is more fun that way. Some "all-knowing, all the secrets revealed" database of the First Star League would eradicate a lot of mystery. It would close doors to open/future creativity.

If someone did find some all-complete data core and reveal all of its secrets. I'd give it a few years before the canon writers felt the need to go... "Oh wait...ummm turns out that database wasn't as complete as everyone thought, because we have a cool new story idea and it's based on a mystery thing dating back to the Star League. For this story to make sense it needs to pop up as a completely unknown new thing.. from the past!"

Making that era an open book removes a lot of story potential.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 09:00:14 by Alan Grant »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #62 on: 09 April 2024, 19:12:17 »
honestly, i'd make the absence of a complete database a plot hook itself.. have a group dedicated to trying to rebuild the database, by collecting the fragments that have been found and cross referencing them (and the various ID codes, file names, indexes, etc) in an attempt to reconstruct it. maybe even learn something of what parts are missing, based on cross-references and fragments.

to which end their founding agencies and individuals might be willing to recruit people to go search for star league relics, or conduct raids into the archives of various IS state entities to copy materials they can't get normally.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 19:13:57 by glitterboy2098 »

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 12 April 2024, 01:29:15 »
honestly, i'd make the absence of a complete database a plot hook itself.. have a group dedicated to trying to rebuild the database, by collecting the fragments that have been found and cross referencing them (and the various ID codes, file names, indexes, etc) in an attempt to reconstruct it. maybe even learn something of what parts are missing, based on cross-references and fragments.

to which end their founding agencies and individuals might be willing to recruit people to go search for star league relics, or conduct raids into the archives of various IS state entities to copy materials they can't get normally.

I mean 40k manages to drive an entire faction (the Ad Mech) through exactly that so it's an idea with legs
The Suns will shine again

Register